More nice and accurate prophecies...

Discussion in 'MORE TERRY PRATCHETT NOVELS' started by Katcal, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

(Minor Good Omens spoiler further on)

My mind whent drifting just now, to the prophecie of Agnes Nutter, warning people not to buy Betamax :D (someone actually tried to lend me a tape the other day and didn't realize at all that it was not a VHS format... Mighty funny.)

And so there I was thinking to myself ; well, In the second volume of Agnes's prophecies, there must have been things about now, and how would Agnes have depicted 9/11, the passing of the millenium, the big milenium bug scare, or other post-1990 events. So here's the rules, basic as they are : describe a recent event in Agnes fashion, i.e. as obscure as possible yet understandable once the event has taken place...

Please, no predicting future events (up to and including killer penguin appearances) for that is juste spookye.

Here be an example from the booke:
    [quote:71ca0f211b="Agnes Nutter"][i:71ca0f211b][b:71ca0f211b]3988. Whene menne of crocus come frome the Earth and green manne frome the Sky, yet ken not why, and luto's barres quitte the lighning castels, and sunken landes riseth and Leviathan runneth free, and Brazil is vert, then Three cometh together and Four arise, upon iron horses ride; I tell you the Ende draweth nigh.[/b:71ca0f211b][/i:71ca0f211b][/quote:71ca0f211b]
  2. Maljonic Administrator

That's mint. :D
  3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I don't understand it. :(
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

What don't you understand ? the rules or the prophecy ? Have you read Good Omens ? if not, that may explain things :D
  5. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Actually, I misread! I thought the example you gave was one you had written about current events. Hence my inability to find meaning in it!
  6. Electric_Man Templar

Grace misread! The rumours are true, the world is falling apart!

That is what the prophecy meant, right?
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yup ! Absolutely ! :D

I thought she was just battling against the desire to correct the olde english spelling :D
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Heh. I'm fine with old-fashioned spelling and language in an appropriate context, just not when it's applied indiscriminately and incorrectly in a modern context. Take note, Mr Roman 'Mayhap' Kalik. ;)
  9. Pixel New Member

Agnes Nutter, volume II Prophecy 1: Whene manye be together in Communitie, but those few arise who would destroye, then one shall create a newe haven, to whiche the Communitie will goe, ande noe destroyer shall be permitted, shall theye be known.

(Remember - spelling optional - or maybe just a few centuries out of date!)
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:699665a38b="Pixel"]Agnes Nutter, volume II Prophecy 1: Whene manye be together in Communitie, but those few arise who would destroye, then one shall create a newe haven, to whiche the Communitie will goe, ande noe destroyer shall be permitted, shall theye be known. [b:699665a38b]And there shallt be bunnyes.[/b:699665a38b][/quote:699665a38b]
    You missed a bit Pixel, but otherwise yes, great start to this little activity corner... I'm still trying to think up a decent one.
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

[i:369f58ef1e][b:369f58ef1e]Agnes Nutter, volume II Prophecy 2: And lo, in the neste of the Eagle, shall the Bundes snacke choke the Eagle's head, and itte shall suffer from onne light headwounde. And the worlde shall looke on and laugh moste heartily.[/b:369f58ef1e][/i:369f58ef1e]
  12. Pixel New Member

Nice one, Kat!

Agnes Nutter, volume II Prophecy 3: The unknowne manne of learning, of manye times and manye faces, shall return, to please thee people who watch ane magic glass.
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

I like it... lacks a bit of a reference to that daft blonde girl, but still, nice :D
  14. Pixel New Member

Agnes Nutter, volume II Prophecy 4: An elder Eagle's Head shall staine the robes of Orient - his chick shalle untowardly touch the Bunde - and the people wille mocke their diplomacie mightily.
  15. Pixel New Member

Agnes Nutter, volume II Prophecy 5: Ane great structure wille be decreede, and ane river of fire be predicted, also ane fault in thee devices of thee believers in mathematics, but one shall happen, one shall be not as expected, and the third shall be forestalled by manye workers. Also, alle these events will be predicted by others too early by a year.
  16. Pixel New Member

Agnes Nutter, volume II Prophecy 6: Nine shalle come unto the witche, and suffer interrogation and insults, but one shall profit, although the others shalle receive nothing.
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

I didn't quite get 4 and 5 but 6 was mightily funny :D
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

[i:6adfe2566d][b:6adfe2566d]Agnes Nutter, volume II Prophecy 7: Thee Elder Sibling shallt be not seene but shall see all, and manye prisoners shall be freed bye the vote of texte, and much shouting shall be hearde, ande false idols shall be worshipped again in vain.[/b:6adfe2566d][/i:6adfe2566d]
  19. Hsing Moderator

Okay, I have to admit it: I didn't get a single one, except Pixel's first one. That's me. I'd have loved to participate, but I didn't get yours, so I saw no point in making up my own.
    Could anyone back me up and admit they didn't get it either, please? You've all been suspiciously quiet! Don't tell me you all understood...
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I understood the Big Brother one and the Millennium bug as well, but I didn't get the others.
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

6 was about The Weakest Link, I liked that one

5 was about the millenium bug not happening

4 was about George bush Sr. and Jr. This one pixel had to explain to me, I recognized bits, but not the actual event...

3 was about the return of Dr Who, that was typically English, Hsing, so no sweat there ;)

2 was about Bush choking on a pretzel

1 was about the board moving...