Maskerade

Discussion in 'THE WITCH BOOKS' started by shadowgirl, Oct 24, 2005.

1. shadowgirl New Member

:eek:
    l loved the bit in Maskerade when Granny plays poker with Death.

Now l know Death did not "lose" as such, but the way he admited defeat was just wonderful.

l smiled when l read it and possibly shed a tear at Mr Pratchetts wonderful sentimental side.

Also, l enjoyed Greebo going to the opera with Granny.
  2. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It's not my favourite, but it is very good fun.
  3. Plugger New Member

the most interesting bit is about the cable street particular...cant remeber name...andri???
  4. Rincewind Number One Doorman

He was a really good character, it's a shame he wasn't used in any other books.
  5. Hsing Moderator

Yes, and I was always missing a little background info on the modern Cable Street Particulars in general. Well, maybe an inflation of sinister characters isn't too good in the long run, either.
    But has it been mentioned somewhere -excuse my bad memory- why exactly Vimes revived the Cable Street Particulars?
    I mean, I can see the point of Policemen in civil clothing - and I remember the quote regarding that- but seeing which bad memories the name "Cable Street Particulars" must cause, I wouldn't want to name my troup after them.
  6. Plugger New Member

they were remade because they could be the secret policemen to find the secret crimes, or something along those lines
    and it could just be the vimes wanted people to fear the name, not sure
  7. Hsing Moderator

Well, as said, the first point I got.
    It was his intention when re-using the names I was wondering about.
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

Last week, I was at an webdesign festival (not as fun as it sounds) and I took Maskerade with me to read on the train... I was musing on the fact that I really AM like Agnes/Perdita, except I have lousy hair and a crappy annoying personnality, in a typical self-thumping depressed missing-my-husband mood. And than I get there, and at one point, I get chatting to this lovely American lady who says "oh, yes, I noticed you yesterday, you have wonderful hair..."

Shit.
  9. scif1girl New Member

[quote:0e80b8c782="Plugger"]the most interesting bit is about the cable street particular...cant remeber name...andri???[/quote:0e80b8c782]

You mean Andre the organ player?
  10. drunkymonkey New Member

The best part of that book is the Josh Kirby version's blurb.

But Granny Weathwx is in the audience, and [i:42a4ff1dd2]she doesn't hold that sort of thing.[/i:42a4ff1dd2]

So there's going to be [i:42a4ff1dd2]trouble.[/i:42a4ff1dd2]

It was a great book I reckon.
  11. Silvermoth New Member

I liked it, I think Agnes could be possibly one of my favourite characters of the series
    ________
    Squirt4Uuu Cam
  12. Githa New Member

Er I thought the cable street paticulars were the secret police in Night watch and thats why they brought back bad memories?
  13. Hsing Moderator

They are still being revived in later -or rather earlier books... well, later in the time line, and by Vimes, as far as I remember. Andre was the first one being mentioned. It was, from the top off my head, something like "Criminals weren't wearing a uniform so they needed policemen who didn't either", something vaguely along those lines.
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep, hidden policement to find hidden criminals... I suppose Vimes remembered the old ones and wanted to start the CSPs again and do it right this time, so they would really serve the law, and not just have fun torturing people with soft drinks...
  15. PerditaXDream New Member

I loved this book
    i was looking on www.terrypratchettbooks.com and was really annoyed at the half arsed treatment the (obviously completley ignorant of the subject matter)pruducers of this site gave this book.
    For instance there is a table that charts the different themes/satires in the books, and under maskerade they put "the Grand Opera"
    Its a satire of Phantom Of The Chuffin Opera, morons!
    my lips have gone so thin you can barely see them

hmph
  16. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I have to agree with you on that point, Perdita. I can think of many cases when a book reviewer has given his or her "expert" comments after reading just the first few paragraphs and hasn't really grasped the plot. Terry's books are very popular in our local library and a group of readers like to post their comments for others to share.
    Here are a few examples...
    "Death's grand-daughter has to save Christmas with the help of a drunken god" - The Hogfather? Christmas?
    "An apprentice sets out to build a perfect clock. It will kill time, literally and only the old Abbot of an ancient order can save the day" - Thief of Time.
    "The wizards of the Discworld have invented cinematography and a lot of other problems" - Moving Pictures.

I'm going to start and pull these notes off the board next time I see one. :x
  17. NannyOgg New Member

I love Maskerade! Its definitly one of my favorits.

I like the way Terry Prachett tells the Phanto of the Opera story.
    "There is a guy called Les and he is always miserable." :D
  18. Earthland New Member

Maskerade is my favourite :D . It was the first book I read....
  19. thedisc New Member

I enjoyed it but it wasn't one of his best.
    It was good to do the story as a way of bringing Anges into the trio of witches.
  20. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

Maskerade is really good fun, but I enjoyed it more the second time around, by which time I actually had more than a vague familiarity with Phantom. I love Death's appearance in costumes at the end.

I suspect the name 'Cable Street Particulars' was, at the time, just a straightforward parody of Sherlock Holmes' Baker Street Irregulars, and it was only when Terry came to write Night Watch that he decided to give the original version their Gestapo/Stasi-like qualities.
  21. pfft New Member

I liked "Maskerade" quite a lot, even though I HATE Oprah! (And that Includes Winfrey, too). Did anyone notice that the witches (after turning Greebo into a human) were able to clothe him magically in "Witches Abroad", but had to buy him a suit in "Maskerade"?- he he

Still a bit weird how Salzella died though! He died because he THOUGHT he'd been stabbed??? Whoa, only on the Discworld!!!
  22. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

But, apparently, Christine is alive and moving among us! :wink:
  23. pfft New Member

Did you send the roses?! :wink:
  24. Sunna New Member

I don't seem to like M a lot,but I suspect it's only because I'm huge and have good hair BUT I can't sing.
  25. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh well, join the club there Sunna, except I have lousy hair and a crap personnality. But I can sing, of course, not as well as Agnes.
  26. I love musical theatre and I loved how it came on in the end!! Mwa ha!!! Mwa ha!!!! Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!:lol:
  27. Sunna New Member

Weerrll,on a slightly but related note,I once got singing lessons for a christmas present and my singing coach said I COULD sing,only I didn't have enough confidence and crap lung technique. I still don't think I can sing meself though.