ug

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

anyone know any good cold remedies?
  2. Orrdos God

If i remember right, there was a couple posted on the old boards
  3. Garner Great God and Founding Father

if only someone could go and bump those threads so they'd be easy to find.

bah. i didn't really think i felt that crap until grace got home from church and commented on how pale i look.
  4. Hsing Moderator

[u:56b71beb94]Ginger tea[/u:56b71beb94]
    Three teaspoons of freshly grated ginger, gently cooked in half a litre of water. Filter it through, let it cool down a little, add some lemon juice and honey.
  5. Garner Great God and Founding Father

thanks hsing. there's some good cold remedies here, now
  6. Delphine New Member

A brisk run in the snow should do you the power of good.

Or, alternatively, just try lemsip. It eases the symptoms. But as we all know, there is no cure for a cold! Except sleep.
  7. TheJackal Member

[quote:0e1c0bdf9d="Delphine"]
    Or, alternatively, just try lemsip. It eases the symptoms. But as we all know, there is no cure for a cold! Except sleep.[/quote:0e1c0bdf9d]

I HATE Lemsip. It tastes disgusting & when I'm rarely forced to drink the stuff, I swallow it as fast as I can.
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

- Hot water with lemon juice and honey is better than lemsip... have a paracetamol or two with it and it'll be just the same ;)

- Half a tomato, chop up a clove of garlic and slip the slithers into the tomato, sprinkle with salt, it's great for a blocked nose, but best when your other half has the... other half... so you're equal smell-wise :D

- My (French) English teacher used to swear that sniffing castor sugar was a great nose unblocker, but I've never been desperate enough to try it.

- GROG !!!! The one thing that cures your cold better than anything is a strong drink of rum (add some lemon and honey and drink it hot and it's like improved lemsip :D ) especially if drunk (the drink, not you !) on a hot beach in the carribean !!! I started our honeymoon with the worst cold ever, and 2 days in Martinique on rum, I was cured ! Yo ho ho !
  9. Maljonic Administrator

Become so engrossed in a computer game that you don't notice the cold.
  10. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Set your beard of fire.
  11. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:923d34a834="Rincewind"]Set your beard of fire.[/quote:923d34a834]

Ahh the lovely warm feeling of roasting hair...

If its a clogged nose, put Vicks Vaporrub (if it exists in England) in a bowl of hot water, cover head with towel, stick head over bowl. It'll burn away congestion.
  12. Victimov8 New Member

It does - Menthol crystals do the same trick
  13. Ba Lord of the Pies

Suicide.
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh come on Ba, OK, it's the ULTIMATE remedy, but you could have tried something like vaporrub and garlic pie... And besides, this is Garner, not Doors or Rinso...
  15. Ba Lord of the Pies

But then Ba would have to share the garlic pie.
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh, yeah. Gee, Ba, I guess thinking of things like that is why you're a god and I'm a plastic bunny. :D
  17. Faerie New Member

I went to Florida for spring break and it was lovely warm snow free weather, as a souveneir I brought back a cold. :x
  18. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:c4921d0382="Katcal"]Oh, yeah. Gee, Ba, I guess thinking of things like that is why you're a god and I'm a plastic bunny. :D[/quote:c4921d0382]Is that a [i:c4921d0382]plastic [/i:c4921d0382] bunny? I always thought it was a kind of sugar-coated candy thing that you can eat.
  19. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:d896e3f33f="Maljonic"][quote:d896e3f33f="Katcal"]Oh, yeah. Gee, Ba, I guess thinking of things like that is why you're a god and I'm a plastic bunny. :D[/quote:d896e3f33f]Is that a [i:d896e3f33f]plastic [/i:d896e3f33f] bunny? I always thought it was a kind of sugar-coated candy thing that you can eat.[/quote:d896e3f33f]
    It could be an edible suger-coated plastic candy bunny.

Definitely not to be confused with a god.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

Nope, you can't eat it, it's a [i:4ea3a1196f]talking[/i:4ea3a1196f] plastic bunny... It's name is Nabaztag, it's defined as a "geek toy", and it's great fun :D
  21. Saccharissa Stitcher

The best household remedy is a spoonful of wasabi. A bit of cure or kill though.
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

a teaspoon or a tablespoon ?

:D
  23. Hermia New Member

I can't believe (well actually I can, it's just a figure of speech) that anyone could find Lemsip ineffective! It works for me every time! I haven't had a truly bad cold since I started drinking Lemsip. But it has to be blackcurrant flavour though, the lemon one makes me sick. As does honey and lemon.

Alternatively, try a long walk (say 5 or 6 miles) along the beach, followed by sex. You'll be completely knackered and will sleep until the cold's gone. I always find sex unblocks my nose, dunno why. The only thing is, this remedy is not to be tried on days when the wife of the patient has promised to spend the evening with me.
  24. Perdita New Member

[quote:495bbe2d4f="Hsing"][u:495bbe2d4f]Ginger tea[/u:495bbe2d4f]
    Three teaspoons of freshly grated ginger, gently cooked in half a litre of water. Filter it through, let it cool down a little, add some lemon juice and honey.[/quote:495bbe2d4f]

This is the best non- alcoholic 'cure' in my books, and at the moment they're big hefty one's full of cold cure recipes.
  25. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i doubt i'm up for a 5 or 6 mile walk today, anyway. besides, sex makes my sinuses even more screwed up than usual.

as for sleeping...

appearantly i've been snoring since this cold kicked in. last night, buzzfloyd repeatedly woke me up to ask me to roll over, which i obligingly did and then immediately fell back asleep... at which point i'd roll back onto my back to be comfortable again, and then i'd start snoring so she'd have to wake me up and... neither of us got much sleep.

i'm pretty sure one of us is going to be on the couch tonight, precisely which one can be determined by what time she gets home from your place, donut.
  26. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:8587d4b60c="Hermia"] I always find sex unblocks my nose, dunno why. [/quote:8587d4b60c]

If Hermia didn't have kids to prove the opposite, I could make a rude and amusing comment on this...
  27. Hermia New Member

:lol: roflmao! I'm gonna be giggling for hours now!

Garner, Mrs G told me I tired her out so much that not even your snoring could wake her!

I know what it's like having a snoring husband. Maybe I should start a support group for snored women.
  28. Garner Great God and Founding Father

She told *me* that i simply hadn't snored as much last night!
  29. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ummm... Garner... you are living with a woman, you have been for some years, obviously, and rumour even has it that you are married to her... and you're still believing the nice things she says to you ? Wow, the cold is worse than I thought... :D
  30. Hermia New Member

:roll: What have I started?

Oh dear, I'm laughing so much now I'm not going to be able to eat for a week!
  31. Sarbar New Member

When I have a cold I always get the hottest tastiest curry I can find (kills all known germs..), and just before going to bed I have a cup of tea with a measure of whisky in it. Works every time !
  32. Hermia New Member

I had to do that for my ailing fiance this evening. Cook him a curry, that is. He specifically requested something hot. So I cooked two curries, one for him and one for me. He looked at them and said, "yours looks different." Then, a mouthful later, he said, ears blazing, "this is hot!"