Rincewind's Random Photo Thread!

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Rincewind, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Some pictures I took down at the studio where I was working:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Sorry they're a bit massive.
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Actually, that blue green red one, is really neat...
  3. Hsing Moderator

I think they are all cool.
  4. fairyliquid New Member

They're fantastic rinso - you have quite a good eye for photos....

edit to add my picture of the giant flagella I just made. I thought it looked cool.

[IMG]
  5. Faerie New Member

Pretty colors. :rolleyes:
  6. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It's the joys of a digital camera. You can take so many photos your bound to get a good one sooner or later. I took loads of shitty ones. I was trying to get a picture of all the lights in the roof (which looked really cool) for ages but couldn't get anything decent. Curse you Shakey hands!
  7. OmKranti Yogi Wench

You really should lay off the hard stuff, Rinso.
  8. Rincewind Number One Doorman

But I love concrete so much!

Edit spelling.
  9. sampanna New Member

Cool photos!
    I'm gonna put up a few too -
    A typical South Indian breakfast:
    [IMG]

I could have touched this one!:
    [IMG]

Down South, they really love bright colours :)
    [IMG]

Edit: Pah, stupid photos won't show up inline. What am I doing wrong?
  10. Maljonic Administrator

Sampanna, I edited your image code - just took off the '?v=0' from the end after the .jpg. I think the board wont show photos if they don't end with a valid image extension, such as gif or jpg.

Anyway the top one is very artistic, and delicious-looking. I get a similar feeling from the seconds one, only from the point of view of me being the food. :)
  11. Hsing Moderator

:D

Really fantastic pictures!
  12. Katcal I Aten't French !

Damn you Sam, now I'm craving for Indian food. Ok, more than usual I mean.

Cool pics though ;)
  13. sampanna New Member

Hey, thanks :)
    Mal - thanks for cleaning up my post!
  14. Rincewind Number One Doorman

In the photo competition I've entered this months theme is food. Your frist picture would be excellent! You bastard! what is it anyways? Whats in the naan?

Also:

Picture number 3=GAAAY. Fact.

What camera are you using?
  15. sampanna New Member

Thanks!
    The food is idli (thats the white thing wrapped in banana leaf), sambar - the reddish liquid, chutney - the white thing, and vada - the brown doughnut shaped thing.
    There is no naan.

And #3 is gay! Or so I thought initially .. but after spending an year here I've noticed that the local men are a lot more physical around each other. Or of course, it could just be that they are gay.
  16. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I don't think it's the pysical contact that makes them gay, it's those horrid matching jackets.
  17. Maljonic Administrator

I think I'm going to do some experiments with water photography in the future. I just found these two shots I made on the first day I bought my new camera a few weeks ago, since then I have read the instructions so my powers should be greater - but these still look accidentally quite nice I think:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. KaptenKaries New Member

What's that spiky reflection in your first pic, Mal?
  19. Maljonic Administrator

It's not actually a reflection at all. The water had a layer of oil on it and the spikey bit is the actual water under the oil where I dropped the leaf in, the strange pointy shape expanded to fill the whole picture about a second later.
  20. KaptenKaries New Member

Ahh, beautiful oil poisoned water. I should have guessed.
  21. sampanna New Member

The second shot is rather neat. You can see the individual drops, but there's motion too. Nice.
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hey, nice shots Mal... I have plenty of random pics, I really must Flickr them, I take random pics all the time, sometimes I embarass my poor husband by stopping and taking a picture of something that no-one else would bother with...
  23. Rincewind Number One Doorman

i loved that second shot. What where your camera settlings at the time? If you remember?
  24. Maljonic Administrator

I think it was just in a basic mode close-up setting. I didn't do any fancy shutter speed or aperture stuff.
  25. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Looks loverly.
  26. MrsLibrarian New Member

I would like to share a picture that I took in King Sejong tomb site. It is my current wallpaper on my computer.

[IMG]
  27. Pixel New Member

Possibly this should have been in the thread about signs in other countries, but it is a photograph (and a pretty random one!)!

It is election time in Belgium, and this poster was spotted at the bar that the cast and crew of a play we have just put on went to each night.
    It caused much hilarity!

[IMG]

One where a totally fortutious light effect (which I could not see when I took the picture) added to the effect - the caption is because it was shot during a rehearsal for an open-air production (which still needed lighting for the evening performance) and Jim was the technician in charge of the lighting and sound - I have lost track of the original uncaptioned version.

[IMG]

Edited to say - Access problems on the link - I'm working on it!
    Edited to say - I think I fixed it.
  28. MrsLibrarian New Member

Now who would vote for a total pr!ck? :lol:
  29. Pixel New Member

Given the standards of most politicians - practically everybody!
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

Unfortunately, the cat is right... **lobs a jar of peanut butter at pixel's left ear**
  31. Maljonic Administrator

Took this nice picture of two horses yesterday. I didn't realise one of them had his tongue sticking out until I got home.

[IMG]
  32. drunkymonkey New Member

Haha, "Prick", that owns.
  33. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Another Picture of a light...

[IMG]

I've entered a monthly photo competition on another forum (maybe this is something we could do here?). This month the theme is food. I'm struggling to find something good, mostly becuase the food I make isn't that photogenic. :)

Here are two of my maybes...

[IMG]

[IMG]
  34. Maljonic Administrator

The second one is quite good but I think it looks kind of 'arranged', especially considering the subject matter itself. Unless it's an ironic statment about table etiquette, using the common person's foods as a highlight?

Edit: just to clarify, I meant the second food picture - not including the light.
  35. Hsing Moderator

A competition seems like a nice idea seeing there seems to be quite an interest in photography on board. Why not, then?
  36. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Ok. We'll start one next month. Should be fun!

Sadly the second picture wasn't an Ironic Statement (though, i might pretend it was). Though, it wasn't arranged really, I took that while my housemate was mid coking dinner.
  37. inwig New Member

Rincewind there are a number of tricks and tips with shooting food. The first great tool is a spray gun or mister loaded with olive oil to paint that glorious sheen on that catches the light so dramatically (and makes water drops sit artfully). The second is lighting.
    There is a whole art to it, good luck.
  38. Maljonic Administrator

I'll be in it, maybe we could choose a subject each month to keep us focused. :)
  39. plaid New Member

i want to play. all i have is a camera phone but i like to play with it.
  40. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yeah, We should mal. I'll work out some rules for us.
  41. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay, I'm in...
  42. Hsing Moderator

43. Maljonic Administrator

In the meantime, I took this shot of some rushing water.

[IMG]
  44. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Your water shots are amazing. My camera (or me) is rubbish at capturing moving stuff.
  45. Katcal I Aten't French !

Here's one of mine from a while back, in Paris. It's part of the monument of deportation that's behind Notre Dame cathedral, it's a strange place, underground, and nobody really notices it, which is a shame, because it's very moving. The pic is of the tomb of the unknown deportee, and the walls are covered in glass beads that the light comes through. Each glass bead represents someone who was deported...

[IMG]

(edited for spelling)
  46. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i wanna judge the contest!

and, pardon me for not having a clue, but what unknown deportee? what deportations are we talkin about here
  47. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, from what I understood, it was a memorial to all deportations ever, but of course, the WW2 ones took up most of the space, and most of the deported people then were jews (come on Garner, I'm sure you've heard of this bit ;) ) the tomb of the unknown deportee is like the unknown soldier, it's symbolic more than anything else. Now that's all that was written on the stone, and there wasn't much written material in the place, it was very dark and bleak... So that's all I know...
  48. Maljonic Administrator

From Rick Steves' Europe: Historic Paris Walk Part I

49. Garner Great God and Founding Father

ooooooooooooooh yeah... forgot about that war...
  50. Maljonic Administrator

I was going to use this picture I took yesterday for the 'Beginning' competition, but I've changed my mind as I've thought of something else, which means me driving miles and miles to find it.

Still, this should get us started perhaps:

[IMG]
  51. KaptenKaries New Member

You really do take wonderful pictures, Mal. What camera and lens are you using?

I know absolutely nothing about photography (even though photography is my employer's main business) and I want to buy myself a camera to start taking photos. Our photographer has recommended the Nikon D70S as a good amateur camera.
  52. Maljonic Administrator

Actually I didn't think the text on the little white squares was sharp enough on this pictures. I had it sharper on another picture but it was obscured slight from a lower angle.

Anyway it's a Canon 350 D, similar to the one you mentioned I think?
  53. KaptenKaries New Member

Ah yes that's what he said, they're comparable and the choice is more if you want to go for a Canon or a Nikon. I think that's because some lenses are very expensive and if you would buy a new camera later you'll save a lot of money if you can reuse your lenses.
  54. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay ! Mal's my camera twin !!! (Yeah, ok, like a million people worldwide, I know...) The 350D is a great camera, I'm having tremendous fun with it I must say... The Canon vs. Nikon debate is also a great question of feeling from what I have heard, it's almost a Mac vs. PC thing, but with both companies being a lot more equal sales-wise, you like one or you like the other... if you're starting off, have a good look in a decent camera shop, if you can, try one, a friend's or in a shop if they'll let you...
  55. Maljonic Administrator

There's a lot the camera can do, I'm nowhere near learning everything.

Anyway here's more waterness:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The last one is a river lock at it's lowest, with most of the water drained out. The spurting water is actually the river forcing its way through the seams at the bottom of the lock gate.
  56. Katcal I Aten't French !

Here are some more of the random shots I've been promising to upload to Flickr, some are recent, others less so :

[IMG]
    Sunflowers for sale on the morning market, this morning.

[IMG]
    This is my hubby, Reg, on a trip to Paris, taken between the stripy columns in the courtyard of the Palais Royal, opposite the Louvre.

[IMG]
    A lonely shoe I found in this exact position, just walking down a street on holiday. I find this scene very sad, but I'm not sure why...
    [IMG]
    Movie theatre seats. I took this for a photo competition on another board.

http://static.flickr.com/80/257596742_f64d94a271.jpg
    This beautiful creole girl was on a boat we went on while on our honey moon, I love the colour in this one.

http://static.flickr.com/80/257596739_e7b889cf86.jpg
    CHEESE NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN !!! : D
  57. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I took some pictures while on holiday in the mountains this weekend. I want to put them up, but I have not thingy to do the stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  58. Katcal I Aten't French !

59. Rincewind Number One Doorman

60. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Cool, I should have some cool pics up soon.