What music are you currently listening to?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by sleepy_sarge, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Andalusian New Member

I'm having another major Hawkwind phase. Got out "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" again, and I declare it the best album ever in the history of the world!
  2. Roman_K New Member

Currently listening to a band called Labyrinth, an Italian Power Metal band. I like their style, and their music is top notch.
  3. Andalusian New Member

The new Tool album is shaping up to be pretty fantastic.
  4. Cynical_Youth New Member

*envies*

Getting this today. Can't wait!
  5. Hsing Moderator

Hm... more bombastic movie scores.
    And Emiliana Torrini.
  6. Cynical_Youth New Member

76 minutes of rock awesomeness. And so much to overanalyse!
  7. Andalusian New Member

Yes. For the first time in my life, I agree. This album needs to be overanalysed to the point of stupidity.
  8. Guest Guest

Whilst away from home, i decided to get my CD's out of the car and play through them to see what crap i had amassed over the last few months. I came across The Lightening Seeds, Like You Do. What a top album! i have it on repeat at the moment! I forgot i had it! sometimes the old ones are the best!
  9. Andalusian New Member

The new Muse song is terrible :lol:
  10. Roman_K New Member

The interludes are a bit too long, but otherwise it's a good album.
  11. colonesque10 New Member

I still like to listen to a bit of the Arctic Monkeys, even though I know their so last month now. Robbie still rocks ofcourse and i'm partial to a bit of the Zutons at the moment. Good honest Liverpool band. hmm, never thought the word honest and liverpool would look right in a sentance together but it does. :)
  12. chrisjordan New Member

Unlike Robbie and rocks.
  13. colonesque10 New Member

Dear dear CJ. One day your young mind and ears will be able to appreciate such fine music as Robbie produces. I just hope I don't have to stab you in the eye before you get chance. :cooler:
  14. chrisjordan New Member

If you're after a Scousefight, fellow Kennilesque, I shall have you stabbed and stabbed good!
  15. Guest Guest

I'm sure Robbie wouldn't want you two fighting over him!
    I have to agree with Kenny though, Robbie Rocks.......
  16. Victimov8 New Member

Robbie rocks reasonably

Space were another half decent bunch of scousers too
    Half Man Half Biscuit? Don't remember for sure

Arctic Monkeys may be last month but they are pretty cool

Anyway - Listening to a bit of Country music lately... Why ever not?
  17. Orrdos God

Incorrect!

While it's not a particualry amazing song, and certainly not their best, it's still: pretty decent
  18. colonesque10 New Member

Pfft. The last person to have a knife fight with me and survive was Rinso, but just look at the horrible disfigurement I caused. (PS: His parents were partly to blame for this also because they produced him) :D

Victimov - Space were a decent scouse band, as were cast. The album Spiders from Space was one of my favourite albums at one time.

And thanks to all who agree Robbie does indeed rock....so nah CJ........ :p
  19. Orrdos God

Having investigated the german barbie girl song, I can confirm it's not rammstein.
  20. Victimov8 New Member

I don't think so, but I can't remember who it was... Not Rammstein though

Ome Henk is a possibility
  21. tanatie New Member

placebo at the moment...damn, they'll be coming to slovenia (where I'm from) as a guest for depeche mode and I won't be able to go...
  22. Andalusian New Member

No... it is purely awful. It is not Muse. Not only is the title laughable, the music... unexpected, but the lyrics are pretty inane as well.

But at least it has humour value. :lol:
  23. Dane New Member

I've been listening to a lot of Reuben lately. I Nearly got tickets to see them in leicester, I found some tickets, got some money then when i came to pay for them they were sold out! I was so pissed off. Aww well

Also been listening to a load of local bands and some bands that've been adding me on myspace. Theres some pretty cool stuff. I'd recommend a band called the amber shift to anyone that likes bands like mogwai, godspeed you black emporor and the bell orchestre.
  24. Delphine New Member

I really like the new muse song. It is Muse. They're not limited to one sound, you know. The lack of mega guitar riff doesn't mean it's not 'them'. It isn't their best in my opinion, but it's something different to what people may have been expecting, and as catchy as hell.

They're not trying to recreate Absolution now. As for the singing, Matt Bellamy is one of the few artists around at the moment I can think of who can pull off that much falsetto without the song degenrating into campo cock rock.

The title has nothing to do with anything, and anyway, I like it. What's wrong with it? i doubt they were trying to make some deep statement with it. There is such a thing as over analysis when you're looking for things to pick at.

[opinion/]
  25. Andalusian New Member

No need to get defensive. It is incredibly camp though, which is half the fun of Muse. But this is just funnily camp. I don't think it is very catchy, either. I'd hardly say I am overanalysing it, by saying that it sounds terrible.

The thing is, Absolution was a logical progression from OOS and that from Showbiz. This is just wierd.
  26. Electric_Man Templar

You can't judge an album on one song.

Besides, I think if they do another album in a similar vein, it'll all become a bit stale and boring. For further evidence, view the latter half of Oasis' career.

I'd agree with Doors, Supermassive Black Hole is not a great song (especially by the standards of other Muse songs), but it's still good. If you think it's terrible, Anda, that's fair enough, but to call it 'laughable' is just a little irksome to those who do enjoy it.

I didn't think you over-analysed it, I believe Ella was referring to some other reviews out there which take longer to read than it would take to listen to the actual song.
  27. Andalusian New Member

Well it made me laugh... so...
  28. Orrdos God

Yeah, it would be impossible for them to try and top absolution, so the logical thing is to try and go in another direction.

I don't think calling it laughable is entirely fair though.....
  29. Cynical_Youth New Member

This honestly bothers me. She is just giving her opinion. I don't see any reason to trip over the use of that word. "Laughable" is not really any different from "terrible," "wonderful" or "awesome." It's all hyperbole.
  30. Orrdos God

Hm. I dunno. Laughable implies that it is without merit at all, that its acceptable to just degrade it to the point of shitting on over it. Laughable says it means the sum total of nothing.

Terrible isn't so strong really. It just means it's bad, but not the stuff of ridicule
  31. chrisjordan New Member

The latter half? What about the whole thing? :p

Also, a supermassive black hole is an actual thing. Wikipedia tells me so. This in no way makes a difference to whether the song title is any good or not, I just thought I'd share some trivia.

I like the name, though. 'Supermassive' is a good word.

And I have to say, I really like the song. It is quirky, but it's still damn cool.

Edit: also, while I don't see anything wrong with 'laughable' because it is just giving an opinion and I make comments like that about stuff I don't like all the time (see Oasis comment above), I don't think there was any need to criticise Ella for being defensive. She was just giving her opinion, which really wasn't put across any stronger than the 'laughable/inane' comment.
  32. Cynical_Youth New Member

Although I see your point, I don't think "laughable" is that strong. But I don't think it matters if it's stronger. Those words all express opinion. There is no intention to insult. It's a value judgement. I don't think the phrase "the title of this song is laughable" is in any way unacceptable.

I don't see how this hostility between sensible, intelligent people was warranted.
  33. Orrdos God

Agreed
  34. Orrdos God

Just to make it clear, we're not picking on you andalusian

Music is a bit like politics, in that it can provoke a strong reaction, and being that definite about a bit of music that alot of people like... well

Still, everyone has opinions! A bit of debate is all good :)
  35. Hsing Moderator

I was actually wondering why it took us eleven pages to get at least a little controversial.
  36. Delphine New Member

The only way I was being defensive was in the fact I was defending the song against the bad review you gave it. But that's only because I like it.

Coppe, I think you're being a bit hasty in your accusations of hostility. This thread is bound to be full of clashing opinions, it's nothing to get upset about. I like the song, but that doesn't mean I'll refuse to believe there are people that don't. :)
  37. Andalusian New Member

I don't know why I even bother posting here anymore. I don't see how an honest opinion on a song could be so offensive. Others do it all the time, like Chris said. There seems to be this trend here, if you don't agree with someone, pick a really unimportant, stupid part of what they said and essentially say "if you hadn't used that word then you would have been allowed to express your opinion." Which is just ridiculous. I don't see how the use of one adjective, which accurately describes the way I felt about it, could bother anyone that much. It is just an opinion.

Also, I didn't make it personal. I don't see how telling someone that there is no need to be defensive, because I am not making a personal attack, is any worse than telling someone straight out that their opinion is wrong. Orrdos may not agree with me, but he can't tell me my opinion is incorrect. I know it isn't, because it belongs to me.

I'll refrain from telling the truth about my opinions in the future, if it is that important to you.
  38. Electric_Man Templar

I don't think there was intent to insult. I don't even think that saying 'laughable' is unacceptable. I was just saying that the phrasing irked me a bit. That's a comment by me, not an attack on anyone.

I do occasionally tell people that what they say has annoyed me slightly, doesn't mean I dislike them (the initials 'dc' should remind you of that, Coppe). In fact, I'm more likely to say that something annoyed me to someone I like. It's certainly not an indication of hostility.

I hope that explains things a bit clearer. I did take some time over my previous post on this thread, so it wouldn't come across as hostile (which is not what I wanted to convey), unfortunately it seems like I failed.

edit to add:
    Andalusian, your post was slightly unexpected. I really didn't think this would cause such a reaction.

We don't want to stop you posting your opinion. We're just engaging in a debate about the relative merits of a song. If we don't agree, then that's fine. It'll probably happen again if you have a different opinion about a song that I've also heard (rare occurance that that is ;) ), but I'm just putting my side across, not looking to convert you *searches google for an effective brainwashing technique*
  39. Angua_rox New Member

Look deep into my eyes. . . . . . . #clicks fingers# and you're under. . . . . you all now love "Hit me baby one more time" and "Call on Me". . . . #snaps fingers#

I know I'll probably get hit witha large fish for expressing an opinion on an issue I know nothing about, but I don't think that Andalusian should take it all personally. . . . . It is naturally going to provoke a certain amount of debate, but that should be a good thing :)
  40. chrisjordan New Member

Ha, nice try Angua, but you will NEVER replace my love for the Spice Girls!

:axe:
  41. Hex New Member

Can someone please direct me to a copy of the newest Muse song?

If they can point me towards a suitable download post or get their hands on a copy of it and somehow get it to my via the internet I will love them forever and ever!!! :D

Yeah, America sucks and knows very little of the lovely Muse. The plethora of dismal music I hear on the radio here (I'm sorry, but Fall Out Boy And Nickelback now annoy me beyond measure) has caused me to resort to the eighties channel -- which is not all bad. Queen is played often. Woo.

Also I need to form an opinion on the song that is getting such mixed reviews. It intrigues me!! Yay! I like to be intrigued! :D
  42. Cynical_Youth New Member

Knowing the people involved I don't think there was any hostile intention. I don't, however, think the way Andalusian's opinion was jumped on or some of the phrasing used was really necessary.

It may have not been intended, but someone was hurt. I can't escape the feeling that is being denied here.
  43. KaptenKaries New Member

I highly recommend a song called Orange Sky by Alexi Murdoch. I've been listening to it intensly all week.
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

I was given a free CD the other day that was made for the release of the new Eos from VW (beautiful car, by the way) and I have just listened to that... it wasn't that bad actually... an assortment of coolish background sort of music... Oh well, back to my Geoff Show Podcast it is !
  45. Roman_K New Member

'laughable' wasn't a strong word in the context Andalusian used it. She didn't refer to the song, but to the name. Replace it with 'amusingly lame' in your mind, if it sounds better than way. Neither was Ella's defensive-ness much.

It was the apparent (and I mark that word because appearances can be easily decieving) side-picking that later ensued that made this into much more than it was.

Anyways, back to music. Recently a few songs by Thunderstone found their way to my abode. Me likes. Me likes very much.
  46. Dane New Member

Lately I've been listening to Brand New a lot, they have some damn good lyrics, I'd advise Me Vs. Elvis Vs. Maddona and i will play my game beneath the spin light by them. Also after hearing news of a Gig in England (London, brixton academy, 9th of september. Its the only show their doing in england before the release of their next album possibly next year when their going to do a proper tour of England) I've been listening to Say Anything. They are supporting Brand New and sound damn good too. I'd advise spidersong and Woe by them.

Other bands I've been listening to lately include Ok Go, I'd reccomend C-C-C-Cinnamon lips and get over it.

Quite a few recommendations there. I'm not too sure how to class these bands. I'd say punk/pop for ok go and say anything but both are heavier than your typical punk/pop bands like fallout boy and pani! at the disco... hmm. And brand new would be punk/emo I'd say. Your welcome to critisise those if you like, I'm not to sure about them myself. One things for certain they're all good bands :D
  47. Perdita New Member

Nina Simone's 'gold'

Sly and the Family Stone's 'Stand'
  48. Human New Member

FFVII: Advent Children soundtrack.

You have to see this movie. It's like The Matrix on crack. I don't care if you don't like that kind of thing, see it anyway.
  49. Dane New Member

I have seen it, I wouldn't describe it quite like that though. I agree that its a great film but that kind of similie isn't going to bode well is it?
  50. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I'm listening to Leonard Cohen. He's so depressing. My gods. Brilliant stuff.
  51. Human New Member

Eh, it was mostly a reference to the fight scenes.
  52. Hex New Member

My sister and I purchased the soundtrack to Rent the other day (the original broadway recording as opposed to the movie soundtrack). Pretty sure I haven't stopped listening to it since then. I'm turning into a Broadway Musical junkie!

I've also become addicted to the most recent Muse song, which I finally got around to downloading. I don't care what anyone says, Supermassive Black Hole is a great song! Can't wait for the new album! :D
  53. Tephlon Active Member

I actually have a Leonard Cohen song on my "Happy" playlist: "I'm your man". Fantastic.
  54. Hsing Moderator

I still thank the gods for "pandora.com", but curse my bank account*- I can't afford any of the jewels they displayed to me!

I wanted to write "curse my purse" but then thought, with my exceptional luck with typos it might have some kind of double meaning without me knowing....
  55. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Excellent fight scenes. But the story line wasn't all that. It shits on spirits within though.

I'm currently listening to the Archie Bronson Outfit. They're bloody wicked!
  56. Dane New Member

I agree the fight scenes were amazing, they pulled them off really well. I havn't played FF7 yet (Its on my todo list) but the story didn't seem to bad, maybe a little confuseing to someone that hasn't played the game. I've watched the film several times now and I think I've got it....

I really don't see why spirits within did so badly, that film nearly ruined Square-Enix but i thought it was a great film. the visuals were amazing (even now let alone when it was released) and the story was good. I agree that it didn't have anything on any of the other stories but you have to take into consideration that it was a completly new story with only a couple of hours to tell it. For the time given they did very well.

if you compare that story line to most other films you will probably find that it is a great story line.
  57. sampanna New Member

Rincewind lives!

In other news, I'm currently listening to Johnny Cash .. quite good (for the non-musician in me at least :))
  58. Rincewind Number One Doorman

The story wasn't that bad. Just not a patch on the orginal. I think they where trying to hard to tied up VII rather than make a story in it's own right.

Spirits Within was rubbish. I didn't feel like a Final Fantasy story at all. The characters where so bland compared to any from the games. They where just generic hollywood archtypes. It didn't have that cool cyperpunk-fantasy style. No summons, No spells so wicked fight scenes. It's like they where a afriad to put anything that made FF great into it.

Actually I'm dead. I'm just typing via an labourate system of wieghts and pullies.Weekend at Burnies style.
  59. Katcal I Aten't French !

I knew I could smell zombie...

But hey, what do I know, I'm just a ninja pirate...
    (edit to remove extra e)
  60. Dane New Member

I agree that the charicters had nothing on any of the games charicters and that there wasn't any summons and whatnot. But in itself it was a good film. I watched that film being half way through my first FF game and thought it was amazing. I suppose you'd have to look at it from someone that hasn't played the games perspective to appreciate it.

In comparison to the FF games it was a shite film and a terrible vernture, in comparison to other CGI films it was absolutley amazing.

Edit: fix quote