The book of Job

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

I can has employment!
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Lolsome !

Job, He has it !
  3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

4. jaccairn New Member

Congratulations! But what will you be doing now?
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

If it's making cheezburgers, I shall has laughter.
  6. Garner Great God and Founding Father

admin assistant. Only potential challenge is the amount of minutes/note taking that the job entails, as i've a short attention span. but i should be able to focus well enough.
  7. Hsing Moderator

Yaaaayz! Many many yayz!
  8. lipi New Member

As ai haf said... the less they see/hear from you before, the better chances you have :wink:

But seriously, congratulations!
  9. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Congrats man. Hope it all goes well.
  10. spiky Bar Wench

Congrats Clay! A helpful hint from the attention challenged. invest in a digital voice recorder and then you can record the meetings and make mintues of them later :)
  11. Garner Great God and Founding Father

unfortunately, some of the meetings would probably be confidential stuff, particularly the meetings that will prove most difficult to minute.

unlikely that they'd let me use a voice recorder for it, but we'll see.
  12. Maljonic Administrator

God luk. :smile:
  13. Ba Lord of the Pies

*Pulls out the grammar nazi stick* This ends now.
  14. Cynical_Youth New Member

15. Roman_K New Member

Congratulations, Clay. :)
  16. TamyraMcG Active Member

All right Clay!! that must be quite a relief to the Garner household. I'm sure you will be great at this job. I can't has(sorry Ba) the job I just applied for but from what I heard about it after I applied I'm awfully relieved. I will be going for another position eventually. I am getting to the end of my patience for what I am doing now.
  17. KaptenKaries New Member

What's up with the language?

Grattis Garner!
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

19. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh well, back to the subject of jobs.

I was considering making this a new thread called "should I stay or should I go now ?" and then thought it would be more fun to pollute Garner's thread with my rambling.

I have been at my new job for just under 4 months now, I had a 2 month trial period during which either party could end the contract no questions asked. I had a funny feeling I should, but nothing to back it up except "funny feeling", so I didn't. Now, if I want to leave, it means making a fuss and not getting any unemployment money. The usual crap.

The thing is, it just feels wrong. The first point is that most of what the company does is something I despise. I can actually live quite well with the "naked ladies" part of it, it's the Emperor's New Clothes bit I don't like. Tricking people into giving you money, or phone numbers that are going to get spammed, on false pretences. It just sticks in my teath like a raspberry pip and there's no getting rid of it. Yet I know if I leave it in there and wait for it to stop bothering me, it'll turn rotten and decay my teeth. Know what I mean ?

And the second, less "ooh silly me" point, is the total demotivation of the people I'm working with. When you ask someone to redo some work they have done shoddily, to say the least, and the answer is "pff, who cares, it just needs to be done fast, so I just stole a couple of animated Gifs of another site and stuck them there. What's the problem, so it f**ks up the design you spent weeks on, I don't care !" I think it's pretty symptomatic that there's a problem somewhere. There's quite a conflict between departments and I'm in the middle, no-one understands anyone else and things have been left like this to get sour and rot over the last 10 years. I don't want to end up not caring ! I don't want to drag myself to work every day hating myself for it ! There's a girl opposite me who spends her time going on about morals and feminism and swears she's an anti-globalisation chick, and while doing this she's making x-rated ads for kinky newspapers and criticizing the photographers work because you "can't hardly see the tits on that on"... I don't want to be like that !

So I'm going to see my manager here on Wednesday and the manager from the actual company that pays me on Thursday (I'm under contract for another company to this one). She's not going to like this. She thinks everything is fine. Things are also complicated because she's related to a friend of mine, and because the other manager is the husband of someone who works here and I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing anyone in particular, but I'm not going to let this rot, I know too well what that leads to.

End of rant.

Can I have a bikkit please ? Or a hug. Plain or milk, whatever. Don't care. :sad:
  20. Hsing Moderator

*hugs*
    Kat, aren't the headhunters behind you all the time? You're pretty qualified, aren't you? How about just taking the next good offer, and bide your time until then?
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i suggest you hire a small, dedicated strike team of puritan ninjas to raid your place of business and massacre everyone who's crap with their deadly throwing bibles.
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

Tempting... very tempting...

Hsing, yes and one of those offers is still in the tubes, I'm pretty sure I could get something soon, or maybe even - and this has been lurking in my forebrain eating all the biscuits and leaving crumbs on the sofa for way too long - go freelance. I have a few offers for that too, people who want translations, websites, graphic design, and some of the projects just rock*... But I'm still a bit scaredy about taking the jump.

* The most interesting one so far is an offer to translate the rule book and all the cards for a new game called Helldorado, which from what I've gathered is kind of like a Warhammer or Confrontation table game and from what I've seen of it looks like F.U.N. and should pay well too.
  23. Garner Great God and Founding Father

take that job, demand free samples as a hiring bonus, and then send them to me.
  24. Katcal I Aten't French !

I've already got free samples, but only of the text :biggrin: And yes, it is very tempting, isn't it :wink:
  25. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Kat, if you've got other job offers, then I would go with them, at least for the time being. It doesn't sound like the problems at your work are going to be easily solved.
  26. Stercus Stercus New Member

**Gives Kat a plain bikkit and a hug.**

The game sounds like a great offer and a good step to getting more freelance work. I'd go for it.
  27. spiky Bar Wench

Go go go.

Theres nothing more soul destroying than a job where you feel like the life is being sapped out of you.

Take the game job, although I reckon after translating the rules you'll be sick to death of it and will throw it Garner's way just to get rid of it. Freelance means that you'll be your own boss and won't have to deal with crap coworkers but it does mean a little more isolation. Its up to you to figure out if you like that sort of thing.

On the thought of games, I finally convinced my boyfriend to try thud in a blackout last night and after one game he was already flogging the pants off me. the bastard.
  28. Katcal I Aten't French !

I sympathise. Reg had never played Monopoly, so one day we tried a game with my sister. We explained "so you go round the board, you buy the squares, and then you build houses and then hotels". And that's exactly what he did, he bought every square he landed on and built as many hotels as possible and crushed us into bankrupcy. We will never play Monopoly again. :cool:
  29. Tephlon Active Member

*bikkit*

Kat: If you are not happy with what you are doing, it's better to say so.
    I'd probably say something like: "I'm not comfortable in this environment, and I feel my work is not being taken seriously."

If you have any open job offers, just take them.

I have a sidejob thingy where I have to make 10 banners for an "erotic shop". the pay is crap but I took it because they own a chain of online stores which could mean repeat work. I just can't do it. I tried, the first one was OK, but I just can't make something beautifull out of anal lubricant... I might have to bang them out (Pun Definitely Not Intended! ^_^' ) all at once and get it over with.

In related news, the company I am working at right now on a freelance basis, has told me that they won't need me right now (Summer time means less work, and they have enough in house designers) so Friday will be my last day. :-(

But...! Today I am supposed to get a proposal from another company, full time... :-D
    The last I heard 2 out of 3 partners were positive about me, the third was on holiday, but he is the silent partner (The money).

The new company is expanding, so I'm pretty sure I'm in.

So, you see, when you're good at what you do, you'll get picked up.
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well if there aren't enough different colours, you could try using regular paint... :lol:

Thanks Bauke, that's more or less exactly how I intended to put it. This is a bit of a pain, as Reg still hasn't got a job at the moment, but I may stay on 'till the end of the contract (another 2 months), I'd rather like to see this project properly on the rails before quitting, and I guess we'll have to work out the details and stuff, plus a month's notice, so maybe he'll have a job by then, things are looking pretty promising so far. Also, the company that pays me may just find me another client to work for, you never know... Or maybe... hmm... maybe I could get the guys who want the translation to hire me via my current company, I mean, that's what they do, admittedly not usually for translation, but hey... Oh well, we'll see !

Good luck with the new contract Bauke :wink:
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh well, I've spoken to my manager about it, and she took it pretty well, and said she appreciated my honesty and timing, there are another 2 months left for me to finish the planned contract, and that should leave them enough time to fill my place. Now I just have to annouce the news to the actual company that pays me, that should be tomorrow... Oh well, here goes **takes deep breath**
  32. Ba Lord of the Pies

Unless one is a burglar or scam artist, Ba would think.
  33. Stercus Stercus New Member

In that case you get picked up by the law.
  34. Garner Great God and Founding Father

not if you're GOOD at it.
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Which was kind of the joke there...
  36. Katcal I Aten't French !

**imagins Ba wearing a LAMJ t-shirt** Oh dude, not with the 'tach...
  37. Maljonic Administrator

I was about to post: That was the implied. :smile:
  38. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh well, back to the job front... The manager I spoke to yesterday has said to the other guy that she wants to end my contract asap, which is not good news, as it doesn't leave them much time to find me a new mission... However, the other guy has said that if I have any contacts, including the guy who offered me the translation job, then they are welcome to hire me via my current company... I may just manage to work this... but hey, no false joys, I'm not there yet.
  39. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Good luck, Kat.
  40. Katcal I Aten't French !

Thanks Grace... I'm out of here in 2 weeks, end of June, that sucks... I'm going to see the guy who finds missions for people, the one who originally hired me, on Monday evening, and we'll see what he says... I have a funny feeling that I'm going to be getting some unpaid holidays this year after all... Oh well...
  41. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ok, well, I've been to dee him and I was expecting him to say something along the lines of "you've messed us around and let us down, so we're firing you"... (No-one but Mr. Sugar is allowed to say "you're fired" for copyright reasons now.) Instead, he said that they would do everything they could to keep me, and find stuff to keep me busy, but that if they didn't manage to, and had to fire me, then they would do their best to find me a job to go to after that or keep me as a contact if I choose to go freelance... Well, that wasn't too bad.
  42. Tephlon Active Member

I'm officially employed again. Fulltime, 6 months contract, Centre of Lisbon.
    Yay.

Also: Congrats Katkal! It's always good to have someone who believes in you.
  43. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay for you Bauke !
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh well. They're "letting me go", which means we end this in a friendly way and I get unemployment money, so as from june 29th, I am unemployed. They have said they will do their best to help me find something else, either a new job or contacts for freelance work... I don't quite know which way to go from here, freelance is both tempting and scary, finding a permanent job is both reassuring and... binding. Life is weird.
  45. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
  46. Hsing Moderator

This time i am aspiring for a job. A writing job. Something small, but nifty. Keep your thumbs crossed. :)
  47. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Good luck!
  48. missy New Member

Good luck Hsing, hope it all goes well.
  49. Katcal I Aten't French !

GOod luck Hsing, hope it works out
  50. jaccairn New Member

Good Luck Hsing!
  51. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Where? come on, details, details, details!
  52. Garner Great God and Founding Father

well, i finally have my start date:

9am Monday morning.
  53. jaccairn New Member

Nice to get plenty of notice!:biggrin:
  54. lipi New Member

55. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Well, I said I was 'immediately' available, and dammit, we need money fast.

Also, I'm desperate for any excuse to get out of doing housework.*

*Not that I've actually done any in the entire time I've been home. Sorry, honey.
  56. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I wish he was joking. I've been doing the work *and* the housework *and* the nagging.
  57. Stercus Stercus New Member

You should give one of them up. I know which one Garner wishes you'd give up. :lol:
  58. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep, the housework.

I've been to the Assedic (unemployment benefit office) and the guy there was not only energetic and helpful and friendly, he also had the most amazing eyes. I'm sure I must have forgotten something, I really must go back and see him... (only kidding, honey :biggrin:)

I've got an interview this afternoon, we'll see how that goes...
  59. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Good luck, Kat!
  60. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hmm, well, they're obviously interested in me, but having someone ask you a question like "so, you're nearly 30, eh, no kids, are you thinking of having some soon ?" just pours cold water over the whole thing. The "we are looking for people who are willing to invest themselves and not watch the clock, also, the pay will start low and progress as the product does" sounds like "we want a slave who'll accept crappy pay and will have to fight for a raise, if we don't go bust by then..." to me. That's what I was told in my first two jobs and that's what I'm running away from now. Oh well.

Am I being too picky ?