Guess who's thrown his toys out of the pram?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Electric_Man, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Electric_Man Templar

2. sampanna New Member

I thought you meant Doors, what with moving out and all :)
  3. Electric_Man Templar

The BBC are yet to report that.
  4. Rincewind Number One Doorman

They're getting slack.

edit:add 's'
  5. Electric_Man Templar

Anyhoo, the point of the thread was to point that Tony Blair, after being defeated for the first time since he became PM, has accused the people of voting against him of people out of touch with public opinion. When in actual fact they are out of touch with HIS opinion.

He might find that he has been out of touch with public opinion on a few occasions, the Iraq War being one of them.

It doesn't really reflect well on the most powerful person in the country. Yay UK!
  6. sampanna New Member

[quote:b68f80ed3a="Rincewind"]They're getting slack.

edit:add 's'[/quote:b68f80ed3a]

Or maybe he has [b:b68f80ed3a]not[/b:b68f80ed3a] thrown his toys out of the pram yet :)

As for the report .. Blair has to keep saying that I suppose. As I understand, most of your country was against the war. His only option is to lose face or keep a belligerent one .. and his buddy is GB.

Edit: one out too many
  7. Rincewind Number One Doorman

To be honest, I think he *was* in touch with the reactionary sun newspaper believing part of the country. Which probably makes up more of the population than we'd like. However, the MP's where in touch with the people who actually think about these ideas and the overall effect they will have.
  8. Pixel New Member

Although I hate to admit it, democracy can sometimes work, but it takes enough MPs who will follow their conscience rather than the party whips - Blair has for too long had a majority slavishly following the party line, and has developed an inflated idea of his own infallibility - possibly the biggest problem with democracy as it is operated today is the party system - if one party has a big enough majority, that is expected to be the only chance the electorate have of their votes making a difference until the next election, since their MPs will just go in and, after making enough noise in the House to justify their existence, go through the lobby they are told to by the party (any of the parties).

Edited to correct a typo I have only just spotted.
  9. Roman_K New Member

This amuses me, and reminds me of the fact that recently Sharon tried to get minister roles for the two people of his party, being amoung the few which supported him in every single vote.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks to be very much like a bribe. So, said ministerships didn't come through on the vote, making me mightily amused.