A song stuck on my mind

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by KaptenKaries, Oct 24, 2006.

1. KaptenKaries New Member

Ok, so here's the story. In 2001, I wrote down a small horn riff that appeared in my mind. I was sure I had heard the riff before, but couldn't figure out what song it was. So I put it to paper with a big "WHAT SONG IS THIS?" on top.

Ever since then, this riff appears in my mind from time to time. Sometimes I forget about it for months, but something will remind me of it and this is starting to drive me mad. I have to know what song this is!

So, I recorded a simple mp3 of the riff. In reality, it will sound nothing like this, I seem to remember this being a horn riff, so this would be all screaming trumpets and saxes over an uptempo funk groove.

I also transcribed the riff, if someone fancies reading music.

[IMG]

It is possible that the second two bars are from a different song than the first four bars, and that I've somehow mixed these two songs up. And since this is all from my mind, it's possible that my transcription and mp3 does not perfectly match the original.

Logically, this would either be a seventies funk song, perhaps from a blaxploitation movie, or a theme from a tv show or pc game set in the seventies. I draw these conclusions simply from how the riff sounds to me, it would fit best in these contexts. It could also be as easy as part of a Kool and the Gang or Curtis Mayfield song. I don't know.

Please help me!
  2. Roman_K New Member

After having listened to the mp3, I must say that it certainly sounds familiar. I have no idea from where, though. Maybe it just fits a certain genre, which is why it sounds so damn familiar.

Sorry for not being able to help further, KK.
  3. KaptenKaries New Member

Bump because I really want everyone to listen to this.
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hmm. It [i:f7c8bc8ccb]does[/i:f7c8bc8ccb] sound familiar.
  5. Hsing Moderator

Yes, it does... but the actual title just doesn't make it to the surface of my mind.
  6. plaid New Member

if i may say so, it doesn't sound even remotely familiar to me.
    therefore i am useless.

good luck though, to the rest of you.
  7. jarmara New Member

arrrgh! That's maddening because I do recognise it but can't place it....
  8. KaptenKaries New Member

How do you think I feel I've had that feeling for five years now. ;-)
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Listening to it again, I'm wondering if it's from a TV show. It is [i:041d459dc4]sooooo[/i:041d459dc4] familiar.
  10. KaptenKaries New Member

I know! The more I listen to it, I'm starting to think the second part doesn't belong with the first part.

Edit: could it be from like a car chase scene in Charlie's Angels or something like that?
  11. OmKranti Yogi Wench

There should be some kind of musical google.
  12. KaptenKaries New Member

That thought has crossed my mind more than once. The big job is not matching snippets of music against known music, but to populate of the database.
  13. Garner Great God and Founding Father

sounds like a sped up remix of Fingerpint File by the stones.
  14. KaptenKaries New Member

I had a listen to Fingerprint File, haven't heard it before. I couldn't find any of these riffs in it, even though I think both could be fitted in there. Thanks for trying, though!
  15. Hsing Moderator

There's Tunatic, and, if you want to identify mp3s in your own database, the MusicBrainz programs are quite good. They're only usable for original recordings, though. But freeware!
    I don't have the links anymore, but one can still google the names.
  16. The last part kind of sounds like the theme from 48 hours

There is a link to the left that allows you to look at the songs from the sound track and in turn follow other links to listen to it. I think it would actually be the 48 hours theme song, but then I'm just hazzarding my guess. :)

Good Luck, man, I know what a drag it is to have something like this bothering you for a long time.
  17. KaptenKaries New Member

This will be further investigated.
  18. Maljonic Administrator

19. Angua_rox New Member

You know, it's incredibly cruel of you to force everyone to go around with that tune stuck in their heads all day.

#Is grumpy because she hasn't been able to get it out of her head#
  20. Faerie New Member

21. KaptenKaries New Member

At last, after six years of searching, I've found the song!

The song is Aragon by Roy Ayers, written for the blaxploitation movie Coffy.

*Runs off to buy the soundtrack*
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

23. KaptenKaries New Member

Lovely! Very little beat the feeling of just having discovered a new masterpiece to be explored.

Will report back with details of the first listening, once I've got the CD.
  24. Stercus Stercus New Member

I knew nothing of this thread and really I couldn't have helped. Knowing about it now I've just looked in my vast music database and i only have one track from that film that's by Roy Ayers and it's the wrong one. I've got Coffy Is the Color.

Congrats on finding it though, ok time for you to do another. :lol:
  25. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Woot! What a relief! :smile: