What the world eats

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hsing, May 10, 2007.

1. Hsing Moderator

Interesting photo documentary - not quite new but still- about what a few families across the world eat in one week.
    Peter Menzel Photography: Hungry Planet

I've sorted a little for easier viewing, as the pictures are spread over various pages showing excerpts from the book.

Australia
    Peter Menzel Photography:Recent Stories

Buthan

China

Equador

France

Germany

Greenland

Japan

Kuweit

Mexico

Phillipines

Poland

Tchad

USA

In the actual book, the stuff the families eat outside the house - McDonalds, the cantina, reastaurants, etc- is also shown, if I understood correctly. It is at least in a few cases, and changes the picture for some family members dramatically, and also the relation between the mass of stuff families in different countries eat.

I also wonder of the families from the more "overweight" countries like Germany or the USa have been, er, well, controlled. Knowing me, there'd be a few Mars bars missing in our pic... :D

I am thinking of doing this for a week for us, as soon as I have a camera... It's a big project, though.
  2. Maljonic Administrator

I saw a book of photographs on Tuesday where the photographer had gone around the world taking pictures of families and all their possessions. Each time he got the family to remove every item from inside their house and place them outside in the street, or field or desert (depending on where they lived), and took a picture of the family with them sitting amongst everything they own outside their house.

One family as all their stuff on a raised platform held up by a crane, because their home was in a 3rd floor apartment, outside their windows.
  3. spiky Bar Wench

I found that somewhat disturbing. The Australians had so little vege matter, only the americans had less vegetable matter in their diets. No wonder we're so fat. Although it is a great resource for my class, thanks.
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

It was very interesting. The Chadi picture really just shuts you up and puts you off your breakfast :sad: I found the German one funny because everything was so neatly arranged :biggrin: Shame England wasn't on there...
  5. missy New Member

I'm glad England wasn't on there. The camera would have had to be a panoramic to fit in all the food we eat in our house......
  6. Hsing Moderator

:D I noticed that too...
    And I am sure England was in the book.
  7. mowgli New Member

Awesome thread, Hsing, thanks :)!
    3 most startling things for me:

- The Chad photo (nacherly!)

- The two tomatoes and a bunch of grapes on the American family's table (as opposed to oceans of produce on pretty much everyone else's).

- There was no Ukrainian (or Russian) representative, but I figured Poland would be close enough... and they seemed to have THE most food! Maybe still trying to make up for the Communist era...

My parents actually have a 17-year-old photo somewhere, of me beaming next to a week's worth of grocery shopping. It was a pretty small pile compared to what's in many of those photos (we were fresh off the plane, then, and living on foodstamps), but it was still amazing enough to send a copy to my grandparents back in Kiev, with a caption "Can you believe it's possible to actually EAT it all?"

Although, when I went back to Kiev a few years ago, it looked as though there was a greater food variety THERE, than there is HERE :)p (probably because they import from both the US and Europe, while here, European foods tend to live in small, half-hidden specialty stores while the rest of the population eats American)
  8. Perdita New Member

This is a great thread! It's really got me thinking about what people eat and supply and demand of food. - I love Mowgli's comment about the picture sent to her grandparents in Kiev, a really interesting point to make and quite historic!

anyway the pics....

I know whats on everyone's tables is a representation of what is in their food cupboard. As additional (future) photos I would love to see what they actually cook -I would love to know recepies that eash of the families pull together to feed their families and perhaps sample food diaries of what an individual from each place actually ended up eating in a particular week.
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I can't help thinking it would be more telling to see what each person in each family actually ate at breakfast for, say, a month.
  10. Hsing Moderator

Breakfast? What was that again?:razz:
    I eat relatively healthy, if you put my small chocolate fetish aside, but I keep forgetting breakfast.
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

You have a chocolate fetish ? I honestly don't think anyone who was at Dutchcon could say they noticed that.

They couldn't because their mouths are still full of giant milka bars :biggrin:
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

You know, I don't know why, but for some reason I thought the pictures in the first post were what all the families ate for breakfast only. Hence my comment.