$25,000 bounty on Dan Brown's head

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by mowgli, May 28, 2006.

1. mowgli New Member

2. Maljonic Administrator

I don't know what the big deal is, I heard it was a pile of kakka doodoo, plopsy with Tom Hanks looking uncomfortable and lots of dreary scenes in darkened rooms.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Maybe he meant the cream-cheese Philadelphia... I'm sure you could do some horrible stuff with that (up to and including eating it). Or the film Philadelphia... Tom Hanks was in it after all...
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

correct me if i'm wrong on this: the basic premise of the book is that there's a big secret cover up within the catholic church because they've banned some book or something, right?

have you ever read any of the books that the catholic church actually banned?

i mean, sure there's plenty of situations where they tried to suppress scientific thinking and discovery, but there's also plenty of times they banned something because it was just absolutely rubbish theology.
  5. QuothTheRaven New Member

[quote:1d30873864="Garner"]correct me if i'm wrong on this: the basic premise of the book is that there's a big secret cover up within the catholic church because they've banned some book or something, right?
    [/quote:1d30873864]
    The basic premise of the book goes as fallows:
    a)Christ was married to Mary Magdalen and they had a daughter.
    b)The early christian church covered this up.
    c)Christ's decendants are alive today, and are protected from the church by a secret society called the priory of scion.
    d)The Priory's membership included the likes of Isaac Newton, Leonardo DaVinci, and several other famous enlightenment thinkers.
    c)DaVinci hid clues to his involvement with the priory in his paintings.

The first two (in my mind at least) seem plausible. The rest seems absurd.
  6. Maljonic Administrator

Well it is just a story, a work of fiction, but it's been done in such a way that many are reading it as if it were non-fiction - which is kind of high praise for the book. The movie on the other hand is just pants.
  7. chrisjordan New Member

And it also says outright that some things are fact. Even though apparently a lot of the time they aren't.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

Yes it does, right at the start; but that is sometimes used as a device to make a story seem more real and is normally covered in the copyright disclaimer about coincidence and reality and similarities and so on. :)
  9. spiky Bar Wench

Besides the conspirarcy to kill christs decendents off and the fact that he was married... I would have thought the church would have been more up in arms about the claims of the 'repression of the feminine' in the early church....

One of the apostles was female, there were female priests etc but that all got stripped out and changed so now you get this church doctrine where women are subservient to men and they'll keep it that way by banning all forms of female empowerment, eg contraception, priesthood etc. I'm waiting for the book to get people to protest that, I think the church needs to be held accountable for its treatment of half the human race for 2000 years. But I'm a non-catholic, left-wing product of the feminist revolution so I would get the poos with this...
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:471dd9d3d6="Maljonic"]Yes it does, right at the start; but that is sometimes used as a device to make a story seem more real and is normally covered in the copyright disclaimer about coincidence and reality and similarities and so on. :)[/quote:471dd9d3d6]

From what I heard when the book came out, Dan Brown had found some documents presented as real sources, and he considered them to bbe true when writing the book. Once it was published, he was informed that part of the documents were a well-made fake, and that was his explanation...

The theory of Jesus having an affair and even being married to Mary Magdalene has been around for probably 2000 years (my mum's theory being that no jewish boy of 33 would still be single without his mum nagging him to death) there's nothing original there, it was even suggested in Jesus Christ Superstar, and no-one has killed Andrew Lloyd Webber (yet).

The rest of the story of the DaVinci Code, although it may contain the odd convincing detail, is absolutely laughable. There's one dead giveaway: no self-respecting French police-person would be caught dead speaking that much english.
  11. Roman_K New Member

The bit regarding the temple prostitutes in the Temple was rather amusing, for about a quarter of a second before it hit me that Brown probably considered it to be true.

Then I was just sad.
  12. Saccharissa Stitcher

I think I will put a bounty on the head of whoever came up with
    this
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:77ad09df96="Saccharissa"]I think I will put a bounty on the head of whoever came up with
    this[/quote:77ad09df96]

Come on, Sacharissa, that is pure genius ! Now the guy who invented the flashing madonnas with fairy lights, or the lava-lamp-madonna that they sell at Lourdes (near here, a catholic place of pilgrimage aka tacky tourist town), that's someone who needs a bounty put on his head... (although I can't really see why wearing coconut and chocolate as headgear changes anything... )
  14. Bradthewonderllama New Member

[quote:8dba2f8e66="mowgli"](Posted on behalf of Roman, because he's a lazy-ass and because he threatened to do horrible things to Philadelphia* if I don't.)
    [/quote:8dba2f8e66]

*Depiliates Roman of all head hair and takes his beanie*

See if YOU'LL ever be invited to Ben and Irv's if you go to Philly!
  15. Roman_K New Member

[quote:d99785f81f="Bradthewonderllama"][quote:d99785f81f="mowgli"](Posted on behalf of Roman, because he's a lazy-ass and because he threatened to do horrible things to Philadelphia* if I don't.)
    [/quote:d99785f81f]

*Depiliates Roman of all head hair and takes his beanie*

See if YOU'LL ever be invited to Ben and Irv's if you go to Philly![/quote:d99785f81f]

Curse you!
  16. Pixel New Member

Katcal - the Bounty joke is just priceless - you are lucky I had just swallowed my mouthfull of wine or you would be facing a legal claim for a new keyboard! :)
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Aw dammit, there goes my diabolical scheme to bust your keyboard... :D

But you can't say you haven't been warned : don't drink and [s:6a84a53715]drive[/s:6a84a53715] type !
  18. KaptenKaries New Member

Always thought the word was "think", but I might have been wrong.
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep, don't think and type either...

**goes back to dreaming about a $25.000 Bounty bar**