Would you really want to live in Discworld?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Maljonic, Aug 7, 2010.

?

Would you really like to live on the Discworld?

Yes, when can I go? 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Perhaps, as a second home 5 vote(s) 62.5%
Only as an occasional visitor 3 vote(s) 37.5%
No thanks, I prefer it here on Earth, it's mint! 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Maljonic Administrator

I used to talk about this kind of thing a lot. Being an avid fantasy reader, the idea of living in the world you're reading about seems quite appealing sometimes. But then I used to talk to my friend Neil about it and we would ask ourselves, would we really want to live somewhere where people are hacking each other to bits with huge axes, or turning each other inside out with spells and potions all the time.

I mean, the idea of Discworld life looks good on paper, perhaps even an interesting place to visit, but would you really want to live there full-time - a place where reality changes on a whim; where you can fall off the edge; where trolls and goblins roam the countryside; with no modern technology whatsoever?

Okay, so some people might still say, 'yes, I'd love it!'. But why would you love it, how would your life be better there than it is here - assuming, as is usual when you move, you take all your emotional baggage with you or it soon catches up with you, and I don't meen on hundreds of little legs. :)
  2. Hsing Moderator

Oh, oh, don't let Grace see how "perhaps" is spelled! :wink:

That put aside, I could imagine visiting - so far, no place in Discworld has the internet broadband, excellent health care and central heating which spoiled me got so used to during the last decade. Well, I lived a good life without at least two of these things during the first ten years or so of my life, so it would be possible... but I'd probably want to live in Ankh Morpork, and the city I live in currently shares a lot of her characteristics - on the plus as well as the negative side. Plus, it throws in more interesting museums, and public transport. So, why not stay? (Bland, I know... please, remember I arrived here very currently, so I find discovering this city still adventorous and exciting enough as it is.)
  3. Maljonic Administrator

Not sure what you mean about the 'perhaps' thing, must have been a trick of the light? :)

I wouldn't mind being able to teleport there for occasional weekend breaks, or maybe a couple of weeks in the summer.
  4. spiky Bar Wench

I'm thinking it could be good for a weekend retreat or holiday destination. But I'm screwed when it comes to work... All the universities seem to be for magic AND they don't allow women.
  5. Maljonic Administrator

What about the guilds?
  6. spiky Bar Wench

What a trade college? Us (lame, pompous ass) academic types look down on such institutions...
  7. Maljonic Administrator

Oh come on, if you quit clowning around you could be in the Guild of Barber-Surgeons.
  8. spiky Bar Wench

Only if you want to be operated on by someone who could tell you all about the identity expressive functions of brands :)
  9. Maljonic Administrator

Sounds more like something the Lawyers' Guild would be interested in. You could start your own branch, protecting the brands of people like CMOT Dibbler and showing him how to increase brand awareness.
  10. spiky Bar Wench

I guess the guild of merchants could use my help... maybe. What the Discworld really needs is intellectual property protection laws. You can't have brands without that.
  11. Maljonic Administrator

I bet they have that where Twoflower comes from.
  12. sampanna New Member

Oh god, no. Though the discworld does have IP protection laws, of a sort. If you are a freelance bard, thief, anything then you get beaten up by the guilds. So the guilds own the IP, and anyone who wants to use it has to be a member.
    The RIAA and its variants would fit in perfectly there!