Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Roman_K, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Maljonic Administrator

Hey, doesn't 'zauber' sort of mean magic? I thought it did for sure but when I tried to translate magic from English into German at dictionary.com is said 'magie'.
  2. Hsing Moderator

Zauber: magic, spell, enchantment, allurement, attraction, cantrip (Scot.), charm, fascination, glamor, and sortilege. :)
  3. Maljonic Administrator

Thanks, I'm glad because I've often used the phrase/paraphrase: vorsprung durch zauber, thinking I was being quite clever, and was afraid I'd been mistaken all this time. :)
  4. Hsing Moderator

No, you were right; even though I would probably say "Vorsprung durch Magie" (if you are referring to "Vorsprung durch Technik") because it has a clearer meaning, not as many submeanings, as "Zauber". :D
  5. Maljonic Administrator

But zauber sounds so much cooler, to me at least. :)
  6. Delphine New Member

It is!
  7. Mynona Member

For uni we have to read Great expectations and Macbeth. In this case I'm going to read macbeth and then put off great expectations for as long as possible. I do not like Dickens, I dislike him more than being forced to read.
  8. chrisjordan New Member

Miss Havisham r0x0rrs.
  9. QuothTheRaven New Member

Watch the South Park version. I actually know someone who claims to have passes the test based solely on it. Plus, it doesn't have such a crappy ending.
  10. TamyraMcG Active Member

I just finished The Lightyears beneath My Feet by Alan Dean Foster. It is the second of the Taken trilogy. I sent him a thank you email and got a nice reply. He has quite a variety of works and I have enjoyed them a lot. He says his books are mostly travelogues at heart and I like where they have taken me.
  11. TamyraMcG Active Member

I just finished another book by a local author, Waiting For White Horses by Nathan Jorgenson. It was a damned fine read and it was set primarily on one of my favorite lakes. I don't know what it is about this place but we do seem to have our share of decent writers.

One of the interesting things is that the publisher and the photographer chose to use a picture of the author as the book cover totally accidentally, and I couldn't imagine a better image then the one they chose. They couldn't have done any better if they had planned it.

This is one book that I would think could translate into a movie. There is so much visual imagery that would be worth getting on film, but I suppose the anti hunting factions out there would make it hard to get the heart of the story into a film.

I also finished We Few by David Weber. I hope there is more to come from the Empire of Man and the now Emperor Roger MacClintock.
  12. Nester New Member

Minnesota is gettinga reputation for producing mystery and true crime writers. Today I just planned out a display at work for it. There are quite a few books out there. Silence of the Loons, Anything by PJ Tracy, a new one out called Twin Cities Noir, and lord knows how many others...

I just recently re-started Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I read The Gunslinger about 5 years ago, but the second book was just a little too wierd for me at the time. Maybe I'm wierder now, because I loved it. I'm on book 4 now. I've never really read anything else by King, but I may have to after this.
  13. Angua_rox New Member

I am reading Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles at the moment. . . it's good. A little boring occasionally, but good overall.
  14. Silvermoth New Member

I'm reading "Doctor Who:Only Human" by Gareth Roberts at the moment but I'm looking forward to starting "Going Postal" after that and then getting started on "The Sillmarillion" by J.R.R Tolkien. :)
    ________
    Sweetbabyxxx cam
  15. Nester New Member

Save yourself the trouble and pre-plan what you're going to do after the stroke hits. ;)
  16. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I am reading The First Swords - The Book of Swords Vol I, II & III by Fred Saberhagen. I have nearly finished book II, interesting so far.

I am also reading a religious book called Towards The Goal Supreme by Swami Virajananda and Christopher Isherwood.

I am also reading The Light of My Fathers Smile by Alice Walker.

Silvermoth, let us know how the Sillmarillion goes, I have wanted to undertake that reading for a while.
  17. QuothTheRaven New Member

I am reading the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for Lit. & Comp.

I read the Sillmarillion a while ago. Once you finish it, you should go back and read LOR to see if you can spot all the references to the Sillmarillion.
  18. Silvermoth New Member

Certainly. I've got a few books to read before that but I'll tell you all about it.
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:e06790739e="QuothTheRaven"]I read the Sillmarillion a while ago. Once you finish it, you should go back and read LOR to see if you can spot all the references to the Sillmarillion.[/quote:e06790739e]
    Absolutely ! And you mayfind it handy to have a notebook at hand to write down and work out who is who, because they all have about 20 different names and I remember getting slightly lost many a time before I worked out that the new character was just an old one with a different name :D
  20. Watchman New Member

Currently reading Persian Fire by Tom Holland, history book on the Persian Empire and it's wars with the Greek states of Sparta and Athens. Fascinating stuff.

Also, just finished Agincourt by Juliet Barker, again a great read if you like history. Wonderful little asides like the story of the artillery expert who managed to hit 3 targets in a row, was then accused of being in league with the devil, (as such accuracy with a cannon of those times was unheard of, a million to one) and sent on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, thus missing the entire military campaign. It also argues very convincingly against the recent theory that the sides werent quite as stacked in France's favour and that they were likely only 3-1 instead of old 6-1 that contempories placed it at.
  21. QuothTheRaven New Member

Which war war would you be refering to.
  22. Watchman New Member

It was one of the many, though probably most famous, of the battles fought in the Hundred Years War between England and France, and all their vassals and allies that finally ended when the English lost all their holdings in France after Joan of Arc led the French to final victory.

Darned witch.

:)
  23. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I have finished Alice Walkers "By the Light of My Fathers Smile" it was a pretty heavy book, well written. I would recomend it.

I have also started on More Tales of the City. I love those books. They rock.
  24. drunkymonkey New Member

I've just finished Thief of Time and Night Watch. I'm going to get The Truth next.
  25. fairyliquid New Member

I'm reading cookoo's nest by Ken Kesey for english

I'm finding it quite interesting - we're looking into mental disorders and what classes someone as 'crazy' or 'normal' as well as looking at the hostorical context and why that effects the novel (i.e. the fact he was on drugs for most of the period the book was written in)

Also reading Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. Haven't gotten far yet though.
  26. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I started the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan last weekend. I am now about 300 pages in and very confusted. But it's becoming more clear. It's so Tolkienesque you would almost think it fan fiction.
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I know! I keep having to pause in reading it just to goggle at how Tolkienesque it is.
  28. TamyraMcG Active Member

Today I finished Sunstorm by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Barnes and The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett. Sunstorm is book Two of A Time Odessy the first was Time's Eye. It is a end of the world as we know it book and is pretty scary.

There were a few parallels between the two books, both featured a small band of geniuses trying to pull off delaying the end of all things and the messing around with humanity by powerful entities, with the possibility of getting the better of said powerful entities.

I'm also reading Feet of Clay, after I finished Thud I felt the need to revisit the Watch books.

My friends at Beagle books are pretty impressed with these Terry Pratchett books, especially these last two I got, Where's My Cow? and the Last Hero. I just remembered, the cover picture of Rincewind is in homage to Edvard Munch's The Scream and I read a few weeks ago that painting has just been returned to it's museum after having been stolen four years ago, that was a relief to me. That painting is one of my all time favorites.
  29. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hey, that's good news, I'm surprised we didn't hear about this, they went on and on about it being stolen...
  30. KaptenKaries New Member

A friend of mine recommended me a book called Gotrek & Felix - Trollslayer. I went and bought a compilation of this book and the two following books, Skavenslayer and Daemonslayer.

This story is set in the Warhammer world - you know that old tabletop game with all those tiny men you had to paint.

I was a bit sceptic when I went and bought it, so I asked the salesman "A friend recommended me this book, it's called Felix something, is it any good?". His reply was "Well, if you like dark hack-n-slash fantasy, it's good".

I figured what the heck, I'll give the book a try. The salesman was right. There is not a single page in this book where Gotrek and Felix aren't fighting trolls, skaven, deamons, werewolves, mutants, goblins, orcs or drunken woodsmen in an inn somewhere.
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

That old game is still going strong, and painting tiny men is quite an art :cooler:
  32. KaptenKaries New Member

Yes, it's incredible the amount of detail some manage to squeeze in there. I tried to paint one of those little characters once, it just turned out a red man with red robes and a red sword.
  33. Katcal I Aten't French !

Try a smaller brush :D I have a few friends who actually make decent money painting mini figures and scenery for game tables, I'm doing a lot of translating for them, it's quite amazing stuff...
  34. QuothTheRaven New Member

I just finnished Huck Finn last night, and tommarrow we should be starting Oedipus Rex, in all its Dad-killing and Mom-marrying glory.
  35. Watchman New Member

Bernard Cornwell's The Pale Horseman, second in that series and quite entertaining along the same vein and the Sharpe chronicles but set in Saxon England against the Danish invaders. A fun read if you like this type but very generic of his writting style, he changes the historical era but the main character's personality traits are generally very similar.

Also just started on a non-fiction book about Edward, the Black Prince. Another one about the 100 years war and very engrossing.
  36. Faerie New Member

R. A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy. The collectors edition with all three novels in one was left at the high school over the summer and no one claimed it so it is now mine. Actually its my sister's since I don't go to high school anymore and the secretary gave it to her but I can pretend. It's the first I've read of Salvatore's and does anyone know how to pronounce his name? My sister and I are debating the pronounciation.
  37. Hsing Moderator

Can you post a picture somewhere? Or a link?
  38. Katcal I Aten't French !

The english version of their site is not yet online (that's what I'm doing translation for) but here is the french one, just click on links if you don't understand, you'll end up getting somewhere ;)

This is their gallery
  39. inwig New Member

I'm sitting down to Wintersmith this evening. Speak later
  40. Hsing Moderator

Thanks! :) My very basic French finally is of some use.
  41. Roman_K New Member

I'm currently rereading The Difference Engine, a Steampunk masterpiece by Gibson and Sterling.
  42. fairyliquid New Member

I am about to pick up Vernon God Little....I've heard some good things about it so we shall see...
  43. peapod_j New Member

ive just finshed Wintersmith and now time to finsh the Truth as i started reading that before i got wintersmith.
  44. KaptenKaries New Member

I'm buying Wintersmith on my lunch break today.

I just finished those three Gotrek & Felix books I mentioned earlier in this thread. I liked the development of the books, they got better and better and the last one was actually quite enjoyeable. The story telling and plots might not be the best I've read but there are a number of concepts in the world that I really enjoy. I still think there's a bit too much focus on fighting, but you can't have it all. I'm gonna see if I can get my hands on the following books too.
  45. Watchman New Member

KaptenKaries, the second three books in the Gotrek and Felix series have just been or are soon to be released as a second omnibus edition, so if you can wait a little longer then worth buying them as one.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100281028type=Book

As for me, just finished Wintersmith too, but I'll withhold comment till a few more have read it and the inevitable thread about it opens up :)
  46. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:ae9817c644="Watchman"]KaptenKaries, the second three books in the Gotrek and Felix series have just been or are soon to be released as a second omnibus edition, so if you can wait a little longer then worth buying them as one.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100281028&type=Book[/quote:ae9817c644]

I think they're arriving here in Sweden in the beginning of November, so I'll wait. :) Have you read these books?
  47. Watchman New Member

Not those ones, not yet anyway, though since they released the first omnibus I've been meaning to. Have read many of the other games workshop related novels though, used to be heavily into it all back before university, girlfriends and then work stole my free time.
  48. QuothTheRaven New Member

So, we finnished [i:349dad6c53]Oedipus Rex[/i:349dad6c53]. Needless to say, it was more than a little disturbing.
  49. redneck New Member

Read "Only you can save mankind" this weekend. I'm going to try to find the other Johnny Mazwell books too. It was very different from what I was expecting.
  50. KaptenKaries New Member

I finished Wintersmith this weekend.
  51. koshu New Member

[quote:8944f36f32="KaptenKaries"]I finished Wintersmith this weekend.[/quote:8944f36f32]

i didnt even know it had been released here in south africa. I just phoned the book store and they said yes we have it.....YAY.........
    It costs R184 :( i hate being on an alowance.

I know what im about to say ive read is truely not up to the standards of what has been written here but who's read Artemis Folw?
    I've been re-reading them because my mate came back from Ireland with the fith one and i didn't even know it existed (that seems to be happening alot latley). so yes im reading Artemis fowl and i ust wanted to know if any one had read the fifth one and is it any good. i haven't read it yet so no spoilers i just want to know because no one will tell me.
  52. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I am not halfway through the Hunt of the Horn, the second Wheel Of Time book by Robert Jordan.
  53. Hex New Member

[quote:abdcdb88a0="QuothTheRaven"]So, we finnished [i:abdcdb88a0]Oedipus Rex[/i:abdcdb88a0]. Needless to say, it was more than a little disturbing.[/quote:abdcdb88a0]

I'm just getting started on that for my Mythology class!
    ... I'm supposed to be done with it by now, but this weekend I had the choice of reading either that or Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.
    Conrad won, mainly because I'll have to write a paper about it.

Yay University!
  54. inwig New Member

[quote:7ea575046f="koshu"]i didnt even know it had been released here in south africa. I just phoned the book store and they said yes we have it.....YAY.........
    It costs R184 :( i hate being on an alowance.[/quote:7ea575046f]Good heavens. They actually got the book less than 4 months after Europe!!! I'm impressed for a change.
    Two things to keep that happening - 1 go onto the bookstore's site and search for the author regularly. 2 as soon as you know the title of the latest book search for it. If it is the fanatics lot they are using the web as a tool to see what to put on the shelves. As soon as they start seeing the titles coming up as an item looked for but not found they will start pushing the local publisher. (I got very tired of going to the local branch to pre-order and getting told 'It's not even on our suppliers list yet'.) :roll:
  55. Nester New Member

I just started reading chuck Klosterman's [i:f4faa3aed8]Sex, Drugs, & Cocoa Puffs[/i:f4faa3aed8] It's mildly entertaining so far. Just a whole bunch of essays and articles on pop culture and whatever other random things he was in the mood to write about. Not my usual book, but how can you not be intrugued by that title? :)
  56. QuothTheRaven New Member

[quote:6ba0c5302b="Hex"][quote:6ba0c5302b="QuothTheRaven"]So, we finnished [i:6ba0c5302b]Oedipus Rex[/i:6ba0c5302b]. Needless to say, it was more than a little disturbing.[/quote:6ba0c5302b]

I'm just getting started on that for my Mythology class!
    ... I'm supposed to be done with it by now, but this weekend I had the choice of reading either that or Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.
    Conrad won, mainly because I'll have to write a paper about it.
    [/quote:6ba0c5302b]

While you are at it, you should see if you can find the movie version. John malcovich(sp?) was rather creepy as the antagonist. There is something about him that is just is just so disturbing. He was even scarier in Of Mice and Men.
  57. fairyliquid New Member

I'm reading Neil Gaiman's new short story collection. As with all of his other work, I'm not dissapointed, some of these stories are just amazing. I just finished reading 'October in the Chair' - it's fantastic. I love the idea of the months gathering together and telling stories and having their own personalities....
  58. Katcal I Aten't French !

[size=9:e4c8ca597a]Have just ordered Wintersmith. Don't tell my bank manager.[/size:e4c8ca597a]
  59. redneck New Member

I'm in the market for a new night-time reader. I like reading short stories, fun facts*, and/or essays before going to sleep, but it has to be something I can start and finish in a short while. I hardly ever start a book that I don't finish before going to bed (yeah, I really do stay up for days at a time reading books). Fairyliquid, do you have the name of the collection? If so, it sounds like something I would be interested in. Same goes for [i:10601e39b4]Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs[/i:10601e39b4].

*Just finished [i:10601e39b4]The Book of Useless Information[/i:10601e39b4] and it was a great read. It's the American version, but now I'd like to see how the UK version reads. Hmmm.
  60. fairyliquid New Member

[quote:677c4e1fd5="redneck"]I'm in the market for a new night-time reader. I like reading short stories, fun facts*, and/or essays before going to sleep, but it has to be something I can start and finish in a short while. I hardly ever start a book that I don't finish before going to bed (yeah, I really do stay up for days at a time reading books). Fairyliquid, do you have the name of the collection? If so, it sounds like something I would be interested in. Same goes for [i:677c4e1fd5]Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs[/i:677c4e1fd5]. [/quote:677c4e1fd5]

I'm the same redneck, or at least when I am in school I am the same. Though for me it's more that i don't have the time to spare. SHort stories are good for a little escape and entertainment but can be over without the story sticking in your mind and bothering you while you are trying to focus on other things.

fragile things by neil gaiman is the collection I'm speakign about.

edit to fix the link