Water Rockets

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by colonesque10, Sep 1, 2005.

1. colonesque10 New Member

If anyone watched Brainiac on sky the other week they'll know what i'm on about.

The general principle is to fill a bottle (500ml coke bottle) a third of the way up with water and push and compress air into it or, like us, use compressed air to shoot the rocket high into the air. The air acts as the propulsion while the water is the fuel. So the more water you put in the longer it would go for but not as quickly, kind of thing.

We built a launch pad using a quick realease pressure valve to release the bottle from the seal when it reached 5 bar of pressure.I believe these bottles are tested to 12 bar so it was safe, hopefully. We also taped fins onto the bottle and mad a cone nose for it. The results were fantastic, the bottle flew way way up in the air.

We got greedy then didn't we. We did it with a 2 litre bottle which went even higher and then we used a 3 litre cider bottle which didn't go quite so high but did vear out of control and nearly knock over a cooling tower. On my next set of nights were going too try it with one of those 5 gallon drinking water dispensor bottles, should be cool. Although it does mean major modifications to the sealing and release mechanisms.

Has anyone else tried doind little experiments they've seen on TV? 8)

Edit: Spelling :)
  2. Garner Great God and Founding Father

when i was a kid i just bought the little plastic toy... they're red...

they land on the roof of your house and get stuck in the gutter.
  3. colonesque10 New Member

Pfft. When I was a kid we couldn't afford toys so I haad to think of things to build that I could play with, like beetle guards and tampon trucks, ah the memories. Thats why I became an engineer and decided to build a super robot that would kill all 'rich' families that could afford toys and suchlike. Beware Clay, be very aware. :)
  4. mowgli New Member

...tampon trucks?...
  5. Tephlon Active Member

I always wanted one of those waterpowered rockets... Unfortunately I lived in a residential area.
    I don't think my neighbours on the 11th floor would have been very happy with the waterbottle rocket coming through the window. :evil:
  6. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Kenny's a scouser, so he doesn't care about the neighbours.

It sounds really cool, Kenny! I'm sure I must ahve made something I saw on TV at some point, but I can't think of anything.
  7. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Ah, the Wealthinator.
  8. Pepster New Member

Nah, but I have done some cool ones for my degree, these include;

Injecting cockroaches with bacteria
    Froth flotation
    Making various drugs
    Working with colloidal gold
    Making a complex that is essentially the shape of a three legged stool
    Proving that roof water from a site has human feces in it (I think the sample was doctored)
    Making detonators
  9. hermes New Member

Unless they get stuck in your neighbor's gutter :?