Photo Competition III, January 2007

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Katcal, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

The Third Photo Competition theme is 'Faith'

Rules *

- Photographs must be taken by you - no nicking them off the Web
    - Photos must be taken specifically for the contest - get out there and get snapping!
    - One picture per person.
    - No excessive digital manipulation (i.e. adding a more dramatic sky from another photo to your picture). Playing with levels, saturation etc is ok though.
    - Equipment: Anything goes as long as the results can be seen from here.
    - Voting takes place when the contest closes.
    - The winner of the contest gets to choose the next subject.
    - Late entries will not be included in the voting.

This is open to anyone and the more people the better. Even if you don't want to take pictures, I'm sure all the contestants would appreciate your comments.

The competition starts as of now and will end on February 1st

*reborrowed from Mal's quotation of Rincewind's original, mysterious source.
  2. Maljonic Administrator

God almighty, that'll give us something to think about. :)
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep. I thought to be fair it should be something about which I too have no idea what photo to take :D

Does that sentence make any sense ?
  4. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Thanks a lot Katcal. I can get the rules into my head but I'm damned if I can think of a suitable subject.
    Nice choice, though. It may kick start the old grey matter into life. :roll:
  5. Hsing Moderator

Oooh, hard. Faith. On top of it, the word is hard to translate into German without loosing some of it's vibe, and I'm not even sure of the entire, wholeful meaning. Couldn't you have stuck for "sugar"?! ;)
  6. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

But Hsing, what about the deeper subtleties of the word 'sugar'? ;)
  7. Maljonic Administrator

Faith doesn't have to have a vibe, it could be as simple as walking across a rope bridge and having faith that it wont give way beneath your feet.

edit: spelling.
  8. Hsing Moderator

Buzz: :) Myriads, sure. But at least I can grasp them.

Mal's example shows another subtle difference to the German word "Glaube". "Der Glaube" would, in most cases, be had in some religious context. A German would trust in the bridges ability to carry his weight, or just hope it does, but not have faith in it.

Edit. Some wording...
  9. Maljonic Administrator

Can you have faith in yourself, in German I mean?
  10. Hsing Moderator

You can believe in yourself. It's a fitting noun close to "faith" we lack in this case.
  11. Maljonic Administrator

So you can't sing:

"I've got faith....I've got faith....I've got faith of the heart."? :)
  12. Hsing Moderator

You may... People would assume you're a member of the Salvation Army, though. :)
  13. Maljonic Administrator

Oh, I was hoping they might think I'm a trans-galactic trail blazer. :)
  14. Angua_rox New Member

Wow. How to photograph faith. . . . Hmmmmmm.

#wanders off and ponders#
  15. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Only 24 days to go and I'm still running around like a headless chicken...but I have faith! :)
    I just can't work out the shots yet.
  16. jarmara New Member

Can I play?

This is how I spent my Hogmanay -

[IMG][/img]
  17. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

After careful thought, the best I could come up with for the subject was, the tried and tested, religious symbology.
    I am going to have faith in this monochrome offering of Durham Cathedral.
    I took several shots in colour as well, and although this one was slightly over-exposed I thought it had a certain something about it once I'd cropped it to size.

[IMG]
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Very stark and imposing.
  19. Maljonic Administrator

Looks kind of terrifying, I blame those Omen movies.
  20. KaptenKaries New Member

It's the church... of DOOM!
  21. Dane New Member

[IMG]

ok so this one was actually taken by a friend, but it was my camera. This is about the faith of friendship, i put a lot of trust and faith in them and a lot of them do the same with me which is why i choose this picture. also as you can tell we're a bunch of missfits, so i think this adds to the faith thing.

P.S. I'm the one being held like a baby, the photo before that had me holding him :lol:
  22. Electric_Man Templar

Well, this was a tricky one because I really had no idea what to depict, something religious went through my mind, but I couldn't think of a non-obvious way to do it, then Joculator stole it anyway...

So I got to thinking about different types of faith, what do we really have faith in?

Some people have faith in God (or other religious entities), but what if you're not religious?

Some have faith in their family and friends, but what if you're a hermit?

Some have faith in themselves, but what if you're really insecure?

Some have faith in the next meal, but what if your crops are ruined by a bad winter?

So what's left? Well, quite a lot - but one of the big things that is left is water. Everyone needs water. It's kind of a requisite for life. On this planet anyway.

But what if you don't come from this planet?

Well, Plaid, you can imagine my picture is of something else you need.

And so we come to the picture. What do we have in all our houses, that we trust will always work?

Well there's the floor - but not very photogenic.

So I settled on the water supply. Heat may come and go, but the water is always on. Whenever you turn the faucet, you just trust that water will come through. You barely think about it.

You have a blind faith that water will appear.

If it should ever stop, you'll soon be praying for it to appear again.

So here it is, after much introduction, my entry into the contest:

[IMG]

And yes, the tap is also incredibly dirty and limescale ridden. I really had no idea it was so bad until I took that picture, I don't look under it very much. Yet the tap still works!
    I'll break out the cleaning fluids tomorrow.
  23. TamyraMcG Active Member

Tuesday my water didn't appear. It was frozen in my pipes. I had my nephew put a new frostproofing tape on them and still no water, that night I hauled in some water from my hydrant for the most critical needs and thought about how long the winter would seem if I had to do that all the time. After work I hurried to check on my well and there it was, the valve had been turned off, when he put the wrapping on the pipes he forgot to turn the valve back to the on position. I had water!!
  24. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hey, nice drops there Ben, good pic and a good thought process too...

Gah, I really need to get snapping on this !
  25. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Really good idea, Ben! And nice picture as well. :)
  26. plaid New Member

[IMG]

my sister, i think, made this little clay pig with wings. i took this picture of it on top of my brother's bible and in front of a mirror. so there it is. flying pigs, a bible, and a few random ties to my silly family. if that doesn't embody faith in some fashion, i have no idea what does.
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Like it, Plaid. :)
  28. jarmara New Member

I should probably explain mine huh?

It's a tradition in a town not far from where i grew up, every Hogmanay people of the town make chickenwire cages full of various flammable things and attach a long wire rope. At the stroke of midnight the fireballs are lit and swung by hand through the town's streets before being flung into the harbour. The local belief is that this dates back to pagan times and is a ceremony meant to get rid of the previous year's bad luck.

It's a representation of faith to me because for one night every year a whole town gathers together whatever the weather to preserve a bit of folk history. Everyone believes in the Fireballs, it's a hell of a show.
  29. Wow, jarmara!! I liked the picture when you first posted it, but I had no clue as to what was going on. What a cool tradition!

As for everyone else's pics, all awesome representations of faith, you guys. Kat, this is great topic and I have loved the challenge of trying to come up with something for it.

I have been thinking and thinking of what I could take a picture of for 'faith' and I finally thought of something. Just yesterday! Now, I'm just having a hard time finding it!! I still have a few days though, so this weekend I'm going on my quest to photograph faith. :)
    I hope to post it on Monday if not sooner. That's not too late is it?
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

Nope, monday isn't too late, and a good job too :D I have taken a couple of pictures, but they're not what I wanted... I'll work on it a bit more this weekend...
  31. Maljonic Administrator

I'm going to try and get a picture in for this before it's too late. I have something in mind but I need to catch them at it... :)
  32. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ok, well, here's my entry... I must admit for a theme I came up with myself, I have had to think about it a lot before having a decent idea !

[IMG]

So here's the explanation : I thought of a lot of things we can have faith in, religion, nature, our children, all sorts of things. For me faith means believing in something you can't see, something of which you have no scientific proof of its existence*... And I wondered what I have the most faith in. And I guess it's love.

These are our wedding rings on the bathroom shelf.

*Is this English ?
  33. Maljonic Administrator

Great picture Katcal, you can get the idea without the explanation even.
  34. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Lovely picture Kat...it's really, um, rich.
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Worrisome...

Kat, great picture! As Mal said, it doesn't need any explanation to convey the concept. Faith can also be taken in the sense of 'keeping faith', which the wedding rings certainly represent with the idea of eternity that they are meant to represent.

I love these competitions and the pictures/ideas people come up with for them.
  36. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

A good picture to 'reflect on' and yet another subject that looks good in monochrome.

I wonder if 'black & white' photography will catch on? :)
  37. fairyliquid New Member

I was trying to come up with something I had a lot of faith in, something that meant a lot to me and that kept me going. Something I could look to for help to escape from the every day.

I wondered what I had faith would always exist to help guide me....and the answer seemed so blatantly obvious. I sit down every day and look at them, escape in them, and become immersed within them. I have faith that when I open one it will give me something, be it philosophical or purely fun.

I was reading this book called 'an angel at my table' by Janet Frame in which she said, 'The most magical word to me was still Imagination, a glittering noble word never failing to create its own inner light.'

I have faith in the imagination, and I have faith of finding that imagination through literature.

[IMG]
  38. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

What I really like in that shot is that the books could be anything - good idea, taking a photo of the pages, not the spines!
  39. KaptenKaries New Member

By Loke's pinky, you have huge rings! I could fit my thumb in there!

*pictures a giant prehistoric cave-bunny*
  40. fairyliquid New Member

Either a cool idea or I just don't want to admit some of the things in my bookcase ;)
  41. Katcal I Aten't French !

It is a close up, KK :D The funny thing is that Reg being smaller and skinnier than me, he has the small thin fingers and I have the long thick (not pudgy !!) fingers, so mine is the bigger of the two rings... It was quite funny when we ordered them, and they handed Reg's to me and vice versa :D
  42. sampanna New Member

I hope I'm not too late. Life has been rather hectic of late ..
    Here's my entry:
    [IMG]

It may look like the usual faith in the gods stuff .. but it isn't. This statue really shows the faith one should have in oneself. The ten-headed person (you can see only 5 here) is lifting up Mount Kailasa, the abode of Lord Shiva - the destroyer in our trinity. Challenging the gods - faith can move mountains :)
  43. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I've found it really hard to pick a picture for this month....

[IMG]
  44. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Two more great pictures! Evidently black and white is the in thing for contemplative pictures!
  45. Okay I know I'm late, (I'm sorry) but I have a couple of really good excuses.
    1. I could not find what I wanted to take a picture of. The Hubby and I were laughing about how when you want to find something its never around, but when you're no longer looking for it, there are plenty of examples. *sigh*
    2. My work computer decided not to recognize my camera. :x
    So here is my picture of 'faith'
    [IMG]
    This is me in my hubby's mustang. Notice the safety belt. It does not retract, so basically, I have just a lap belt, minus the shoulder harness.
    With our 30 minute commute on the busy freeway, I figure I have a lot of 'faith' in my husband to be alert enough to avoid any accidents. :D
  46. KaptenKaries New Member

Get a new seatbelt! :shock:
  47. Katcal I Aten't French !

That was exactly my reaction ! :shock: Even more so with a criblizard on the way, but all the same, it's not just faith in your husband's skill it's the faith in everyone else not doing something stupid either... Get it fixed Anj !! :oops:
  48. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

No seat belt? Scary!
    More scary is the UK laws. Instead of designing a proper seatbelt for expectant women, they simply say they needn't wear one at all if it feels uncomfortable. How safe is that? :shock:
  49. Maljonic Administrator

This is one of many almost toppling rocks at Brimham Rocks in Nidderdale in Yorkshire. The people who walk around them and on them have faith that they wont topple over, even though they obviously will one day... could be soon, tomorrow or in a thousand more years. This rock is about the size of a three storey house.
    [IMG]
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

Rocks rock ! :D
  51. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

What about pregnant women? ;) Anj, I'm glad your husband's a good driver! Even so, I nearly had a heart attack at the thought of you driving around with so little protection.

Mal, that rock is amazing. I can't quite get the idea of its size in my head.
  52. Whoa, I didn't mean to freak you guys out! I'm sorry. Really, the lap belt part still works properly, so I do have at least some protection. *Hugs* I do appreciate your concern, though.
    We are in the process of buying a newer vehicle, hopefully by the end of this weekend. We generally take my truck, in which the safety belts all work properly and has airbags, but the clutch recently went out on it so we have been forced to take the 'stang.
    Joculator, that is pretty scarey! I don't feel right if I don't have a seat belt on, even if I'm riding in the back. Really, standard seatbelts are not terribly uncomfortable for preggo ladies, once you figure out where to place it. :lol:
    That is an awesome rock, Mal! I don't know if I would be brave enough to walk under it or even on it, though. Those people are brave.
  53. Hsing Moderator

From some point on - the belly keeps it in place. :p
  54. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Just wondering but... shouldn't we be voting about now?

-+- Douses Katcal with a garlic cheese dip as subtle reminder :D -+-
  55. fairyliquid New Member

Oi! someone start the voting

pretty please :)