Where we live

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Maljonic, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Maljonic Administrator

Add your own location here: Members' Map

Also, completely seperate, if you click Visitor Locations, also located beneath the accosted sheep, at the bottom of the members online block on the front page, you can see a Google map with little pegs that show where our visitors are coming from. It's a third part thing and 24 hours behind, but kind of interesting nonetheless I think. :)

P.S. Oo, just noticed you get more info if you actually click on the pegs.

Edit: to add the Members' Map bit at the top.
  2. Victimov8 New Member

Is it automatic?
    I see nothing to update with your own details, but I guess if it is then that would just add in a geographic location for your ISP?

Pretty funky either way!
  3. Maljonic Administrator

It just adds a peg to the map for each IP address that comes to the front page of this site, it's pretty general with the actual locations but quite interesting to see which countries people are visiting from.
  4. The_Poker New Member

I apparently don't live anywhere on earth. :lol:
  5. Maljonic Administrator

Well it's 24 hours behind, so maybe this time tomorrow there might be a peg in your country.
  6. Ba Lord of the Pies

Go with Frappr instead. It allows people to write down their data, which has the added benefit that one can actually see who's who.
  7. Garner Great God and Founding Father

dear god! there's a french person on this site!

Also, I notice a distinct lack of irish visitors, which only goes to prove that rincewind is not irish, but is a geek.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:d653bf3165="Ba"]Go with Frappr instead. It allows people to write down their data, which has the added benefit that one can actually see who's who.[/quote:d653bf3165]
    Check this out: Members' Map, also reachable via the front page main menu. :)
  9. Ba Lord of the Pies

Much improved.
  10. Victimov8 New Member

[quote:a5e068a103="Ba"]Much improved.[/quote:a5e068a103]

What Ba said!

That is pretty cool
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:44ff53962c="Garner"]dear god! there's a french person on this site!

Also, I notice a distinct lack of irish visitors, which only goes to prove that rincewind is not irish, but is a geek.[/quote:44ff53962c]

Living in France does not make you French, it just means you're slightly mad.
  12. jaccairn New Member

Very good :D

Also handy for looking up countries and states for crosswords.
  13. spiky Bar Wench

Well it seems that no one is located in Antarctica, c'mon people I'm told its a lovely place...

And I don't appear, maybe I don't exist like my house. :? This is beginning to freak me out.
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

Don't worry Spiky, I don't exist either...
  15. sampanna New Member

India doesn't show up either. I'm beginning to smell a "European Doormencon only" type conspiracy :)
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:d7c54345cc="sampanna"]India doesn't show up either. I'm beginning to smell a "European Doormencon only" type conspiracy :)[/quote:d7c54345cc]
    That's Northern European Doormencon Conspiracy if you don't mind ;)
  17. Electric_Man Templar

Er, guys... you add yourselves. Using the 'My Location' option.

I have to say that that map is cool, shame it doesn't seem to be able to zoom in much for anywhere outside the UK and US though.
  18. Perdita New Member

I'm still not able to work this - I don't see any 'peg' locators and I think I've said that I come from somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic in the 'my location' bit. :(

If anyone can change mine to say I come from Belfast, Northern Ireland, please feel free to do so!
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh, yeah... I was still looking at the first map that Mal sent... that's the one that's linked to on the main page, with the feegles and the sheep...
  20. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:d03a323cae="Perdita"]I'm still not able to work this - I don't see any 'peg' locators and I think I've said that I come from somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic in the 'my location' bit. :(

If anyone can change mine to say I come from Belfast, Northern Ireland, please feel free to do so![/quote:d03a323cae]

I think it's only you who can do it...

But anyway, a step-by-step guide.

[list:d03a323cae][*:d03a323cae]Go to the map
    [*:d03a323cae]Click on 'My location'
    [*:d03a323cae]Use the arrows and zoom buttons on the left to move the map to your general area
    [*:d03a323cae]Left-click where you live on the map, once.
    [*:d03a323cae]Click on "Save My Location" (above the map)
    [*:d03a323cae]Bask in the glory of a correctly located pin![/list:u:d03a323cae]
    You can repeat these steps as many times as you like if you get it wrong.
  21. Pixel New Member

[quote:cd735cd027="Perdita"]I'm still not able to work this - I don't see any 'peg' locators and I think I've said that I come from somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic in the 'my location' bit. :(

If anyone can change mine to say I come from Belfast, Northern Ireland, please feel free to do so![/quote:cd735cd027]

Perdita, you're doing better than me - I can't even [i:cd735cd027]find[/i:cd735cd027] the "My Location" option - there is a peg there in Belgium but I'm not sure I was even awake at the date and time given (we had a play on last week and the sound (my role in the production) was very tricky, so I was tending to get very relaxed afterwards (aided by alcohol!) and sleep in the following morning), so it may not be me - I'm not even sure whether I am interpreting this facility correctly - I'm sure Mal can clarify this - does the term "Visitor Log" cover everybody, or just those who are not registered members (as differentiated in the "People Online" section on the home page)?
  22. Electric_Man Templar

23. sampanna New Member

[quote:5f98d862d5="Electric_Man"]Er, guys... you add yourselves. Using the 'My Location' option.

I have to say that that map is cool, shame it doesn't seem to be able to zoom in much for anywhere outside the UK and US though.[/quote:5f98d862d5]

To be taught by Ben, oh the shame .. :)
    Updated, and now basking in the glory of an approximately located pin.
  24. Pixel New Member

[quote:821e5f408c="Electric_Man"]Just checking, you are going to this map?[/quote:821e5f408c]

Thanks, Ben - no other link I could find got me to that version of the map - I've worked through your instructions, now I will wait and see when the peg turns up.

By the way - shouldn't there be a 't' in "bitch"?

Edited to add: Yes, it worked - thanks again, Ben!
  25. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:056c9e0576="Pixel"]By the way - shouldn't there be a 't' in "bitch"?[/quote:056c9e0576]

Bich Club is obviously too cool for you 8)

[quote:056c9e0576="Pixel"]Edited to add: Yes, it worked - thanks again, Ben![/quote:056c9e0576]

You're welcome and Sam too, now he knows the natural order of things
  26. Maljonic Administrator

I edited my first post to try and avoid future confusion. :)
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:0f1003f33b="Maljonic"]I edited my first post to try and avoid future confusion. :)[/quote:0f1003f33b]
    Could you change the link on the first page too Mal ? the first map isn't really that good, Apparently it tracks the IP, and that means I live 200 miles from myself, because of ISPs and things like that...
  28. Maljonic Administrator

The Members' Map is on the main menu, the other map in the users online block tracks visitors so we can see where people are coming from, just for interest's purposes.
  29. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:8f3a7136c0="Katcal"][quote:8f3a7136c0="Maljonic"]I edited my first post to try and avoid future confusion. :)[/quote:8f3a7136c0]
    Could you change the link on the first page too Mal ? the first map isn't really that good, Apparently it tracks the IP, and that means I live 200 miles from myself, because of ISPs and things like that...[/quote:8f3a7136c0]

My IP at work will also be filthily french. It's especially annoying when I go to sites that redirect according to your country, like google.com...
  30. TamyraMcG Active Member

My peg is correctly located even if the street name is a little off, they have(V) Ermine Trail where Elliot Lane should be and vice versa. Seeing as the "streets" in question are gravel/dirt roads this is just amazing t6hat they even show up. In the satellite view it is possible to make out my workplace fairly well but my house does not really show up at all.
  31. Perdita New Member

Nope This is still not working although thanks Ben for your technical know-how... I can't see pegs or even zoom in it must be my computers fault.

*Gives computer a small kick*

(not a big kick because I'm the Health and Safety Officer at work- responsibilities and stuff you know)

I have deleted myself off - because when I tried it before it just gave me some long string of latitude and longtitude references. I defy anyone who says I'm from Atlantis.
  32. Saccharissa Stitcher

Mal, you have outdone yourself! I love the new map, as well as all those adorable icons in the home page!
  33. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:e882769fda="Perdita"] I defy anyone who says I'm from Atlantis.[/quote:e882769fda]

Awww, come on, Atlantis would be a great place to live, walking around with a fish bowl on your head, all that... :)
  34. Hsing Moderator

[quote:a8bc21f54a="Perdita"]Nope This is still not working although thanks Ben for your technical know-how... I can't see pegs or even zoom in it must be my computers fault.

*Gives computer a small kick*

(not a big kick because I'm the Health and Safety Officer at work- responsibilities and stuff you know)

I have deleted myself off - because when I tried it before it just gave me some long string of latitude and longtitude references. I defy anyone who says I'm from Atlantis.[/quote:a8bc21f54a]

Hm... i saw you -well, your tag - in Ireland this afternoon.It all looked fine to me; of course I can't tell wether the location was right in detail.

The card as such is pretty cool. though.
  35. Maljonic Administrator

Hsing, I always thought of you as being in deepest, darkest Germany. I never realised you were right near the border of the Netherlands, almost next door. I'm sure you've mentioned it before now I come to think of it, but it just never clicked. :)
  36. KaptenKaries New Member

I feel so isolated up here in the north. Myn and Trollmother, help me out!
  37. Katcal I Aten't French !

Funny, I never thought of Ba as an american... although it does kindof explain some things :D
  38. spiky Bar Wench

I exist :D and the UK needs to be a bigger country because according to the map all the European members here live on top of each other. Thats just not a pleasant thought.
  39. mowgli New Member

Wee, the fourth American (i.e. Ukrainian ex-pat) has been added! Mal, you go, this is awesome!

For now, I feel like I own the Northeast ::stretches arms with a crack:: Roomy, but kind of lonely!
  40. Hsing Moderator

[quote:ac7a9ecbd9="Maljonic"]Hsing, I always thought of you as being in deepest, darkest Germany. I never realised you were right near the border of the Netherlands, almost next door. I'm sure you've mentioned it before now I come to think of it, but it just never clicked. :)[/quote:ac7a9ecbd9]

Hm. :) Where I grew up, the next big town was Dutch, and the next middle-sized town has by now merged together with a Dutch town on the other side of the border. I seem to remember there are even two large supermarkets using the same lane to their respective parking lots. :)

But we probably will move to the deepest, darkest Germany next year.... To Weimar, Thüringen. (Thüringen is were Gilliam let his "Brothers Grimm" take place.) My tag is going to wander considerably into the East in the future.
  41. Hsing Moderator

[quote:ecc1aabdef="spiky"]I exist :D and the UK needs to be a bigger country because according to the map all the European members here live on top of each other. Thats just not a pleasant thought.[/quote:ecc1aabdef]

Erg, Spiky. No it isn't. But still better than having a typical Westphalian male...
  42. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:af38316976="sampanna"][quote:af38316976="Electric_Man"]Er, guys... you add yourselves. Using the 'My Location' option.

I have to say that that map is cool, shame it doesn't seem to be able to zoom in much for anywhere outside the UK and US though.[/quote:af38316976]

To be taught by Ben, oh the shame .. :)
    Updated, and now basking in the glory of an approximately located pin.[/quote:af38316976]I just noticed, after seeing Brad's pin, that you can zoom all the way into Iraq. I guess there's plenty of satellite images of that country.
  43. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Yes, in fact Google Earth has better pictures than some of the 'official' sattelite pictures that we use.
  44. chrisjordan New Member

Are Google Earth's as up-to-date?