What are we called?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by TheLuggage, Dec 1, 2008.

1. TheLuggage New Member

Star Trek has trekkies.
    Star Wars has Jedis...
    Red Dwarf fans are smeg heads...

What are Terry Pratchett fans called?

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but i'm new around here. :redface:

cheers
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Prats? :D

Pterrites? Discophiles?

No idea...
  3. Saccharissa Stitcher

I vote for Banananananana Daquiris
  4. Hsing Moderator

Buzzfloyd, I think, once coined the term "Disciples". :)
  5. TheLuggage New Member

Disciples... very cool.. :wink:

so there isn't an 'official' name for us yet.. Maybe we should ask Pterry.
  6. Maljonic Administrator

I like that, Disciples - only the chosen know how to pronounce it so as not to confuse themselves with Christians. On paper they are totally incognito. :)
  7. TheLuggage New Member

Maybe we should try and organise something more 'official'...
    wonder if we could run a poll or something...get some votes on names for ourselves..
  8. Ba Lord of the Pies

What is that? Vile democracy? On this board? This shall not stand! The term shall be disciples henceforth. So Saith Ba.
  9. redneck New Member

As it is spaketh by Ba, so shall it be written.
  10. Gypsy New Member

Disciples has far too much of a religious ring about it.
    (It's not it's fault, it just happened that way, I know)

Granted, we are fervent admirers of Terry's work, but it sounds rather cultish.

Not that I have any better suggestions, just putting in my two cents.
  11. mowgli New Member

Even if we pronounce it "diskiples"? (Then, rather than cultish, we go for both ignorant and pretentious - like that guy who pronounces "façade" like "fakaid") :tongue:
  12. TheLuggage New Member

But we ARE a cult aren't we?
  13. TamyraMcG Active Member

I don't know about you but I am reading all the discworld novels in order this winter, except I didn't start with the first one, so you can't really call me obsessed, can you?
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

I like diskiples...
  15. randywine Member

I don't want to be in a cult - I can't even remember the last goat I sacrificed.
  16. spiky Bar Wench

I say we're in a cult and you all must send me $100 in order to receive the key to Discworld immortality!

Chant after me:

"Give spiky money, give spiky money, give spiky money".

Saying is believing, so I shall expect the cheques to be flooding in shortly :)
  17. Ba Lord of the Pies

Don't send Spiky money! She'll just do something foolish, like give it to orphans, or worse, Doors!
  18. spiky Bar Wench

LOL

Sheesh if I'm going to be smart enough to get money out of you lot then give me credit for not being dumb enough to give anything to Doors. The money will be spent wisely... On Pez.
  19. Pepster New Member

Disclaimer: This is not intended in any way to be a insult or put down....

---

Why do we as humans need a name, category and definition for everything?

You see this everywhere, actually video games are a good example with a myriad of genre, sub-genres, and crossbreeds. With many a gaming nerd arguing over the terminology in any given forum.

Can't we just be, why won't you let me be! or something along the lines of a Simpsons quote about a sandwich.

Seems rather trivial, but I suppose it keeps people off the streets.

In case you wondering I'm very tired....
  20. TheLuggage New Member

I want to be pigeonholed... I want to be labelled...I want to be part of an elite gang that has its own name. :D
  21. Ba Lord of the Pies

There's actually a good reason to have names and labels. To be able to easily identify a group. Now, something fancy might not be strictly necessary in this case--"Pratchett fans" is hardly unwieldy--but that's still a label. But if Pepster wanted to talk about people who were interested in the works of Mr. Pratchett, it becomes necessary to have some sort of identifier.

It works for other things as well. Try talking about race relations without having any names for different ethnic groups.

Genre names aren't as important, but they're still convenient as a shorthand. For example, "Pepster generally likes Reggae." This is nice and easy. It gives an idea of the sort of music Pepster likes in four words. It could even be three, if he were willing to let "generally" be implicit, or if he were a fan of reggae indiscriminately. It's a lot easier than, say, "Pepster is a fan of the style of music from Jamaica characterized by the use of regular beats on the off-beat, which is usually slower than ska with accents on the first and third beat." Now, sometimes these

Language is about communication. Labels and names are convenient short-hand to get to the point quickly. Argument about these names are, ideally, to keep communication clear. Defining these terms makes sure that people have a common base from which to discuss things.

Names can also be fun. In this case, people want a nice name for the group they belong to. Now, disciples is not likely to catch on, at least from this (relatively) minor message board. Names like this usually come about more organically. But it can be a nice in-joke for the boards, a piece of culture for the miniature society created by this community, much like the Tripod, Boardania, and the other jokes that they've accumulated throughout the years.

In conclusion, naming, labeling, and defining things is part of communication. Pepster signed up for this when he started asking the other apes where the fruit is.
  22. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I want to know what Ba was going to say here.
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

Damn, Grace is back and she's actually reading things. Must remember to finish sentences so they make
  24. Hsing Moderator

*lol*
  25. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

LOL! Also, Hsing, I was impressed with you for remembering 'Disciples'. I started reading this and thought, "Oh, what was that one I came up with?" That was ages ago, you must have a memory like an elephant.
  26. Hsing Moderator

Unfortunately, sometimes. For everything but faces. I might pass you by in the street any time, but I'll always remember your words.
  27. Ba Lord of the Pies

Huzzah! The Grace-bait has worked.

Now, sometimes these labels are applied too indiscriminately, or become more important to people than the things they describe. For example, when it becomes more important what kind of music it is rather than whether or not it is good music, that's a bad thing. When the fact that a book is science fiction is used to determine whether or not it's good, then it causes problems. When the fact that a person is gay, black, or Pentecostal is more important than the fact that they are, indeed, a person, then it's a very big problem. But that doesn't make labels a bad thing. Only the lengths people take them.

There, that's essentially where Ba was going with that line.
  28. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Very well put indeed! I knew it would be worth asking.
  29. Orrdos God

Nerds? geeks?

Why has no one suggested those before?

Tut!
  30. Garner Great God and Founding Father

misbegotten and miscellaneous freaks, geeks, nerds, dorks, and comic book shop employees, augmented by legions of undisenfranchised female members of the aforementioned social outcasts who latch onto a writer who by his own admission is incapable of writing a weak female character and so therefore are CLEARLY not projecting any of their own failed aspirations onto anything...

christ, pratchett's just one Oprah recommendation away from being the greatest feminist author the world's ever seen... and really, if it were down to me, i'd say "enthusiasts" would be an adequate and dignified catch-all term, but in recognition of the need to disguise you great unwashed with shiney things and catchy jingles, i support the Diskiple initiative with only mild reservation.
  31. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I like the way Doors and Garner say basically the same thing, but Garner takes about a hundred more words to say it, while Doors' ratio of monosyllabic to polysyllabic sentences is three to one.
  32. Garner Great God and Founding Father

there's just no substitute for good seething.

er, i mean breeding.
  33. Orrdos God

Yep!