PM chains

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Garner, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

You know how on the old boards a PM exchange would be a thread for just two people?

On this one it's more like Outlook, each one sent and received is a seperate entry.

Would there be any way to implement a more threadlike structure? And if so, would anyone else find that preferable?
  2. Bradthewonderllama New Member

It would be preferable to me. However, it's not a big loss if it's not doable.
  3. Maljonic Administrator

I hadn't even noticed until you now, I'd forgotten all about the way PMs are displayed on the old boards - I used to find them confusing actually because they looked too much like the rest of the message board, if I walked away or got distracted then came back I sometimes forgot what I was looking at. That's probably because the other places I posted on all had PMs set up pretty much like it is on here; the most used boards I think are PHPBB (like this one) and vBulletin, which both have this same setup.

I don't think there's an option to change it, it would have to be a code modification I think, possibly quite a big one, which makes it all the more difficult to upgrade to newer versions in the future.

Edit: there's also a quote button on PMs on these boards if that's any help.
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

if it's a hassle to change, then don't worry about it. i'll play around with the quote button and see what it gets me
  5. Roman_K New Member

The thread-like build of the old boards' PM system was, in fact, very convenient to use. It's much the same as Gmail's current method of threading replies together to a more convenient build. It's just plain easier to read, especially if you want to review a certain part later.

But, as Garner said, if it's a hassle, drop it. No need to screw around with the code just for a small bit of comfort.