Things learned today...

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by mazekin, Dec 31, 2007.

1. randywine Member

not the cookbook surely?
  2. mazekin Member

Cornflakes...same difference really:smile:
  3. monster New Member

Today I learnt:

• If your friend passes out on the sofa and you put his hand in ice cold water, then he will actually wet himself.
    • Studid people are inexorable and unavoidable.
    • I am not the saddest person alive and other people do play MMO's on Christmas day.
    Happy new year
  4. Tephlon Active Member

Learned today: Glow in the dark stuff doesn't glow in the dark after you shine a laser light on it. But glows really well (as in visible during the day) if you use a led light.

In other news, I now own a retractable laser + led pen with a rare-earth magnet at one end to pick stuff up with.
  5. Pixel New Member

Back again

The main thing I learned today (or actually yesterday) was that if you turn your back for a while, everything changes - it took me two hours yeserday to work out how to give my avatar his Christmas costume.
    I have been absent for a while mainly due to a bad fall which has had me in and out of hospital on a fairly regular basis - but I hope now that I have things (like my legs!) under control, so should be back at the computer on a regular basis.
  6. mazekin Member

Eeep - Pixel, glad you have your legs back under control. Hope you feel better soon!

-----

Learned, and re-learned: Little girls who try to steal you chocolate at christmas last year, will still try the same tricks this year. Only this time I was ready for her...and she still doesn't like me.:D Oh darn, I'm so upset...

Learned by my aunt: When a 2 year old is given the option of playing with a) a large ride-on tractor that cost a fortune to buy, or b) a small tractor that cost 2 euro and can be carried about in the hand, said 2 year old will go for the small tractor and think that my father is a genius for pointing out that the box it came in makes a great garage.

Little girls that are given a very, very large toy car & horsebox, along with horse to go into horsebox, will inevitably only want to play with her little brother's new ride-on tractor when he finally wants to play with it. And get pushed off into the mud in her princess dress. Heh heh heh.

Children + Chocolate + drool = keep the hell away from me until I've found a tissue or something to wipe the entire mess away from your face, dear god, why did your mother let you eat that...

Time between father returning from mass and seeing brother to first argument of Christmas day, 1.5 minutes. (he slept in, missed mass, was watching American Chopper and that led to the inevitable 'turn that sh*t off' argument.)

Turkeys cooked in Turkey Bags cook a lot faster than without. (more learned by my mother than by me, but I learned that Christmas dinner tastes just fine when it's just Ham instead of Turkey and Ham.)

Time between mother and sister arguing, 2.5 hours. A world record.

God, I love Christmas. It's so much fun when none of the drama involves me. And I can run back to my own house for a quiet post-dinner nap.
  7. Pixel New Member

What I learned (actually two days ago) is "DO IT NOW". My apartment is very strangely wired but the landlord (or at least his son, who seems to be taking over the business) keeps asking for money to do repairs (which are actually his responsibility), which even when I pay, he never gets done (he is convinced that the betting shop on the ground floor is run by the Mafia and he is terrified of them - maybe I should try and get them on my side!) - so the wiring is coming out of one circuit and involves a lot of extension cables and multiple socket units. Don't even ask why I don't move - it could get very expensive (I have lived here 8 years and there have been no rent increases in that time - Belgian standard is one increase every three years), I have a lot of stuff to move, and even with my mobility problems, such as walking with a stick but having to handle the number of stairs both leading to my apartment and within it, I like the place - it is also very convenient for transport.

But I seem to have deviated from my original point. Two days ago I accidentally spilled water into one of the multiple socket units - this immediately tripped the diffo jump (for the non-technical amongst us, it is a form of circuit-breaker) and my first reaction was to go to bed and let things dry out, as it was already dark. Then I was lying in bed some while later (it gets dark early here, for those who live in more tropical regions) and I thought "Why am I lying in bed at 7 o'clock at night when I am an amateur theatre techician (admittedly retired) just because of a power problem? If I can't fix this, I obviously retired at the right time". By rounding up all my spare extension cables and extended socket blocks, I had my full power restored (by torchlight) in less than 45 minutes - and that includes trips down to the cellar where the circuit breakers are installed. The only problem now is that the computer was running at the time, recording from the BBC on the tuner card I have installed, and the abrupt cut-off has messed up the settings, and I cannot find the installation CD! So that's tomorrow's job!

Anyway - that's what I learned recently - don't put it off - do it now.
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

Learned today: No matter how fake and hollywood-esque Extreme Makeover is, and how much I despise that kind of thing, I well up and cry every single time. Therefore, I should really stop watching the damn thing. Dammit.
  9. mazekin Member

Do not procrastinate when it comes to buying home heating oil, or you will end up with no heat the one night the temperature is due to drop to -7 Centegrade...
  10. mazekin Member

January is Boooring!
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

Pah, if only!
  12. mazekin Member

Do not,I repeat, Do Not try to cut a section from a pepper while holding it in your hand. And don't do it with a serrated blade either. And don't forget where your thumb is behind the pepper. And remember where you keep the plasters.

I am an idiot.

Cuts on thumbs take a long time to stop bleeding.
  13. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Inna doesn't read bumped old game threads. ;)
  14. mowgli New Member

... mreow? (confused)
  15. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

16. mowgli New Member

HAH! I've READ it! And I REPLIED!
  17. redneck New Member

I'm going to have another niece. Learned that today.
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Cool! Congrats, Nate. :)
  19. mowgli New Member

Yay, nuncle Nate!
  20. redneck New Member

I jumped the gun. Since I have six nieces already, I just assumed that this upcoming one would be too. I'll find out if it's a boy or a girl in a couple of months, so as of now I'll just be an uncle again.
  21. Gypsy New Member

When a student pesters you about your personal life, DO NOT give in. This will only open you up for more trouble. It gives them ammunition.

I used to have students pointing to my tummy and saying 'Sensei, baby?' because I am not Japanese sized and therefore MUST be pregnant (tears hair out), I finally managed to point out that it was an inappropriate gesture, and could they plese Not Do It Again. Ever.

Now i'm being asked questions using 'play', 'sex' and 'on the bed' in various combinations.
    I may be bald by the end of the month if this continues.
  22. redneck New Member

I had some students pester me about if I was dating, who I was dating, and so on. I wouldn't answer a single question they asked me, so when they asked me if I was gay, I just looked at the student in question and told her that this had nothing to do with the lesson. So now there are probably thirty kids in town that think I'm some gay guy, but that doesn't really bother me that much. I know differently and don't really care what these junior high kids think.
  23. Gypsy New Member

Copy the 200 odd words you write in your blog BEFORE clicking save...or you will lose them when the server goes down. Bugger!
  24. mazekin Member

Changing a tire on your car is easier than getting at the spare.

Fathers are wonderful and will come and try help to change a tire at 10 o'clock at night.

My neighbour Kevin is a dote and will come and actually change the tire even though you didn't ask him to in the first place. All praise to Kevin!
  25. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

'Dote' is a noun in Ireland.
  26. Katcal I Aten't French !

Apparently so...

I learned, on several occasions this weekend, that I am freakishly efficient when I am really tired. As if feeling like shite made me act in a more energy-efficient way and get stuff done.

Also, I learned that Satnavs that are quite capable of not knowing that a massive great motorway exists, are also able to take you down a tiny dirt track as if it was a regular road, including displaying a speed limit of 80 kph although you are picking your way between sheep and pot-holes at a laborious 5kph tops... That said, I am very grateful to it, because driving along that road through the middle of Nowhere, Connemara, was just the most amazing thing ever, and we probably wouldn't have stumbled across that road without it.
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh, also learned this weekend: Sheeps is stoopid.
  28. mazekin Member

Only Connemara Sheeps. Kerry Sheeps are fiendishly intelligent and can get into a closed tent. Rather unsurprisingly, Kerry Sheeps cannot, however get out of a closed tent.*

*Thing learned while in Scouts.
  29. mowgli New Member

30. Katcal I Aten't French !

I wouldn't even have added the "before bedtime" to that sentence...
  31. mazekin Member

Remember that when you acted like a lunatic the night before and went outside at midnight to marvel at the weather with your neighbour, it was snowing. That means that frozen rain has fallen during the night. That means when you step outside of your front door the next morning, the path might be slippery and you just might fall on your backside.

My hip hurts. :sad:...and there really should be a sulking smilie.
  32. Katcal I Aten't French !

If Bob had hips, he would be sulking I'm sure... Bad luck maze, hope your hip is better soon.
  33. mazekin Member

Thanks Kat - some day I will get some sense. Not today, though.

The final episode of Series 1 of JAG is part 1 of a 2 parter with a cliffhanger ending...and no part 2. Someone must die.
  34. Gypsy New Member

Falling asleep sitting on the floor at your laptop with the lights ON is not condusive to having a good nights rest (or a comfortable bottom)...
  35. mazekin Member

Do not trust movie blurbs. I won't do a spoiler, but Watchmen was not what I was expecting or hoping it to be...
  36. Pepster New Member

I no longer have motivation to do work at home, this may not be a problem though.
  37. Katcal I Aten't French !

Although it may seem tempting by convenience, eating the food served up at the staff canteen is a dangerous move for your health. I have been off it for at least 2 months now, if not more, and out of laziness I decided to give it a chance. Never again. I feel sick.
  38. Pepster New Member

I've learned that you should only eat potato products from the main uni canteen thingy. So my advise is to stick to chips and wedges only.
  39. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep, that's kind of what I had figured out already, chips and wedges (and the infamous potato cubes) are the only thing I will now willingly consume from Downstairs.
  40. Ba Lord of the Pies

They do some fine unspeakable culinary acts in those university cafeterias.
  41. mazekin Member

Rose bushes fight back when provoked.
  42. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

A five-minute nap easily turns into a three-hour sleep.
  43. Katcal I Aten't French !

Plumbing is not quite as hard as it may seem.

A twisted evacuation pipe on a washing machine is the source of the foulest stench on this earth.

Never ask a B&Q salesman for anything or he will drag you to the garden hose section to look for washing machine connectors that, surprisingly, are not there.
  44. mazekin Member

Hen nights (aka bachelorette parties; aka an excuse for leaving the local area, dressing the bride to be up in a ridiculous outfit and wearing zogabongs while parading around looking like fools) are exhausting. And not as excruciating as I had thought it was going to be. Thank god none of her friends are crazy crazy drinkers.

Killarney didn't know what hit it. They're not drinkers, but still completely nuts!

Neither did the guy who called me ugly:mad: outside the nightclub last night. I didn't punch him, but I did slap him. His mates thanked me and bought me a coke as thanks. Turned out they were trying to ditch him all night. Hmmm, I wonder why?

Being the sober one sometimes sucks.
  45. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hang on... I thought youse was Oyrish... My bad. :D
  46. mazekin Member

Oyrish diabetic with high blood pressure thank you very much! Meh, some of the meds I'm on don't like alcohol too much and if I've been having a bad patch I tend to steer clear. I've been yo-yo-ing between good and bad the past couple of weeks...ok, since Christmas if truth is to be told, so I thought I'd be better off being a good little Mazekin and staying concious for the entire night rather than ending up in A&E and ruining everyone's night:smile:

Sucks to be me :sad::lol:
  47. Gypsy New Member

Never try to drink your bodyweight in alcohol.
  48. chatnthat New Member

things i've learnt today are...

i always believed that my boss didn't do a great deal while he was in the office, however, his absence today has proved that he does. it would appear that without him here, i tend to do very little work! hehe :lol:
  49. mowgli New Member

Gaaaa, chatnthat, your avatar looks PAINFUL!!!
  50. chatnthat New Member

Hi Mowgli!

Yes, I think you're right, but you know what they say 'no pain, no gain' and i'm rather into that kind of thing, although i'm am often told i'm a little strange - i like to think of it being one of my charms! :lol:
  51. mowgli New Member

Things learned today: Chatnthat is into painful body modification! :smile:
  52. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Getting signed off work is brilliant!
  53. mazekin Member

Filling a skip is not fun

Some people are a**holes and will throw things in a skip that is not theirs in broad daylight without asking.

Climbing in and out of skips is not fun.
  54. redneck New Member

Is wondering what, exactly, a skip is.
  55. Ba Lord of the Pies

The captain of a curling team, obviously.
  56. TamyraMcG Active Member

Ahh, I'm thinking this skip is more like a dumpster rented for a big clean up/demolition job. I could probably use one soon.
  57. mazekin Member

Ding Ding Ding! And the winner is; Tamyra!

Congratulations, Tamyra, your prize is on its way to you as we speak.:D

Yes ladies and gents, a Skip is a dumpster.

[IMG] *Not a picture of actual skip - ours was piled much higher...:D
  58. mowgli New Member

Today I learned that I might actually grow to like capers.

Still wondering - just how HUNGRY one has to be in order to spot some unopened flower buds (!!!) on a nearby bush and think "You know what... those just may taste pretty good if pickled with enough salt and vinegar! Yeah - let's add them to my things-to-eat-during-the-starving-winter-months pantry collection!"
  59. TamyraMcG Active Member

There are lots of foods that make me wonder what the discoverer was thinking when they first tried them, like cheese, or milk for that matter. Pickled anything is a stretch for me too, and then there is lutefisk.... I'm still not Norwegian enough to try that again.

I can't wait for my prize! :D
  60. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I am cheerful, having managed to sleep despite being propped up on cushions due to appalling heartburn.