Terry Pratchett FAQ

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by mowgli, Sep 5, 2005.

1. mowgli New Member

I had a momentary insanity moment and volunteered to write up a list of answers to obvious Pratchett questions.

Example: "What order should I read the books in", "when is the new one coming out", "can you tell me more about Terry's biography" etc

I know that a lot can be answered by either searching this site or Googling. I just figured that pasting a link to the FAQ is easier on both fingers and sanity, then typing out "you can really look it up on Google, you know" repeatedly.

If no one objects to me doing this, I'll proceed (slowly), in which case I'd appreciate suggestions as to what constitutes an obvious enough question to get a standard response.

If you think this is a waste of time, or if someone else's already doing it, let me know.
  2. Bob New Member

Well, I would definatly tell ppl to read them in sequence. You wouldn't get the evolving jokes, humour and characters otherwise.
    For instance, the way that Death has evolved from the first 3 books, originally his words were quoted and now is very different.. Also syuff like The Broken Drum, Mended Drum, New Drum names of the pub (although I noted in Going Postal it's called the broken drum again)

~BoB~
  3. Garner Great God and Founding Father

what is 'ppl'? My dictionary seems to be lacking that word
  4. Maljonic Administrator

I do know that it was called the Broken Drum before it burnt down, then the Mended Drum when it was opened again. I haven't read all of Going Postal yet so I haven't noticed the name of the pub in there.

Also, please can you type 'people' instead of 'ppl'? We try to write as clearly as possible here, lots of us are quite picky about it, so that everyone can understand what we're saying (many people here don't speak English as their first language) right away with the need to explain abbreviations and the dreaded l33t/text message speak or whatever it's called these days. :)
  5. Bob New Member

ppl = people

and it isn't text speak, It's Neil speak..

~BoB~
  6. Maljonic Administrator

I've just been reading Going Postal at work tonight by the way, the pub is still called The Mended Drum, not The Broken Drum. :)
  7. Bob New Member

Really ? You read the whole book ?
    How odd, I must be imagining things again.. :?

Must.. take.. medication..

~BoB~
  8. Maljonic Administrator

I haven't read the whole book yet, but I just got past the bit where the place catches fire just after he took the lady to the Mended Drum then that posh restaurant. There's a page that mentions 'Mended Drum' a lot, how the 'Mended Drum' does'nt have fights the same way as it used to - in fact the only reason I'm on here so late is because I just got in and couldn't go to bed without mentioning the Mended Drum being in Going Postal. :)
  9. Bob New Member

Wasn't it called the new drum in a previous book though ?

~BoB~
  10. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I don't think it was ever called the 'new Drum'.

And mowgli, I think the best plan of action is going to L-space and ripping off almost everthing they have!

The time line, suggested reading order etc.

Also, this thread might get a better response in the temple, do you want me (or someone) to move it for ya?
  11. Maljonic Administrator

I was sort of hoping that this kind of thing, the topic of this thread, would become part of this section: http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/discworld/

I already mentioned having a Terry's biography page, don't think anyone volunteered for that, and a couple of people volunteered to finish up some of the book reviews; there's still a couple of Discworld reviews missing, and I guess we could have write-ups for all his books that aren't included on the two paged there already. And we could have any other things Pratchett related in that section too, like it's own little Pratchett website with pages coming off and the above address being the front page of our Pratchett knowledge site. That way the pages will always be in the same place and we can link to them too in stickies and whatnot. :)
  12. Roman_K New Member

[quote:1d198bec1b="Maljonic"]I was sort of hoping that this kind of thing, the topic of this thread, would become part of this section: http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/discworld/[/quote:1d198bec1b]

Mal, just noticed a little something about that. The link to the British edition of Going Postal links to Monstrous Regiment instead.
  13. Maljonic Administrator

Cheers Roman, I'll fix it now. :)