Which dead Russian composer are you?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hermia, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Hermia New Member

Amusing link.

I am Igor Stravinsky, apparently.

Known as a true son of the new 20th Century, my music started out melodic and folky but slowly got more dissonant and bizzare as I aged. I am a traveler and a neat freak, and very much hated those rotten eggs thrown at me after the premiere of "The Rite of Spring."

Edit: To correct identity crisis ("you" instead of "I"). Dammit, and I was so careful to get the tags right!
  2. Electric_Man Templar

Yay! One work allows me to access!

I am Sergei Rakhmaninov.
    I lived in the early Twentieth Century and was well known for my compositional, conducting, and piano skills, yet I am melancholy despite this talent. My famous works include my nearly-impossible piano concerti.
  3. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Actually, the man I was thinking about:

You are Dmitri Shostakovich!
    Congratulations! You are a shy, nervous, unassuming, fidgety, and stuttery little person who began composing the same year you started music lessons of any sort. You wrote the first of your fifteen symphonies at age 18, and your second opera, "Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District," when you were only 26. Unfortunately, Stalin hated the opera, and put you on the Enemy Of The People List for life. You nevertheless kept composing the works you wanted to write in private; some of your vocal cycles and 15 string quartets mock the Soviet System in notes. And you somehow were NOT killed in the process! And Harry Potter(c) stole your glasses and broke them!
  4. Trollmother New Member

You are Aleksandr Borodin.

Son of a 19th Century Russian prince and a...non-royal...mother, you went to medical school and became a biochemist. Most people, however, (and probably your twenty cats as well) agree that they'd trade all of your scientific discoveries for another set of "Polovetsian Dances."

I have only three cats :)

edit:spelling
  5. jaccairn New Member

I'm another Borodin.

I did study Biochemistry though :)
  6. Hsing Moderator

I, too, am an Igor... Igor Stravinsky.
  7. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

Considered the leader of the 19th Century Composer group "The Mighty Handful," you are indeed the teacher among them. Your orchestration skills are superbly colorful, and are explained in your book on the topic, but works like "Scheherezade" explain your mastery better.

Im a leader :D
  8. Delphine New Member

I am Modest Mussorgsky.

"You are a Romantic period psycho who's drunk more often than not. You died of this affliction, not surprisingly. Your famous works include "Night on Bald Mountain" and "Pictures at an Exhibition.""

Oh dear. Oh well!
  9. Guest Guest

Modest Mussorgsky.
    You are a Romantic period psycho who's drunk more often than not. You died of this affliction, not surprisingly. Your famous works include "Night on Bald Mountain" and "Pictures at an Exhibition."

Hey Ella i think we should die drinking together if you answered the same as me mate! :lol:
  10. lipi New Member

Apparently, I'm Shostakovich.. I have no idea where that came from... better go drink some more vodka and either utterly change my personality or at least loose it.
  11. mowgli New Member

No Tchaikovskys so far? :)

I'm Shostakovich as well - weeeee, if Stalin hates me, then I'm doing something right!

Oh, and to all the Mussorgskys here - big thanks for the "Night of the Bald Mountain", one of my favorite animations from the Fantasia videos!!!
  12. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:fc54c24614="Delphine"]"Night on Bald Mountain"[/quote:fc54c24614]

That sounds extremely dirty, but perhaps since I'm so far beyond tiredness right now that the homo sapiens bits of my consciousness has given up complaining and simply passed into a calm warm coma, the cave man bits that are still awake are interpreting all input as either sex, food or enemy.
  13. Maljonic Administrator

Igor Stravinsky.
  14. Hermia New Member

Actually, I was Rakhmaninov the first time I did the test, a week ago, but I went back to check the spelling and came out completely different.

Ella, did you just tick all the vodka boxes?
  15. Delphine New Member

No! I ticked a couple of the vodka boxes. No point lying, is there. ;)
  16. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

[quote:0b9c0af3a6="KaptenKaries"][quote:0b9c0af3a6="Delphine"]"Night on Bald Mountain"[/quote:0b9c0af3a6]

That sounds extremely dirty, [/quote:0b9c0af3a6]

It's just one of the Kiev mountains. :) Famous for witches:)
  17. Marcia Executive Onion

I'm another Borodin.
  18. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:49a7c8e52f="Ivan_the_terrible"][quote:49a7c8e52f="KaptenKaries"][quote:49a7c8e52f="Delphine"]"Night on Bald Mountain"[/quote:49a7c8e52f]

That sounds extremely dirty, [/quote:49a7c8e52f]

It's just one of the Kiev mountains. :) Famous for witches:)[/quote:49a7c8e52f]

That's interesting. How do you say Bald Mountain in Russian?
  19. spiky Bar Wench

You are Modest Mussorgsky.
    You are a Romantic period psycho who's drunk more often than not. You died of this affliction, not surprisingly. Your famous works include "Night on Bald Mountain" and "Pictures at an Exhibition."

An answer that involved vodka an awful lot... and I wasn't making it up... I'm so ashamed
  20. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

[quote:b769cbf7b9="KaptenKaries"][quote:b769cbf7b9="Ivan_the_terrible"][quote:b769cbf7b9="KaptenKaries"][quote:b769cbf7b9="Delphine"]"Night on Bald Mountain"[/quote:b769cbf7b9]

That sounds extremely dirty, [/quote:b769cbf7b9]

It's just one of the Kiev mountains. :) Famous for witches:)[/quote:b769cbf7b9]

That's interesting. How do you say Bald Mountain in Russian?[/quote:b769cbf7b9]

lysaja gora (in Russian), lysa gora (in Ukrainian). (stress goes on 'y' in lysa and lysaya - bald; and on 'a' in gora - mountain)
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:a2129c0898]You are Sergei Rakhmaninov.

You lived in the early Twentieth Century and were well known for your compositional, conducting, and piano skills, yet you are melancholy despite this talent. Your famous works include your nearly-impossible piano concerti.[/quote:a2129c0898]

I really must try to drink more vodka...
  22. peapod_j New Member

You are Igor Stravinsky.
    Known as a true son of the new 20th Century, your music started out melodic and folky but slowly got more dissonant and bizzare as you aged. You are a traveler and a neat freak, and very much hated those rotten eggs thrown at you after the premiere of "The Rite of Spring."

i did russian history and i dont kow who this is (ok a russian composer but still)
  23. Perdita New Member

You are Pyotr Chaikovsky.

I AM the Real Chaikovsky! Considered by most Westerners to be the greatest Russian composer of all, most late 19th Century Russians think I'm actually too Westernized in my musical tendencies. Despite this criticism, as well as the flak I had to take for my preference of Y-chromosomes, my ballets "The Nutcracker" and "Swan Lake" are upheld as among the greatest and most popular pieces of all time.

Whoo Hooo- Swan Lake- I love it! :D
  24. Bradthewonderllama New Member

[quote:6e67a9d002="peapod_j"]You are Igor Stravinsky.
    Known as a true son of the new 20th Century, your music started out melodic and folky but slowly got more dissonant and bizzare as you aged. You are a traveler and a neat freak, and very much hated those rotten eggs thrown at you after the premiere of "The Rite of Spring."

i did russian history and i dont kow who this is (ok a russian composer but still)[/quote:6e67a9d002]

Have you ever heard of the Firebird?
  25. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:9260231878]Have you ever heard of the Firebird?[/quote:9260231878]

Yeah, a great Pontiac car !!! The one they used in Knight Rider with the kinky red light on the front...

huh ? outside ? me ? ok, ok, I'm going... :D
  26. Hermia New Member

[quote:3e17adda2a="Perdita"]You are Pyotr Chaikovsky.

I AM the Real Chaikovsky! Considered by most Westerners to be the greatest Russian composer of all, most late 19th Century Russians think I'm actually too Westernized in my musical tendencies. Despite this criticism, as well as the flak I had to take for my preference of Y-chromosomes, my ballets "The Nutcracker" and "Swan Lake" are upheld as among the greatest and most popular pieces of all time.

Whoo Hooo- Swan Lake- I love it! :D[/quote:3e17adda2a]

Did you tick the box that said "Are you the real Chaikovsky?"
  27. Perdita New Member

Surprisingly I can't remember-
    (obviously my genius composing tendancies are overtaking all my other normal brain functions)

I will try the test again at some stage today to find out- and I'll let you know- Are you jealous of my intelligence? ;)
  28. Dane New Member

You are Sergei Rakhmaninov.

You lived in the early Twentieth Century and were well known for your compositional, conducting, and piano skills, yet you are melancholy despite this talent. Your famous works include your nearly-impossible piano concerti.
  29. OmKranti Yogi Wench

You are Dmitri Shostakovich!

Congratulations! You are a shy, nervous, unassuming, fidgety, and stuttery little person who began composing the same year you started music lessons of any sort. You wrote the first of your fifteen symphonies at age 18, and your second opera, "Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District," when you were only 26. Unfortunately, Stalin hated the opera, and put you on the Enemy Of The People List for life. You nevertheless kept composing the works you wanted to write in private; some of your vocal cycles and 15 string quartets mock the Soviet System in notes. And you somehow were NOT killed in the process! And Harry Potter(c) stole your glasses and broke them!

I wonder what you'd get if you ticked all the vodka boxes?.... Ella?

You are Modest Mussorgsky.

30. Hermia New Member

...In other words, yes, you get Ella!
  31. Sarbar New Member

Wow ! full of melancholy, despite having talent.
    Obviously Electric man, Dane and myself are kindred spirits who have an aversion to vodka..