People, new and old, please introduce yourselves

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Mynona, Aug 21, 2005.

1. peapod_j New Member

hi people

im new and live in bonny scotland which is not so nice at the moment. i have lived here for the past 5 years and i still go to school. i was introduced to the discworld by my mum and dad. my mum has also met pratchett himself and my dads nickname is now the labarian of this world. we have a larger colection of discworld than both my local libarys put together i only have 5 more books from my school libary left to read and im in the middle of small gods which is my 4th favrot my number 1 is thud! then the tiffany books cant wait for the next one does anyone know what it is called?

does anyone have a email address for praechett i want to send him a welsh translason of the first few lines of thud!

thank you

peapod
  2. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Peapod

A number of our members don't have English as a first language, or suffer from dyslexia* to make life easier for them we encourage use of proper English 'PPL' might be a common sense abberivation for you but will make no sense for them. Please refrain from using them in the future. For same reason the We do not use Leet speak here either. EVER. Thanks.

*One of our members suffers from dyslexia and extreme attractiveness.
  3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Peapod! Welcome to the boards. :) As Rinso says, we like everyone to use proper written English to help everyone understand each other and to respect Terry Pratchett, whose writing is the reason we're all here.

I do have Pterry's email address saved at home, but right now I'm at work. I'll look for it later on.
  4. sampanna New Member

Needless to say, it isn't Rinso.
  5. colonesque10 New Member

I think it is probably Rinso, Sam. But he spelt attractiveness wrong, it obvioulsy should have been un-attractiveness. :)
  6. peapod_j New Member

hi

i just had a look at the new messages sory about my slang but as you can now see i have ceracted it. i also have dislexia and dixpraxia which is why my spelling is so bad thank you Mrs G for finding me TPrachets E-mail and i dont think any of his books have ben translated in to welsh before. welsh is my second language as i was born there and moving back to study so i cand of have to learn it :?

sory again about my slang i will try not to do it again :)
  7. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Oh you both go to hell. The hell for the jealous.
  8. Bob New Member

Unhappy Bob appears to have run away with your avatar :)

~B:wink:B~
  9. Rincewind Number One Doorman

10. toadinnahole New Member

1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    registered just after breakfast

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    Female, and I personally am not confused over this

3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?
    I'm thinking of a number between 30 and 40, whoever guesses correctly will be lied to, of course I'm not that old. Central Pennsylvania, in the beautiful Appalachian mountains, in the USA.

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)
    I do not, I don't think footnotes work well on the screen (words would be much too tiny for me to read)

5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    Started with "Good Omens" and from there read both Pratchett and Gaiman

6) what's your personal quote of the day?
    As I said to my daughter as she got out of the car for school "Remember you are wearing a dress today, squat don't bend."
  11. sleepy_sarge New Member

Welcome toadinnahole!

Your breakfasts sound infinitely better than mine!
  12. colonesque10 New Member

Welcome toadinahole :)

I must admit i've never had toad in the hole for breakfast or any sort of small amphibian in yorkshire pudding come to think of it.
  13. toadinnahole New Member

I'm fairly sure what my kids call "toad in a hole" is somewhat different from what you brits make. In our house it refers to a an egg fried in the middle of a buttered piece of bread with a piece of cheese melted on top.

I believe you all eat something called "spotted dick" as well, so those who live in glass houses, etc... ;)
  14. Hsing Moderator

I am, though,* mainly because of your avatar (which somehow seems familiar to me...) :D

Anyways, welcome, toadinnahole!

*About your gender, not mine, of course.
  15. Pixel New Member

OK, strictly speaking, the Brit version is "Toad in the Hole" - it is one or more sausages (and I mean proper British sausages - plenty of bread or other cereal products mixed in - none of this European rubbish where the whole thing is a bland pink slab of meat!) in a Yorkshire pudding - basically fat, flour, egg and milk - whisked up and baked in the oven - preferably served with a nice meaty gravy.

And there is nothing funny about Spotted Dick - a good solid suet pudding with currants or raisins in it (hence the "spotted") - these are foods that really satisfy - I'm making myself feel homesick here in Brussels just typing this!
  16. sampanna New Member

Reminds me of "The Fifth Elephant", where Vimes cannot recognize a sausage (I think) because it's just meat .. no crunchy bits, no pieces you hope you don't recognize but swallow anyway etc. :)

As for not finding anything funny in the name "Spotted Dick", well, why not "Spotted Tom" then? It's just that the inventor of the dish had a bad sense of humour :)
  17. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I don't think sense of humour came into it - the dish was named donkey's years ago, long before anyone in Britain was aware of a certain piece of American slang!
  18. Gypsy New Member

1) When I was asked for a screenname on a message board years ago, i was wearing a top with a gypsywoman made of beads on it and i thought Gypsy was cool. Since then it's stuck and i always wanted to be a gypsy anyways :p

2)Female (Last time i checked)

3) 21 Living in Perth, Western Australia
    (I've travelled a fair bit and moved around a lot but it's beautiful here, you should all come visit)

4) I'm hopeful yet not optimistic.
    Providing some hollywood clone of a director doesn't go ahead with it there may just be some slim....miniscule....teensy......microscopic chance that someone will be able to encapsulate the essence of Discworld in film.

As for casting......

Just Kidding, I value my life. Put-the-rifle-Down.

5) 'An idea isn't responsible for the people who believe in it'
    -Anon.

P.S. Hello everyone.
    (Long time no see for those who've migrated from TPBooks).

Edited to punish naughty typo.
  19. Hsing Moderator

Hi Gypsy! :)
  20. Maljonic Administrator

Hi Gypsy. I wonder, why do so many people add 'last time I checked' to the gender question? :)
  21. Bob New Member

It kinda implies that at least one time that they checked, they were surprised.. ;)

22. Gypsy New Member

Thankyou for that vote of confidence BoB...

Hsing-I think it's an attempt at beign funny.

Shame how unoriginal we can all be.
    I think a lot of people (me included) think that if they say something they find funny, they think that they must have created it.

:D
  23. Spidah New Member

Hi everyone, Spidah here. Obviously, seen as that is what the name says. Although I was nearly Binky, but unsurprisingly someone beat me to it. :p

1) I'm Spidah coz I used to have pink dreadlocks that were like spider-legs.

2) Female. Most definitely. Breasts n' everything to prove it too.

3) 24 and currently living in the UK

4) No

5) Someone forced me to read 'Good Omens' and away I went.....

6) See my sig

Now, let's see, did the avatar work?

24. toadinnahole New Member

and if it dosen't get a laugh, we REPEAT it... because obviously, if you had heard us, you would have laughed, right?

My grandpa told my sisters and I that if we kissed our elbow we would turn into a boy. try it.
  25. sampanna New Member

Hey, if you are in a group, and about to say something funny, the standard protocol is to raise your hand. Everyone knows they are supposed to laugh then :).
  26. Rincewind Number One Doorman

howdy Spidah!

Just a quick note, We try to avoid moving avatars here becuase alotta members have slow connections and it messes up the loading time for them. Also I found your pink lettering super hard to read, might be easier if you just use black or something.
  27. fairyliquid New Member

Hi spidah and gypsy (i know youve been here a wee while now but decided to say hi anyway)

oh and spidah seems to have broken the 'last time I checked' trend...
  28. davobanavo New Member

It works too! Wait a second...
  29. Spidah New Member

*Is suitably reprimanded*

Sowwwy...

Maybe second time lucky for me...?!

:oops:
  30. Maljonic Administrator

Hi Spidah. :)
  31. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Thanks for that spidah. :)

And It's good that you broke the trend, how *you* can be the cool and orginal trend setter!
  32. BadAnnie New Member

Well, it sounds like a very Morporkian nickname and its also the name I would use if I was a kick-ass comic book villain. Mwaahaha

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)

The last time I checked I was a female.

I am 23 years old and live in the Southern Hemisphere on the continent of Africa. South Africa to be exact. But in my head I live in Lancre or sometimes Middle Earth.

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

Um, I dont think it would live up to my expectations. I mean come on! Look what they did with Constantine!

5) Who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?

When I was in High School, the substitute English teacher was reading Eric instead of teaching us so I thought Id see what the fuss was about.

6) What's your personal quote of the day?

Sorry, what did you say again, I stopped listening five minutes ago.

7) Who's your favorite author (F/M) besides Pratchett

OMG what a question! - Robert Rankin, Robin Hobb, JRR Tolkien, JK Rowling, Douglas Adams, Anne Rice. Fantasy is in my blood.
  33. Smoking_GNU New Member

Guess wo started the chain again. And spidah did so well in breaking it too... :D
  34. KaptenKaries New Member

Hello everyone, found an old email about this in my inbox. I was active a couple of months in the old forums way back when.

With lack of inspiration right now I'll jump right on to the questions.

- What formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?

Firstly I'd like to say I'm not that familiar with the expression "motivational impetus", but if it means what I think it means here's how I got to use Kapten Karies as my handle (the board wouldn't let me register "Kapten Karies", so it's "KaptenKaries" here).

A long time ago when I was a young teenager my mother got one of those pet rabbits. I'm not sure what the breed is called, but it was one of those small brown ones with the ears hanging down. She was not sure what to call the pet rabbit and asked us others in the family for name suggestions.

One of those inspiration molecules must have hit my head for I instantly uttered "You must name him Kapten Karies". This might need some explanation. Kapten Karies is swedish for Captain Caries, Caries being the scientific name of cavities in your teeth. I figured a rabbit having big teeth, this guy must be a cavities magnet.

My mother instantly rejected the idea, and I later ended up using it when registering my ICQ. From then it stuck as my handle.

So what happened to the rabbit? My second name suggestion for the rabbit was accepted. He was named Radar, for his big ears. He was one of the sweetest rodents I've ever had the pleasure of knowing, and silently passed away three years ago or so. As is the swedish custom (at least in my hedonist family), he was buried under a small cairn we raised in a foresty slope at my parents' house.

- Are you male or female?

I'm male.

- What age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?

I was born in 1980 here in Stockholm, Sweden, where I've lived my entire life so far. Relatives on my mother's side have done some genealogy and it seems I have mostly vallon and viking blood in my veins.

- Do you have good faith that a discworld movie could be done well enough not to suck?

I had some doubts about the LOTR films before I went to see them. They ended up fairly good in my opinion. I don't think it's impossible to film an enjoyeable discworld movie, but I think it's pretty hard to get it right.

- Who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?

A friend in my gymnasium class (that's high school for you Americans out there) borrowed me Colour of Magic and I really enjoyed it. After that it took me about a year or so to buy and read all the other Pratchett books published at the time. I've made sure to buy all the other books as they've been published. Men at Arms, Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic are the only books I've read both in Swedish and English, all the other books I've read in English. The humour is still there when you read the books in Swedish, but something gets lost in the translation.

- What's your personal quote of the day?

Frank Zappa said "You ain't got no friends, and all the others they hate'cha!" in the song Stinkfoot from the album Apostrophe ('). I like that line.
  35. Lulilul New Member

Hello!

My name is Lucy. People (well, a person) calls me Luli. Lulilul Is Luli, plus Luli backwards. Or something. Clever, eh? No? Fair enough.

Female.

I'm 17 and I live in Australia.

I'm sure it wouldn't suck, as such, but I tend to be disappointed with books made into movies because the characters never look like I want them to.

5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    I'm very very new to Discworld; I'd heard about the series and wanted to read it, so I went to the local bookshop a few weeks ago and, because they didn't seem to be in any order on the shelf, chose one at random (The Fifth Elephant.) Fell in love with it completely and have since read Night Watch (borrowed from library) and The Colour of Magic (bought from the fantastic new TWO STOREY bookshop that just opened here.)
    And that's that.

6) what's your personal quote of the day?
    And then I poured the milk.
  36. sampanna New Member

Welcome aboard KaptenKaries and Lulilul! Lulilul .. hmm .. it's a bit like spelling banana - you never know where to stop :)

I've heard this in Minnesota a lot .. for example, can you borrow me some money? It should be lend, since I borrow, but you lend. Is this some Swedish-English thing? I ask because a lot of Minnesotans are originally Scandinavian .. and I only observed this in Minnesota really.
  37. KaptenKaries New Member

I never realised that, but yes, most likely its a Swenglish expression. Probably because borrow and lend both translates into låna in Swedish.

Jag lånar dig en bok. I lend you a book.
    Jag lånade dig en bok förra fredagen. I lended you a book last friday.
    Du lånar en bok av mig. You borrow a book from me.
    Du lånade en bok av mig förra fredagen. You borrowed a book from me last friday.
    Sluta prata svenska, jag förstår inte vad du säger! Stop speaking Swedish, I can't understand what you're saying!

In other words, we make no distinction between being on the giving or recieving end of a temporary transaction of property. :)

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to sharpen up my english in future posts.
  38. sampanna New Member

Hey, it wasn't criticism, just curiosity. We can't all be Buzzfloyd when it comes to grammar :)
  39. KaptenKaries New Member

No worries. Talking about other people, the only one I remember from the old boards is Garner (hello!), but it was a couple of years ago so I'm sure there are others from that time here as well, I just don't remember the names.
  40. Delphine New Member

Hi KaptenKaries, I vaguely remember seeing your name before... very vaguely. I like Frank Zappa as well, but he had dodgy taste when it came to naming his kids!

And Lulilul, the word you were after in the first point was palindrome. Hi. :)
  41. KaptenKaries New Member

There is a Zappa quote for everything. "People make a lot of fuss about my kids having such supposedly strange names, but the fact is that no matter what first names I might have given them, it is the last name that is going to get them in trouble."

I do agree with you though. A bit. But I think Moonunit is a beautiful name.

Anyways, thanks for remembering me. :)
  42. Maljonic Administrator

Hello KaptenKaries. :)
  43. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Zappa ruled man. I loved when he was questioned by the House about his kids.
  44. Trollmother New Member

Hello again Kapten, now we Swedes can almost build a colony here, we have Mynona here too. I also have problem with borrow and lend, I must think of the Borrowers to remember which is which.
  45. Maljonic Administrator

A few people around areas of Yorkshire (where I live) often mix the two up, local dialects around these parts are heavily influenced by Nordic language due to Viking invasions and whatnot. :)
  46. KaptenKaries New Member

Why hello there, I remember you as well, now I see your screenname. How's life been?

Vikings for the win! ;-)
  47. Bob New Member

Is that why a lot of people in Yorkshire say that.. I did wonder.
    Also a lot of people say "itching my arm" instead of "scratching my arm" maybe this is for similar reason ?

Greetings, new people.. :cooler:

48. KaptenKaries New Member

Sounds like typical Swenglish to me.
  49. roisindubh211 New Member

people do that in Ireland too- I only recently figured out that the reason my dad makes no distinction between "hand" and "arm" is because Gaelic has no word that just means hand.

Welcome everybody!
  50. Trollmother New Member

Bad and good. My daughter died this summer, but life goes on anyway. I work very much, then I don't have to think so much. I teach Sv2 (Swedish as second language) and am head of the ITC tuition in our schools.
  51. KaptenKaries New Member

I'm so sorry to hear that, Trollmother. I don't know what to say really. I don't think I really can relate to it, I'm not a father and of my close relatives I've only lost my granddad so far. I can't say anything you don't know already. I'm truly sorry. :-(

How old are the kids you teach, and what is ITC? I considered becoming a music teacher a couple of years ago, but I don't think I could handle kids yelling and playing and not paying attention. Teenagers in large quantities scare me. :)
  52. Trollmother New Member

You are not much more than a teenager yourself :) My youngest daughter is as old as you, and she too says that teenagers are scary, she prefers old ladies! She studies lingustics at Stockholm university and lives in Kista. Poor you who have to live in big cities. And I can't spell, I mean ICT. My pupils are from 7 years to 16.
  53. KaptenKaries New Member

I think it would take a lot of will and time to make me comfortable in a small town or in the countryside. I guess its all about what you're used to.

Just to give you an idea of how cityish I am, here's a little story. When I was six or seven I still believed all roads were made of asphalt. I though dirt roads and gravel roads were just ordinary asphalt roads that hadn't been cleaned in a while. I think there is an urban myth travelling around Bergslagen (an old mining and industry region west of Stockholm) that sprung from when me and my family visited friends there, and I sat down on their dirt road with a small spade to "dig to the asphalt".

Linguistics sounds fun, but I can't say I know exactly what it's about. Something with languages I guess. I'd like to get a chance to pick up French again, but I don't think I have the time.

Old ladies can be scary too, sometimes. Weatherwax would scare me but I would feel right at home with Ogg.
  54. pmsurrey New Member

Hi, this is my first message. If I make any mistakes please forgive me.

I am a Female

Well over 21, I mean really well over. I live in Brooklyn NY

No. there is no way any actor could do justice to any of the charators I know and love.

From the first book I read which I believe was the first book to come to America.

PS, I like the Harry Potter books but think Terry should have won the Quill Award.
  55. Hsing Moderator

Welcome pmsurrey!
    You're not the only one over 21, by the way. We have the whole spectre of age groups from under 16 to over 60, it seems. :)
  56. colonesque10 New Member

Welcome all new people! :)

Please drive carefully through our little village and avoid all old pedestrians. :cooler:
  57. Bob New Member

I thought it was 500 points for an old woman ?

58. Maljonic Administrator

Hi, I am also well over 21; my in-laws live in Brooklyn NY. :)
  59. Electric_Man Templar

As long as the old woman is on one of those buggy type things and not a pedestrian, yes.
  60. colonesque10 New Member

It is, although I don't want all the newbies getting the points that I can have for myslelf. :)