What are the best places to visit on my Holidays?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by randywine, Aug 10, 2006.

1. randywine Member

My better half and myself are jumping in our car and going to tour England for about 14 days, from the 3rd of september, with the intention of traveling to Hertford (to have dinner with an old university friend) in the first week going down the east coast and then traveling via Wales (maybe) and the west coast back to the (Bonnie) mountains of the land of my birth.
    I would be most appreciative if anyone could suggest decent places to visit and / or stay - with keeping in mind that Mrs Randywine is disabled and can't walk very far, we don't drink much and we both love animal parks and the like.

All suggestions will be gratefully considered. :)

Thanks.

R.
  2. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Go to Mansfield.
  3. randywine Member

Addendum to my first post - If anyone makes a suggestion, could they let me know why.

Cheers

R.
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

If you love animal parks and get as far as Kent, I heartily recommend both Howletts Wild Animal Park and its sister park, Port Lympne (pronounced Port Lim). Both are run by the John Aspinall Foundation, which breeds rare and endangered animals in settings as close to their natural environment as can be achieved, with a program of return to the wild. In both cases, the house and grounds are worth a look as well as the animals. I hope to visit them again as soon as we can afford to!

Edited to fix coding.
  5. Ba Lord of the Pies

Hell is nice this time of year. Especially if Randywine likes wailing and gnashing of teeth.
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

Bath is an interesting place*, if your going down past South Wales, and in Wales (not too far in) is Caerleon.

A couple of places I like in the South West (my country) are Avebury (much more fun than Stonehenge and free to visit) and Marlborough and the fabulous Polly Tea Rooms, that make scones I would personally kill for. There is a white horse on one of the hills nearby, the most famous one being the Uffington white horse (it's worth going up there even just for the view) which is incidentally the horse that Tiffany Aching's pendant was inspired by.

I've been longing to go on a real tour of England for ages, does it show ? :D

*I was born there, but don't let that put you off :D
  7. randywine Member

The Randywines thank you all kindly for the suggestions, we shall try to visit all of these places...
    Katcal — I have been in bath for a wedding at the bath spa hotel (ulp...Pricy :shock: ) but never actually visited the town, and we do like a nice scone (or three).
    Buzzfloyd — The animal parks in Kent sound like the exact thing we like so we'll be there!.

Ba - Hell is nice (for a given value of nice of course) but developing the photographs drive the staff at Boots Insane :evil: (and Randywine gets more than his fair share of the wail and the gnash of the teeth on a Monday* at work ;) )

Keep the ideas coming... :D

R.

*and Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday etc...

Edit - adding the 'g' to 'nash'
  8. Victimov8 New Member

[quote:454cae26c2="OmKranti"]Go to Mansfield.[/quote:454cae26c2]
    [quote:454cae26c2="Ba"]Hell is nice this time of year. Especially if Randywine likes wailing and gnashing of teeth.[/quote:454cae26c2]

Sounds like some redundancy here...