Soda Wars: the Recruitment.

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

okay gang, just a bit of quick and funny silliness here. we're going to have a laddered tournament of soft drinks battling it out to the death, with only one carbonated beverage making it into the victor's circle.

first step is gathering together the combatants. Rules as follows:

Nominate only ONE soda per person.

Beverage nominated must be carbonated.

If the soda is unique to your country or region, please provide a link to a site with more information.

No alcoholic beverages.

I'll go first and nominate Ginger Beer.
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I nominate Dandelion & Burdock.
  3. Stercus Stercus New Member

I nominate Cream Soda. Mmmmmmm!
  4. jaccairn New Member

I nominate soda water.
  5. TamyraMcG Active Member

6. Nester New Member

7. TamyraMcG Active Member

I almost nominated Sioux City birch beer but it stains, and I had the Frostie package handy
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

I hate everything carbonated, but for pure comic value, I'll nominate a load of Pschitt
  9. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba nominates Dr. Pepper, the king of carbonation!
  10. Orrdos God

Irn-bru!
  11. Maljonic Administrator

Fizzy cabbage.
  12. TamyraMcG Active Member

Fizzy Cabbage? Why? why would any one do that to cabbage?
  13. Maljonic Administrator

Is it better or worse than sparkling crab juice? I've had that too. :smile:
  14. TamyraMcG Active Member

Mal, you are a wonder
  15. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Traitor! Well, I suppose that someone has to stick up for the little Georgian upstart. I nominate Coca-Cola Classic.
  16. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Actually, Let the Georgians fend for themselves. I'd rather nominate [WIKI]birch beer[/WIKI] instead. Hanks brand.
  17. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Mal, I require a link or something to that sparkling cabbage.
  18. Maljonic Administrator

[IMG]

The Russian text says "Rassol" by the way, which of course makes all the difference if you want to order it by phone. :)
  19. mr_scrub New Member

A&W root beer. It is superior to all other types.
  20. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i am SEVERELY tempted to declare sparkling cabbage whatever to be the winner right here and now.
  21. TamyraMcG Active Member

Just what criteria are you using to determine the winner, best or weirdest?
  22. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Mowgli is insisting that it is "pickled cabbage" drink. Possibly as a hangover remedy...
  23. TamyraMcG Active Member

You mean it is regular old sauerkraut juice. I can get that at J&Bs*. If it isn't carbonated it isn't a soda is it?

*I haven't and I probably wouldn't but I have seen it.
  24. Garner Great God and Founding Father

it'll be a laddered tournament, with all entrants paired off randomly.

then i'll either do polls or just roll a die or something.
  25. Perdita New Member

I nominate red lemonade. Simply because it generally creates conversation (read:sometimes arguments or being laughed at) When a person from Ireland goes to a bar in another country* to order an alcoholic beverage eg Vodka. Generally we would say ..'I'd like a vodka and white' This means a vodka and white lemonade (sprite/7-up) If ordering whiskey red lemonade is sometime the preferred option.

Here's what it says on the web:

Red lemonade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit to add: In Northern Ireland were I'm from we call it brown lemonade to confuse things just a little bit more

* I am that person
  26. Maljonic Administrator

The Russian Cure |GlobalHangoverGuideĀ®

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Fizzy cabbage juice -[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica] the russian cure for hangovers

Russians enjoy several public holidays in the first half of May culminating in Victory Day on May 9 to celebrate the end of the Second World War. That means drinking - and for years the favoured hangover remedy was salted brine from pickled cucumbers or tomatoes.
    This year they will be able to buy Rassol, cans of salted, carbonated cabbage juice.
    [/FONT]
  27. TamyraMcG Active Member

I still think it is a mighty weird soda but rules is rules :)
  28. Tephlon Active Member

I nominate Fernandes. It's a incredibly sweet drink from Suriname. My nickname for it was 'lollipop in a can'.
    I'll provide a link or something asap.
  29. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I call it that too. (Being Irish, it's natural that I would!) Brown Lemonade is wicked.

Can I have Beer?
  30. Maljonic Administrator

Of course, so long as there is no alcohol in it.
  31. Delphine New Member

I'm not a fan of fizzy drinks (unless it's beer).

But I humbly offer Lilt.
  32. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Lobsters on south beach?
  33. Delphine New Member

Yes indeed, Rinso!

secretly: what?
  34. Electric_Man Templar

I nominate, purely on name basis rather than taste. Because it tastes like it sounds.
    [IMG]
  35. spiky Bar Wench

36. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Extraordinary, captain!
  37. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Do you 'Slam it down fast!'
  38. missy New Member

I know Classic Coke has already gone so i would like to use Diet (cos i'm back on one) Cherry (cos you need 5 fruit and veg a day) Coke (cos every one needs drain cleaner)
  39. Perdita New Member

I love solo -I really like the strong lemony taste - good choice!
  40. mowgli New Member

First of all, mad props to both Bradthewonderllama and Garner for plugging my homeland's favorite hangover cure :). Long live pickle juice and the lives it saved through the ages!

Second, since both cream soda and sparkling cabbage juice (I just love the weird ways capitalism manifests itself back in the old country - "Your grandma's hangover cure - now SPARKLING and in a cool-looking soda can!") are already nominated, then I put forth ...

..kvas! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvas

It tastes like beer, only sweet and, to the anti-beer, girlie-drink-guzzlers like myself, actually drinkable!
  41. mowgli New Member

Whoah... this is the second time in my life I've heard of red lemonade - first time being from a book by a Scandinavian author Tuve Janson (sp?), called "Mummi-troll and the comet". This was about 20 years ago, and I've been wondering about what makes a lemonade red ever since :p.

Mynona and Kapten - does that mean there's red lemonade in Sweden, too?
  42. mr_scrub New Member

I read that mummin-troll book a looong while back. It was really odd. I don't remember any red lemonade.
  43. Katcal I Aten't French !

It's Tove Jansson, and she was finnish (hence the Finn Family Moomintroll book). The books are... well some would say weird, some would say typically finnish, some (i.e.: me) would say that weird and typically Finnish is often the same thing. :lol: And as KK will point out if I don't, Finland is not scandinavian. But yeah, I love the moomins, and I remember red lemonade being mentioned now you say it...
  44. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Sorry Mowgli-Monster, but Kvas is mildly alcoholic, thus disqualified.
  45. Faerie New Member

Dr. Pepper would have been my first choice but Rock & Rye comes in a close second and it now comes in new old fashioned glass bottles. Which are a cool but kind of a pain because the caps don't screw back on very well and I now have Rock & Rye all over the floor of my car.
    [IMG]
  46. missy New Member

How does this work now we have chosen our fizzy drinks? do we get to maim people with our bubblicious drinks of choice?
  47. Garner Great God and Founding Father

oh no. later this week i'll put the drinks into a tournament ladder. then i'll figure out how the winner gets determined, and we determine the winner of each match up.
  48. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I nominate Tommmyknockers Almond Creme. It's nut-tastic.

[IMG]
  49. Hsing Moderator

Om, I think I want a bottle of that, if only because of the label on the bottle. :D

I would like to nominate Bionade, a lemonade-like drink produced by fermentation, but absolutely non-alcoholic. I don't know wether that is within the rules though, because it is not as such carbonated, but sizzly due to the fermentation process. (It is a lot more, well, digestible due to that.)

BIONADE. Welcome

I know it sounds too healthy to taste good, but it does!
  50. Stercus Stercus New Member

Fermented and Non Alcoholic. Is it possible for those words to go together. I feel that if they've taken the time to ferment something then it should make me fall over.
  51. Hsing Moderator

According to the site, it does work something like this:
    But don't ask me. :razz:
  52. mr_scrub New Member

I think this is long enough for anyone to nominate something. I vote we start now.
  53. Garner Great God and Founding Father

er, yes... yes... there's absolutely NOT a tradition of me utterly forgetting to follow through with my ideas.
  54. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Okay, here's the proposed ladder:

Ginger Beer
    Ginger Ale

Dandelion & Burdock
    Caramel flavored colas (Coke, Pepsi, etc)

Frostie Vanilla Root Beer
    Sarsaparilla

Pschitt
    Dr Pepper

Irn-bru
    Fizzy Cabbage

A&W Root Beer
    Cream Soda

Red Lemonade
    Fernandes

Soda Water
    Pocari Sweat

Solo
    Diet Cherry Coke

Rock & Rye
    Tommyknockers Almond Creme

Birch Beer
    Lilt

Bionade
    Must

i'll go set up the voting for the first one now.
  55. Garner Great God and Founding Father

56. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Ginger Ale advances on!
  57. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Dandelion & Burdock advances on!
  58. KaptenKaries New Member

Thanks Kat. :smile:

My grandma makes a wonderful lemonade out of blackcurrant. It has a dark red colour, similar to red wine. Could that be it?
  59. Katcal I Aten't French !

One of the greatest home made "lemonades" (non-sparkling) I ever had was made by Swedish friends of ours, mainly from rhubarb. It was pink and amazingly delicious.
  60. spiky Bar Wench

Wouldn't that be rhubonade?