Your Moderator Nomination - Accept or Decline

Discussion in 'POLLS AND ELECTIONS' started by Maljonic, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Maljonic Administrator

The following people have been nominated as moderators, please post here if you accept the nomination or decline the nomination, after that we can have Yes and No votes for each person, or something similar.

I'll update the list as we go along and PM anyone that doesn't answer in case they haven't seen it. :)

[color=green:0d74aa95f4]Ba - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Buzzfloyd - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Tonyblack - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Electric_Man - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Cynical_Youth - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=olive:0d74aa95f4]Garner - Decline[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Marcia - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Rincewind - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Doors - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Mynona - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=olive:0d74aa95f4]Saccharissa - Decline[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Maljonic - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
    [color=green:0d74aa95f4]Cat - Accept[/color:0d74aa95f4]
  2. Electric_Man Templar

I accept, Cat also accepted in the other thread.
  3. Cat New Member

[quote:16759b9308="Electric_Man"]I accept, Cat also accepted in the other thread.[/quote:16759b9308]

I did indeed.

And yet another post to help me towards that desired 'member' status :wink:
  4. Cat New Member

I posted this in the other thread:
    [quote:0daa44362a]There is one other matter: how many moderators do we want?
    I have no idea, I have never moderated a board. I willing to learn though.
    The only other board I regularly visit, has three. I think 5 would be better, so that we can keep things running smoothly when some of the mods aren't available.[/quote:0daa44362a]

If we are to vote yes of no to each individual nominee(is this a word?), that could mean we end up with more moderators then desired. Can't we make a poll in which everyone can, lets say, vote for a maximum of three people of the above list? The top 3/4/5 or whatever number of mods we decide on, could be appointed then. I don't know if we are able to set up a poll like that though. Mal, your thoughts?

Or you'd have to make it a two-step process: first vote yes or no for every individual member (what percentage would be the cut-off point?) and then vote in a second round with the ones who got the most votes to make out the actual mods.

Hmm, now that I think this over again, we could do the second option in one round as well. The advantage being every member can judge every individual nominee and not having to choose beforehand. You would get a listing of members names with percentages. We'd still have to decide on the number of mods though, and preferably before we have compiled the list, I think.
    Still, I think we'd be better off if we decide on a maximum number of people everyone can vote for to be a mod. I think most (if not all) members that are on the list would get everyones vote. And then the 'ranking-list' (for lack of a better word) would be rather useless.

I've been rambling on a bit here, I hope it makes sense. If not, please ask and I'll be happy to clarify the twists and loops of my thinking process. :)
  5. Cynical_Youth New Member

I accept. Not sure about the voting process. I was thinking 3 to 5 votes per member.
  6. Tonyblack Guest

I'll accept. Thank you to everyone that nominated me.
  7. Mynona Member

I also accept though I must confess that I was a bit surprised to have been nominated.

Not sure about the voting process but I think that about 5 moderators (for now at least) should be enough. That way the board should run smoothly despite vacations, weddings and whatnots :wink:
  8. Maljonic Administrator

I don’t think it would matter if all those names were made moderators, it isn’t [i:c63ecee188]that[/i:c63ecee188] many – we can, if we like, split them up a bit so that different moderators are responsible for different forums. We can also have someone responsible for the FAQs, which on here is a module in itself separate from the forums – nothing to do with the Board Usage FAQ above, but we could incorporate that all into the same thing if we like? There’s also the story submissions at the top that someone can be responsible for, all submitted stories have to be approved by someone before they appear on the page.

As for the votes, I assumed everyone would just vote Yes or No for each person and all those with a majority of Yes votes would be accepted as moderators - with a possible rethink if the votes were too closely hung on anyone? :)

P.S. I just wanted to add that I think it would be a good idea to draw up a little moderators' constitution, or rules to make them as accountable as everyone else. A clear definition of the moderators' role on the boards that anyone can read at any time? It could go in a moderator section down at the bottom where we could also keep copies of deleted posts and actions taken, all out in the open with no hidden stuff going on.

P.P.S. I also wanted to say that none of this ever has to be final, we can always nominate other moderators in the future. In fact I think these polls are a great way to put suggestions like this forward in the future.

I'd also like to say again that I'm enjoying all this voting and election stuff - it's all very wizardly in an Unseen University kind of way, only more organized. :)
  9. Marcia Executive Onion

10. Ba Lord of the Pies

What the heck. Ba accepts.
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

If I'd seen this thread, I wouldn't have posted in the other one! I accept, and I also wondered about the number of mods. However, Mal's right that we could just give different mods different responsibilities, and just have a handful of universal ones.

I like the ideas about the mods' constitution and the copies of deleted stuff.
  12. Maljonic Administrator

Now there's only Saccharissa, Doors and Garner to accept or decline- I know that Doors isn't around at the moment and I guess Saccharissa hasn't seen this yet; I'm also guessing that Garner is staying out of the whole thing to let stuff run its natural course without him, which is a pity but entirely up to him? :)
  13. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Garner will be replying soon.
  14. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Thank you, but I decline.
  15. Orrdos God

Meh.

I'll accept.
  16. Maljonic Administrator

Cool, only one left. :)
  17. Saccharissa Stitcher

I already posted in the other thread that I'm afraid I have to decline, on the grounds that I would be pants at it.

I am still very grateful for your confidence in me.
  18. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:2a270b4f9e="Saccharissa"]I already posted in the other thread that I'm afraid I have to decline, on the grounds that I would be pants at it.

I am still very grateful for your confidence in me.[/quote:2a270b4f9e]Oh, sorry, I missed that. :)