Rincewind's Random Photo Thread!

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Rincewind, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Your picture looks mental mal.

And ben, i aslo hate you.

[IMG]

Took this bored on the way home. The chain is a gift i got for a friend in NY.
  2. KaptenKaries New Member

Again, Rinso, your compositions stun me. I like the free flight / bound in chains contrast.

What's that fabric it's lying on? When you say on your way home, was it on a train, bus, car, bike, by foot?
  3. Maljonic Administrator

Well obviously he stole the bird from the front of someone's truck, chained it up and threw it on his doormat then stamped on it till it was dead and took a picture.
  4. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Stupid birds. Mocking me with thier power of flight!

Thanks KK, it was taken on the the tube home. Resting on my notebook, which has a kinda swayed front cover.
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hang on, Rinso, didn't you go to NY just a short while ago ? Well I hate you as much as Ben then.

Even if you do take awesome pics.

Actually, even moreso because you take awesome pics :razz:
  6. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I really like that pic Rinso. Very cool.

Here is one I took while driving through Nevada. I wish it had come out better, on top of the sign sat and alien waving, with a spaceship. It was so cool.

Attached Files:

7. Electric_Man Templar

How can the Jerky be 100% honey if it has pistachios, almonds, stuffed olives and all that too? Or do they mean that the clean restrooms are 100% honey?

You drive through some strange placesom.
  8. OmKranti Yogi Wench

America: Not making sense since 1492.
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

That should be on the coins and stamps...
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

Photos of Mission : Impossible 4 - Over the hedge

Before we started :
    [IMG]

Reg at half-time, 25°C mid afternoon.
    [IMG]

The heap of cut branches.
    [IMG]

The hedge and the heap. We won.
    [IMG]

The bit that's left to do is about 2 to 3 times as long. *sigh*
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Good grief!
  12. Hsing Moderator

My camera broke. it was the best packed and wrapped up item of the household during the move, but still....

All those unmade pictures i made but couldn't see... and we are so broke - money wise- too.... Aaaargh.

*sniff*
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

:sad: :sad: :sad:
    Bob and friends are sorry for your loss, Hsing... **big hug**
  14. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

That really sucks, Hsing. :sad:
  15. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Gutted Hsing. :( Your photo's where ace. Hope it's not to long before you can get a new one.

I here are some photos I took at a wildlife park i when too not so long ago.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. TamyraMcG Active Member

Squirrels AND Otter's how lucky can you get!
  17. Hsing Moderator

I've obtained a few spare parts on ebay - all from the analog universe. You know, an old Minolta, a few fitting spare objectives... The nice thing if you can't afford a good digital anyway (and only the good ones make good pics, sometimes cheap analog cameras at least make interesting pictures!) is that everyone sells their old cameras like crazy and you can obtain an amount of equipment your father would have to have spent a month's salary on...

So, in two weeks, I should be taking pictures again. The quality remains to be seen.

I am only sad that I missed the month where everything was in bloom here - the yellow canola fields, the cherry trees, the chestnut trees with their candles, the magnolias....
  18. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Good to know you'll be back in the photo world soon. And taking real photos too. I always feel they're more pure than digital.

Even more so becuase the mian reason i got digital is so i good use photoshop as my own dark room. But i'm rubbish at it. Anyone have any good tips or tutorials?
  19. Hsing Moderator

Google! Honestly, don't buy books on it. At least not to get started. I've learnt all I know from photoshop from internet tutorials, and its enough to photoshop, say, friends of mine into LOTR battle scenes and movie posters, or make bruises dissapear from an otherwise charming portrait.
    Here's one: Making a Wooden Man in Photoshop: a Photoshop Tutorial by Janee
    Not what I wanted to make, but just going through it step by step teaches you handy things about using layers and brushes and stuff.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hsing has said most of the usefull stuff, really, don't spend any money on learning it. Basically, I'd say HAVE FUN, fiddle with the stuff, try out the effects, play with the levels, use all the tools at least once on a photo you don't care about, just to see what they do. There are pleny of tutorials out there, I've had a subscription to Computer arts for many years now, and I like theirs, there are english ones here : Computer Arts - Tutorials
  21. Electric_Man Templar

Bored at work, saw a funny cloud, took a picture.

[IMG]
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hilarious.

I don't get it. But then I'm not good at cloud jokes.
  23. jaccairn New Member

Funny peculiar or funny ha ha?

Though it does have vague shark-like qualities.
  24. Electric_Man Templar

I thought it looked like a big nosed man wearing goggles (look just right of centre) in superman pose, with a turkey hitching a ride on his back.
  25. Katcal I Aten't French !

**squints** il looks to me a bit like the head of a smiling dragon with sunglasses.
  26. Electric_Man Templar

No need to squint, click on the pic and you can get a bigger version.
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

I've told you before, Ben, size doesn't matter, and that's not why I was squinting.
  28. Stercus Stercus New Member

Looks like Stratus to me. :tongue: :biggrin:
  29. Hsing Moderator

It could have become your landscape motif!

I'll take a competition picture for that one tomorrow evening, I hope I will make it in time this one time...
  30. Faerie New Member

I took this picture driving down the road. Don't worry I was watching the road, I just stuck the camera out the window and took random pictures without looking. It was getting stormy out and it shows the dark clouds on one side and brighter skys on the other.

[IMG]
  31. KaptenKaries New Member

Very dramatic sky there, I like it!
  32. Hsing Moderator

A few from the new town. I can't promise they'll tell you a lot about the town, though. I like details...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  33. Katcal I Aten't French !

wow, you always take such original pics hsing !
  34. Hsing Moderator

Like taking pics of beautiful graffiti? Never seen before on this board. :p

*pretends amnesia*
  35. Katcal I Aten't French !

the subjects may be similar, the way you take them is original ;)
  36. Hsing Moderator

Would you flickr-ers mind if I put you on my contact list there? It would mean I would get to see more of your pics! :)
  37. Electric_Man Templar

I don't mind, the only pics I have private are those that other friends have requested to be not available to the general public, which consists of a mere 30 of my total...

But yeah, you can add, if you remember what my nickname is (hint: it's electric_man_08)
  38. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep, and you can add me too ;) (name Katcal, just for a change) I haven't really bothered about the community side of flickr yet...
  39. Hsing Moderator

Well, I myself didn't, either, but I thought adding the photographers among the Boardanians might be nice. :)
  40. Hsing Moderator

Ben, I can't find you on flickr!
  41. Katcal I Aten't French !

I found him... enter electric_man_08 in the search field, or look for Dutchcon...
  42. Hsing Moderator

43. Electric_Man Templar

Hsing, you have the same mini-avatar as me!

One request guys, if you can refrain from commenting on my private photos, just in case you confuse those who they are meant for... thanks!
  44. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Sun + fluffy flower =these

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

My flickr is delargey.
  45. Hsing Moderator

We call them puff-flowers. Pfft... :) When you blow the plush stuff away, you can make a wish.

Nice pics, as always.
  46. Electric_Man Templar

In English they are Dandelions, in Rinsoish they are fluffy flowers.
  47. Faerie New Member

I call them dandelions. You can make wine from the yellow ones and my dog eats them. The yellow and the fluffy ones, he's weird. When I was little I used to blow the seeds away and make a wish with the fluffy ones and if you hold a yellow one under your chin and it makes a yellow spot on your skin it's supposed to mean you like butter.
  48. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Fuffy flowers!

i didn't know they where related to dandelions. I used to believe as a kid that if you rub dandelions on people as a kid it would make you pee....

...such a "fact" that I would come up with.
  49. Katcal I Aten't French !

:eek: We really don't need to know the details of your anatomy, man.
  50. Electric_Man Templar

That's buttercups, isn't it?

And as Kat and Faerie said, Dandelions can be yellow and normal but go through a fluffy stage too.
  51. Katcal I Aten't French !

Darn, Hsing, and that was my best post in ages too ! :sad:
  52. Hsing Moderator

I'm so sorry.

Listen, you hereby get the right to change stuff in my next post at your will, and I have to edit it in, and then we are even. Okay? :redface:
  53. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It was probably* rubbish anyway. And french.

*Definatly.
  54. Katcal I Aten't French !

Nah, s'ok... :wink:
    DefinItely. :razz:
    Just for once, I posted something sweet and I was being nice to you, that'll sure teach me not to do that again, won't it. :cool: Too bad, the evidence is gone forever.
  55. Faerie New Member

Buttercups would make more sense now that I think about it, but I'm not the only one who used dandelions. I found other websites mentioning it. I think it would work with any yellow flower.

Wikipedia tells me of the many uses of the dandelion, I thought it was just a weed you could make wine from.
  56. Katcal I Aten't French !

The leaves are good in salads. And yes, it probably works with most yellow flowers, but originally it was buttercups...
  57. Hsing Moderator

That would have been my second candidate for the competition. Looking at it now, I actually like it better - but, too late.
    The pictures have all been taken around Belvedere (Manor) in Weimar.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  58. fairyliquid New Member

wow hsing, I love the first photo...

here are a few I took while looking for a landscape image for the competition...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

They're not brilliant but I was really just trying to learn how all the camera settings worked...
  59. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hsing, I will no longer comment on your pics, I feel too repetitive saying they're all great.

Fairy, love the colours on that last one ! wow !
  60. Katcal I Aten't French !

I love taking pics like this one :D Totally mad, but I just love the effect...
    Long exposure in a long long tunnel on our way home from Geneva.
    [IMG]