Photo Competition II, November 2006

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Maljonic, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Maljonic Administrator

The Second Photo Competition theme is 'Connection'

Rules*

- Photographs must be taken by you - no nicking them off the Web
    - Photos must be taken specifically for the contest - get out there and get snapping!
    - One picture per person.
    - No excessive digital manipulation (i.e. adding a more dramatic sky from another photo to your picture). Playing with levels, saturation etc is ok though.
    - Equipment: Anything goes as long as the results can be seen from here.
    - Voting takes place when the contest closes.
    - The winner of the contest gets to choose the next subject.
    - Late entries will not be included in the voting.

This is open to anyone and the more people the better. Even if you don't want to take pictures, I'm sure all the contestants would appreciate your comments.

The competition starts as of now and will end on December 1st

*reborrowed from Rincewind's original, mysterious source.
  2. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Nice Theme.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hmmm... **scratches head thinking about the new theme**

Hey Hubby, go stick your fingers in that plug again, it's for a photo competition... :snakeman:
  4. spiky Bar Wench

Will try to do better this time round after my dismal showing last time :)
  5. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I'm already finding it tricky to think if things. Curse you Mal!

....Couldn't you say Womens changing rooms from bushes, I have loads of pictu- Oh Wait... I've said to much.
  6. Hsing Moderator

:D :D :D

...my problem is rather that the ideas I have seem to trivial for my own taste...
  7. Maljonic Administrator

Well as long as you don't do the obvious: chains, knots, people holding hands or some kind of electrical appliance or wiring everything should be fine and easy. :)
  8. Andalusian New Member

I think I'll enter this, if I can be bothered to take a photo.
  9. Hsing Moderator

Damn! There go my plans! :p
  10. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I'm thinking of focusing on the connection bewteen air molcules...ZOOM, DAMN YOU CAMERA, ZOOM!
  11. Hsing Moderator

And my idea were two hands holding each other, tied by a chain with knotted ends, which ended in a plug. Curse Mal.
  12. Rincewind Number One Doorman

That's real passion.... ;)
  13. Maljonic Administrator

It's a pity too, that really would have been a sight to see. :)
  14. spiky Bar Wench

Here is my boyfriend adopting a magpie as a pet... Or alternatively here is a magpie using my boyfriend for food.

[IMG]
  15. Maljonic Administrator

He looks like a very nice man, but is that magpie vigorously shaking it's head, "NO!"?
  16. spiky Bar Wench

No it had just whipped off with the food Dave was holding... there is food somewhere in the blur... Its a bloody quick bird when it comes to food.
  17. plaid New Member

this here is the intersection of J highway and highway 36

[IMG]
  18. This is my brother and sister in law, making one of their first "connections" as husband and wife. :lol:
    [IMG]
  19. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

It looks like she's slapping him in the face with the cake. Food fight!
  20. sampanna New Member

Here is my entry. There is a connection there. I'm sure. :)

[IMG]
  21. KaptenKaries New Member

Shurely, the shign should read

JAMESH BOND
    DRY CLEANERSH
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well... I have had several photos in mind since the beginning of the connection theme, and I have spent ages wondering which one would be best suited and of course prettiest... Oh well, here goes, I chose this one because the other one I really liked was a bit like somethingclever's as in human connections... So here are spider web connections, daintily clad in their morning coat of dew (just outside my office door... yes that does rather ruin the romance doesn't it ! Ok, consider I hiked up a really high mountain just to take this shot then. In a frilly lace nightgown. On a white horse.)

[IMG]
  23. Maljonic Administrator

Nice one Katcal. :)
  24. Cynical_Youth New Member

That is a beautiful photo.
  25. Hsing Moderator

Yes it is!
    I seem to remember you mentioned it elsewhere, but still... which camera(s) are you using?
  26. Maljonic Administrator

Oh, I would say Katcal may be using a Canon EOS 350D...

Here's my picture before I miss my own deadline:

[IMG]
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Mal, what the hell is that?
  28. Hsing Moderator

A giant death ray pointing into space! Take that, ET!
  29. KaptenKaries New Member

That picture is truly beautiful, Kat.

Mal, that must be one of the funkiest turrets (?) I've ever seen.
  30. fairyliquid New Member

Wow katcal, love that photo.

mines is sadly unimaginative...and rather bizzare

[IMG]

I haven't quite decided what drove me to take that photo...but there you go...
  31. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Katcal, I meant to say, that picture is pretty darned stunning.

Fairyliquid, I really like the muted colours in yours, although my reaction to the spider did make Garner say, "Oh good grief."
  32. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Loverly, picture kat!

Here is my entry. It's was taken on my mystery holiday to finland.

[IMG]

Sorry it's so massive. I'm at work and can't resize.
  33. KaptenKaries New Member

Ah that picture brings me calm, Rinso. I guess I love the Scandinavian climate. When was it taken?
  34. Rincewind Number One Doorman

About 3 weeks ago. It was lovely there. It's a pity there are other people on the road.
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

That's a great picture, Rinso!
  36. Maljonic Administrator

I agree, another nice picture Rinso.

By the way my picture is a sophisticated weather station/lightning conductor that sits atop St John's College, Cambridge.
  37. Rincewind Number One Doorman

38. Electric_Man Templar

Well, I don't think I can really compete with the other pictures in this thread, but I'll supply a picture anyway. This is (part of) my wall at home:

[IMG]

The shrinking done by my work software hasn't been very kind to the picture, so I'm going to supply a link to the full size photo (note: 1.5MB file) until I get a chance to do a better shrink.

edit: ok, geocities is stingy, i'll leave it as it is, then try and get abetter shrink later - i guess the pic will be invisible for about an hour or so[/s]

edit2: thanks to Sam, who has superior software editing stuff and must have the luckiest husband in the world... (Sam loves the banter, really)
  39. jaccairn New Member

I can't see anything Ben (shrunken or linked). Geocities says that you have exceeded you data transfer limit :shock:
  40. sampanna New Member

Clearly I didn't kick you hard enough. Still, I know where you live.
  41. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Over the past few years my morris side have developed a habit of dancing on the Solstice sunrise out on the moors near Durham. (Almost the dark Morris :) ) The reason is simple... there's a country tavern nearby that does a damn good breakfast. I was out today setting up the arrangements and stopped to admire the sunset. This is it! Although I've tried several times to capture the mood, I think this is my best attempt to date.
    For the technically minded I used a FUJI FinePix F700 camera with a 6.1Mb resolution. Photo was simply cropped in Photoshop.
    I admit I did cheat a little. The "obelisk" is only 30cm high and it was pretty uncomfortable lying flat on the ground to take the picture.

[IMG]
  42. Delphine New Member

Wow. I love it. :)
  43. Rincewind Number One Doorman

44. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Cool!

Ben, are those postcards from Boardanians?
  45. KaptenKaries New Member

Joculator, that is one of the best pictures of sunrises I've seen. A very beautiful picture. Good job!

Now, the concept of this thread is to take a picture corresponding to a pre-set theme. I think the theme for this particular thread is "Connections".

Of course, it's entirely possible that there is a perfectly good explanation on how your picture illustrates "Connections", and that I'm too simpleminded to understand it.

Anyways, it's always nice to see new members join in on the discussions. Unfortunately, many of the newcomers seem to be rather anonymous (Grace, help me out with the spelling here!).
  46. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

The connection seemed fairly simple at the time... The Solstice connects the old year with the new. OK, I admit, I'm a month early. :)

Ooops (The edited bit) It was sunset tonight just before I got home.
  47. Ozzer New Member

I'm a procrastinator; what can I say.

[IMG]

*edited to remove random tag...
  48. KaptenKaries New Member

Hehe Ozzer that's a picture fit for cuteoverload. :)
  49. Ozzer New Member

It's what my instructor calls the "Ooh, aah" effect--guaranteed positive response to any photo with fluffy animals or cute children. :D
  50. Electric_Man Templar

One is from my sister, but apart from that - yes. I have a postcard border around approximately half of my available wall space (i.e. that which isn't taken up by cupboards, the door or the window). One day, I may have complete coverage.
  51. Hsing Moderator

Is that a cry for another postcard swap? :)
    Beutiful pictures, Jocular and Ozzer!
  52. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Perfect!

Ozzer, very cute indeed!
  53. Hsing Moderator

Has the voting on this begun?
  54. Maljonic Administrator