People, new and old, please introduce yourselves

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Mynona, Aug 21, 2005.

1. KaptenKaries New Member

Hi, Blower, nice to see some more horn players around here. Joculator holds the record with being able to play every single wind instrument invented by man, plus two more destined to be invented within the next century or so. Me, I stick with pretending to play the saxophone. Sadly, since I moved into my thin-walled apartment, I haven't been able to play that much.

Nocomply, great to have more Scandinavians in here! I'm guessing you're not getting much skateboarding done if the fjords are all frozen, eh?

Welcome, both of you, and everyone else I've forgotten to greet. :-D
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome all new people !
  3. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Welcome to the boards, Nocomply.

Thin-walled apartment, KK? This may seem like the comparison to us Brits having carpeted bathrooms (Woe is me -thread), but don't ALL Scandinavians live in long-houses, built out of whole forests? Or is that just racial stereotyping? :D
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

Why of course they do, and they all have saunas and go running around naked in the snow and get married to reindeer :D
  5. KaptenKaries New Member

Thin walls? By Oden, my longhouse doesn't even have internal walls! I mean, I can't even have a mushroom induced berserk rage without waking up the 30 man strong horde living under the same roof. Not to mention the nights when one of the cows has digestive problems. Tor's hammer!

How many times do I have to say this, saunas are a Finnish tradition!
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

Meh, Finland is almost Scandinavia, don't be picky ! Besides, anyone know racial stereotypes have to be slightly wrong or they wouldn't be any fun !
  7. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I always thought Lapland was in there somewhere as well, but that's geography for you!
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

Lapland is in Finland, if I'm not mistaken. It's where Santa lives, which is undoubtedly why KK is a jealous Swedish bastard. :D
  9. KaptenKaries New Member

yes, Lapland is in Finland. It is also in Sweden. And in Norway. And in Russia. Lapland and Scandinavia is not the same thing.

I thought Santa lived in the north pole?
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Welcome to the boards, Nocomply!
  11. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Hi to all the newers!
  12. Hsing Moderator

Postcount pushiiing! Er... I meant... welcome to all the newbits! I hope being greeted by a Viking, an evil monkey, and a sinister Mona Lisa -not to speak of evil clowns and bunnies- does not scare you away.
  13. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Evil clowns?!?!?! Hey! That's my friendly face. I thought it highlighted my caring nature and sensitive personality. :D

This is my evil face...
    [IMG]

-+- Casually throws small ball of flaming, molten cheese in Hsing's direction -+-
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

Cheese wars !! **lobs a ripe and stinky Camembert at Joculator**

Rule number one : never start a cheese war with someone living in France :D
  15. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

So, it's a battle you want?
    Runs to cheese war thread...

edit: to move comments
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

End of Hi-jack, all Cheese war participants plase follow the guys in white coats* this way...

Back to newbie welcoming, people !

*Cheese factory workers, probably.
  17. Nocomply New Member

Thanks for the welcomes people. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Oh..
    Technically, the fjords are way easier to skate when they're frozen, because when they're not, I sink. :D

But you're right. Not much skateboarding gets done during the winter months, but seeing the climate report that got released today, I won't have to worry 'bout winter anymore.
    Which is scary.
  18. ButterflyB New Member

1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    I made it a while ago for other things and never bothered to change it.

2) Are you male or female?
    female

3) what age category and geographic location do you fall into?
    Maryland from Scotland originally

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck?
    It could never be as good as the books but it could be OK.

5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    A few years ago when my Dad read Monstrous Regiment and recommended it.

6) what's your personal quote of the day?
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. –Terry Pratchett

PS. I was on the other forum just came over here to see what it was like
  19. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Welcome to the Boards :)
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome swinging hamster ! :D (or was that Butterfly ?)
  21. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Welcome to the boards, ButterflyB!
  22. Chrisell New Member

Introducing myself . . .

Heh . . . Chrisell is a mashing-together of my first and middle names. It's my screen name everywhere (unless it's already been taken!).

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)

Female.

3) what age category and geographic location do you fall into?

I'm 26 and in denial about it. I'm from Perth, Western Australia (which, let us be quite clear, is on the opposide side of the continent from Sydney).

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

Well . . . Hollywood couldn't do it.

My Year 12 Drama class performed Mort, and being a bookworm I picked up the novel version and started reading. That was that. (Oh, for the record, I was a bit player and had the roles of Keli's maid, a noblewoman in the Duke's court, and the Bursar. There are photos.)

See the one in my signature (which marks me as a Pratchett-reading geek :? ).
  23. mr_scrub New Member

Welcome to the boards Chrisell.
  24. Mr_Teatime New Member

I guess i should talk about what i do to kill time. Kenpo, Judo, Tai chi chu'an, video games, namely SSBM.
    1.I'm an assassin. Enough said.
    2.Male
    3.14, Somewhere with plenty of video games. Look, i just wrote pi unintentionnally!
    4.Maybe
    5.My friend that some of you may know as mr_scrub
    6."I love being an assassin. It makes me feel evil in that good way. And evil is good."
  25. mr_scrub New Member

Hi Stuart, I didn't realise that was you until I read this post.

Hooray 101 posts *fanfare* :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yes I know I'm being stupid.

And to anyone else on the boards he's not posting in character. He's actually like that.
  26. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

Right, official intro:

1) Because my interest in Mithras and Mithraism has recently been rekindled by my Master of Arts in Museum Studies

2) Male

3) 23, home is in Jersey, Channel Islands, but currently studying in Newcastle upon Tyne.

4) Absolutely. But if someone does 'Jingo' I have to have absolute control over casting, costumes etc. ;)

5) A schoolfriend suggested one of them - I'm pretty sure it was 'Reaper Man' - and I got hooked. It's still one of my faves.

6) "Aw, man, I'm not dressed for eternal doom!" (Vinnie in Biker Mice from Mars - 'Back to Mars' Part 2)

7) Favourite author apart from Terry? Hmm... probably Lindsey Davis, author of the 'Falco' novels amongst other things.
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Welcome to the boards, Chrisell and Teatime.

Mithras, Biker Mice From Mars rocks.
  28. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

Glad you agree!
  29. toraspanda New Member

Introducing myself:
    Hello, and first of all, thank you to the patient Moderator who helped me through the registration bugs!

It's a combination of part of my name and that of my favourite cat, Toranaga (that's him in my avatar)

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    Female

3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?
    Ancient , middle European, origin Welsh. I've been living in Switzerland since 1968

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.):

COULD, in theory, but unlikely. It would need a British Director, of equal genius to Terry, Terry's active participation, a British/Austalian production team, a massive budget - and a superb cast, on which no two fans would ever agree.... nah, not feasible, now I come to think of it.:rolleyes:
    I enjoyed the two animated films though: Soul Music & Wyrd Sisters

5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett? - encountering Granny Weatherwax in Wyrd Sîsters. My hero :D

6) what's your personal quote of the day? "Don't get mad, get even!"
  30. Maljonic Administrator

Hello toraspanda, it's been a bit chaotic with the site upgrade, should all settle down soon enough though. :)
  31. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Toraspanda! Welcome to the boards. :) Garner and I approve of your cat's name!
  32. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome Toraspanda ! Humm, not sure we've had anyone from Switzerland here before... Guys ? I haven't been very far into Switzerland but the little I visited was great, and I hope to visit more some day...

**wanders off to boardania because she has had an idea for another useless thread of Stupidityâ„¢ **
  33. toraspanda New Member

Thank you for the welcome :) I live in the Canton of Valais (the Matterhorn's just an hour and a bit down the road - and up the mountain!), in the most unbelievably grandiose and beautiful scenery.
    My young cat (who is a double European Champion, and well on the way to his Grand), was named after the Shogun of James Clavell's terrific book, played so magnificently by the late great Toshiro Mifune in the filmed series. His brother is called Anjin; and his sister was supposed to be Mariko, but the friend who acquired her is French and it was an A year there, so she ended up becoming Azalée. I breed Scottish Folds & British Shorthairs - no surprises that Death is perhaps my favourite Discworld character!
    The year before last, my kittens were called: Esmerelda, Sir Samuel, Lord Vetinari and Captain Carrot. This year, there was a Kelda, a Tiffany, a Rob MacFeegle and a Wee Jock MacFeegle.:D
  34. Maljonic Administrator

I like long cat names, such as Wee Jock MacFeegle. :)
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

They are some pretty awesome names! Toraspanda, what do you mean by 'it was an A year there'?
  36. Katcal I Aten't French !

Pedigree dogs, cats, horses and others are usually named in ordrer, each year has a letter, going through the alphabet and round again, like car registrations... So in an A year, you would get Annabel, Angela, Andrew, etc. (or something more fancy, like Aziraphale :D)

The best cat name I have ever come across was my first moggy, called Slartibartfast. :D We ended up just calling him Catty...
  37. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

These Gauls are crazy!
  38. toraspanda New Member

Katcal is quite right, but it doesn't apply everywhere. France and Belgium certainly use the alphabetical system, and I have a feeling the Fédération Internationale Féline does so as well - but the Independent Clubs vary. My own club leaves members free to choose whatever names they like, and I usually go for themes. For instance, last year, all my kittens had names taken from English-language detective novels: e.g. Wexford, Appleby, Adela Bradley, Miss Maud Silver, Lord Peter Wimsey,etc.

My very first litter, back in 1995, was named for the four main characters in Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing and I had a Mozart year in 1997, all named after characters in operas by Mozart. I've used some Lord of the Rings names, but not since Peter Jackson's awful films - I don't want anybody thinking I approve of those in any way!
  39. Tinhead Ned New Member

A quick introduction...

Tinhead Ned = the Discworldly Ned Kelly, so i figured how much more aussie could you get??
    Male, last time i checked...
    19 going on 36 in cynicism, and im about 1 hr out from Melbourne, Australia, sporting capital of the world...
    4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck?
    Im sorry but any movie NEVER surpasses the book, any book... Ever... Period (but id love to see someone try - especially with a DW)
    Saw a couple funky-lookin kirby covers on a mates bookshelf, upon further inspection i found my own surname on the cover, and i was intrigued... been hooked ever since
    "the wheel's still spinning but the hamsters dead" - Denis Commetti
  40. Hsing Moderator

Welcome, Tinhead Ned... Nice quote. :razz:
  41. Tinhead Ned New Member

Yeah i liked it, was watching afl on tv one day and one team was getting flogged, and after yet another goal was kicked, the commentator pulled that one out from god knows where... was sublime timing.
  42. Maljonic Administrator

Hi Tinhead Ned, and welcome.

P.S. Hamster's (just filling in for Buzzfloyd, the spelling bee. :smile: ).
  43. Mercyful Fate New Member

Greetings. New here and glad to have found the forum. Been a fan of Prachett for a couple of years after discovering one of his short stories in a Sci-Fi / Fantasy compilation of short stories. Been hooked on Discworld ever since.

I'm male, 43 years old and living in the state of Missouri, USA (middle America)

I do not have faith in a discworld movie. But one can hope.
  44. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Mercyful Fate. :smile:
  45. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi, Tinhead Ned and Mercyful Fate! Welcome to the boards. :)
  46. FairyHegehOGG New Member

• 1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname? I like Nanny Ogg and she was "Fairy Hedgehog in a scene in 'Witches Abroad"
    • 2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.) Yes Definately one of those.......oh you want me to choose one--Female
    • 3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into? Forty Something and somewhere in the middle of America
    • 4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.) I think they did a decent Job on HogFather--but as has been said before no movie can take the place of Imagination and a good book.
    • 5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett? My Daughter got me to read "Feet of Clay' and My friend Got me to read the watch books in order (which made feet of clay make more sense).
    • 6) what's your personal quote of the day? Meh!:lol:
  47. Maljonic Administrator

Hello FairyHegehOGG, and welcome. :smile:
  48. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi, Fairyhedgehogg! Welcome to the boards. :)
  49. Stercus Stercus New Member

Hi all. I'm me. Erm, I'd better answer the questions.
    • 1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname? I like using latin and Rincewind's mantra is perfect.
    • 2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.) Erm Male.
    • 3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into? 30's
    • 4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.) Hogfather worked, So yes. Don't point that thing at me.
    • 5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett? I wanted something to read while I was on breaks and Men At Arms looked funny.
    • 6) what's your personal quote of the day? Keep moving, A Moving Target Is Harder To Hit!
  50. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Stercus, Stercus. :smile:
  51. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Welcome to the boards, Stercus! :)
  52. Stercus Stercus New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I must warn you thou that the last message board I joined closed down a few weeks after I joined, I may be a jinx. Sorry.
  53. queenynci New Member

Hi all!. I'm not exactly new, as I joined this board a couple of years ago, but as I haven't been around for a while I'll re-introduce myself.

1.)What formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    A character from Lords and Ladies

2.)Are you male or female? (asking because therehas been quite a lot of confusion over this, on and off)
    Female

3.)What age, category and geographical location do you fall into?
    37, form Manchester, England.

4.)Do you have good faith that a Discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way asks about casting choices you'd like to see. I have a loaded rifle and I'm not afraid to use it)
    I originally said no to this, but I must admit I think Hogfather was done well.

5.)Who or how were you turned on to Discworld/Pratchett?
    I wanted a change of genre, and Colour of Magic was the first book I liked the look of.

6.)What's your qoute of the day?
    Nae bother!
  54. Miss_Majere New Member

1) Raistlin Majere is the name of my favorite character in the Dragonlance chronicles.

2) I'm a female.

3) I'm 15 and live in the northern part of Sweden.

4) No no no!!! A movie would completely destroy the magic of the Discworld!

5) When I was 12 my mum gave me "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents" for christmas and I've been hooked since then.

6) Chickens aren't eagles!!!
  55. Pepster New Member

It is a short form of a longer screenname I had in the past. I like this one better.

Male.

22, East coast of Australia.

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

A movie no I don't think so, possibly if it was a original discworld story I think it may work better than I expect it to.

The soul music and hogfather cartoon miniseries got me interested, the new release of the Jingo paperback soon after was the hook.

Did you bring cake?
  56. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Welcome to the boards, Miss Majere!

Hello again, Queen Ynci!

And I guess Pepster didn't fill this out first time round!
  57. queenynci New Member

Thanks Buzzfloyd!
    And after reading the members news thread, an extra big thank-you to Mal for taking the time to sort out my e-mail address problem. Hope everything goes alright for you!
  58. TinaE New Member

TinaE

Hi All :smile:
    • 1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname? It is my screen name for all forums/newsgroups I join - makes it easy to remember - although I am Conina in Darkthrone
    • 2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.) Female
    • 3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into? I turned 40 on St Patrick's day and I live in South Africa (pronounced Souf Efrica)
    • 4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.) I really enjoyed Hogfather, but will always prefer the voices in my head...
    • 5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett? I read Mort in 1988 and have been hooked ever since.
    • 6) what's your personal quote of the day? The turtle moves - it confuses people and I can identify kindred spirits :razz:
  59. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi, Tina! Welcome to the boards. :smile:

This sounds wrong...
  60. Mynona Member

Ooooh, more Swedes!

Also, welcome to all newbies and oldbies who reintroduce themselves :wink: