The Army of Lancre

Discussion in 'BOARDANIAN ROLEPLAY GROUP' started by JAK, Apr 6, 2011.

1. JAK Member

I did a bit of modelling and painting during March which some of you may be interested in seeing.

The Army of Lancre

[IMG]

The army consists of just one man, Shaun Ogg. He has other jobs in Lancre and we catch him having just finished cleaning out the cess pits and doing a little heralding for the King before going on to be a footman. To keep him company there is Big Jim Beef the border guard at the river bridge on the only road into Lancre. It looks as if he's had a bit of bother with a Billy Goat. Finally the only other person who wears armour in Lancre is the King's falconer, Hodgesaargh, although he normally only wears it to protect himself from his birds.

The only other group of fighting men in the country are

The Lancre Morris Men

They didn't get to win the Fifteen Mountains All-Comers Morris Championship six times by dancing around like a bunch of pansies waving their hankies in the air.

[IMG]
    Top row: Weaver, Tailor the Fool, Bestiality Carter the Piper, Jason Ogg the Squire and Obidiah Carpenter the Bagman.
    Bottom Row: Thatcher the Hobby, The (real) Piper and The Standing Stone, Tinker and Baker.

[IMG]

As you can see they are equipped to undertake the infamous Stick and Bucket dance that they used to defeat the Elves after they had escaped from the stone circle.

The Stick and Bucket dance was invented by ….

Ankh-Morpork Assassin's Guild's Ninja Morris Team

[IMG]
    They have send two members of their team to give instructions to the Lancre men. It is said that the Ninja Morris Team are able to do strange and terrible things with a simple handkerchief and a bell.

[IMG]
    Together they make up a complete unit that can be treated as swordsmen in the game of Warhammer.

I believe one of the members of this forum is involved with the real Lancre Morris Men. Their web site was most useful for my research although in the end I felt a dark brown/cream gave a more country bumpkin look than pure black and white. This figure was done as an acknowledgement to them.

[IMG]
  2. Lazyacre New Member

Brilliant modelling!
  3. TamyraMcG Active Member

OMG that looks like Joculator himself!
  4. shonasara New Member

amzazing - i love it

A +++++++
    :surprised:
  5. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Brilliant crafting, JAK. And, yes there is certainly a lot of similar detail. Just for reference this is the outfit we wear for the Dark Morris in December. There's a lot more white for the Light Morris in June.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  6. JAK Member

Thanks for all your comments, hopefully there will be more in the future.

Joculator - if I'd seen your picture before I'd have made the beard grey, perhaps it is modelled on you in younger days. The costume colours were a mixture of yours and a side in the USA who also do the Dark Morris, but then changed to the brown tones to give a countrified look. I did red, yellow and black ribbons and flowers: Red and Yellow for Verance the Fool King and Black for the Dark Morris. I couldn't fit 6 horseshoes on their backs so just did the one. I was always told this way round to stop the luck falling out.
  7. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

A grey beard? :shock: What cheek! I like to call it it 'white-blonde' :D

I was so engrossed in your pictures and the uncanny accuracy of the accordion colours, I didn't see your comment about visiting my site. Thank you for the acknowledgement.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

Great, I like the morris men and the assassins. :)
  9. JAK Member

Having recent shown you my work on the Light Dragons I have been checking on what other models I’ve shown here and have just found that I didn’t post the correction to my accordion player to turn him into Joculator.

So here he is:-

[IMG]
  10. Maljonic Administrator

Really nice, do you use inks as well as paints on your figures?
  11. JAK Member

All done with acrylic paint (various manufactures) because they use water to thin as required and to clean brushes afterwards. They are also non-toxic which is safer as I lick my brushes to help keep their points.
  12. Maljonic Administrator

Yeah, I used to paint a lot of Warhammer figures the same, watering down the paint to do various thin washes. Sometimes though I'd put a thin wash of ink over the top which would seep into crevices and kind of highlight the lines and folds in clothing and armour etc.
  13. MaJ New Member

It looks fantastic!!!!!