Silly buggers et al.

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Katcal, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

No, this is not another rant post about the Bush administration, this is experimental research.

I have finally found an idea for my contribution to the virtual chain diary. I'm currently reading Reaper Man, and I really loved the idea of the swearwords coming to life and buzzing round Ridcully's head. I have started illustrating a list of them, and I thought that maybe your would have ideas of what they would look like, as the only one thet is described properly is a "- !" (probably something to do with the F-word) but there are still plenty of others...
    I have already done the "- !", the "damn" and a swarm of "silly buggers", but there are many more swearwords to go, here's your chance to contribute to a major work of art... :cool:

For reference, the main passage about the swearwords is page 188 in the corgi book.
  2. mr_scrub New Member

Actually there are proper descriptions of others though not as detailed. And I think the "you _____ " is actually related to some part of animal husbandry as stated in the book.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Nope, I've been through the whole book and the only one with even a minimal description is the " - !" whatever it is... The others get swatted, or come in swarms, but there's nothing to say what the actually look like.

Come on people, get your thinking caps on !
  4. Mynona Member

Well, we all know what some of them look like, most of them camels. ;)
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Nah, camels are camels, they just get called "evil bastard" and so on... :D I suppose I could add a camel... with wings... :D
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

Up...

Come on people, don't telle me a) you don't know any swearwords and b) you have no imagination ! :cool:
  7. Hsing Moderator

All my drawing utensils are already packed into cardboard boxes!
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

No, I do the drawing, you just think up what they would look like and describe them !
  9. Maljonic Administrator

I'm a bit confused. Are you asking for a list of swear words from this world or the Discworld? Or a list of ideas of what some swearword might look like if they were alive?
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

What I was asking for is ideas of what Ridcully's looked like when they materialised due to excess life force... There was only one with a real description, and I have thought of how a few others would look, but I thought you lot might find this fun to join in with...

A few that were mentioned were :

Drat
    Blasted
    Bloody
    Hellfire (the phrase bloody hellfire produced 2 creatures)
    Damn (already drawn)
    Silly Buggers (already drawn) - I'm wondering if "Bugger !" is a different creature, I think it should be, as these are just the silly variety.
    Sod(ding)
    Shit

And of course there's room for plenty more.
    They seem to all be flying insect-like things, but this being discworld, that doesn't necessarily mean they have wings... Maybe if you'r really good I'll post what I've done so far.
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I still don't really understand this! Are you asking us to describe insects?
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

Due to magical intrference, swearwords turn into what pTerry described as a swarm of insects... I want to draw them, but I thought it could be fun for you all to join in describing what they should look like... I'll post the ones I have already done so you get an idea of what I want...

So here's an example of one that I have done already :
    Silly buggers: a kind of snake shaped thing with wings, with bright colours and a one eye, with a big grin.
  14. luggage New Member

For hellfire I would say bright red eagle shape with spikes on the wings
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay ! thanks luggage !

Here are a few to get your teeth into :
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  16. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Oh, I see! Well, I suggest that a Drat is small, squat and greenish-brown with beady eyes, small wings and a yellow sting.
  17. Sunna New Member

Drat would to me be an overweight green rat...with wings:)
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

Those sound strangely compatible :D Thanks !
  19. spiky Bar Wench

Well I'll take shit of course.

Shit: A small flattish brown swirl, with heat waves coming off the top. It should have eyes on the top and eight brown legs coming off the side so that it can maneuver under an unexpected foot.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

Here's drat, what do you think ?

[IMG]

It needs a sting, I'll add that later, but I quite like it.
  21. luggage New Member

I have an idea for sod.

a dark green crab like body with a scorpions tail and a snail like head.
  22. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Drat looks great, although perhaps too cheerful?
  23. Hsing Moderator

It is fluffy! :biggrin:
  24. Katcal I Aten't French !

fluffy ? :shock:

Hmmm... I've just had a flash. I suddenly know what arsehole looks like :biggrin:
  25. Ba Lord of the Pies

What a sheltered life Katcal must have led up until this point...