Personal Questionnaire

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hsing, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Hsing Moderator

Inspired by an email questionnaire once sent to me :)wink:) and the surprisingly high number of people who normally seem to lurk here without finding an entrance into the discussion, I typed together a small number of personal, but hopefully not too personal questions for all of you to answer. :smile: Sorry if I just copied some of the answers for myself... from myself. :razz:
    If this isn't too much typing for people, and seems to be interesting enough as a thread, there may be a second round.

1. What time did you get up this morning?
    2. Name one or two things you like least in people.
    3. Name one or two things you like most in people.
    4. Name three things you can't do.
    5. Is there anything odd you are really good at?
    6. What is the most embarrassing record you ever bought (maybe... in hindsight)?
    7. Diamonds, pearls or krügerrands?
    8. Beavers or ducks?
    9. What are your favourite TV shows?
    10. What would you tattoo on your back, if you were forced to get a tattoo, but allowed to choose the motif?
    11. Wisdom or Intelligence?
  2. Hsing Moderator

Sevensomething. The alarm clock doesn't work, but usually I can rely to... an underaged family remember to get me out of bed in time.

Envy. I don't like envious people. Like that... "friend" of mine, who beams with relief when the woman who is so happy in her marriage is finally caught bitching about her husband for once, or stops talking to you for the rest of the day if someone makes you a compliment while she's around.
    Those people who take and take and never return anything, and still think they are doing you a favour, have to be avoided at all cost.

I like people who don't take themselves too serious, too important, or see themselves as the necessary center of attention. If you have to do all these things for yourself, that's probably because no one else will.

To translate that into positive characteristics: A healthy self esteem, some humour (which isn't necessarily being measured in jokes you understand per hour), and being somewhat more composed than me is what I like in friends and acquaintances.

I can't whistle on my fingers.
    I can't see people cry without getting upset.
    I can't cut bread without badly maiming it.

Hm... I am good at finding things other people lost. I am also better at recognizing voices than faces.

6. What is the most embarrassing record you ever bought (maybe... in hindsight)?

For me, "Bad", by Michael Jackson. I had plenty of worse, but... they were all handed down.

I know pearls have that "elderly women" image right now, but still. I inhereted my pearls from my mother, who got them from her mother. They are really old, and shine if you occasionally wear them – pearls need that. You can't polish them, they need skin contact. I like that.

8. Beavers or ducks?

Ducks! Those beavers never show up at our parties, so they can build as many fancy dams as they want, I don't care. The half- tame- half- greedy-ducks from the neighbourhood are always good for a laugh, and provided lots of entertainment for me and my little one in the past!

Scrubs, Six Feet Under, Futurama, Blackadder (borrowed a DVD!), erm… honestly? Okay… Buffy… actually everything Josh Whedon did… Geeky me.
    There are some documentary series on TV right now I like to watch, but it's not a specific series as such.

10. What would you tattoo on your back, if you were forced to get a tattoo, but allowed to choose the motif?

A dragon. In many colours. In what I imagine to be Japanese tattoo style.
    Either that, or... just a tiny plant, maybe a tea leaf, on my shoulder blade.

Wisdom, I am afraid. My intelligence suffers from my chronic lack of sleep and appropriate input... But even in that state, you can still learn the lessons of life. ;)
  3. Maljonic Administrator

9:30
    Blind belief in what they see in the News, thier sheep-like qualities.
    Their eagerness to survive, their ability to love.
    Play the piano, speak Albanian, remember who I was before I came to Earth.
    Yes, being unshockable.
    Rat Rapping by Roland Rat.

Diamonds
    8. Beavers or ducks?
    Beavers
    Neighbours, The Simpsons, Start Trek (any).
    A tribal marking.
    Wisdom.
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

7:10, before the alarm clock went (set for 7:30)

Pig-headedness and arrogance. There are a lot of things I don't like in people but they mostly come from a variant of these two...

Unexpected generosity and warmth. Sometimes you find them in the most surprising times and places.

Play a guitar, fly, get my bum into anything fasionable.

What is odd ? In this day and age a lot of people are surprised that I know how to knit, crochet, sew, embroider, etc. and can actually produce finished projects.

Pokemon. The first one. Before they f***ed up the song. I no longer have it, unfortunately.

krügerrands, Diamonds and pearls are pretty broing and soul-less

8. Beavers or ducks?
    Beavers are cute, but ducks are sooooo tasty :D

The current ones are Lost, Desperate Housewives, My name is Earl, and a lot of terrible british stuff like Top Gear, Jamie Oliver's cooking shows, DIY things like Big Strong Boys, etc. Unfortunately I don't get to see a lot of them since they took BBC Prime off our Cable offer. :(

I have wondered a lot about this, especially since hubby got his tatoo. I have seen some sweet tribal-style butterflies, that or just a pair of wings would be cool. In black only, I don't like coloured tatoos...

Wisdom. Intelligence on its own is just frustrating.
  5. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

8:20, just in time to put out the rubbish and the milk bottles. Phew!

Lack of consideration for others - getting in the way, using things up without replacing them, not giving others a chance to speak, etc.
    Jugemental attitudes. Like we're all perfect, huh?

Willingness to laugh at yourself. This is not something I'm very good at, but it is a quality I deeply admire in my best friend and my husband. I have been struggling to improve at this.
    Willingness to sympathise/ empathise/ withhold judgement/ give the benefit of the doubt. As someone who has fucked things up far too often to cast judgement herself, I have often been humbly grateful for others' generosity of spirit. In my experience, this is usually the first step towards fixing a behavioural problem in someone.

Out of so many? It is a source of endless frustration to me that there is nothing I can claim to be expert or brilliant at.
    Like Hsing, I can't cut bread without maiming it.
    I can't play the guitar, and I wish I could.
    I can't drive a car. This often prompts lectures on why I ought to learn.

Reading aloud? I suppose that isn't really odd. Erm... I'm very good at proofreading, which most people consider quite odd.

Gosh. Nothing will beat Roland Rat (lol, Mal), but I did buy a Hanson single once. But then, I still listen to it! The trouble is, I'm rarely embarrassed by anything in my music collection, although I'm sure other people would be. I was embarrassed at the time of buying Robbie William's Angels, because there was still the Take That stigma and I was only 16 - but the song has been so popular and Robbie got cool enough that it became less embarrassing over time. Everyone else seems embarrassed over my recent Take That purchases...

Krugerrands are for the GGG only, of course, and I've never liked pearls (ick), but I love diamonds. Cut glass can indeed be beautiful, but it doesn't glow like a good, well-cut diamond can.

8. Beavers or ducks?
    Well, ducks can be amusing ("Mr Duck's embarrassed!"), and my Granny Weatherwax ancestor owned one that had four feet, but overall they're a little lacking on both the cuteness and the entertainment front. Beavers, on the other hand, look hilarious, are not native to my country (and therefore seem more interesting), build dams and lodges, and carved up Grey Owl's house. So, probably beavers. Also, I'm not aware of 'duck' being a rude slang word. Ah, rude slang!

Well, I never watch TV unless I'm at a friend's house and they have it on. (Which I really hate, by the way. A television should be turned off if you have visitors unless you have all specifically chosen to watch a programme together.) But I have always loved programmes like Auntie's Bloomers and It'll Be Alright On The Night (I've often wondered if the misspelling in the title is a deliberate mistake) and anything which shows outtakes, bloopers and the like. I'm always delighted when DVDs include an outtakes section as well.

Unoriginally, a dragon. Specifically, the dragon that Garner won't let me get tattooed on my lower back.

Intelligence. I know a lot of wise people, and have had a good serving of wisdom dispensed into my life from many different sources, and, while it is useful and good, it is also usually unentertaining and sometimes depressing. Intelligence, on the other hand, is in short supply and is gladly welcomed. Especially if it's without wisdom, because intelligent people without wisdom are usually very funny indeed. Look at us lot, for example. ;)

Edit to add: Kat, will you knit me a jumper?
  6. Mynona Member

Around seven. The cat thought I'd slept long enough and started miauing and scrathing the bedroom door. When I got up she ignored me.

People who are 'stupid', because I believe that all people are in possession of a brain and the mechanics of using it. People who doesn't, for various reasons, annoy me to no end. They have all this capacity and do nothing with it. I'm not saying that everyone can be good at maths, but I do believe that everyone can learn the basics of most everything, and that anyone is able to check the news and be somewhat oriented in what's going on in the world.

Jealousy. It's always ugly. Perhaps it's not possible to live a whole life without ever being jealous or envious, but that doesn't mean that you have to act jealous. You can want your neighbour's car without having to resort to destroying it, or the neighbour.

A sense of humour, it's especially essential if they have to spend time with me. It opens a whole new level to communicate on, and it makes interacting with other people (as long as they have a sense of humour too) much easier, on everyone.

Decency. People who call when they said they'd called, people who do what they said they'd do, people who help other people and people who are on time. Or all of the above. I'm so fed up with the narciscitic tendencies of the modern society so it's so nice to meet decent peope, people who knows how to behave.

1. Be quiet when I meet new people. When I get nervous I bable, and new peopel makes me nervous.
    2. Allow people to walk behind me. That's sooo scary.
    3. I cannot let cruelty to animals pass by in silence. (having spent a lot of time around animals in various forms I believe myself a pretty good judge of what's just 'rough' and that's true cruelty)

Telling which way I came from. Wherever I am I can always point out the direction from where I started to walk. Doesn't work in cars, though.

Shaggy; Hot Shot. No more said

Diamonds. They're just so shiney and glittery and... and. Pearls are for older people, like my grandmother who always wears them, and well, I've never been a big fan of money, at the moment I've got enough and I'm, mostly, happy with that.

8. Beavers or ducks?

Ducks. Never trust an animal with red teeth

Dr House. CSI. NCIS. Bones. (and that about sums up what I see in a week)

A dragon, western style not Chinese or anything, that I'd design myself. Possibly taking up the majority of my back with the head towards the back of my neck, the wings spread out over my shoulderblades and the tail snaking down towards my lower back. Done in black, possibly a colouring of some of the scales or the eyes but mostly just in black.

Intelligemce. Wisdom is something you just get, intelligence you have to work on, and work with.
  7. Perdita New Member

1.What time did you get up this morning?
    I got up at 7.35am this morning, struggled out of bed as usual – I’m a night owl and got a taxi into work as I had my weekend bag with me – I’m going home from Belfast to my mum’s this weekend (about 50 miles away)

Arrogance – I hate the ‘I’m always right ‘attitude. I also dislike people who ‘talk over the top’ of me when I’m trying to speak- does their opinion count more than mine?

I admire honesty in others. I like folks who make me laugh. I absolutely adore spontaneity

I can’t drive. This is a really contentious issue in my family as I am 30 years old and probably should have rectified this a long time ago!
    Surf. I bear a vague resemblance to orca the whale when I don a wet suit so perhaps not being able to surf is a good thing.
    Multipy 2.3564 X 2.31448 in my head.

I think for me, this question in some ways follows from the arrogance thing (see question 2). I don’t think I would actually say to anyone I was really good at anything even if I was because sometimes I find other people telling me how good they are at something a little patronising and arrogant. I think it also stems from my paranoia – My fear is that someone will step forward with an even greater knowledge and humiliate me or something.

So my answer is…

I don’t think so. I wouldn’t say that I’m really good at anything in particular but I’m good I suppose at lots of different things.

I’m a good organiser (nights out/ events for friends and family and also my boss) I’m also a good listener and a good lurker if that’s possible!
    I ‘m also good at picking presents and gifts for people – for some reason – my advice is asked for a lot from friends and colleagues around Christmas!

Bros – most of you won’t know but they are a dodgy boy band from the late 80’s

Though choice – I love shiny things! If I had to make a choice I think I’d go for krugerrands, although realistically I am the queen of costume jewellery!

8. Beavers or ducks?
    Beavers – I like that they’re thought of as being cute little characters but really have so much power to change landscapes *

I love TV. So in no particular order: Life on Mars, Heroes, Green Wing, Mighty Boosh, Ugly Betty, Dr Who, Top Gear,Paisean Faisean (Irish show), ER, sometimes watch CSI whatever, I also like historical Dramas (Jane Austen season at the moment)

Two swallows holding a scroll saying ‘mum’ …. Joke.

I think that I’d probably just get a small circle of flowers – perhaps sunflowers somewhere around the middle of my back or a stylised skull and crossbones.

I think wisdom. Although not totally true Intelligence to me implies book- learning. Some of the smartest people I’ve ever met have had little or no education but have so much insight and perception.

* my knowledge courtesy of The Simpsons
  8. Tephlon Active Member

08:00, I had a job interview and I needed to leave at 09:00
    Arrogance, Lack of Sympathy, Self pity
    Humour, Intelligence.
    Juggle (Learning!), Write stories, Sing
    I can [wiki]beatbox[/wiki] pretty well.
    Torn between Vanilla Ice - To The Extreme and Michael Bolton - Time, Love & Tenderness. In my defense, I had to look up the name of MB's album.
    Diamonds.
    8. Beavers or ducks?
    Oooh, a hard question. Ducks. Beavers aren't nearly as cute as they seem on pictures.
    House MD, Stargate, Overhaulin', Scrubs, My name is Earl.
    Probably one of my cute little devil drawings.
    Intelligence. Wisdom is what you pick up over the years when you have intelligence.
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

Sure ! What size would that be, high priestess ? (ok, so this means I'll be to busy to come to germancon in august, so you won't get your jumper until next winter :biggrin: )

Also I totally forgot about not being able to drive or even learn to drive, strange how flying and playing the guitar are more important... :D
  10. Dane New Member

7:00, damn college

Obnoxiouse..ness and violence

Sense Of Humer, Music Taste, personality

Infinate suicide (A trick on Diablo, a circus toy I've been learning to do for the past five or so months), Play Guitar or bass, eat fish

Cracking Knuckles and other joints.

My Chemical Romance -- Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

Diamonds to give to my Girlfriend.

8. Beavers or ducks?

Beavers to chuck at my friend Luke Bather

Never Mind The Buzzcocks, QI and Horizon (A Documentry)

To Be True to a dare by a couple of female friends in year nine, it would be a full Bra tatoo over my chest and back... we had weird conversations.

Intelligence

Could have a Best Record question too :D
  11. jaccairn New Member

7:00 (as I do every weekday)

Impatience. Problems happen. Getting agitated and annoyed won't change that and really raises the stress levels.

Humour. Consideration.

Tell jokes, play stringed instruments, eat peas (disgusting things and a pain to pick out of dishes)

no

A Baron Knights album. I still remember most of the words to the chapel lead is missing. People might remember the one about the smurfs in prison, or the Dentist in Birmingham one. (I think I was about seven when I got it!)

diamonds - sparkly.

8. Beavers or ducks?
    Beavers

Dr Who, CSI, NCIS, Bones, House. Poirot

A dragon - western not eastern.

Wisdom
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Yay for jumpers, not-yay for lack of Kat. Prioritise Germancon!

Size would be... large...
  13. Mercyful Fate New Member

- 6:50 AM

- Being nosy and self-righteous

- Considerate and sense of humor.

- Street fight, fly a plane or hold my breath for longer than 1 minute.

- My job (Geographic Information Systems), watching TV, playing certain games on the Television, Loving my wife.

- Donna Summer (Don't remember the album probably "On the Radio", but as a young lad (11 or 12 maybe) I used to sing it into a hairbrush with those old-school headphones on. A Quite embarrasing memory.

- My wife would say Diamonds.

8. Beavers or ducks?
    - Beavers

- Currently Dexter, The Office (watching USA version, loved the UK version), Extras, CSI Vegas.

- A bird of sorts. Maybe a pheonix rising from the ashes or a majestic eagle.

- Wisdom
  14. Anna New Member

Hmm... I think intelligence, but some very intelligent people can be exceedingly stupid, so I suppose wisdom would be better, as long as it's used sparingly!
  15. Anna New Member

I can't seem to get the hang of quoting on message boards. An example of my ineptitude at using a computer!
  16. Maljonic Administrator

I posted for three years before I learned how to make text in italics, too shy to ask anyone how to do it. :smile:
  17. fairyliquid New Member

usually 04:00 but today I got a lie in 06:00! (okay I'm an early bird)

Self-centred attitudes...you need some help and it turns into a gush on their part about the time their cat died. I also dislike people who over-exaggerate personallity traits such as being babyish or excessivly macho...it just looks stupid and you feel embarrassed for them.

A good sense of humor and a good intentions. Can't go wrong with them.

I can't ride a unicycle and I can't see in the dark

Nothing comes to mind. I'm quite good at highland dancing which always surprises people.

Honestly? the complete truth. It seemed like the coolest thing in the world at the time...dare I say it...the spice girls...no joke. I still have it somewhere.

pearls. no reason other than they are pretty.

8. Beavers or ducks?
    ducks, they will rule the world some day but shhh, don't tell the beavers.

Greys anatomy, lost, desperate housewives, red dwarf, doctor who, etc

SOmething celtic with slots of squiggles.

Intelligence...wisdom can be restraining.
  18. KaptenKaries New Member

07:30
    I dislike peoples' willingness to make enemies to get what they want.
    Love and empathy.
    I can't shuffle a deck of cards properly, I can't do crawl swim, I can't watch the opening scene of Lion King without crying.
    I can partly dislocate my shoulders, something I consider myself good at since most people can't do it at all.
    Tower of Power - Souled Out
    Pearls
    8. Beavers or ducks?
    Beavers, their ingenuity and social life impress me
    Musikbyrån, Värsta språket
    A coat of feathers covering my back. White tipped brown feathers.
    Wisdom.
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

And counting up to three ? :biggrin:
  20. HalfJack New Member

Hurrah. I'm such a questionnaire junkie.

I woke up at six thirty because they daylight savings only just finished last night, so I'm having to adjust my body clock again.

Any sort of discrimination- racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. That sort of thing pisses me off badly.

When people don't take themselves to seriously, and people who know when to be serious or when to be stupid.

I can't roll my tongue. I can't type without looking at the keyboard. And I can't play any sort of instrument.

I can make pretty much anything sound like innuendo. But this could be a side effect of being a teenager.

Probably Savage Garden. I still like it though. xD

I've always liked diamonds. Wearing pearls makes me feel like Lisa Simpson, and I don't even know what that third thing is.

8. Beavers or ducks?
    I'd say beavers.

Family Guy, Little Britain, House... I don't watch that much TV anymore.

I've been trying to figure this one out for months now, haha. Probably something tribal. Definitely no flowers.

I'd go wisdom. Intelligence is nice, but I know some intelligent people who are total, total idiots when it comes to things like people skills or decision making, etc.
  21. Faerie New Member

Well the alarm went off at 7am but I didn't actually get up until 7:20. I hate morning classes.

Pretending to be something you're not to make a friend and excessive obnoxiousness

Sense of humor

I can't play the piano with my left hand, whistle, or juggle

A fourth thing I can't do is come up with something odd that I'm good at.

Probably Barbie, but I still like the songs.

After google-ing krügerrands I pick diamonds.

8. Beavers or ducks?
    I'd say beavers because I live in Beaverton and that would be our mascot, but I'm going to pick ducks. They are more amusing and I've never seen a live beaver, I did find a dead one in my grandpa's swamp once though.

CSI, NCIS, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Eureka, Dr Who, Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls + more. It seems like I watch a lot of TV but I miss lots of episodes so its really not that much.

I like my avatar. I saw a picture of someone with that tattoo across her back but I would only get a small one.

Can I pick both?
  22. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Anna, would you like me to edit your post for you?
  23. McLaren New Member

I didn't, I got up early this afternoon.

Arrogance and selfishness.

The ability to laugh at themselves.

Drive. Seduce Rincewind, he keeps escaping from the cupboard of my love. Give birth.

Not that I can think of.

Most people would say that song Mr Blobby released. But I still think it was great.

krügerrands

8. Beavers or ducks?
    You all know I'm not interested in beavers. (sorry!).

Lost, 24, Scrubs, Neighbours. Supermarket Sweep.

My favourite tripod comic.

Intelligence.
  24. Hsing Moderator

The embarassing thing is, I didn't know anything about the ambiguity of the word beaver until this thread tought me. I wonder what duck stands for, and wether I will be able to face that toothpaste ad with the beaver and his very good teeth in it again?
  25. mowgli New Member

8:06 am, after a half-hour of lying prostrate, with a hungry cat stomping on my head.

Mistaking kindness for weakness and claiming that "Catch-22" was unreadable.

You know when a totally demonic-looking punk turns out to be a sweet soul and a devoted parent, or someone who's really shy and shrimpy turns out to hold a 3rd level black belt? That!

Lie to my family, parallel-park, play Dance Dance Revolution.

Animating green alien pig-dogs :)

I honestly thought my brother would like a Robbie Williams CD.

None. I want an alexandrite, because they change colors in different light! :)

8. Beavers or ducks?
    How about a compromise? Platipus!!!

House (yaay!), Grey's Anatomy, Whose Line is it Anyway, Daily Show, Family Guy.

A bumper sticker on my bum.

Wisdom. I don't think it's possible to be wise and malicious at the same time, while there are plenty of intelligent arseholes out there.
  26. Ozzer New Member

8:44, after my alarm went off for the third time. I was having very strange dreams and could not seem to pull myself out of them.

Meanness. Stupidity.

The ability to laugh at one's self.

Carry on a decent conversation over the phone. Make what I draw/paint on paper look like what I see in my mind. Be extroverted.

Parallel parking. :) I aced it on my driver's test.

People seem to think I should be ashamed of my Bowie collection. I don't understand why.

Krügerrands, which I would use to purchase an emerald.

8. Beavers or ducks?
    I own a dictionary. Ducks.

Own all four seasons of Futurama, loved Pretender when it was on, currently watch reruns of Classic Trek, Are You Being Served, and Flying Circus. I also like shows like Nature and Nova.

"If you can read this, give me back my shirt."

I'll be so immodest as to say I have plenty of intelligence, but a little bit of wisdom would come in handy, especially in dealing with people.
  27. missy New Member

If i duplicated anyone elses, i'm sorry. I thought it best to do mine before reading others so it all came from me!
  28. Faerie New Member

I just thought of something odd I can do. I can wiggle my ears. Actually I can only wiggle my right ear. I read somewhere that less than 20% of people can wiggle their ears and women are half as likely as men to do it, but anyone can learn to do it.
  29. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Really? I can wiggle my ears, and, indeed, my whole scalp.
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

I can wiggle mine too !
  31. Electric_Man Templar

So can I, if I move them with my hands
  32. chrisjordan New Member

Sometimes I can wiggle my scalp, but never my ears. It's probably prohibited by the Chaos Theory Safety Regulations (my ears are, indeed, quite big).
  33. Katcal I Aten't French !

Looser.
  34. Faerie New Member

My scalp moves with my ears.
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Sounds tighter to me.