What music are you currently listening to?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by sleepy_sarge, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Andalusian New Member

OMG! New Placebo single!

Its rather excellent, too.
  2. Hex New Member

Placebo are unknown here. This makes me want to weep profusely.

I must download this single henceforth and spread word of their music-y goodness!
  3. Plugger New Member

i am very happy a few days ago itunes disappeared off my pc but now its back...pesky magic at work here so im celebrating by listening to misery by green day muwahahahaha
  4. Hermia New Member

Kaptenkaries, I found that stuff about Swedish folk music very interesting, thanks! But then I am a student of European folk music, so I guess I would.

The soundtrack to my life at the moment is GTA San Andreas, but this is not by choice. This is Saturday morning with a man in the house.
  5. Victimov8 New Member

I ain't laughing... It is a pretty good album
    I think I've got it on my MP3 player, among the other stuff.

At the moment I've gone a bit retro though - 80's American rock band Love/Hate until about ten minutes ago, currently an old British rock band - Budgie, the album that I have on now is a year younger than I am.
    If anyone likes Metallica, there are a couple of covers by them ('Breadfan" and "Crash Course in Brain Surgery")

Slightly eclectic alternatives elsewhere...
  6. Electric_Man Templar

Two new songs that have recently come out have caught my ear,

Start Wearing Purple by Gogol Bordello - which can only be described as Gypsy Punk (heard it once on the radio, then CJ via Toaf dragged it kicking and screaming to my attention)
    [/list]
    This is a wicked song! It's on the 'Everything is Illuminated' soundtrack!
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

In a frantic attempt to calm my chronic stress, I have bought myself 2 Jack Johnson albums. They're just sweet, unpretentious, simple and fun, and I hate that guy :D To be able to just walk on stage with a simple guitar and produce something that good takes real talent. Grrrr...

Corinne Bailey Rae will probably be the next one I buy an album of, same sweet relaxed style... I need a holiday.
  8. KaptenKaries New Member

Currently listening to myself playing guitar. Yesterday I made my first attempt at playing a guitar solo. I am not a guitarist. But I recorded the attempt. I learnt one valuable lesson. Bending strings hurts your fingertips like hell the day after.
  9. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Ooops! I think I pushed the edit botton instead of the quote!

First mis-sweep goes to me!

Sorry Ben.
  10. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Heh, it's Gypsy-Ukrainian folk-SKA. :) The guys are Ukrainians. :)

I'm listening to the Stones, "Sympathy for the devil", "Arctic monkeys", all three albums of "Love" I brought from London and some Russian rock. :)
  11. Electric_Man Templar

And no-one would've predicted it would be you :roll:

No worries Rinso, I accept it was a mistake and you ARE retarded.

But weirdly, there's no note on my post saying it's been edited... do edit notes run from Rinso's smell too?

Anyway, what was deleted was praise for the song Crazy by Gniles Barclay, which I've been hearing on the radio a lot and liking it, despite it being in a genre I normally loathe.
  12. Delphine New Member

Start Wearing Purple is fantastic. Chris alerted me to it, thinking I would like it, which i did. It's music you dream about for loud happy drunken jewish wedding dancing.

It's Jo Whiley's record of the week on Radio One, so I think we'll be hearing a lot more of them in the future. Go Gogol!
  13. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Possibly becuase I 'edited' just after you posted. In the same way If you're quick enough in editing your own post there is no note.
  14. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It's great, super crazy. The type of song that just makes you happy when listening to it. It's a premium song! (Everything is Illuminated is a wicked movie too!)
  15. poons New Member

I haven't listened to much music for years, I used to love Led Zeppelin, I liked REM upto and including Green.
    I re-listened to Van Morrison's Astral Weeks lately and I reckon he must have been possesed by some some amazing spirit when he wrote/performed it, it is bliss. Everyone must listen to it!
  16. Orrdos God

I have mostly been listening to the new placebo album. Which I most certainly did not obtain through illegal means, a month before its release.

Ohhh no.
  17. Cynical_Youth New Member

Tool - Lateralus

Best Hard Rock/Metal album of the last decade. Inspired, well-crafted, innovative. Can't wait for their new album.
  18. Andalusian New Member

From Triple J's Full Metal Racket with Andrew Haug:

"Now something that people might think I've held out, but I may as well drop the bombshell now, I was priveliged enough to hear the brand new Tool album yesterday in its entirety. It is titled '10,000 Days' and will be released on the 6th May. And the members were present during the listening session, of course Justin Chancellor, Danny Carey and Maynard James Keenan are currently in Australia promoting the album... and what can I say about the brand new album?

Well some may have had the privelige go to a few listening parties, and yes they are priveliges, but after a couple of songs you get a little distracted and start talking to people because I really find it difficult to sort of take in an album, regardless of what it is, the very first time, when you're sort of sitting there amongst people and they're all staring at the floor, like you're at a funeral and at the end of a song its sort of obligated, you have to clap. But I tell you, the opening cut for the new Tool album just smacked me in the head, and it certainly is far more agressive than what you heard on the Lateralus album. The band have actually said they've been listening quite heavily to Meshuggah which they've taken out on tour several times over the last couple of years.

And throughout the rest of the album, there certainly are very lengthy Tool tracks, they're definitely known for those progressive soundscapes and Danny Carey as always is truly on fire with some amazing drumming. And there's a couple of interesting vocal ideas too, put in there by Maynard James Keenan. This is a very brief assumtion on the album, so I'm looking forward to hearing it properly when it does come out, so May 6th is the release date for the new Tool album called '10,000 Days'.

But expect nothing short of a monstrous production, not exactly sure who produced this new album, I don't think they used Dave Botterel, I think his surname is, on this one. But its certainly raised the bar in the production stakes for the band even though we've always known their last few albums to have very very polished production. Expect the same on the new one, but expect a lot more heavier tunes as well, so thats a mini-mini brief wrap-up of the new Tool album. Not a lot to give, cos like I said, its very distracting to listen to albums in those environments, I just cannot wait to get a hold of the album when it comes out like everybody else, cos I don't think there will be any advance copies going out.

And what I noticed too, that when the band turned up, actually right at the very end of the album, Maynard James Keenan, white shirt and jeans and a cowboy hat, kid you not, walked over to the dj booth and there was only a good 20 or 30 people there in this venue, walked over to the dj booth as the last song finished, ejected the cd himself, put it in the cover and put it in his pocket. So there you go, the band are personally delivering this album themselves and taking it back themselves. Because of internet leakage which happens in albums like this, especially with the anticipation behind an album like Tool, which has been 5 years in the making still, since Lateralus' 2001 release.

So there you go, look out for the new Tool album May 6th and ask me what I'm going to think of it around that time when I've really abosorbed it, as well as yourself, I'm always curious as to what people think of certain releasing that are coming out as well... etc etc"

In case you didn't get it... May 6th - 10,000 Days! :D
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

Haha, Tool... I actually have a very funny first-hand anecdote about the cover of their album that was designed by Joshua Davis... but he said if I ever told anyone he would come and break my kneecaps, so I guess I can't... pity... :D
  20. Hermia New Member

That's just mean.

Loving Madonna at the moment! She always helps me do the washing up! I love a good session hip-wiggling around the kitchen with rubber gloves on, singing pop diva songs at the top of my voice, then trying to look serious very quickly when the next-door-neighbour catches my eye. Kind of like musical statues, but with foam.
  21. Perdita New Member

LOL :D

That's pretty much like me and the tap dancing in the lift thing.

Door's (not THE Door's) ping open and I left standing with slightly askew feet....
  22. Hermia New Member

Haha!

Door's what? ;)

That's left a funny image in my head now.
  23. Cynical_Youth New Member

Thanks, Andalusian. :)

*marks the 6th of May on the calendar*

And that is indeed mean.
  24. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ok, ok, it WAS mean... so I'll tell anyone who asks me by pm, just promise me never to tell Joshua or any of the members of Tool :D
  25. Hermia New Member

But now you've said that, if he ever googles himself, it's going to lead straight to you saying that and you'll be in BIG trouble!! :shock:
  26. Victimov8 New Member

Is that legal?
  27. Hermia New Member

It depends where you are. I expect in some states of America it's probably illegal unless you're mother-in-law is watching and your father is Scottish.

In the UK, however, it is perfectly legal but may make you go blind. Unless you sit with the monitor at arm's length. (Yes, the monitor. What did you think I was talking about??)
  28. Victimov8 New Member

I've googled myself, I don't exist with my proper name, but I seem to be the only one with my pseudonym!
    Go Me! :cooler:
  29. Hsing Moderator

I exist only one more times, and only without my second name, as an amateur guitar player and left winged political activist living in California.*

(Which almost leads the thread back on its original path. :) )

*No one shares my second name, except for some minor Japanese manga char, it seems.
  30. Electric_Man Templar

When I google my full name, I find many results. One of which is an ice-hockey player for some minor league - not very interesting you might think - but his brother plays for the same team and shares the same name as my brother.
  31. Hsing Moderator

This calls for a thread of its own.
    The next person wanting to google their name - feel free? :)
  32. Cynical_Youth New Member

Yay! :)
  33. Delphine New Member

I just bought the Gogol Bordello album! It rocks! :)
  34. Victimov8 New Member

That it does!
  35. Dane New Member

Just downloaded the bell orchestre's new album, recording a tape the colour of the light. It's orchestrial post rock and i love it. I'll write a little more about it some time soon.
  36. The_Poker New Member

Oh good, I was hoping there'd be a music thread around here. ;) I love my music almost as much as I love my Discworld. I'm always listening to music, but the albums currently topping my playlists more than any other would be:

Radiohead - Kid A (don't think it could ever be knocked from the top)
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
    Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Roger Waters - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
    Wolf Parade - Apologies To The Queen Mary
    Modest Mouse - The Moon And Antarctica

A little off-topic, but to any Pink Floyd fans who might be around, didn't Imp y Celyn remind you a little of Syd Barrett? Yes, I know he's more Buddy Holly, a bit of Elvis, and even some John Lennon...but the descriptions of him staring off into space, doing mind-bending things with that guitar, talking about things that no-one else could really understand, not hearing people when they were talking to him, and his whole little decline in general, reminded me very much of ol' Syd. In fact, whenever I read Soul Music, I picture Syd in my mind.
  37. Andalusian New Member

Ooh, another Floyd fan. Excellent!

I want Dave Gilmour's new solo album. Its supposed to be suprisingly good.
  38. The_Poker New Member

Cheers! :cooler:

I've got the album...and I'm a little torn on it. You'll like it if you're a big David Gilmour fan. As for me, I'm more partial to Roger Waters and his more aggressive take on things. Polly Samson wrote 90% of the lyrics on Dave's latest and I really, [i:c1cccf0bc8]really[/i:c1cccf0bc8] don't like her style. Too light and fluffy. You'd think, me being female, I'd go for that sort of thing. But she's what ruined The Division Bell for me. Music's great, though. Castellorizon, On An Island, This Heaven and A Pocketful Of Stones are very good tracks. Plus, there's the added bonus of having Rick Wright singing on The Blue!
  39. Andalusian New Member

Hmm... I didn't mind The Division Bell, but I thought it was a little weak musically as well.

But still... if the music on this new one is good and Rick Wright sings... I'll give it a try. I much prefer Dave's voice over Rodger's anyway, even if his lyrics aren't up to scratch.
  40. KaptenKaries New Member

Animals, good choice. This album gets far too little appreciation. I'd say Amused to Death is far better than Pros and Cons though.

I too prefer Waters' songwriting to Gilmour's. Anyone heard Ca Ira?
  41. DeWorde New Member

Currently shaking the walls of my humble abode are the following:
    THIN LIZZY:Live At The Reading Festival.The last time Lizzy ever played on a live stage in 85' before Phil Lynotts untimely demise.A fantastic swansong for a terrific band and the poigniancy of last track 'Still In Love With You' still leaves its mark,particularly when Phil sings the line 'Is This The End'?' and the whole crowd,seemingly as one man,roar back at him 'NO!' Still brings a lump to my throat when I hear it :cry:
    JUDAS PRIEST:Angel Of Retribution.THE PRIEST IS BACK!!!!!For those of you like me who still love that proverbial musical pariahs dog,Heavy Metal, the Priest's album from last year with Rob Halford back at the mike is still an awesome testimony to the glory of metal.Save the last track,Loch Ness,where the band do go a little too Spinal Tap on me for my liking! :)
    EXODUS:Tempo Of The Damned.For all you old school FRASHHH warlords out there this is the album Metallica should have come back with instead of the pox that is St. Anger.Chug!Chug!Chug! :)
    ACDC:Back In Black.Nothing more be said.... :D
    May you all find your own 'Pathway To Paradise' :)
  42. Roman_K New Member

Not big issues, DeWorde, but less smilies and more apparent paragraphing make a post all the more readable. Thanks in advance.

Currently listening to various Blind Guardian and Demons & Wizards songs. Good music.
  43. The_Poker New Member

Animals does get far too little appreciation. It has been one thing I've never been able to understand. I personally feel there isn't a weak song on the album. Not even both parts of Pigs On The Wing, which people are inclined to pass off as a snooze. I often consider Animals to be my favourite Floyd album.

I've yet to hear Ça Ira. It's slightly on the pricy side where I live. But I'm very interested to hear Waters' take on classical music! That shows versatility, that does. An avant garde/prog rocker writing a real opera, not just rock opera! I've got all his other solo stuff though, and I agree re: Amused To Death. I'm just on a Pros and Cons kick at the moment. ;) Personally, I think that Amused To Death is near flawless, as far as solo albums go. I'd obviously take a Floyd album over it, but it's bloody good otherwise.

The only solo work of Roger's that I've always been less than thrilled about has been Radio KAOS. Bad 80s synth + Roger Waters = a very unhappy Poker.
  44. KaptenKaries New Member

As I sit in a landscape office, and I am the one in control of The Speakers here, I'm playing Dark Side of the Moon for my colleagues, who for some reason seems to be a bit touchy about prog. I always have to remember to crank down the volume at the end of Breathe and quietly skip through the bells at the start of Time. If I forget this, I'm forced to change music and will miss the rest of the album.
  45. The_Poker New Member

Forgive me for making a gross assumption on your colleagues based on the fact that they cannot appreciate the bells that kick off Time, but...MUSICALLY OBTUSE TWATS! Ha, I have to go through similar pains when it comes to other people and Pink Floyd. Their loss, that's what I always say.
  46. Katcal I Aten't French !

now now dear Poker, people are entitled to disagree... even when they are very clearly wrong, that's called freedom to be an idiot and tell everyone about it. I have heard that this is the first article of the bill of human rights, but I'll have to check on that...
    Now, if you want to call someone names for being musically idiottic, I can get you the name and number of an ex-collegue of my husband who swore that Hip-hop was the ONLY real music, and that all the rest was "awful noise, sounds like a 5 year-old banging on his mums cooking pots" (referring to Queen or Pink Floyd if I remember rightly), and that all bands who do rock or pop of any kind are "a load of faggots who sing with their a-holes". THAT is what I call behaviour worthy of name-calling ;)
  47. Cynical_Youth New Member

I have been introduced to Floyd quite recently and actually found Animals one of the more accessible albums. Also, Pigs on the Wing part 1 & 2 are my favourite songs off it.
  48. The_Poker New Member

Oh dear. ;) I was only joking with the twat thing. I need to use these emoticons more often. (But not too often! Yikes, page number seven.) So yes, I know that the personal taste of others always has to come into consideration when discussing music. However, hmm, tasteless I personally find it. ;)

And wow, that certainly is behaviour worthy of name-calling. I've always struggled with the point of view that many hip hop fans take regarding music with ro - uh, rock music. But then again, I suppose they struggle with ours. For instance, I'll see that ex-colleague's "awful noise" and raise him/her a "rhythmically redundant drivel accented with primal grunting!"
  49. Katcal I Aten't French !

no need for more ;) ;) they only end up making your face twitch if ou overdo them... I was of course joking back ;)
  50. Sir_Gawain New Member

I just found David Bowie's album Eart hl i ng. It's not as good as Scary Monsters, but I like it.
  51. The_Poker New Member

;) ;) ;)

Before I get sucked into a winking contest, being an almost lifelong fan of the band, it's always good to hear about people being newly introduced to the Pink Floyd! Cynical_Youth, which albums have you been exposed to thusfar?
  52. Andalusian New Member

I'm currently listening to the following albums:

The Vines - Vision Valley, good to see them back and still churning out 2 minute garage rockers

Faker - Addicted Romantic, very dark rock from a good Australian band

Redgum - Caught In The Act, great live album from Australia's greatest band

Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See, fuzzy lo-fi pyschadelic rock

Tori Amos - Under The Pink, great singer and great album
  53. KaptenKaries New Member

Frank Zappa's Make A Jazz Noise Here is playing in my headphones at the moment. I especially enjoy Sinister Footwear (2nd movement) and Strictly Genteel. Live album recorded in 1988.
  54. Perdita New Member

I am currently listening to Beck and Radiohead because I bought tickets to go and see them in Dublin in the Summer.

I think in a vague kind of way recently I've been trying to re- kindle my music tastes of a 14 to 20 year old me!

RecentlyI've been listening to (in no particular order) The Smiths, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Primal Scream, The Black Crowes, The Ramones,Super Furry Animals, The Kinks, Small Faces, The Monkeys,Ocean Colour Scene, The Rolling Stones, and Jeff Buckley and believe it or not I'm actually thinking about buying a Del Amitri (Sp?)CD that my friend had when we were in college back in the day... she used to have it on all the time..
  55. Cynical_Youth New Member

Somehow missed this, sorry. I have listened to Dark Side of the Moon, Animals and The Wall. The Dark Side of the Moon is an interesting listen. Not always sure what they're trying to say with some of the more conceptual pieces, but an intriguing album nonetheless. I really like Animals, but I am not that enthusiastic about The Wall.

As for other music, I've mostly been staying away from the heavier music recently. Sufjan Stevens, Switchfoot and Eisley dominate my playlists. Occasional touches of rock come in the form of Grinspoon and 10 Years.
  56. Nester New Member

A while ago I discovered an artist named Jackie Greene. He does an amalgamation of blues/rock/folk/Americana/bluegrass/ and a bit of everything else. He's only 22 years old or so, but he writes all his own songs, does the vocals, and plays every single instrument expertly. I watched a clip of one of his live shows and was just blown away by the skill. He's been called the inheritor to Bob Dylan a lot. I don't know about that, but he's probably now my favorite artist.

My roommate has also got me addicted to the Eels. They're really...weird. I really have trouble describing them. Sort of quirky rock/blues/punk/wierdness. My favorite songs include "Mr. E's Beautiful Blues" "Trouble With Dreams" "Novacaine for the Soul" "Last Stop: This Town"
  57. Perdita New Member

I remember the Eels! THey've been about for a while.. I like the song 'Susan's House'
  58. Watchman New Member

I usually start each working day by listening to the Boo Radleys - Wake up it's a Beautiful Morning followed by Proclaimers - 500 Miles, ELO - Mr Blue Skies and then Bill Withers - Lovely Day. Sets me in a good mood for the rest of the day :)
  59. Electric_Man Templar

The Zutons new album is next on my 'to buy' list. They have been dubbed by one critic as "post-modernist pseudo-jazz alternative pop indie rock", I just think they're great.
  60. Katcal I Aten't French !

They sound good to me... that is as far as the chorus from their latest song sounds from inside my head where it has been stuck for the last 5 hours. Poor thing.