Discworld Informer Drawings

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Maljonic, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Maljonic Administrator

So while I’ve been upgrading this site I’ve also been working on another little site designed around the idea of little info sheets pinned to a door or table, called Discworld Informer.

It’s nothing all that remarkable as the text is just vaguely rehashed from Wikipedia and the Discworld Companian, only with any reference to reality removed from the descriptions – as if it was all real.

So the text may be nothing new, but I’d like all the pictures to be original pencil drawings that haven’t appeared in any of the books and aren’t copies of any official Discworld artists’ drawings – just our impressions of what we think the people and places look like.

I’m going to have a go at drawing some stuff myself, all just black pencil on white paper so it can be added to the text like this one Discworld Informer - Susan Sto Helit that HalfJack agreed to add, thank you HalfJack.

Anyway, so obviously, I wondered if anyone else wanted to add any. You can draw anything you like, a person, a place, a building etc – so long as it’s just in pencil or black ink, on a white background (so I can add the pale green background for the site easier), to fit the theme. You can choose any of the topics/pages from the site to add a picture to, including ones that someone has added to already – as if a reporter has gathered sketches from different sources. If there isn’t a page for the character or place you want to draw for we can make that page, assuming we can come up with a bit of text for it.

Any pictures can have your name, or pseudonym, on them and the site will be linked to from this site and, or course, this site will be linked to from that one.

As well as being a place to add some nice pictures the site will serve as another instance of Discworldyness that connects back to us and will eventually, perhaps, bring us some new [-]victims[/-] members.
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Looks good, I'll say more when I have had time to had a good look at it but it looks like a good idea... Well done Mal !
  3. Hsing Moderator

Cooool! If I find the time, I'd like to draw some sketches. I'm not going to promise any partiular drawings so I can pick some when ...er... inspiration strikes, or something like that.
  4. Maljonic Administrator

This is my first go at one: Gaspode
  5. Hsing Moderator

Aaaaw...
  6. Maljonic Administrator

7. Maljonic Administrator

Thanks Mithras-Kosmokrator for adding your picture: Lord Vetinari.

I've stickied this thread in case anyone missed it, and so new people in the future can have a go if they want.

I'm guessing it will take years to fill all the pages, so there's no rush.

At the moment I'm wondering what Dibbler might look like, or perhaps one of his culinary delights...
  8. Mercyful Fate New Member

Very nice. Wish I had some artistic talent to lend to your project.
  9. Maljonic Administrator

Here is a one-off drawing of the Unseen University in Ankh Morpork - it's a one-off because the background magic means that it never looks quite the same from one day to the next.

Unseen University
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Like it, Mal!

I hope to contribute to this eventually, by the way.
  11. Ozzer New Member

It's me! (well, sort of.) :)

Attached Files:

12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Good drawing!
  13. Maljonic Administrator

That's wonderful! Would you, or someone else, be able to write a little paragraph about her to go with it? There is no page for Polly Perks yet.
  14. Ozzer New Member

Well, I gave it a try...

Polly Perks would be perfectly content to stay home and run "The Duchess," her family's inn, if it weren't for the fact that in the fanatically religious and war-mongering country of Borogravia, women can't own property. Polly's somewhat simple big brother could inherit, but he's MIA in the war against the "evil Zlobenian oppressors." Polly does the only thing left to her, and becomes an "abomination to Nuggan" by putting on men's clothes and heading off to war. Life is complicated by the other members of the regiment who all have secrets of their own, and through a convoluted chain of events, Polly finds herself taking command, leading an invasion against their own castle, and more or less saving the day.
  15. Maljonic Administrator

Thanks Ozzer, I'll have to reword it a bit so it's in the past tense, as if she were a real person etc.

Would you like to put your real name on your drawing, a pseudonym or just Ozzer?
  16. Maljonic Administrator

Okay, using your words and jiggling them about a bit I came up with this:

Please, anyone, point out any mistakes or make additions if you wish.

P.S. Here is your picture on the page now: Polly Perks

You can PM your prerferred artist's name, or real name, for your picture if you don't want to leave it as Ozzer. :smile:
  17. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

This is a really minor thing, but isn't it "Abomination unto Nuggan"? The actual content is really good.
  18. Maljonic Administrator

Well spotted, it has been corrected. :smile:
  19. Ozzer New Member

I wouldn't want to blow my cover and reveal my secret identity, so we'll just leave it as Ozzer.

*shifty eyes*

Though if you look really closely, I did initial the pic.:) And your rewording is lovely.
  20. Maljonic Administrator

21. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Cool, although it does somewhat make my eyes start to melt.
  22. Maljonic Administrator

It is a bit trippy, Dali-esque in places. With the stuff I've had a go at I've purposely not looked at other drawings by other people, not gone back and looked at old book covers, and tried to draw things how I think I first remember imagining them, which in this case is kind of an odd creature where the wood of the box is alive as much as the feet.
  23. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

Things are progressing nicely - the Luggage reminded me of one of those M.C. Escher optical illusion pictures!

A portrait of General Tacticus will be on its way to you soon, I hope.
  24. that's exactly what i thought. that drawing made my eyes water.

Kudos, Mal.

great idea for a site, and beautifully designed.
  25. IgorMina New Member

It's a great site. :)

Is it possible for anyone to submit drawings? Only I have one or two for characters that don't have pictures on that site yet.
  26. Maljonic Administrator

Of course, anyone can have their drawing on there, just make sure it's a pencil or black ink line drawing to fit the theme. You can post it here or PM me the details and I'll add it to the correct page with your name (or username if you prefer) attached.

P.S. Thanks leather_monkey. :)
  27. IgorMina New Member

28. Maljonic Administrator

Great! Now does anyone want to write a paragraph for Cheery Littlebottom? :smile:
  29. IgorMina New Member

30. Maljonic Administrator

Here is your Igor Picture

I'll add your Cheery Littlebottom picture when the page for it is sorted.
  31. Maljonic Administrator

Okay I wrote some text and added your other picture. If anyone spots a mistake or wants to add something just let me know:

Cheery Littlebottom
  32. Rewr New Member

Love all the drawings.

Its a shame my talent doesn't extend much beyond stick men.

Can't wait to see what else you all come up with...

Rewr
  33. IgorMina New Member

:D Thank-you! It looks great, I think that your texts are good.
  34. IgorMina New Member

35. Maljonic Administrator

36. Hsing Moderator

Question: Is this still being worked on? I have a scanner for the first time in ages and had some sketches done way back then.

Edit: They need some work still, but I can offer Cohen, Vimes, a noble dragon, and the Elf Queen.
  37. alexbutterfield New Member

I wonder the same thing. If you still want drawings I'd enjoy doing some to be submitted.

A while ago I did a mafia game deck of cards on a discworld theme. Most of my drawings are ripped off (with permission) from Tealin - an animator who has drawn a load of discworld characters.

anyway - they can be seen here.

DISCWORLD MAFIA

I've got a few others, including my original interpretations but no scanner at the moment.
  38. Maljonic Administrator

You can add your pictures to discworld info so long as they're black and white and your own drawings.
  39. DEATHOFRATS New Member

I have a picture of Om manifested as a tortoise, just need to find a scanner...
  40. DEATHOFRATS New Member

[IMG]

This is a very bad quality image taken using a webcam in poor light conditions, but you get the idea. I will find a scanner...
  41. Hsing Moderator

Looks cute! :)
  42. DEATHOFRATS New Member

Thanks.

I've also done one of Bloody Stupid Johnson. I wondered how to make him bloody stupid, and decided to give him a pair of glasses with three eyes...
  43. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.
    Couple of quick sketches of two of the lesser Discworld characters
    Carter the baker - Lancre Morris Men's accordion player (looking remarkably like me, well a few years ago anyway)
    And Vena the Raven Haired, now Mrs McGarry. Friend of Cohen and the Silver Horde from the 'Last Hero'.
    Who looks a little like the Joculatrix's mother.... Hmmm!

They're here
  44. Hsing Moderator

Totally great! :shock:
  45. DEATHOFRATS New Member

You'll need to make new pages for them if you want to put them in Discworld Informer...
  46. Hsing Moderator

Here's Polly. The hat is in her... other hand? I would have liked to retouch, it looks a bit strange, but I'm not going to have photoshop anytime soon, and I'd rather not keep it for another six months...

[IMG]
  47. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I really like that. The uniform is around the period I've always imagined (circa 1800'ish). You have me confused now. Was it done entirely in Photoshop or did you scan in a pen/wash drawing and just tidy it up?
  48. Hsing Moderator

I scanned in an ink/wash drawing. I pushed the scanner's contrast a bit so it would show better on screen, and the pencil marks wouldn't show through, but I have no photoshop and thus couldn't clear it up at all. The only thing I could do digitally via picknick (a flickr service) was adding my signature.
  49. Hsing Moderator

Yes, we know.

I suppose that means exactly what it says here - we draw what we like, new pages can be added peu a peu.
  50. DEATHOFRATS New Member

But there's already a page and a picture for Polly Perks...

Will you add that picture also to the article? Or will it replace the one by Ozzer? Because if you can add another picture to a page already with a picture, then I have a picture of DEATH...
  51. Hsing Moderator

That's also in the quote I gave from Mal's entry post, here:
    ...italics by me.
    So basically, yes, paint away.
  52. DEATHOFRATS New Member

I really should read the topic more thoroughly...

But that's good news nonetheless.
  53. Maljonic Administrator

I'll add Polly and the morris man in tomorrow. The turtle looks ace but not quite right without any elephants or a disc I think, perhaps if you can somehow add them in too?
  54. Hsing Moderator

I think that's Om, not A'Tuin. :smile:

I'll add another sketch tonight, if you need someone to write the text bit, say so. :smile: It's the Duchess, who might, technically, also be used to illustrate the place Borogravia (sp?) - and not so much the character.
  55. DEATHOFRATS New Member

Hsing (like the new avatar) was right, it's actually Om (a tortoise, not a turtle). But I guess I could do a picture of A'tuin...
  56. DEATHOFRATS New Member

Oh, it's pretty obvious, but that's not the final version. I'm still asking around for a scanner, but don't hold your breath.
  57. Hsing Moderator

PS: I've got different sizes available via flickr, just in case this one is too small or too big...
  58. Hsing Moderator

The Duchess:

[IMG]
  59. Hsing Moderator

60. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

This is beginning to look like a very good collection of MR characters. I hope you are going to give us your interpretation of Jackrum.

I salute your skill with the ink and brush... [IMG]