Why Pterry?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Rewr, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Rewr New Member

Just wondering why when referring to Terry Pratchett, Pterry is used?
  2. Stercus Stercus New Member

You need to read pyramids for the answer to that one.
  3. Rewr New Member

I'll re-read it then! Think I've got an inkling, but it's escaping me at the moment.

I have just started at the beginning again in preparation of my big adventure next year...:smile:
  4. mowgli New Member

Stercus, you cheeky monkey! :tongue:
  5. mazekin Member

:redface: Ok, i'll hold my hand up for this one. I didn't know that / got that either. Biiiig red face on this girl right now. :redface:
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

Dunno why I suddenly remembered this, but it reminds me of an anecdote. My mum was booking a hotel for some friends, whose name is Thompson (the p is silent, for those not familiar with it) and so she told the hotel their name was "Thompson with a P" (Thomson is also a form of the same name). When they got to the hotel, it took the girl at the reception quite a while to realise that the person who wrote down the reservation had written it Ptomson. :D
  7. Maljonic Administrator

Did you know that pter means wing or winged? As in the dinosaur Pterodactyl meaning winged finger; or pterosauros, meaning winged lizard; or even the more modern helicopter, which is a combination of helico (Spiral, spinning, helix) and pter.

Hopefully that should make the whole Pterry thing a little clearer. :)
  8. Tephlon Active Member

Mal, you cheeky monkey...

Actually it's a LOT simpler.

Terry used to post on the alt.fan.pratchett newsgroup as Pterry.

The names in pyramids stem from that. (Pterry -> Pteppic/Ptraci)
  9. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Tephlon, you cheeky ptermonkey... (winged monkey from Wizard of Oz)

Actually Terry's name from alt.fan.pratchett (pterry) comes from Pyraminds, not the other way around.

Mal- Your Helicopter bit was most interesting.
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh dear, IT has happened again.

I'm going to have to agree with Rinso.

Although I must admit that the helicopter thingy was fun, Mal, but monkeyboy is right, it comes from Pyramids and the whole sticking a P in front of names beginning with a T thing...
  11. Rewr New Member

Thanks guys,

As I'm re-reading all dw books, in published order, I now don't need to rush through the next 4 1/2!:D
  12. Tephlon Active Member

I just checked the APF (Annotated Pratchet File) and you are right, Rinso.*

Weird. I misremembered that.

*Now there's a sentence I thought I'd never type... ;-)
  13. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Hail! Rinso, King of Knowledge!