So...

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

if you threw a pickled cucumber at someone... would that be a gherkin shuriken?
  2. Orrdos God

One of the walls in my local pub has a bit of gherkin stuck on it.

It's been there for a good.... 4 years now.

We think of it as a friend.
  3. Hex New Member

Ew Doors. that's just nasty.

But out of curiosity, does the gherkin have a name after four years in the same pub? Since Friends do have names after all.
  4. spiky Bar Wench

My question is whats the difference between gherkins and pickles? If there is a difference and you through a pickle at someone what would it be called?
  5. TamyraMcG Active Member

I believe that gherkins are a specific kind of cucumber and are usually pickled with a sweetened brine, pickles are more generic, they can even be beets or watermelon. If you threw either of those kinds you could call it a mess.
  6. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

A pickle, I have always been given to understand, is what Americans call a gherkin. Fools! Just because gherkins tend to be pickled does not mean they are pickles! That's like calling salted peanuts 'salts'. In Britain, we would tend to say 'pickled gherkin', 'pickled onion', 'pickled beetroot' etc. We also have 'pickle', which is a kind of chutney.
  7. Ba Lord of the Pies

Anything pickled is a pickle. In the US, most people only eat cucumbers pickled. A gherkin is a young cucumber that's been pickled, generally one to three inches long. It should not be confused with the West Indian Burr Gherkin, which is related to the cucumber, but cannot interbreed with it. The Burr Gherkin can be eaten, but only when very young. After it grows past 1.5 inches, it becomes spiny and bitter.

Generally, if someone is talking about a gherkin, they're talking about a small pickled cucumber. There's not much point in calling it a pickled gherkin, since it wouldn't be a gherkin if it were not pickled. A reasonable person would reserve the term "pickled gherkin" for the Burr Gherkin. But then, the British are hardly a sane and reasonable race. A bunch of savages, the lot of them. Especially their queen.
  8. spiky Bar Wench

Aaaah that makes it so much clearer... Apparently my mum had cravings for gherkins when she was pregnant with me which would explain why I hate them so much.

So when/if you get McDonalds do you leave the gherkins/pickles on or pull them out and toss them at people like me?
  9. Toaf New Member

Well I detest McDonalds and all similar fast food chains, but the pickle definitely stays.
  10. Ba Lord of the Pies

Now, here's a poser. If the projectile in question failed in its duty, would it then be a shirkin' gherkin shuriken?

And if it came from the same planet as Invader Zim, would it be an Irkin shirkin' gherkin shuriken?
  11. Garner Great God and Founding Father

All fear the Irkin vinager... soaked... things.
  12. mowgli New Member

Beware the lurkin' Irkin shirkin' gherkin shuriken!
  13. Garner Great God and Founding Father

quiet you, you should be workin'
  14. Toaf New Member

Ow, now I'm hurtin'! :(
  15. Saccharissa Stitcher

Sauercrauts are pickled cabbages. Are sourpusses pickled cats?
  16. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Anybody wanna peanut?

PS (Sour pusses are cats soaked in lemon juice)
  17. Faerie New Member

In the US we also have pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet(which is just plain wrong) and pickled bologna which is good with cheese and crackers minus the crackers for me because I don't like them. In my particular location in the US we have about 10 jars of homemade pickles in our fridge; dill and bread & butter.
  18. mowgli New Member

The best possible absolute-addiction-forming pickle is the half-sour pickle with garlick. And if I add them to my salad and then bring the salad to work with me, I'll get an entire lunchroom to myself in the matter of minutes :)
  19. Garner Great God and Founding Father

I have moved this topic back to the Boardania forum.

I would like to know who moved it, and why they did so without asking anyone.
  20. Maljonic Administrator

Well it wasn't me, and it wasn't you, and I guess you'd know if Buzzfloyd did it? So it's either Doors, Ba or Rincewind.

When I saw it there yesterday it made me laugh, I thought you'd moved it there on purpose as a joke. :)
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

It wasn't me, it wasn't grace, it wasn't mal, it wasn't doors... this leaves ba and rinso.

Rinso is in wales, and probably drunk on sheep, so we can blame him until ba shows up, at which point I will activate the Blame Transferance Cannon
  22. Maljonic Administrator

Those poor sheep! :)