Photo Competition IV, Feb 2007.

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Rincewind, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Rincewind Number One Doorman

The forth Photo Competition theme is 'COLOUR.'

Seening as it is such a dull time of year, it's might be quite tricky! But I'm sure we'll get some lovely photos at the end of it.

Rules *

- Photographs must be taken by you - no nicking them off the Web
    - Photos must be taken specifically for the contest - get out there and get snapping!
    - One picture per person.
    - No excessive digital manipulation (i.e. adding a more dramatic sky from another photo to your picture). Playing with levels, saturation etc is ok though.
    - Equipment: Anything goes as long as the results can be seen from here.
    - Voting takes place when the contest closes.
    - The winner of the contest gets to choose the next subject.
    - Late entries will not be included in the voting.

This is open to anyone and the more people the better. Even if you don't want to take pictures, I'm sure all the contestants would appreciate your comments.

Now due to Katcal's slap dash approach to ending competitions! :)
    It's going to be a short comp this month. ENDING THURSDAY MARCH 1ST.

Please, Please everyone make an effort to get your photos taken and in on time! Colour is every where, so it should be easy.

NOTE: Any photos that have followed theme of 'color' will NOT be accepted.

*reborrowed from Katcal's quotation of Mal's quotation of my original, mysterious source.
  2. Electric_Man Templar

So there may not be so many black and white entries this time?
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hey, who knows, that could just be the best way to make your entry stand out... :D Nice theme Rinso, but isn't it a bit of a short run ?
  4. KaptenKaries New Member

I'm getting my shiny new Nikon D80 tomorrow (Hurrah!) so I'll be participating, as long as I finds something to shoot! :-D
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Colour ? in Sweden ?

Meh, try Ikea :D
  6. Hsing Moderator

...could anybody lend me 700 Euros? :( Then, I too could partake...
  7. KaptenKaries New Member

That was below the belt and hurt.
  8. chrisjordan New Member

Yay!

Hsing, you could get one of those cheap disposable cameras if they have them over there.
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

Sorry KK, I forgot about that fancy flag of yours, that's colourful too ;)
  10. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It is a bit of a short run. But i'd like to get the comp back on track, going from random dates pushes my anal retentive button. Also i kinda think it will be easier to drift off... time between compts will get bigger and bigger and people will lose interest. Besides it's a relativly simple theme. One days playing round with the camera in your house could easly give you a great photo.
  11. spiky Bar Wench

I've just got my photo but the damn computer won't let me download it. Will work on the problem and get it submitted.
  12. Katcal I Aten't French !

**points finger** constipated monkeeeeey ! :D

I've got my idea, all I have to do is take the pic...
  13. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Oh...yeah...I've got LOADS of ideas...yeah...loads....

* panics*
  14. Hsing Moderator

I do defenitely have ideas, but I barely got my analogue camera to work again - I need a few days to develop, so if I don't get around making the pictures by Tuesday, I'm as good as out for reasons of time management.

That is not to say i don't agree with Rinso re-introducing timelines into this project, because I really think it is a good idea.

I have now a flickr - account, and if I don't make it into the competition, I will force all of you to view the pictures there. :badgrin:
  15. Maljonic Administrator

Damn, I wish I'd seen this earlier. I took a picture of all the different coloured beach huts in Brighton yesterday, I haven't had a look at it yet but I bet it would have been perfect for this...

Great topic nevertheless. I think I've formulated an idea in the time it took to type this. :)
  16. mr_scrub New Member

If for example, I took a colourful picture of a video game in which I set up the circumstances in the picture would it be allowed?
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

You time monks and your honesty, you should have just posted it, it was taken inside the time limit...

Mr_scrub> if you mean just a WOW screenshot with lots of colour, it's no, this is a photo competition, therefore for photos only, taken with a camera. Film, digital, cameraphone, whatever, but a real camera. If you mean a photo of someone playing a video game, yes, but not a screenshot.

Hsing> yay! get snapping, we'll go see your photos anyway, and with pleasure ;)

As for me, I had one great idea, and then I took a picture of something else that was fitting, so now I have to decide...
  18. mr_scrub New Member

I meant using camera to take a picture of a game.
  19. KaptenKaries New Member

[IMG]

I'll go first then. I had a lot of ideas, but with the short deadline I had to settle for something doable.

This picture was taken at the small marina close to my parents' home, in Lännersta outside Stockholm. It was hard with the clipping of the ice in the background to get good definition on the buoys. Perhaps, if the day had been brighter and not overcast the buoys would have really popped. I wanted them to be redder than they came out, so I cheated a bit and pulled the levels in photoshop. Hope this will still count as a valid entry.

Regrets:
    1. There was a grass straw I should have removed before taking the picture. It's visible as a dark blur in the lower right corner.
    2. I regret shooting the picture in jpeg and not raw, which would have given me more room for colour adjustment in photoshop later.
    3. I could have changed the aparture to have a deeper depth-of-focus, so more buoys would be in focus.
    4. Damn overcast february sky!
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

If the only thing in the photo is the screen, it's pretty much the same thing as a screen shot... but hey, post it, and we'll tell you ;)

KK have no regrets, unless you really stage the photo, it'll never be perfect, it can be lucky, but you can't have perfect AND spontaneous without a lot of luck. I like it as it is.
  21. Orrdos God

[IMG]

Here is my entry.

The eye is the window with which we can see the colour around us, yet, it is colourful itself. Swirling, striking and interesting colour.

I like the thought of that.
  22. KaptenKaries New Member

Very nice Doors! It is a beautiful eye. I mean, show me an eye that isn't beautiful, but this one especially so with the unusual brown/blue combination. I have brown/green eyes myself, in a fairly similar distribution. I also like how there are no red veins showing. My eyes are full of them.

The square white reflection in the pupil, is that a light in the room or the flash of your camera?
  23. Rincewind Number One Doorman

-- Loverly picture Doors, who's eye is it?

KK- I think a little bit of photoshoppery is fine, as long as you don't go mental with it. Personally, I think anything that you could do in a darkroom is fine. How you process photographs is just as much a part of photography as actually taking the picture. Just out of interest could you post a before and after picture in the other thread?
  24. KaptenKaries New Member

Before picture can be found here.
  25. Orrdos God

It's my own eye, actually :)

I think the white bit in my pupil was my flash, but it might have been my window.

Or, maybe a disease of some sort.
  26. Dane New Member

Edited because i should have read the rules.
  27. Maljonic Administrator

You have to take a picture for this competition, you can't use one that you took earlier. It would be waaay too easy if you could. :)
  28. HalfJack New Member

[IMG]

I've always thought the colours you get on CDs were pretty. =)

It's not awesome quality, sadly.
    I played with the saturation to enhance the colours a teensy bit, but mostly me and my crappy camera got lucky.
  29. Katcal I Aten't French !

Nice one HalfJack !

Dane, yeah, sorry, but if Mal can't enter one taken a few days before, then a few months is way out ;) Nice pic all the same, even on my crappy screen with a big reflection on it.
  30. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Nice pic Half Jack.
  31. Dane New Member

curses, back to the drawing board.
  32. Rincewind Number One Doorman

You'll be blind within the week.

(Huzzah!)
  33. plaid New Member

my entry:

[IMG]

there are perhaps better things i might have take a picture of for this theme, but this one just... well, i really have no reasons. there it is.

edit:
    hrm... the image is being strange and not displaying. why is that?
    anyone know how to fix it?

Edit: by Maljonic: fixed photo code.

Edit: by Maljonic again, copied to this site.

Doors edit - The URL pointing to plaids photo doesnt workany longer. I'll have to leave it to Mal to fix, or get plaid to fire it up again

[plaid] trying again...

Edit: by Maljonic - is fixed again. I had to delete all the folders on the server and forgot to put the images back on again.

Edit: by Maljonic, oh I see you moved it. You should get a prize for most editing of your post ever!
  34. mr_scrub New Member

35. Katcal I Aten't French !

Here's mine :

[IMG]

For those not familiar with the story, and the character, this is Bagpuss.

He was the main character in an animated (stop animation) children's program that was very popular when I was a kid, and has recently become fashionable again for some reason. The cat was a plush toy in a pretend antiques shop kept by a kid who would pick up objects and add them to the shop, and then the cat, the mice and a whole cast of characters would come to life and imagine what they could do with the object, and repair it.

When I was little we had a black and white TV and there was no merchandising to speak of, so for many years, I only saw him in black and white, and I loved him to bits. I guessed from the tones of grey, that he was a ginger tom. Then one day, we got a colour TV and I found out the dreadful truth.

The damn cat is PINK !

Doors Edit - Corrected photo link
  36. Maljonic Administrator

Urban Colour Being Washed Away Down a Drain

[IMG]

Doors Edit - Corrected photo link
  37. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I still can't see Plaid's picture in this thread. I had to copy and paste the link into a new browser window to see it.
  38. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I had to cut and paste too. Nice pic, though plaid.

Just a reminder to everyone the comp will close this THURSDAY.

So please get your photos in ASAP.
  39. Electric_Man Templar

[IMG]
    Full-size photo

My photo is a depiction of how we use colours to communicate. Before you read the signs, you notice the colour and think that if it's red or yellow, it will be a warning. If it's white, there's information to be had. Same deal with the traffic lights in the distance, which don't have any words or symbols on them, the colour is all the the information you need.

Doors edit - Corrected photo link
  40. Maljonic Administrator

I moved it to this domain, must be that blogger site doesn't like direct linking or something. It is a nice picture so I don't want it losing anything by having to click away to see it. :)
  41. plaid New Member

thanks mal. :)
  42. Faerie New Member

I had the same idea as HalfJack except my camera is broken. I've put new batteries in it and made sure they were in the right way, but the stupid thing refuses to turn on.
  43. Orrdos God

there, i've went through all the entries and fixed the img tags to make them show up properly.

Not plaids though!

See her picture post for why not. Hopefully, someone (mal) can get that sorted out, if he can find a second :)
  44. plaid New Member

aha, there we go.
    my little image is displaying properly now. :)
  45. Hsing Moderator

My pictures are going to be ready on Tuesday. Ah well, something for the random photos thread then.
  46. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Well... I could allow for a late entry. But it would mean we'd have to have a super quick voting period like two days. And whoever won would have to have an idea ready to go straight away?

I don't really mind having a short voting bit. I find the voting the most boring part of the competition. I like just seening what people have posted and taking the pictures. Sorry to be a time nazi with all of this, but i'd like to get the competition back on track as soon as possible.

anyways here is my entry

[IMG]

In your face snowwhite!
  47. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hmmm... a nazi monkey... that almost beats catsthatlooklikehitler.com :D
  48. Hsing Moderator

No, stop it in time. I'll post it in that other thread and expect you all to comment! :p