So long and thank's for all the fish!

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by RebelwithoutaPause, Dec 21, 2006.

1. RebelwithoutaPause New Member

Ok not a Pratchett quote but similar writers in many ways so it will suffice for my point.

I used to belong to a couple of online communities and would post on a daily basis, we had a thread much like your members news and it was nice to talk to friends from all over the world everyday, we even had one chap and his wife visit from the states for a few days as he was over seeing family. So not quite a "con" but it was a great weekend and we stll keep in touch on a regular basis.
    Unfortunatly I changed jobs and no longer had internet access during the day.
    Fast forward to 5 years down the line and Im in a job with internet access again, unfortunately it is limited and those sites I used to frequent that are still active are not accessible. Generally speaking I should only be able to access the BBC web sites and our own intranet. However due to some "Leet Haxxors skillz" (translation - me clickin on lots of links) I have been able to find a handfull of sites that I can view.
    This is one of those sites and after reading many of the posts I saw a close knit community with similar interest to myself. (I love pratchett I love to read and am never without a book on the go and Ive been playing ADnD and other rpg's for over 20 years)
    I can be opinionated and brash, I can also be understanding and forgiving.
    Im not afraid to admit when Ive been wrong or even been ignorant/obnoxious. I'm sure I'm not as nice as I think I am but I'm equally sure I'm not a bad person.

I post between phone calls in work, sometimes Im rushed but regardless of that I try whenever possible to check my spelling and also my typo's as whilst I did learn to touch type many years ago it has fallen by the way side and I semi touch/4 finger type now.
    My punctuation is awful, I put this down to the fact that I'm adamant I was never taught the basics at school.
    My parents were in the army and we moved a great deal then my parents split and we moved some more till we settled. When we did settle I was interviewed by the head teacher ( Sister Mary a Catholic Nun - I remember her well) and after some tests was told I was a good two years behind my peers.
    I handled this by reading a great deal and before too long I caught up and had a normal school life with slightly above average exam results but certainly nothing to get excited about.
    My point - long winded as I am in getting to it. I often have to think about punctuation and spelling (Heck its only been about four years since I actually learned the difference between they're, there, their, where, were, we're etc etc and that was only because my wife was sick of reading it wrong over my shoulder. I still get them wrong now.)
    Now on a board with a healthy number of Europeans whose first language is not English that is weak as an excuse, but I only mention it to give a reason as to why if I dont have much time then my punctuation and spelling suffers. I still try to read through before posting no matter how rushed but I rarely check my puntuation as it takes more time than I have in work.

If this is unaccptable to you then please let me know here and I will gracefully leave the building.

I don't like reading posts that are full of "leet" speak, constant bad spelling
    and typo's on every line. I also dont like reading posts that run on without any paragraphs to make reading easier on the eyes.
    I accept that not everyone on th internet is well read/well educated but I think they should make an effort when they can if they want others to read their posts.
    But Im not so arrogant that I expect them to be absolutly perfect.

Ive tried quite hard to fit in with the click (sp?) that has already grown here, Ive tried not to be judgemental when occasionally certain posts have smacked of arrogance and conceipt and Ive told myself I'm just being paranoid when sometimes newcomers are treated a bit disdainfully.

But the following post by Tephlon did upset me somewhat.

[quote:6a989a3cb7]I'm going to be going into asshole mode here for a second.

Rebel, you seem to want to be a part of this community. Your posts are usually pretty well written. (I'll forgive the "acotr" typo, I make spelling mistakes too, although I usually catch them before I post. There is a preview button for a reason.) You're not afraid of giving your opinion.
    You seem to try and fit in.

Shame then that your keyboard doesn't seem to have an apostrophe key, nor a comma. It does have one for periods, apparently.

What I'm trying to say is: Punctuation is your friend. See also HERE and HERE

Just speaking for myself here, but I'll start reading your posts better if I don't have to mentally insert commas.[/quote:6a989a3cb7]

Although one point I'll take fair on the chin...... yes the .......

I do it when Im making a point.... its a pause for dramatic effect... I do it withouth realising these days.... I'm trying to stop 'cos its beginning to annoy me as well...!
    nb. its taken me just over 2 hours to make this post and its actually pretty quiet in work this morning.
    So if Tephlons opinion is shared by the majority then I guess I'll make my exit.

Thanks for the discussions and good luck to ya'll.
  2. sampanna New Member

I can't say it bothered me much - everyone will react differently though.
    It does sound like you've made up your mind anyway, so I won't try to change it.

Happy typing.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Rebel, don't take it as a rejection, it was a constructive comment that many of us have received on arrival, we have many people here who are not native english speakers and at least a couple of dyslexics, and no-one has been told to go away just because of spelling or punctuation unless they are clearly leet speaking all the time and making no effort to change this. If you're posting quickly for whatever reason, then just say so, realize that badly punctuated or spelled posts may be harder top read, especially by those, like Tephlon, who are not native english speakers, warn or apologize if necessary, correct if possible, and that is it. Spelling and punctuation are not what this board are about, they are meerly tools to help us communicate, and as long as everyone does their best, there's no problem.
  4. Electric_Man Templar

Rebel, don't you think you're over-reacting a bit? It's just a request to make your posts a bit clearer so that people will be able to understand your point(s) better.

I can't say you're the worst in terms of spelling, punctuation and grammar - but it does grate occasionally and I would imagine that it's harder for non-native english speakers (such as Tephlon). In terms of the time aspect, it really isn't that time-consuming to type a comma or give your posts a quick once over. If you have the time at work to check the boards then there's time to check your posts too.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I think the real issue is here:
    I don't believe newcomers are treated disdainfully, we may pick up on them if they express a sloppy point, but we would do so with regulars, that's how we work - if you make a sloppy point then we'll pick up on it. If you see (or have seen) a case where you think someone is being treated poorly just for being new, then tell us.

From a clique point of view, we're a group that has been in existence for many years, we know each other well and have arranged meet-ups on many occasions, I guess that could be intimidating for someone new. But we were all new once, I only joined this group two and a half years ago, which is a couple of years after several other members and another year back from when Garner and Rincewind (among others) originally joined. Katcal only joined last year and has insinuated her way (possibly using mind-control) into this 'clique'.

Newcomers are welcome and we do embrace them into the group, but you can't expect to be treated the same as those who we know very well, simply because we don't know them that well. Relationships aren't instant, it takes time to build them.
  5. sampanna New Member

[quote:58eadc74c3="Electric_Man"]Katcal only joined last year and has insinuated her way (possibly using mind-control) into this 'clique'.
    [/quote:58eadc74c3]

I thought it was the biscuit-bribes that did it.
  6. Tephlon Active Member

Rebel: I'm sorry you feel that way.
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Rebel, you seem fairly sensitive to criticism. In this community we prefer people to say if there's a problem. Then, if there's disagreement, we can discuss it, and, if there's not, we can fix it. Asking someone to take care of their spelling or similar is not having a go at them, it's what we ask everyone to do here, which makes our board such a good place to be. Unfortunately - and this is mostly my fault - we still have not put up our complete FAQ and Guidelines, but it is a longstanding 'rule' here that we ask everyone to write as well as they can out of respect for non-English people, dyslexics and so on.

You've explained why you struggle with punctuation. Thank you, a reason is appreciated. I among others, would be pleased if you were able to just be aware and pay a little more attention to your punctuation, but we can be understanding too. It's a simple request for something that would make your posts a lot easier to read - you've said yourself that you get irritated with similar things in other people's writing - and not a harsh criticism, so please don't feel upset about it.

Now, I think, as Ben said, there's more to this than just the punctuation issue. There's been at least one occasion I can think of where you seemed to get quite upset about a comment that did not seem offensive or hostile to me.

I suspect you're feeling very aware of being a newbie and wanting to make a good impression, and are therefore a bit sensitive to this kind of thing. But trust me, this is not an attack or anything like it.

You've been in online communities before, so you know that good friendships can form. I know a group of friends looks like a clique from the outside, but it's only a clique if you can't break into it. This circle of friends is open to anyone who wants to join and finds they fit in. But, as Ben says, relationships aren't built overnight. Just because you don't feel like part of the crowd now doesn't mean you can never be. A good first step is relaxing about comments like Bauke's, that are meant to be helpful, and simply following the advice you're given.

Suppose you're a new child in school, and the school you've just come from doesn't have queues for dinner - you can just push in wherever you like. Your new school has a queuing system, and when you automatically push in, you come across as rude. Your classmates say, "Dude, please don't push in to the lunch line". If you say, "Oh my God, you don't like me, should I leave this school?", you're over-reacting a bit. If you just say, "Oh, sorry, I didn't realise it was a problem. I won't do it again", then the incident is forgotten and you carry on settling in and making friends. Especially if you [i:409a6fabb6]don't[/i:409a6fabb6] push in to the queue again!

See my point?

To sum up: no one thinks you're a bad person or dislikes you. Take a deep breath, chill out and take on board advice you're given to help you fit in. And you will fit in, just don't expect magic overnight!
  8. RebelwithoutaPause New Member

I did consider I was overacting and I took Tephlon at his word when he said he was being an arsehole.

Then I read the following post and I it made me wonder.
    [quote:85cf99bc55]Well done, Peapod! It's pretty scary taking those first steps towards employment.

Can I suggest that, if you look at journalism, you make it a matter of principle to always use spellcheck? [u:85cf99bc55][b:85cf99bc55]I imagine you're dyslexic[/b:85cf99bc55][/u:85cf99bc55], and your posts here are often very difficult to read - this would not be acceptable in the workplace. We would also appreciate it very much if you wrote your posts in Word and spellchecked them before posting them here! Some of the others, like Rinso, have had to do this in the past, and it makes it a lot easier to read what you're saying. Thanks![/quote:85cf99bc55]

Perhaps I missed something and Peapod posted somewhere that he/she was dyslexic or has buzzfloyd really just made this diagnosis herself?
    Im not going to harp on about how I feel about this in case Peapod has stated that this is the case.

There was also a thread a couple of weeks ago by a father and son that I made comment on after the son was shall we say put firmly in his place regarding his posting technique.
  9. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Point one: I assume you have Microsoft Word on your computer at work? If punctuation and the there/their/they're sort of issue are problems for you, typing up a post in MS Word can give you some help in checking the grammar and spelling.

Case in point, our beloved Rinso happens to be almost cripplingly dyslexic (actually, there's nothing 'almost' about it), and we had to ask him to run his posts through a spell check ages ago. Please note, rinso is one of the oldest members of the community and a dear friend to all of us here.

Point two: Cliques and the like... well, Ben's covered that pretty well. We're not some xenophobic mob here, nor are we passive agressive. If we have a problem with *you*, we'll let you know. No one's had a problem with *you*, just your typing, in this case. Sit back and take it easy, man. No one hates you.
  10. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Point three: Bauke said he was in asshole mode because, like most dutch people living in portugal, he's too mellow to stand up straight without an engineering crane. Trust me, you ain't seen 'asshole' mode yet.

Point four: sounds a bit like you're keeping track of how we're being mean to newbies... just a bit. but please keep in mind that we've had a long history of folks outside our community trying to stir up trouble within our community by citing a long list of (usually fabricated or otherwise imagined) slights and affronts inflicted upon third parties.

Peapod's a sloppy typer. this was raised, i understand, in a polite and constructive manner. same as it was for you. no one's sharpening a headsman's axe here.
  11. chrisjordan New Member

Nothing really to add here, other than that I hope you decide to stay. But if you don't, well...bye then.
  12. RebelwithoutaPause New Member

I am probably trying too hard to try and fit in and so taking offense easy.
    But not all the offense Ive taken has been on my own behalf ie the 2 points I made in my last post.
  13. redneck New Member

[quote:ff38d969cc="RebelwithoutaPause"]Perhaps I missed something and Peapod posted somewhere that he/she was dyslexic or has buzzfloyd really just made this diagnosis herself?
    Im not going to harp on about how I feel about this in case Peapod has stated that this is the case.[/quote:ff38d969cc]

I believe that Peapod made this public shortly after first joining. He/she was asked to try to clear up the spelling a little and it was made known about the dyslexia. I may be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Edited to replace a runaway "t".
  14. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:e51cc0cc56="Garner"]Peapod's a sloppy typer. this was raised, i understand, in a polite and constructive manner. same as it was for you. no one's sharpening a headsman's axe here.[/quote:e51cc0cc56]

What happened to yer capitalization, mate? ;-)
  15. RebelwithoutaPause New Member

Ok I'll calm down a little and accept that as per usual Ive overreacted.

But if I am going to be part of this community then you get to take the rough with the smooth and here comes the rough.

Buzzfloyd.
    Please dont take this a full on personal attack as if anything you've gone out of your way in a few threads to make me feel ok about my input.

But calling someone dyslexic just because the spelling and punctuation is sloppy! That is incredibly condescending and insulting!

With regards the MS word issue I'll take that on board as it means for longer posts I wont have to keep my browser open and keep flipping back to it.
  16. Tephlon Active Member

Rebel. Maybe you should pause a bit sometimes...

Now, if people get defensive they tend to lash out from behind the shield, which on the internet will set off people more easily than in real life. Which will probably make you "picked on" or ever attacked by a pack.

As for the Asshole bit, I regretted that the minute I hit post, because I understood that it might be misinterpreted. However, we have a rule, informal or not, that we do not alter posts beyond correcting spelling mistakes. Garner is right, I'm way too nice...

All I did was ask you to have a bit more care with your posts, because, amongst other things, people will actually read the post instead of being annoyed by missing punctuation and/or spelling mistakes. I just had to go back and reread sentences.

I've heard people say that they skip some posters posts because they require too much energy. You don't want that to happen. I don't want that to happen...

I've been part of several message boards, but this is the only one I feel strong enough about to stand up for it.

PS: As for Buzzfloyd spotting dyslexics... She is a teacher. It's her job.
  17. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:6c1bf65dda="KaptenKaries"]What happened to yer capitalization, mate? ;-)[/quote:6c1bf65dda]

Fuck you, you fascist oppressive swede! How dare you tell me how i can or cannot type, you're just trying to push me around. you're the MAN, man!
  18. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:dd6f3ca6c9="RebelwithoutaPause"]But calling someone dyslexic just because the spelling and punctuation is sloppy! That is incredibly condescending and insulting![/quote:dd6f3ca6c9]

on the 'oversensitiviy' scale, that registers at about a 4,000,002.

additionally, please see nate's post about peapod mentioning the dyslexia earlier.
  19. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:1162410bb4="Tephlon"]As for the Asshole bit, I regretted that the minute I hit post, because I understood that it might be misinterpreted. However, we have a rule, informal or not, that we do not alter posts beyond correcting spelling mistakes. Garner is right, I'm way too nice... [/quote:1162410bb4]

for the record, i'm of the opinion that if you'd just hit the 'submit' button and changed your mind about one little word, editing to fix that would be just fine.

the issue with editing a post is really in response to people changing their posts after other people had replied, particularly for malicious effect.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:c180c07cdb="Tephlon"]PS: As for Buzzfloyd spotting dyslexics... She is a teacher. It's her job.[/quote:c180c07cdb]
    Exactly, and as far as I remember it, it was asked in quite a kind way, merely to clarify why peopod's typing was so bad at one point, she was not "calling peopod a dyslexic" as if it was an insult. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong, Grace) dyslexia does make you make a certain [i:c180c07cdb]type [/i:c180c07cdb]of mistake, which is usually quite easy to differenciate from average bad spelling, especially to a trained eye.

I am a great one for being a little oversensitive to criticism, and the way people express themselves on boards being quite different to normal speech, it's even easier to get or give the wrong impression. I can remember being upset by things I didn't get, but also feeling equally stupid when they were explained to me. As Electric_ben said, I have only been here a year, as has Kapten, so I do remember quite well what it's like to be new, it is intimidating, there will be in-jokes, or remarks that you don't necessarily understand, they are not done on purpose to keep newbies out, they are just a natural part of any group's evolution. It takes time to become a part of the community and understand things, hell, I still don't understand half of what Garner goes on about, but hey, he's american. That's [b:c180c07cdb]worse [/b:c180c07cdb]than being dyslexic you know... :D

Oh, and yes, try biscuit bribery. It works.
  21. Tephlon Active Member

[quote:814e101261="Garner"][quote:814e101261="Tephlon"]As for the Asshole bit, I regretted that the minute I hit post, because I understood that it might be misinterpreted. However, we have a rule, informal or not, that we do not alter posts beyond correcting spelling mistakes. Garner is right, I'm way too nice... [/quote:814e101261]

for the record, i'm of the opinion that if you'd just hit the 'submit' button and changed your mind about one little word, editing to fix that would be just fine.

the issue with editing a post is really in response to people changing their posts after other people had replied, particularly for malicious effect.[/quote:814e101261]

Partly I was afraid that if I did edit it out someone might have seen it and then we would have had another discussion besides this one.
    Because all that would be remembered was that I said Asshole and that I deleted that. So I left it in.
  22. Mynona Member

Dyslecticts might have problems spelling but those I've come across on this site try to make their posts as legible as possible.

And honstly, there's dyslectics, and then there's me, I don't know how I do it but I can't spell in any language, and I kind of type crappily too. But that does not mean that I do not double-check posts before hitting submit, or trying my best to get it correct.

And while punctionation might be difficult it is also important since missing a comma or replacing it with a full stop might change the meaning of the sentence completely.
  23. Tephlon Active Member

As in this famous sentence: "I helped my uncle, Jack, off his horse."
  24. RebelwithoutaPause New Member

[quote:177389a138="Garner"][quote:177389a138="RebelwithoutaPause"]But calling someone dyslexic just because the spelling and punctuation is sloppy! That is incredibly condescending and insulting![/quote:177389a138]

on the 'oversensitiviy' scale, that registers at about a 4,000,002.

additionally, please see nate's post about peapod mentioning the dyslexia earlier.[/quote:177389a138]

I didnt see nate's post till after I had posted so my apologies on that.
  25. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:c58e987f83="Tephlon"]Partly I was afraid that if I did edit it out someone might have seen it and then we would have had another discussion besides this one.
    Because all that would be remembered was that I said Asshole and that I deleted that. So I left it in.[/quote:c58e987f83]

eh, i've done it before, more than once. 'ahhh fuck, i shouldn't have called him a spastic potato humper... i better go edit that.'

and if anyone sees it and says i was in the wrong, i'll just say 'how is retracting immature behavior wrong? I thought better of it, and i realized the greater wrongness would come from leaving it in.'

of course, if you want to cover all your bases, give it a quick edit to remove the offending text, then a second edit to append a line saying 'edited to remove potentially offensive text' or some such.

but hell, then you've got to worry about people who'll go reading too much into it and demanding to know just WHAT was potentially offensive...

at which point i usually like to send ba to have a chat with them.
  26. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:e7db13c800="Garner"]eh, i've done it before, more than once. 'ahhh fuck, i shouldn't have called him a spastic potato humper... i better go edit that.' [/quote:e7db13c800]
    Yes, it is always wise to remember not to accuse people of having defects that you have yourself... :cooler:
  27. RebelwithoutaPause New Member

[quote:a2bfbcea38="Tephlon"]Rebel. Maybe you should pause a bit[b:a2bfbcea38] sometimes...[/b:a2bfbcea38]
    Now, if people get defensive they tend to lash out from behind the shield, which on the internet will set off people more easily than in real life. Which will probably make you "picked on" or ever attacked by a pack.

As for the Asshole bit, I regretted that the minute I hit post, because I understood that it might be misinterpreted. However, we have a rule, informal or not, that we do not alter posts beyond correcting spelling mistakes. Garner is right, I'm way too [b:a2bfbcea38]nice... [/b:a2bfbcea38]
    All I did was ask you to have a bit more care with your posts, because, amongst other things, people will actually read the post instead of being annoyed by missing punctuation and/or spelling mistakes. I just had to go back and reread sentences.

I've heard people say that they skip some posters posts because they require too much energy. You don't want that to happen. I don't want that to [b:a2bfbcea38]happen...[/b:a2bfbcea38]
    I've been part of several message boards, but this is the only one I feel strong enough about to stand up for it.

PS: As for Buzzfloyd spotting [b:a2bfbcea38]dyslexics... [/b:a2bfbcea38]She is a teacher. It's her job.[/quote:a2bfbcea38]

Dude! Are you takin' the pish...... :badgrin:
  28. Tephlon Active Member

Nope, I use ellipses all the time.

I limit them to 3 at a time though.
  29. Hsing Moderator

So do I.

Rebel, you may now be at a point in the discussion where you have to decide wether you want to let it cool down or insist on your role of the one being singled out. I don't find a single post to this point from anybody else, directed towards you, that is really over the top. Each one has been explained to you. Even the stuff that you mistook as newbie-mistreatment (see Peapod).
    Tephlons initial post has been nothing unusual indeed. Everything's been said about that. Now if you decide to keep picking at things, that tells us a lot about the decision you've made...
    I remember calling off another newbit for having a go at you, by the way. Now, of course that could be filed under "newbie mistreatment" if one really wishes to find more proof for that pattern, but a true clique would only do that for a long term member. We just try to apply the same standards to everyone, that's all.

By the way, your use of periods wasn't criticised, it was only mentioned that that part of punctuation does turn up in your posts.
  30. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Poor, Spelling and grammer, discusts me.
  31. Garner Great God and Founding Father

ironicly, that may well be the best spelled post damien's ever made.
  32. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Regarding Peapod:

Peapod is indeed dyslexic (and dyspraxic). We cut him/her some slack on the writing front for this reason, as we do for other dyslexic members, such as Rinso and Garner. However, I couldn't actually remember when I made that post whether or not Peapod had actually told us that s/he is dyslexic - Peapod joined quite a while ago now - but, as Kat says, there are characteristic mistakes that are obvious indicators of dyslexia, so it's pretty damned obvious anyway when you're dealing with a dyslexic person as opposed to a poor speller or poor typist.

I'm a teacher, I'm married to a dyslexic person, and I have a sister who took remedial classes at school for reading and writing but is [i:61f84f0055]not[/i:61f84f0055] dyslexic. Because of her, I've done a fair amount of personal research on the subject, and I think I'm reasonably knowledgable enough to make a judgement even without being told.

Is it condescending and insulting to ask if someone's dyslexic if their spelling is bad? Perhaps if they had only made one minor mistake - but you've seen how Peapod writes. In a case like that, I think it would only be an insult if calling someone dyslexic is insulting - which it clearly isn't.

You should also be aware that Peapod has been asked [i:61f84f0055]repeatedly[/i:61f84f0055] to run his/her posts through a spellchecker before posting, but still fails to do so. Several people have complained to me about his/her illegibility, and I know several people simply don't read Peapod's posts because they can't. At this point, the person who posted to complain would normally be stepping it up a level, so I would say my post was far more forgiving than might be expected. Is acknowledging someone's evident problem and offering a way for them to work around it (for about the fourth - unacknowledged - time) worse than growing angry and speaking to them severely?

So there is a history to the post I made, which you couldn't know as a newbie - but it's worth bearing in mind, as a newbie, that there may be a history you are unaware of.

I fail to see how this is newbie bashing. I think I go out of my way to make newbies feel at home here - which is not something that anyone inherently deserves, it's just me being nice. I think I go out of my way to speak to people politely when they are behaving in a problematic manner, and I thought I was giving Peapod another chance to resolve a problem without arguments or bad blood. If I was insulting and condescending, it was certainly unintentional, though I'm sorry if that was the effect of my post.
  33. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[quote:342b23d9e5="Garner"]ironicly, that may well be the best spelled post damien's ever made.[/quote:342b23d9e5]

Ha. I was *trying* to spell discust wrong. Oh, Sweet, Bitter Irony.
  34. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

You did. It's disgust. Remember, Garner's dyslexic too. Oh the double (thereby cancelled out) irony!
  35. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i knew he got it wrong. that was kind of my point. it was a post containing less than seven impossible typos before breakfast.
  36. KaptenKaries New Member

I didn't know you are dyslexic, Garner. Knowing this I feel kind of bad for the remark I made earlier.
  37. Angua_rox New Member

I'd be sorry to see you - hell, anyone - go because of something minor like this. It is only minor. I'm still a total newbit ( or feel like one, anyways) and yeah, when you're new, it is hard, like anything else. But people are really nice here, and seriously, they are like this to everyone. Which does make it better.

When I joined, I had come from a message board where, althought they had all the rules against l33t etc, no-one followed them. So when I came here, and got reprimanded for using a "ty" as opposed to thank you, I was offended. But I looked around, and saw that they said that kind of thing to everyone, old and new. Upon which I realised that I wasn't being picked on, or singled out, although that's what it had felt like, in fact, they were treating me [b:af117bb20b]exactly[/b:af117bb20b] like they treat everyone. Which, strangely, made me feel like I belonged a bit more.
  38. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

People pull me up [i:195e65c942]every single time[/i:195e65c942] I make a typo or minor error. Damn them all.
  39. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:4245d47d68="KaptenKaries"]I didn't know you are dyslexic, Garner. Knowing this I feel kind of bad for the remark I made earlier.[/quote:4245d47d68]

nah, i drop the capitalization and stuff when i'm in a hurry or just being sloppy. nothin to do with the dyslexia. now, when i screw up the spelling of words (particularly issues with double letters), that's more to do with dyslexia.

se[b:4245d47d68]rr[/b:4245d47d68]iously. :p
  40. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:cc69078e33="Angua_rox"]Which, strangely, made me feel like I belonged a bit more.[/quote:cc69078e33]

I think that's actually a compliment to the way we do things around here...

I'm gonna take it as one, anyway ;)
  41. jarmara New Member

Someone corrected my spelling once, but then it was an intentional, ironic error.

Honest.

I wouldn't take it personally Rebel - we're new, we're incomers to a group who have developed their own style and ettiquette. We either accept that with grace or we leave without histrionics.

For the record, I have never been made to feel anything but welcome here and having shared forum space with a woman who applied the innocent comma to a paragraph with a scattergun... more power to their elbow, frankly!
  42. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:a3d2ee9bd9="jarmara"] We either accept that with grace or we leave without histrionics. [/quote:a3d2ee9bd9]
    Now I know buzzfloyd's name is Grace, but who's this Histronics ? Whatever, I certainly accept them both, although Grace is nicer.
  43. Garner Great God and Founding Father

yeah, that histronics guy is a total knobgoblin.
  44. Pepster New Member

[quote:dde308b708="Buzzfloyd"]People pull me up [i:dde308b708]every single time[/i:dde308b708] I make a typo or minor error. Damn them all.[/quote:dde308b708]

It is because of the rarity of them. Hailie's Comet is a more regular occurance :p
  45. Tephlon Active Member

[quote:e2080be229="Garner"]yeah, that histronics guy is a total knobgoblin.[/quote:e2080be229]

I'm SO tempted right now to register under that nick... If only it wasn't against the rules... :)
  46. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i had to stop myself from doing it, too, 'phlon.
  47. Maljonic Administrator

Did you mean Histronics Guy or Knobgobblin? They sound like a good idea for comic strip characters.
  48. KaptenKaries New Member

Oooh that reminds me I have to get me some hobgoblins for the weekend.
  49. jarmara New Member

[quote:21f214b1b3="Maljonic"]Did you mean Histronics Guy or Knobgobblin? They sound like a good idea for comic strip characters.[/quote:21f214b1b3]

Knobgobblin would be a fun guy then? One that every man wanted his partner to get know and love? ;)
  50. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Histronics Guy: Quickly, Knobby, the Histronic Signal!
    Knobgoblin: Um, I'm a bit busy at the moment, boss...
    Histronics Guy: GAH! Quit that! Put it away, no one wants to see you fight crime like that.
    Knobgoblin: Spiderman does it....
    Histronics Guy: That's a dirty lie. That webbing fluid was a brilliant invention of peter parker's.
    Knobgoblin: Uh huh... then how come he can't afford to move Aunt Bea into a better house?
  51. Tephlon Active Member

[quote:c40f2fa1a3="Garner"]
    Knobgoblin: Uh huh... then how come he can't afford to move Aunt Bea into a better house?[/quote:c40f2fa1a3]

[comicbook guy]Aunt [i:c40f2fa1a3]May[/i:c40f2fa1a3].[/comicbook guy]
  52. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Parker had a lot of fucking aunts...
  53. Angua_rox New Member

It was meant as a compliment Garner :p

Hopefully you just mean he had a lot of aunts, because the very idea of aunts gettin' it on makes my toes curl. Unfair to aunts, but I just think of my 90 year old great aunt who is a nun. . .. . Euuch.
  54. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

LOL! Not like [i:33578209eb]that[/i:33578209eb], Angua_rox!
  55. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i could go back and rephrase it to 'parker had a lot of goddamn aunts', but that'd still cause conflict with the whole 'nun aunt' issue.
  56. Angua_rox New Member

What can I say, I have a terribly rampant imagination. . .:p

Nah, I know Garner meant it in the good way!