People, new and old, please introduce yourselves

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Mynona, Aug 21, 2005.

1. wilva New Member

wilva

new to site so thought might be handy to introduce myself (?)
    name:wilva is convergence of my names
    age & location: hurtling towards 38 live in aotearoa/ new zealand
    discworld on screen:no to discworld on the big screen... too much discrepancy between what characters would look like & how i percieve them
    who introduced you to pratchett:have been pratchetting for long time after drunken discussion in a pub about 15 years ago
    quote:
    fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind
  2. wilva New Member

:) is anyone there?
  3. Welcome!
    I am. Sorry I missed you! Welcome to the board, hun!
    I've been here for a while, but I haven't posted much lately. I'm going to try to be better about that. This community is great and I miss the camaraderie of it all.
    I'm excited I get to be one of the first to say welcome! I know your probably not on right now, but hopefully you'll pop back on soon. I'll be lurking around, if you want to chat. My boss is MIA today at the office, and as the saying goes: "When the cat is away...the mice will play." :)
  4. mowgli New Member

Welcome, Wilva. I don't know if we currently have any New Zealanders, but we have at least one Aussie :smile:
  5. Marv New Member

Hello! I'm new, so I'll introduce myself: my names Marv (not my real one but my DT teacher once called me Marv for some reason and it sort of stuck) I'm actually a girl, I'm fifteen, live someplace near Brighton (England), have read all the Discworld books apart from Making Money (can't seem to make enough money to buy the thing), (puff pant), and I like talking very fast in long sentences.
    Who are you people? :)
  6. wilva New Member

back again

hi marv, i'm new too! there must be more antipodeans out there surely!!!
    wilva:pirate:
  7. lipi New Member

Welcome, Marv, and wilva, and everybody else :)
  8. ReginaudChaussure New Member

• 1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname? Just finished Reaper Man, and its the French for Reg Shoe.
    • 2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.) Male (though there has been a lot of confusion over that, on and off. Mostly off.)
    • 3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into? 29, Leicester (England)
    • 4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? Hogfather has been done since this question was posed, and I thought it was beezer. Especially Michelle Dockery.
    • 5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett? An ex lent me "Interesting Times". If for nothing else, I thank her for that.
    • 6) what's your personal quote of the day? "If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides" - Half Man Half Biscuit
  9. Maljonic Administrator

Hello ReginaudChaussure. :)
  10. Esme New Member

another unseen virgin

My first time on the web site and very nervous, so I am probably going to talk too much.

My choice of name? Came from Mistress Weatherwax's first name - happens to also be the name my mother wanted to christen me but was outvoted for something altogether more wyrd. For all my Granny Weatherwax characteristics, am actually a Nanny Ogg Wannabee.

My sex? If you think I'm male, you may require some heidologie. A la Macfeegle.
    Age category - older than I think.

Geographical location: am 100% pedigree Scottish peasant. I happen to live in Cape Town for 5 months of the year, work in Chad for 6 and spend 1 month travelling between the two. The joys of travel.

I have no faith that a discworld movie could be done as well as wot goes on in my head when I read the books. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy "Hogfather" and gladly added to Mr Pratchett's coffers by buying the DVD.

When I was living in Congo (the undemocratic one), a friend gave me two books - Thief of Time and The Truth. I looked at the weirdo sci-fi fantastical Josh Kirby book covers and thought "Ye Gads": definitely not my cup of tea. However, the book stores of Pointe Noire, being somewhat bereft of English language books and I, having run out of anything to read, started to read Thief of Time. Desparate times. Well, Page 1, I am thinking "Oh Lordie, another Salman Rushdie, is the man on drugs?". Page 2 however, and I am thinking, maybe there is some humour here, which is more than can be said for the Satanic Verses (of the first two pages that I read of it, anyway - maybe he lightened up later on). I put "Thief of Time" down and picked up "The Truth". On the front cover, is the subheading "The 25th Discworld novel". Oh. I emailed back aforementioned friend: "Should I be reading these in order of publication?". Answer: "It helps if you read the first two". How handy. Six weeks later, I am back in Aberdeen, smiling sweetly at the man behind the Waterstones Books counter. I bought the first 23 and subsequent 4 books in print at the time. That was the time I flew back to Congo with 84 Kilos of luggage and somehow neither Air France nor Air Gabon charged me the excess luggage. I admit to believing in the God of No Excess Luggage Charges and she (naturally) answered my prayers that night. Since then, I have read the lot and buy every book as soon as it hits the shelf. The man simply makes me laugh out loud. If the world contains x amount of imagination, Mr Terry Pratchett got a whole country's worth (and is subsequently responsible for alot of people without any imagination whatsoever). I am constantly awed by his clever wit - volume, consistency and diversity. I didn't realise till last month what "Going Postal" means to an American.

Quote of the Day: Nasau: "WE HAVE FOUND A GIANT TURTLE FLYING THROUGH SPACE WITH 4 ELEPHANTS ON TOP OF IT WHICH IN TURN HAVE A WORLD SHAPED LIKE A DISK ON TOP OF THEM !!!". Response:"About bl**dy time too. When are you going to start shuttles cos I'd like to see what kind of gin they serve up in the Drum".
  11. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Esme, it's nice to hear that Terry's books are even reaching such remote places as the Republic of Congo. It's lucky you're still alive too because my mother-in-law told me that they chop people's heads of all the time for no reason there... though she is the same person who wanted to know if we'd heard of elevators, air conditioning and hospitals in England when I first spoke to her. :)
  12. Esme New Member

Pleasure to meet you

Maljonic - pleasure to meet you. I can safely say that I have never seen an escalator in the congo; if I saw a lift (a rareity), I took the stairs anyway. I lived in Pointe Noire for 2 years with limited airconditioning (subsequently keeps the Spas in Cape Town happily employed) and a Congolese hospital is, sadly, the last place you would want to be if you were trying to treat something. As for chopping people's heads off - worthy of a thesis -the local solution to so many problems is wrapped up in something so strange it is difficult to comprehend.... better to wrap yourself up in Discworld!!
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome Esme !
  14. Sunna New Member

Welcome all of you.Marv,to answer your question: I'm an icelandic nurse who has no life outside my apartment,Discworld,Middle Earth,DVD's and my iPod.
  15. DTM New Member

1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?

Not too exciting I'm afraid. Stands for Dan The Man. Which says something about me cos I will introduce myself in person as such :p

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)

See Above

3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?

The wrong side of thirty and the right side of the M40....

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

If it was as good as Hogather.... maybe

5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?

A mate. Said 'read this' Colour of Magic. Not looked back.

6) what's your personal quote of the day?

To sum me up.. Its gotta be my response to anyone who complains to me at work:

'It could be worse you know'

Hows that?

'It could be me'
  16. redneck New Member

Welcome, DTM. Your name's not too bad. I have a friend that introduces himself to people as, The Jared. And he always uses big T on The. He can be a little pretentious, but he's ok. And he takes pictures of himself constantly. I bet he's got 40 gigs of just his face pics. If I can be friends with him, then I'm sure you'll be a piece of cake.
  17. Megan New Member

Hello,
    I thought I'd stop hovering around and introduce myself.
    1) Its one of my middle names.
    2) Physically Female, Mentally Male (Cannot understand how shopping is fun?!)
    3) 35, I live and work in south east england but I am Welsh.
    4) Sorry, but no. It would never match what I see in my head.
    5) Cannot remember, just always had the books on my bookshelf.
    6) Sir, if I knew what the cards were going to be, I wouldn't be here talking to you, I'd be in Vegas!
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome to the boards Megan!
  19. Megan New Member

Thanks Katcal. Am mildly terrified, am complete novice at message boards and forums. So will probably annoy everyone. Apologies in advance.:)
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

Meh, don't worry, there are plenty of veteran board users who are good at being annoying, and they've had far more practise at it (being annoying)... Relax, join in, don't worry if you don't get all the jokes and comments, just let it flow over you ;)
  21. redneck New Member

Welcome, Megan. And I second Katcal. We're just a bunch of teddy bears. Teddy bears that were in the same toybox and Chucky, but teddy bears just the same.

What is your avatar? I can't quite make it out.
  22. wilva New Member

newbies

yippee for more pratchett fans coming on line! hey megan am very new at this too :bunny:!
    pleased to find not the only one over 30 on this site!
    sorry not getting back to people quicker but am inthe southern hemisphere so tend to sleep at inappropriate times!! happy easter to you all! ( no religious intent meant!!)
  23. redneck New Member

Wilva, several of us are over 30 or pushing it pretty close.
  24. Megan New Member

Thanks wilva and redneck. A friend sent me my avatar, its a woman with grey hair, a sour expression and long nails. He said it looked just like me! I was soo flattered.
  25. Amzlou New Member

Mrs V

Hey anyone there?
  26. redneck New Member

Sorry Amzlou, we've all gone to lunch. We'll be back at 3:15 PM GMT. Please leave your name and number after the beep and we'll try our best to return service at our earliest convenience.

Please feel free to answer the questions at the beginning of the thread. It will allow us to get to know you a bit better and you can read a little about us as well. And welcome to the boards. :)
  27. wilva New Member

hey is anyone still online out there?? Hi Amzlou :)
    can anyone tell me how do i go about getting an avatar??? i'm new at all this stuff... can you tell
  28. Hsing Moderator

As I see that -or a similar question- for the third time in a short period of time in this thread, I can't help but point out the obvious fact that this is not a chat. So, if you expect someone to answer you within minutes after your last post, you'll just have to wait, not post "Hello, someone there?" a few minutes later. Your chances to get a response are pretty high if you posted something with content, but as most members of this board are located in the same time zone, you might just have gotten one of those calmer hours, and not get a response within hours.

There is a chat on this board, and there's pm. Please use these if you wish to have a real time conversation with someone.
  29. gazz New Member

greetings

My nickname is simply an abreviation of my full name - how lazy is that no imagination whatsoever.
    I live in London with an assortment of Bhuddist statues, several guitars and of course the love of my life - my collection of Discworld books (hope the wife doesn't read this).
    I am on the verge of turning 40, but most days I feel much younger, then I go to work and feel much older.
    It was my brother in law who had all the discworld books that first got me into the series. Then a couple of years ago I had the privelige of interveiwing Terry Pratchett and it's gone from there really.

Quote of the day:
    When god talks to one person it's schizophrenia.
    When god talks to a whole bunch of people it's religion.
  30. alohura New Member

*peers round door*

Hello? Newbie here

Ummmm, i'm found at the Wincanton events sometimes and i'm now a Wadfest regular. Very friendly, love hugs and Baileys. :lol:
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome new guys, come on in, sit down and feel free to put your feet up on the coffee table...
  32. Taraniel New Member

Hi i'm a Pratchett fan from Äänekoski, Finland. I am 17 years old and i got about 10 Pratcehtt books in my bookshelf. My favorite book by Pratchett is "Small gods" and my favorite character is Death. I hope that i dont annoy people very much... My english isnt very good and i apologize for that in advance. I havent read many Discworld books in english but i am reading them now. My sex is male.
  33. TamyraMcG Active Member

You're very welcome here and your English seems fine to me, Taraniel. We try to be a little flexible and appreciate your efforts, as long as you keep the text speak to a minimum I'm sure you'll do great here.
  34. kraak New Member

hiyas,
    Ive been reading Pratchett for ten years now, my favorites are the watch books, i guess i reread those about ten times... cya on the forums
    ps Im 32 years old and from belgium
  35. Maljonic Administrator

Hello kraak. :)
  36. Yoko New Member

intro on me

1) Yoko is actually my dog's name. It means "child" in japanese.

2) I'm a girl

3) I'm 22, living in Thessaloniki in North Greece and I'm expecting a baby girl any day now.

4) I was a bit dissappointed from Hogfather but I'm a sucker for watching Ankh-Morpork on the screen. I firmly believe that there is a very talented and dedicated director out there who will be able to illustrate a Discworld novel with all its complexities. Cartoons will do too.

5) I first found out about Pratchett some 7 years ago in an older friend's house. I saw several shelves stacked with colorfoul books and on closer inspection found the complete discworld series. Then a couple of years later I found buried in a bookstore somewhere "Nightwatch" and I've been hooked ever since.

6) "What was your previous occupation?"
    "Didn't have one sir. I was a musician." Vimes interviewing Sally for the watch.
  37. Hsing Moderator

Welcome, kraak and Yoko! :)
  38. Stanzara New Member

1) My screen name was/is motivated by my literary interests and poem writing, and I use it all around the web. It's just "stanza" made to sound more like a name.
    2) Female, but why should this matter?
    3) I'm born 28th April, so I share a birthday with our beloved Terry, though I am 39 years younger than him or so. I live in Finland and am in a steady relationship.
    4) Yes, I do.
    5) By my friend Lauri. He read bits and pieces of his favorite Discworld
    novels in phone.
    6)"The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head." Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather", footnote

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TERRY AND ME!
  39. jaccairn New Member

Welcome to the board Stanzara and Happy Birthday!
  40. Miellyn New Member

Hi everybody

Hi,

I'm Miellyn, from the netherlands. (Utrecht region for the dutchies around here).
    1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname? Miellyn is the name of a minor character in The forest House by Marion Zimmer Bradley that I really like.
    2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.) Female, definitly. I have a 3 year old son, and giving birth was definitive evidence of femininity.
    3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into? I'm 38 (that can't be right.. <calculating on fingers> oh shit, it's true)
    4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.) Hmm hard one... Not sure. Okay, yes, I think it can be done well enough not to suck. Not well enough to compare to the mental images the books provoke though.
    5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett? I picked up a book by Terry more or less by accident a loooong time ago. He's been my favorite author ever since. Normally I don't believe in defacing books, and signed editions are not my thing. The fact that I am very proud of my signed copy of carpe jugulem says a lot.
    6) what's your personal quote of the day?
    This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncoming traffic.

Maybe just a bit more background info: I work in health care finance and study psychology. There is more overlap than you would think...

Miellyn
  41. randywine Member

Hi Miellyn. And Yoko and Stanzara...
  42. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hey hey, another Utrechtian (?) joins us !! Welcome Miellyn, there's another dutchy guy around here, somewhere. Unless someone ate him. Probably in a pie. But don't let that scare you, it doesn't happen all that often.
  43. LadyBlurp New Member

*LadyBlurp waves wildly hello*

• 1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    It's my name! hehe um I was one day asked to choose a name or alias by some or other random chat facility and this was my creation!
    • 2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    female.... *rolls eyes* duh... ;)
    • 3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?
    20 and I'm from the beautiful country of South Africa... and no... I don't have a pet lion...
    • 4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)
    sure! I have great faith in all that is diskworld!
    • 5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    um... can't really remember... think I was browsing for a book at my cousins and saw the cover art and thought well that looks odd... lets read it! :D
    • 6) what's your personal quote of the day?
    ummm... since I'm currently studying for the ever looming exams and it's pissing with rain outside... how about one of my favourites from Dave Matthews Band: "Gravedigger when you dig my grave, can you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" :)
  44. Maljonic Administrator

Hello LadyBlurp. :)
  45. mowgli New Member

Welcome LadyBlurp - good luck with your exams!
  46. DiscFlat New Member

Hi!

Hi! I'm new and really enjoy Discworld books. err...thats about it
  47. wilva New Member

hey discflat, like the online name!
    cheers wilva
  48. mowgli New Member

Welcome, DiscFlat :smile:
  49. Gypsy New Member

Back from Lspace?

Wow, It has been a scarily long time.

Last Visit: 30 November 1999 is what it says but i'm guessing that's a glitch. It's been well over a year though...actually more like 3 (ouch!)

I have NO idea why it's been that long, and I have NO idea what my avatar used to be, so sorry about that, but I do remember some names here....and will remember a few more once i browse around a bit.

1) Gypsy is my name because when first asked to choose a screenname for something I happened to be wearing a beaded shirt with a Gypsy on it, and I had always wanted to be like a gypsygirl, adventurous, travel with the wind, nomadic, mysterious and all of that (not lying, thieving, violent etc though that could be fun too who knows?) and now I really am one, having moved countries to live alone in a foreign land...

2) Female (and have never been surprised from checking that fact - search for a previous post of mine, read a few following comments and you'll know what that's all about).

3) 23 years unbder my belt, and currently living in Japan.

4) I was not for the discworld movie making etc, and was wary of the rifle, but after watching Hogfather I have to say it wasn't the hell I thought it would be - although i have to say Mr Teatime really bugged me - but now is not the place for THAT discussion and here is not the time...or something like that.

5) I picked it up because I liked the cover (i know i know, never judge...but aren't you glad I did?) when I was *teen (don't remember) and have never looked back since!

6) 'Procrastination isn't the problem, It's the solution. So procrastinate now, don't put it off!'
    -by the charming Ellen DeGeneres.

I hope some of you remember me!
    (Was previously living in Australia, studying Psychology and all that jazz...)
    xxGypsy
  50. Hsing Moderator

I like Nr. 6. That's so... me...
    And welcome back!
  51. Miraculix New Member

What got me here ...

Hi,

It's because of Science of Diskworld 1 & 2.

A little bit more detailed:
    It's all about the second law of thermodynamics and somehow there appears to be another still unformulated law in the universe that says something like:
    "There are things that are meant to come together because they fit." (+)

Like Darwin hitching a ride on the Beagle.

Or:

1.) What happened around me and a few friends here is that one of us fiddled together a little gadget that seems to break the second law of thermodynamics. It clearly puts Lord Kelvins statements in the 'good try, close, - but no cigar' basket. Not so with Rudolph Clausius' and his maths which were formulated later. Well, at least the way the few of us understand and use the formulas.

The formulas stand like a rock as far as we can tell, but our discussions are heated.

Further, I'm from Austria, so my first language is German and all the original variations of the 'zweiter Hauptsatz der Wärmelehre" I read stand up solidly, whereas any english translation I came across seem to be lacking in
    quality and understanding.

2.) At the same time I happened to read TP's "Science of DW II - the Globe" - only half way through - and that's the part on the 2nd law.

1+2 = just fitting too nicely with my "second unseen law of the universe" - (+) to let it go by, so 'google is your friend' and I ended up finding this
    thread:

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/discworld/more-terry-pratchett-novels/40-
    science-discworld-discussion.html

... close, but no cigar. As any of the posts state clearly that the science TP talks about twists already their thoughts into 3D pretzels and I really think it would be very inconsiderate of me/us to plunge into it with our story like Obelix into a swimming pool. It would take the fun out for many, achieving nothing.

No-fun paths are no-good paths so I keep on googlin' and considering that TP-readers and TP himself show to like looking at things from fresh angles, a bit deeper and never leave the fun part out startng out here appears promising.

The bone dry scientific approach to bring about understanding of the 2nd law clearly didn't work very well for about 150 years. I have high hopes on the TP-way, I just can't find it ...

Thank you for your time,
  52. Gypsy New Member

Thanks for your welcome! *blush*. Feels great to be back...like sitting in an old, worn out, slightly warped armchair...gee I love you guys.

Currently living by that quote...lesson planning has never been more...well...urm...put off...

x
  53. MissHorace New Member

hello :)

1) I like the name and character of Horace - however it sounds a little too much like an 80 yr old man for my liking, hence the 'Miss'
    2) Female
    3) 19, Notts, UK
    4)The Hogfather had so much potential but fell a bit flat :( Yes I think they have great movie potential.
    5) My friend Jim. Curses to him :)
    6) Don't get your head stuck in a fence.
  54. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Miraculix and MissHorace. :)
  55. Gypsy New Member

Greetings

Welcome MissHorace and Miraculix...

The boards are a bit quiet for the moment but i'm assured this is a temporary thing. I seem to recall it happening every so often on the old boards...something to do with sunspots is the current theory behind it all.

I've just returned to the boards from a long absence and i feel as welcome as i ever did, so enjoy!
  56. TakeItEazy New Member

hi

TakeItEazy cos I'm taking it eazy :redface:
    female [taken so don't ask]
    Norfolk UK [well someone has to be:lol:]
  57. Gypsy New Member

Welcome to the board TakeItEazy.
    New blood is always welcome....
    ...for the sacrifices that is.

We like goats too.
    And camels.
  58. Simkin New Member

1. I could not think of a name, so I choose the first one that came to my head. Simkin is the name of a character in the dark sword trilogy. Other choices included: LordLoss, Fayt, and something else (don't remember what).

2. I am male.

3. from what I can tell, I am the youngest... 13 (14 in July) I am currently in Portland (I think), but I live in Japan. I am in the U.S. for a three month long road trip (driving across the Northern U.S.). Having said that, I was born in California.

4. Neutral here. Eragon the movie is seared into my brain as one of the worst movies I have seen or ever will see... Lord of the Rings was good. They balance out, almost.

5. My dad introduced me to the Discworld.

6. I forgot it, so I searched for it:
    "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club" Jack London
  59. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Simkin. :)
  60. Simkin New Member

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome...