5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake (and other sweet snacks)

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by mazekin, Apr 12, 2009.

1. mazekin Member

Oh so happy because I've just learned that chocolate cake is just 5 minutes away because of this little bit of heaven...

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional) a small splash of vanilla
    extract
    1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix
    thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate
    chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
    Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts
    (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be
    alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
    EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).
  2. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

And very tasty it is too, Maz. Most abominable scenes of depravity in our kitchen as we fought to have the first one out of the microwave. :D

Even the unexploded cats #1 and #2 like it.

I've also just realized I'm a closet chocaholic. :redface:
  3. randywine Member

In the name of....

That's all I need, 5 minute chocolate cake...:sad:
  4. randywine Member

mmmm...5 Minute chocolate cake...:smile:
  5. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

My mum gave me this recipe too, but I haven't tried it yet. Is it nice?
  6. mazekin Member

I ate it - and I'm very picky about my chocolate cake...but I think I'm going to have to play around with the ingredients a little bit. If I find a better ratio / mix I'll post it. Just make sure not to go over the 3 minutes. I guess since every microwave is different you'll have to find your own perfect cooking time. Mine also went pretty hard quite quickly but that could have been because I had it on too long:smile:...mmmmmh, cake...think Ill go and make some more...
  7. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I found an old set of 'spoon' measures in one of our kitchen drawers. The recipe is surprisingly good if you get the measurements exact. I used a heavy pint mug for mine and it took 5 minutes on full power, didn't try to climb out of the container and was still nice and moist when it came out of the oven.
    You've now got me thinking about using ginger, golden syrup and brown sugar for an 'instant' ginger cake.
    Will have to wait until tomorrow now, we've run out of flour.
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Is this starting to require a separate recipe thread?
  9. Hsing Moderator

I was thinking the same thing. I could split the posts off if the posters are okay with it.
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'm happy with that. Second?
  11. mazekin Member

I'm happy with anything to do with food...receipe thread is good :smile:
  12. Katcal I Aten't French !

Good idea...

I must admit to knowing about the 5 minute microwave cake for quite a while, but never thought to share it on here. :redface: You can all thank me for saving your waistlines... :D

To make up for it, I'll post a quick recipe on here soon... :bunny:
  13. TamyraMcG Active Member

for one Neil Gaiman Coffee

1 scoop Ghirardelli dark ground chocolate
    1/2 shot bitter almond syrup such as Orgeat
    2-3 shots of rich espresso
    steamed milk
    black cherry Italian syrup (I used Torrani)

Put the dark chocolate in the bottom of a glass, add the almond syrup and coffee, then stir.
    Cover with steamed milk and foam, then drizzle with dark cherry syrup.

This was on the Neil Gaiman journal a couple days ago, I think I'm going to take it to my local coffee shop and see if they can make me one. I take it there are other recipes around, including possibly one that features peanutbutter flavour but i may be misremembering.
  14. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I tried a new biscuit recipe recently, which turned out very nicely indeed. It's an American one, so all measured in cups, but I've converted the fat measurement, since I couldn't bring myself to use the suggested vegetable oil. They are a bit like flapjacks but more biscuity. I don't know what's so anarchic about them, though.

Anarchist Oatmeal Cookies
    Ingredients:
    3/4 cup of vegetable oil (I used 6 oz / 170g of butter)
    1 1/2 cup brown sugar (I only had demerera, so Garner suggested adding a tsp of maple sugar, which worked a treat)
    1/3 cup of water
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    3 cups rolled oats
    1 cup white flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda

Method:
    Put the oil/fat, sugar, water and vanilla together in a bowl and mix well.

Mix in the oats, flour, salt and baking soda.

Place on a greased baking pan in lumps about 1 inch across and 3 inches apart. Bake at 190 C / 375 F for 10-12 mins and serve if they have begun to brown.

I made two dozen of these, and Garner ate an amount of uncooked mixture that would probably have made a further dozen. He wasn't sick, but didn't eat more than one of the cooked biscuits!
  15. jaccairn New Member

The chocolate cake turned out quite nice. I used a small mixing bowl to cook it in, but all the chocolate chips sank to the bottom :sad:.
  16. Hsing Moderator

I reduced the time a little before experimenting with the ingredients, and "baked" it at 800 watts for two and a half minutes - the result was a bit softer, but alright, and had the added benefit that you could still eat the result an hour later (it didn't grow hard).