Death, Rincewind, Witches ... and Ankh-Morpork?

Discussion in 'GODS, DESERTS, IMPS, LETTERS AND WAR' started by Lurkin Ghoole, May 7, 2007.

1. Lurkin Ghoole New Member

I wonder if a new family of DW novels is emerging ... it seems to me as if the formerly clear Guards category has morphed through Truth, Going Postal, and Thud into a broader category of Ankh-Morpork stories? It would reduce the number of what I used to think of as "singleton" novels ... like Small Gods and Pyramids ...
  2. Hsing Moderator

I can see what you mean. Still, Rincewind was an Ankh-Morporkian at heart - even though some of the stories didn't take place in AM for most of the storyline-time- and even the witches had their guest appearances there. I think that it is just the setting that evolved more than any other Discworld setting. (Maybe it's just a typical trait for places like Lancre to remain pretty much the same at heart.)
    One book that tried a totally new setting and, partly, tone, was Monstrous Regiment, and that left many fans bewildered. (I thought it was good, but often found myself in the minority there.)
  3. Stercus Stercus New Member

They do say "All roads lead to Ankh-Morpork." And with a city of 1 million people there are alot of stories waiting to be told.
  4. mr_scrub New Member

No, they say "All roads lead away from Ankh-Morpork, but some people go on them the wrong way" :D

Would Thief of Time be an "Ankh-Morpork" story? It is set in Ankh, but it isn't really real without muggings and robbery every half-second.
  5. Stercus Stercus New Member

I always find that people head in the opposite direction to me.

As it's set in A-M, it's an A-M book. I think.
  6. Lurkin Ghoole New Member

Genres Practchettian

This is fun; being separated from all of you by about 9 hours; lots of wayward opinions to minister to when I get home! <lopsided grin>

The topic before us now includes "Thief of Time" -- is it an Ankh Morpork novel? Actually, in my exceedingly modest view, it's a Death ... or at least a Susan Death ... novel more than anything else.

And about "Monstrous Regiment" ... I think the presence of stalwarts Edward deWorde, Vimes and Angua, (not to mention the lurking presence of the Patrician offstage) makes it at least a second degree Ankh-Morpork story. That godless, I mean godawful city ...

I didn't much like MR on first reading, but 2nd and 3rd time through it grew on me; now I think of it as one of Pratchett's best.

Around the Godde there forms a Shelle of prayers and Ceremonies and Buildings and Priestes and Authority, until at Last the Godde Dies. Ande this may notte be noticed.

Is there any of that coffee left?
  7. Stercus Stercus New Member

Most of the books feature death. He likes to observe. ToT is set in Ankh and intruduces us to other citizens of the city. As future books will.

I just finished the last of the coffee. i'll put another pot on.
  8. Electric_Man Templar

Thief of Time is clearly part of the Death series. Death had his own storyline in gathering the horsemen, as well as Susan's contribution. If you discount it as Ankh Morpork, you may as well discount Soul Music and Hogfather, which have as much A-M and Susan-ness as ToT.

There are more people in the rest of the disc. I think stories were originally set there as it was the most dynamic of cities, now I think it's the case that the 'scenery' (mainly the politics) is established and Terry (as well as the readers) want to see how it evolves and indeed evolved, hence Night Watch.

Same here, maybe it helped that I was oblivious to the precedents of everyone being a girl so didn't expect absolutely everyone to be. That seemed to ruin it for some.

Second degree at most, it was basically a stand-alone, with a few familiar characters. Pyramids had a few Morporkians (in particular assasins), Small Gods had a librarian cameo and previously mentioned Ephebians, etc etc.
  9. Hsing Moderator

Agreed. And all that didn't make them Ankh-Morpork - novels as such, with the city not even being the main setting... Or the vast majority of books would be. :)