Unseen Academicals?

Discussion in 'MORE TERRY PRATCHETT NOVELS' started by clockworkpenguin, Nov 19, 2009.

1. clockworkpenguin New Member

Has anyone read this one? Should I put it on my Christmas list?

:question:
  2. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

There has been a couple of comments posted Here about UA. It looks to have been greeted with mixed feelings by some of the members.
    I found it quite different to the other Discworld books but that could just be me.
    If you find a copy in a bookshop, have a quick read of a few paragraphs at various points through the book, you should get an idea from that.;)
  3. TamyraMcG Active Member

I just finished it yesterday and I loved it, it felt like it was missing the Great A'tuin, but as time went by I was just happy as a clam to have yet another view if UU and Ankh-Morpork. The Trevor and Juliet story was awesome but the Glenda and Nutt story was even better. Maybe I just relate to the Glendas of the world but it was nice to see her in action.
  4. Elliza New Member

I WANT to love it but am lagging...

I appreciate that Unseen Academicals is funny and wonderful and want to read it with my usual Pratchett fervor, but somehow am just... not.

I've been rereading lately, and perhaps I miss that kind of predictable rediscovery feel of a good reread?

It has many funny funny moments so far, but I must admit it's just not hitting me they way his books usually do. Still, TP is like pizza, really -- there's no bad Terry Pratchett.

I hope he's doing OK. So sad to hear about his illness but was absolutely blown away by his gallant, lovely response. What a great guy.
  5. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Bump! I'm amazed that there are people who don't love UA, to be honest! I think it's one of the best in some time. This felt almost like Golden Age Discworld to me.