Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Roman_K, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Roman_K New Member

I kept the original title of the thread, mostly because I got used to it and can't think of a better one at the moment.

For the latecomers, I feel the topic is rather straightforward. If you are reading a book at the moment, and wish to share it, then do so. Your opinion on the book in question would encourage others to read it.

This topic is brought to you by Roman, one of your local bookworms.

I've finished reading Jasper Fforde's [i:2d051b3efc]The Eyre Affair[/i:2d051b3efc]. I liked it, but I still believe that Ffrode is one strange fellow. Currently reading the next book in the series in question, [i:2d051b3efc]Lost in a Good Book[/i:2d051b3efc]. Still funny. Still strange.
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I am reading:

Shogun, by James Clavell
    A story by R Heinlein, the name of which I can't remember. It's about some guy called Lorenzo, who's an actor.
    Lone Wolf & Cub - a manga series.

I'm planning to start a re-read of the whole DW series soon.
  3. fairyliquid New Member

Im reading wyrd sisters right now and plan on reading the science of discworld next, i have about 30 books waiting to be read on my shelf so that should keep me busy for a while :eek:
  4. Electric_Man Templar

I take it we're still going to do the book discussion group? In which case I'll crack open Wee Free Men when I get home as mother has finished with it now.
  5. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Just finshed Danny Wallaces 'Yes Man' is a book about a guy, Danny Wallace, who realised that his life had become boring and he never could be arsed to see his friends, then after a chance meeting with a stranger on the bus who said 'Say Yes More' Danny decieded to say Yes to every request asked to him. It's like Dave Gorman when he followed his Horoscope to the letter. It's a good book. And we should say 'yes' more. Though, not to bad things like murder and rape.

Now i'm re-reading 'feet of clay' and i'm enjoying loads!
  6. Cynical_Youth New Member

I plan to, yes.

I'm opening it on Saturday. So go read it!

Edit:
    Isn't Danny Wallace doing a show on BBC called "How To Start Your Own Country"?

It's pretty funny.
  7. sleepy_sarge New Member

I'm reading "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson - a very amusing layman's terms book which is just what it says on the cover.

Also, I was looking for a quote from "The Fifth Elephant" and ended up re-reading it too.
  8. Ba Lord of the Pies

Buzzfloyd, the name of the book is Double Star. One of Ba's favorites.

Ba just finished reading Going Postal again. He's also reading House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Very strange book.
  9. Mynona Member

I'm inbetween book, yes that does sound pathetic to me too, so I'm taking the chance to reread Witches Abroad, which I haven't read in ages, and Wee Free Men, both for the discussion and because it has become one of my favorites.
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

That's it! Thanks, Ba. :)
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Fforde or Ffrode? ;)
  12. Roman_K New Member

Err, the first one, I think. At least, I hope it is.
  13. Splang New Member

Just finished reading Howl, a poem by Allen Ginsberg. I'm also reading King Lear. Set texts are probably the only thing i'll be reading till the end of the semester, but at least this year's books are pretty good. Last year we had to read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, which was terrible.
  14. Freya New Member

I'm currently reading The Last Continent, having realised that it was one that I had read only once, several years ago. Strangely though, I'm finding it hard going. I'm not sure if it's the book or my current mood.
  15. Maljonic Administrator

Going Postal for me at the moment, I love it but it's taking ages because I'm only reading it for about ten minutes at a time. :)
  16. Delphine New Member

Roman, I've read The Eyre Affair. I really liked it. I'd like to read "Lost in a Good Book" next... Is the the JurisFiction one? I can't remember.

And Rinso, have you read "Join Me" by danny wallace? It's great!
  17. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yeah, 'Join Me' is great! I read it instead of working one day while I was at the cinema. It was great. It changed my life for a day. Though, that doesn't sound much, I think it's quite an achievement. For one day I was nice and helpful to strangers, but after awhile I reaslised taht takes effort.
  18. Roman_K New Member

It is indeed the JurisFiction one. So far, it's quite good.
  19. TamyraMcG Active Member

I have started Freedom's Ransom by Anne McCaffrey, and Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Wicked is the story of the Wicked Witch of the West, lets just say it isn't easy when you are green. :D I am enjoying it quite a bit, and will be looking for his Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister,as well as Son of a Witch when it comes out in October.
  20. Delphine New Member

I know, it's all well and good being nice and stuff, but soon, being nice will mean "giving people money" and that doesn't give me that warm glow inside...

I think it would have been amusing if he swung the other way, and used his ranks for mischief. He could have freaked out people in lifts all over the world :)
  21. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I bought Confessions while I was in the States, but I completely forgot to read it, and now I'm not sure where it is. Have you seen the Stephen Schwartz musical, 'Wicked', based on the book? It's great!
  22. TamyraMcG Active Member

No I haven't. I'm pretty far out in the sticks and the closest thing to musical theater around here is the Northern Light Opera Company, and they are still doing Gilbert and Sullivan, who knows when they will get around to putting on something like Wicked.
  23. drunkymonkey New Member

I'm reading Wyrd Sisters, my 7th book in the Discworld series (Reaper Man being my first). I love it. Especially the part at the theater with Granny getting annoyed by the people stabbing each other. Reminded me of Blackadder.

By the way, when do Ridcully and the wizard gang come into the series?
  24. Roman_K New Member

It's Moving Pictures, isn't it?
  25. drunkymonkey New Member

Thanks, that's just after Eric then.
    I guess Ridcully and Rincewind meet each other in Interesting Times, or before?
  26. Cynical_Youth New Member

In Interesting Times, I think.
  27. fudgecake New Member

I'm reading Soul Music and I think it's great... it's getting really interesting... Buddy's being very strange... but I'm not too fond of Susan at the moment actually. Everyone who's read the books that I know has told me I'll love Susan and really identify with her, but right now I think she's whiny and doesn't think about things, lol! :roll:

I'm also being forced to read To Kill A Mockingbird before the summer hols are up. That's a surefire way of pumping any interest out of a book - make people read it and analyse pretty much every word until they frankly want to put the book through a shredder. It happened with Jane Eyre, it's happening with To Kill A Mockingbird. Argh. ;)

I also really want to read Animal Farm, but it keeps being taken out at the library. :p
  28. drunkymonkey New Member

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the best books I have ever read, was 'forced' to read it too, but I don't regret it, I probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise. It is such a powerful and at the same time subtle, book.
    Animal Farm is also really quite good too.
  29. fudgecake New Member

Well I hope you're right, lol! I don't really have much opinion on it at the moment... it hasn't got interesting for me at the moment, hoping it'll get good soon! ;) But I'm ploughing through.
  30. Marcia Executive Onion

I'm reading Darwin's Watch, after just having finished the previous 2 Science of Discworld Books. I had to wait till I moved to England to read them because they aren't sold in America :doubt:
  31. sleepy_sarge New Member

Is that just the science books? Wonder if that's a creationist thing in certain areas.

Barnes & Noble in Houston certainly had the full set last time I was over there..
  32. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Ditto!

And Fudgecake, I know just what you mean about Susan!
  33. Marcia Executive Onion

It's the Science of Discworld books, and I lived in New York City, the liberal stronghold of the U.S. (next to San Francisco, I guess) so it wouldn't be a creationist thing. However, the last time I checked, you couldn't get them on Amazon.com. Then again, that was before Darwin's Watch was published. I never even knew they existed till people mentioned them on the Harper Collins site.
  34. Silverfox New Member

I couldn't agree more, this was one of the set books when I did my Eng. Lit. exam and I hated it, bed wetting and fleas, eugh.

At the moment I'm reading King Solomons Ring by Konrad Lorenz, to paraphrase the blurb on the cover it's, A treasury of observations and insights into the lives of various creatures. Also reading Spanish Steps by Tim Moore, he decided to follow the pilgrims trail to Santiago and compounded the error by doing it in the company of a donkey and I've finally got round to reading Darwins Watch.
  35. Dane New Member

Yeeeeessssss I finally finished Angels and Demons last night! After reading tiny amounts of it for about three weeks now I have finally finished it.

So now I'm reading digital fortress :D
  36. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Have you read The Moonshine Mule by Tom Fremantle? He travels from Mexico to Manhattan by foot, with a mule.
  37. Silverfox New Member

No, this is just something I that caught my eye in the book shop whilst I was in there shopping for a present, I'll keep it in mind though. :)
  38. QuothTheRaven New Member

Actually, a recent survay found that the most liberal city in the country was Detroit (followed closely by berkeley). San Francisco came in ninth. NYC wasn't on the top ten.

By the way, i have just started THE SYSTEM OF THE WORLD, the final instalment of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle.
  39. fudgecake New Member

Thank you! Phew, I was starting to think I was the only one... :D
  40. Pepster New Member

The Eisenhorn trilogy (omnibus) by Dan Abnett, quite good sci fi in a war torn future detailing the fall of a inquistor from grace.

Everything you have been told is lies*

Also, symmetry and spectroscopy, colloid and surface chemistry, and various other chemistry texts and journals.

*Plot hook :)
  41. Pepster New Member

I havn't seen darwins watch yet in person, I won't purchase discworld books over the net as I want to be sure of which cover I am getting.

I heartly recomend the books to all who havn't read them.
  42. Hex New Member

I finished re-reading Night Watch this morning, in preparation for Thud! coming out next month. I've decided not to buy the US version (ew! ugly covers!) so my boyfriend is sending me a copy. Though I'm hoping he doesn't get so far into the series he'll keep it for himself. :D

I also read a few manga books I bought yesterday, which was entertaining.
    But I'm also slowly working my way through The Science of Discworld (first one) and a big book of American History.

Unfortunately, both are being stifled by my reading of the Nebraska driver's manual. I'm taking my theory test on Wednesday. Fun...
  43. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I've just started reding 'God of Small Things' it's very poetic.
  44. hermes New Member

I'm rereading "Kafka on the Shore" while also trying to finish "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle." I'm on a bit of a Murakami craze.
  45. Roman_K New Member

Read Jasper Fforde's Lost in a Good Book, The Well of Lost Plots, and Something Rotten over the weekend. Delphine, I was mistaken when I said the second book in the series was the JurisFiction one. It is, in fact, the third. Apologies. The second book is only where JurisFiction make their first appearance.

Anyways, the second in the series was good, the third not all that good, and the last one was very good indeed. I even noticed two Star Wars references that were very well executed in it.

Reading the 2000-01 BOFH articles at the moment, and I'll start reading Shogun soon.
  46. Cynical_Youth New Member

How would you define "liberal" here? I have always been puzzled by the use of the word concerning politics. I just can't see Kerry as a liberal, for instance.
  47. Delphine New Member

om, 'the god of small things' is excellent. i read it for my a levels. it is very poetic... full of crazy mixed metaphors and overstatement and stuff. i re-read it earlier this year, as my english lit teacher told us to wait a few years before reading anything we studied again.

this is a book that i was indifferent about at 17... made me cry at 21. odd.

the last book i read was the da vinci code. it was good, but a little disappointing at the end. very interesting though. i googled some of the paintings. now i really want to go to the louvre.

i bet the paris tourist industry is experiencing a bit of a boom :)
  48. fairyliquid New Member

I think 'to kill a mockingbird' is one of the books i have to read. I also had to read the woman in white which is frustrating because half the class didn't and its an amazing book. It takes a while to get into the language and the style but once i started, I couldn't stop.

At the moment I just finished wyrd sisters and can't decided whether to take a short (one book) break from pratchett and read 'Tis by Frank McCourt, I finished Angela's ashes (the first book) last week, or to read Good Omens and ty some of Pratchetts non-discworld. Or finish the science of disworld...i started it but never got round to finishing it and am only a few chapters into it.

This discusion is making me lean towards the science one though.
  49. ArthurDent New Member

The Dark Tower- Stephen King
  50. Roman_K New Member

I've been planning to read The Dark Tower for ages now. Let me know how it's like, please.

By the way, Arthur, there's an introduction thread around now, and we'd be grateful if you introduced yourself.
  51. Orrdos God

Freakishly, this was also the last book I read.

I thought it was alright, verging on quite good. Nowhere near as good as everyone makes it out to be though :)
  52. QuothTheRaven New Member

The poll I read didn't define what criteria it used to clasify a city as "Liberal", wso i don't kmow.
  53. Hermia New Member

I am currently in the middle of a book called " Small Island" by Andrea Levy, about some Jamaicans who came to live in London and found it less comfortable than they expected.

However, that is not what I am reading. I am reading my way through a large pile of pamphlets given to me by midwives
    over the last four weeks, since Baby Dawn was born!

Now that I have just looked at the Discworld list, and realised there are less books than I thought, I am newly motivated to continue my journey through them, so DW book number 5 (can't remember which it is off the top of my head) is next on my list!
  54. Cynical_Youth New Member

I found out where the confusion stems from after talking to my dad (political science degree). There is right wing liberalism and left wing liberalism. The difference comes from the antithesis that creat... okay okay I'll stop. It's all pretty complicated and although I'd love to discuss it, I'm afraid I'll bore everyone to death. :)
  55. Victimov8 New Member

Currently re-reading Brian Lumley - Psychamok

DaVinci Code was pretty good - I preferred the earlier works though - Digital Fortress & Deception Point.
    Angels & Demons and the DaVinci Code are a little formulaic

Still worth a read though
  56. colonesque10 New Member

I'm reading Feet of Clay at the moment. I've just read Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms. I want to read all the watch books before the new release in October. :)

I am also currently reading the a manual on CX Configurator, all 708 pages of it, the funny really does never end. :)
  57. spiky Bar Wench

SPot the plot flaw, I dare you!

Anyway, currently rereading Night Watch for the same reason as Kenny but with less preparation so leaving not enough time to get to all of the Watch books...

I also have on the burn: The da Vinci Code (I'm slow and taking a while to get into it), a JD Roberts book about infectious computer viruses killing people (trash but you need it) and about 20 academic articles at once... There simply isn't enough time in the day.
  58. Roman_K New Member

Reading Shogun. Good book, good book.

Oh, and nice avatar, Hermia. It's from Baldur's Gate, if I'm not mistaken?
  59. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Copy cat, Roman! Yes, her avatar is from Baldur's Gate, but it also looks just like her. Hermia is the Evil Fairy from our wedding photos, for those who don't know.
  60. timmmmm New Member

I just finished "The Algebraist" by Iain M. Banks
    It was quite good.

Now I am reading a book by Jack Kornfield, "After the ectasy, the laundry", its about dealing with everday life after reaching enlightenment. I promised my wife I would read it. so far its okay.