People, new and old, please introduce yourselves

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Mynona, Aug 21, 2005.

1. QuothTheRaven New Member

Ya! I am not the only person in the US Pacific Timezone anymore.
  2. Mady New Member

Hey, my grandma lives in Napa!
    (Not that's really relevant to anything or that you should know her, I just thought I should mention it.)
  3. Venerico New Member

1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?

It's part of my pseudonim: Venerico de la Fuerro Rossa

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)

Male

3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?

I maybe look young, but (as some people who know me may say) I was born old.
    As you can see: Middle of Nowhere

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

I'm not so shure in that idea.

5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?

I was just sniffin' around and I run on to "Equal rites", so I got addicted ... well you all know the rest of the story.

6) what's your personal quote of the day?

If you all ARE normal, then I am Queen of England (No offence to the Queen)

I would like to add, that I was on old message board.
  4. mowgli New Member

Welcome, Venerico. Don't worry, I don't think think anyone here is normal. So don't go putting your face on any money just yet... :)

Edited for a type
  5. Zisteau New Member

Soooo....new here. I've read all the discworld books...yadda yadda...
  6. fairyliquid New Member

Zisteau, you could always answer the lovely questions someone (can't quite remember who) spent hours writing (okay a few minutes) on the first page :D It's more curtesy than anything else.
  7. Garner Great God and Founding Father

*Shrug* maybe there isn't anything more to him than he's a newbie who read discworld.

Nice avatar, Zisteau. hope you enjoy the place
  8. Pixel New Member

I originally wanted to use Greebo on the old board, but someone was already using it, so I went for another fictional cat - Robert Heinlein's "Cat Who Walks Through Walls" (It was a 50-50 choice between Pixel and Petronius the Arbiter (Pete) from "The Door Into Summer")

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    Male

56, originally from London, but living in Brussels, Belgium for the last 28 years.

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)
    Only if PTerry was totally involved throughout, but this would have the disadvantage of leaving him with less time to write more books.

An office colleague lent me Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic about twenty years ago, and I was hooked.

If at first you don't succeed, you're probably hitting it with the wrong sized spanner.
  9. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Good ole Pete... i think he's one of my favorite of Heinlein's cats. though I did enjoy the description of Random Numbers.
  10. Dane New Member

it's my name....

male

15 and manchester, england

No, I think that it would be much better and more seccesful and a tv series

a couple of years ago i went into the libary and saw the truth sitting there looking pretty, it looked pretty so i picked it and have been a Pterry fan sinse

dunno
  11. mowgli New Member

"Manchester, England England.. Across the Atlantic Sea..." :)
  12. Writon New Member

1) What formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    I jumbled letter up until I got a combination I liked. Iuse this name for everything online now.

Male.

3) What age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?

Between 15 and 20. England.

4) Do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

I could but if it was meant to be realistic the special effect budget would have to be massive.

5) Who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?

I liked the look of one of the covers, so I got the book out of the libary. I've been hooked ever since.

6) What's your personal quote of the day?

Red tape holds the nation together.
  13. fairyliquid New Member

I love the quote :D welcome writon...
  14. Marcia Executive Onion

15. Bob New Member

Heh, yes is quite good, lots of pics. I need to get busy with Photoshop if I am to compete with this 'other' Bob.. :)

Start your own church with : Church Sign Generator :)

[IMG]

~B:wink:B~
  16. fairyliquid New Member

shouldn't it be 'sorry, we were wrong'? not 'we were wrong, sorry?'

*shrugs* probably works either way, but mines sounds better :)
  17. janible New Member

Hi, everyone!

It's a combination of my first and last names, mundane but true.

Female 8)

53 years, Ohio, USA

We may be finally getting the CGI ability to pull it off, but I agree that Terry would have to be totally involved in the creative process. Since I need my regular book fix from him, I'm not sure I want him spread so thinly!

I found a copy of Strata about fifteen years ago and enjoyed his humorous SF. Then, when I came across a copy of Wyrd Sisters, he had me thoroughly hooked and addicted!

How about: "You'll never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? 'Hey man, you threw the stick, you go and get it yourself. I'm busy. If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?' " (From another of my guilty pleasures, Red Dwarf)
  18. elphaba New Member

Hi there! This is so weird to be surrounded (well metephorically speaking) by Pratchett fans. I think I've only known about three. Well, maybe four.

1. I got my name from Wicked, by Gregory Maguire. Elphaba is the "Wicked Witch" and she rocks! (well, until she gets water thrown on her by the idiot Dorothy)

2. girl, women, female, whatever...

3. I'm only 15, which kind of sucks some times. I live in America, Home of the Free, Land of the Brave, etc., etc., More specifically, San Fransisco.

4. I think there's about a 15% chance that a Discworld movie could be done well. And I'm not even sure if I have that much hope.

5. I got into Pratchett because my mom gave me the Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents years ago for my B-day. She didn't even know what it was, she just got it because it had a quote on the back of the book that said "Think Tolkien, with a sharper, more satirical edge," or something like that. After that I devoured the rest of Discworld.

6. “There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.”
    (I thought it would be appropriate to insert a TP quote since this is the Terry Pratchett website)
  19. mowgli New Member

Hi Janible, Red Dwarf is likewise one of my guilty pleasures :D.

Hi Elphaba, you're in relatively the same geographical location as my family! (but not me). "Wicked" was an awesome, awesome book, but I don't know if I have the balls to name myself after such a dark and haunted character :)
  20. QuothTheRaven New Member

Another Californian. Pretty soon, we will outnimber the Brits.
  21. QuothTheRaven New Member

Yay, Another Californian. Pretty soon, we will outnimber the Brits.

Oh, and Wicked was great. I perticularly liked liked the scene where Elphaba/Fae/The Witch confronted the Dwarf in the Black Mask.
  22. elphaba New Member

Yeah! Let's go Cali!

Seriously, California is the place to be. And I'm not just saying that. In less then five minutes I log off of this computer to go to a Terry Pratchett booksigning and get Thud! I feel like I'm about to meet my hero or something. I hope I don't do anything retarded.

NOTE: i'm not really a dark person, I just like dark books, and dark characters like elphaba, and sometimes dark movies. But besides that I'm normal. Whatever normal is...
  23. Maljonic Administrator

Hi elphaba, nice to meet you. :)
  24. Rockycog New Member

1) I just made it up because it wasnt something someone had. Rockycog is a screenname i use alot so I used it here so I would remember it. Does anyone remember me from ye olde boardae?

2) Female

3) I am 17, and live in Essex, England

4) Im sure a movie wouldnt suck, but I'd just prefer the books.

5) Found one in the library a million years ago and then I kept on reading them.

6) "I look in the mirror and I don't recognise myself, but no one regonises me here in this new place, so what is the difference?" (because I am a newbie!)

Well, over and out, Rockycog ~
  25. Hsing Moderator

Hi Rockycog, we appreciate everyone from the old board finding her/his way to this one. I am, though, a little curious on how your post on the old board is to be understood:

Just wondering, because it sounds you remember us as, in your own words, a kind of rather... well... "fear"-inducing, smiting bunch. :shock: Which would make me personally wonder why you followed us to the new set up of the old community. Can you clarify in case I got that wrong? Thanks in advance.
  26. Rockycog New Member

I was meerly wondering on how far Ba's power spreads... or indeed how long is the thunderspork.

BASICALLY if the gods were still lingering around the old board or not at all. The fear and smiting thing was just an example of thier power.

I have followed you here to the "board that I can't see" (Unseen) because um? Well I think your all quite a nice bunch, so I came along here.

Does this explain it? I hope so because I am not always that great at explaining things and if I have to do it more than once or twice I end up confusing myself. And then theres no hope of ever understanding it.

Rockycog ~
  27. fairyliquid New Member

Hsing said you posted this on the old boards. The way it is worded it looks as though you don't think of us in a very positive way. 'no longer any fear of smiting' tells us you thought we would act in an unfair way towards you for a comment.

I am begining tp think this is more of a language/translation problem though.
  28. Rockycog New Member

Yeh... I didnt mean to be negative bout you guys...

It is true you do hurt/smite/kill each other quite alot though as is seen in the Tripod comic strip... um I didnt mean it seriously that I was actually scared or glad you had gone or anything. I was just jokin around.

Anyways, sorry....... I hope no offence was taken. And if there was, sorry again!

Rockycog ~
  29. Cynical_Youth New Member

To be honest, I did see that as a joke. Anyway, it's not important since it's all cleared up now.

Hi Rockycog. :)
  30. Hsing Moderator

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks for clearing that up... I miss even 90 per cent of the more obvious jokes.
  31. Rockycog New Member

Glad I cleared it up.

Hi Cynical Youth. :) And hi everyone!!
  32. Rockycog New Member

Hehe I just found this at the bottom of the boards index page. Made me giggle.

"The latest adventurer trying to swim the Great Nef is Rockycog"

(If only I knew what the Great Nef is - a body of water I am thinking but then again you never know).

Anyways, sorry, that is all I wanted to say.

Rockycog ~
  33. QuothTheRaven New Member

Welcome to all new people.
  34. Dane New Member

Hi to everyone thats joined since i last said it! have a merry old time here in eng...these boards!
  35. Quixotic New Member

It's the name I use in a few other places, the name of one of my favourite albums (by Martina Topley Bird) and it fits me!

Female.

24, Hampshire, UK

Anything is possible.

Many moons ago Griff Rhys Jones presented the bookworm show on BBC. I used to watch it fairly religiously. It was on that show that I saw a feature on The Bromeliad Trilogy; I've been a fan ever since.

"Everyone has the right to fail."

(also posted on the TPBooks boards)
  36. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Quixotic. :)
  37. Deathinapinkboa New Member

I've always used it.

Male(I think)

16, Virginia, USA

I wish it were possible...forever I have little faith.

Browsing book shelves

"I was perfect until I got to my self."
  38. fairyliquid New Member

hi Quixotic, hi deathinapinkboa...i love the name!

Hope you enjoy our happy little home on the net
  39. Maljonic Administrator

A matching avatar too! :)
  40. Hsing Moderator

I like both your avatars! Welcome!

Okay, I'll edit some blunt advertising into this post, but it'll be so tiny that you will not notice other than unconciously.
    Deathinapinkboa, if you drew that avatar yourself, you might want to consider taking part here...
    http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/post6752.html#6752
    Also: Aren't you from the old boards too? :)
  41. Ozzer New Member

I'm just a small-time lurker, trying to go straight... :)

1: motivational impetus for screenname:
    Long story short--I get called 'sir' so many times a week at work, it seemed to be the thing to do...

2: gender:
    Female, though sometimes people seem to doubt it.:?

3: age and location:
    nearly 24, Midwest USA (I think I saw a fellow Nebraskan here somewhere...)

4: a discworld movie?
    Gonna have to go with a probably not, though books have been done well in the past. I may change my mind after seeing Chronicles of Narnia.

5: turned on to Discworld:
    Well, about three years ago someone I worked with said, "You've got to read the Discworld novels!" So being the conscientious, linear person I am, I went and bought "Color of Magic." I quit less than thirty pages in. Last winter, I was searching for something to read at the library, and saw their very small selection of Pratchett books, and decided to give it another go. I picked up what they had, read Monstrous Regiment first, and the rest, as they say, is geography.:)

6: quote of the day:
    overheard this conversation:
    "I've figured out there are two kinds of people in the world--"
    "What, dumb and dumber?"

Don't know that I'll be around much. I enjoy reading the posts, but mostly I just want my high scores recorded for "Last Man Standing." :D
  42. Maljonic Administrator

Hi Ozzer, it's nice you made the effort and made at least one post, I think Whitewolf has also only made one then wasted his/her life on the games ever sinse, as has cmotpeter who hasn't posted at all!

Just to be up on them both why not post just one more tiny thing, just a waffer thin post wont do you any harm. :)
  43. goldGOLDgold New Member

1. My screen name... the dwarf song.
    2. Gender... male
    3. Age/location... 16 Sydney Australia
    4. Discworld movie... probably not
    5. Turned on to discworld... I bought the fifth elephant for no particular reason about 3 years ago and thought it was awesome.
    6. Quote of the day?... "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room."
  44. Roman_K New Member

Having new members is good. Consider yourselves greeted.
  45. Maljonic Administrator

Hello goldGOLDgold :)
  46. colonesque10 New Member

Welcome Ozzer, goldGOLDgold, Quixotic and deathinapinkboa. :)

Please enjoy yourselves and if tips ned to be left use VISA, MASTERCARD or SWITCH wherever possible. :D
  47. monkeyman3000 New Member

hi i am emily i am female (obvoiusly) i live in england and i love the terry pratchett books :) :) :) :) :)
  48. Maljonic Administrator

Hi monkeyman3000/emily; isn't your name a bit confusing, monkeyMAN3000 I mean? :)
  49. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Gosh, SWITCH? Does that still exist?
  50. Tabatha New Member

Hi The first question reason for screen name?
    Ans: Could say Bewitched at an early age(series on tv when I was young about witch housewife) :)

2 Male or female?
    Female,But if going through change makes me a man I'm game.

3 Sex and location?
    49 by the skin of my teeth another birthday soon :cry:

4Will they make a D/W film?
    Maybe a way to let the rest of the people know why we love the books.

5How did I start reading Terry pratchett?
    Brother wanted someone to talk to about them,so been loving them ever since.Bit niffed he won toss to read thud first :evil:

6 quote of the day ?
    Just found one and hopeing it is going to be at the bottom of this post if not I've messed up again :roll:

The other question was who would be my next fav author ?
    This a tough one but Terry Brooks, Roger Zelazny Michael Morecroft David Eddings in fact if they got magic their in :D
  51. Tabatha New Member

Darn it why didn't that quote arrive? :? Back to the drawing board.
  52. chesterguy New Member

Finally i have returned ;)

I hope atleast someone will remember me*... I think i only had about 65 posts at the last board or something, but i'm here now.

Always used it i suppose... I've occasionally thought of dropping the "guy" bit at the end as it's abit cheesey but then in being called "Chester" i would in fact be named completely after my home town, which would be a tad strange...

Pretty certain i'm a male

18 (19 next week ;) ) from Chester, UK

I feel it could be done... however it would probably have to be one of the guards series, just set in AM i feel to work... as operating over too much ground would just... not work... perhaps Guards! Guards! or something... However, the other book that i've read that i feel WOULD make a good film, strangely enough, would be moving pictures... However, with the right director and Pterry's guidence, i'm sure any book could be made into a good film.

After finishing my book on holiday in Blackpool in summer 2004 I randomly picked up Men at Arms and have been reading Discworld books ever since...

College tutor: "I've had complaints about you lot from Dan [a tutor], all Chatting, Drinking & Eating Sweets in his lesson... he's new, be nice to him"

Mark: "I offered him a sweet! Surely that was being nice!"

Anyway, i'm back!

* Electric Man should, after our many conversations relating to two of League 2's top 3 teams at the moment, Wycombe and of course the Great Chester City... who incidently enough play each other this Saturday ;)
  53. Electric_Man Templar

Who are you?

Good timing mate, hope you'll enjoy the best attacking football in the league as we bear down on your goal on saturday. You'll also be able to enjoy some shoddy defending from us too...

Welcome back :)
  54. chesterguy New Member

Well we're along the same lines as you in that case, good attack... inconsistent defence ;)

Time to look forward to a 5-5 game then by the looks of it :badgrin:
  55. chesterguy New Member

Wasnt that far off was i? :p
  56. Smoking_GNU New Member

After reading "Going postal" it stuck, and dnow it is my username wherever i go.

2) Are you male or female?

Definitly male. i check every day.

I am currently 19 years old (how wet behind the ears i must be) and studying at the university of Stellenbosch in the Western Cape, South Africa.

Yes i do. But it all depends if they can get the funding (they will need LOTS to get everything right) and if they will be able to convince enought celebs tofeture in the filn (assuming it is not an animation film).

I was conscripted by my sister (also huge TP fan, duh) about 5 years ago.

"just because someone is a member of a ethnic minority (or indeed an ethnic majority) doesnt mean he isin a small, evil minded little twat. This is very true, especially here in the good old RSA.
  57. Maljonic Administrator

Hi Smoking_GNU, just finished Going Postal yesterday, quite like the name myself. :)
  58. colonesque10 New Member

I don't think it does now actually OM. Isn't it MEASTRO or something now, not sure really.

Welcome all newbies. Please wipe feet on way out. :)
  59. bbakag New Member

bbakag = blonde bombshell aka god...

I'm a girly, almost certainly...

I'm 21, live in Swindon Wilts.

I did a play of Wyrd Sisters a few years back, was fabulously entertaining (if I do say so myself) but can't imagine a movie that wouldn't strip the series of a little something special. For me, Discworld's one of those "you had to be there" kind of things.

My dad lent me a copy of Pyramids when I was about 10. That was it for me.

"Mummy's book. Get off." - My boy, said matter-of-factly to his little sister on discovery of her pretending to read The Truth and occasionally laughing out loud, just like mummy!
  60. Hsing Moderator

That's sweet...
    Welcome bbakag!