Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker Adaptation

Discussion in 'NON PRATCHETT BOOK DISCUSSIONS' started by The_Khan, Mar 28, 2006.

1. The_Khan New Member

Here is the sketch of Alvin Miller Jr. from the upcoming Alvin Maker Series adaptation, enjoy, and please feel free to post your feedback. Thanks :)

[img:e151637871]http://www.roaringstudios.com/ernst/Red_Prophet/AlvinMillerJr.jpg[/img:e151637871]
  2. Sir_Gawain New Member

He doesn't look.... quite human. It's the eyes.

Card's writing a new series? I wonder if it'll be as good as Ender or Shadow...
  3. The_Khan New Member

Sir_Gawain my friend, the eyes are difficult to see without the colors but once colored it'll look much better ;)

Actually The Alvin Maker Series have been awhile for some time now. Mr. Card created an alternate America in the mid 1800s where folk magic really works. Alvin Miller Jr. is the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and he is very special :) You should check out the series if you ever get a chance.

Below is the sketch of Napoleon, who appears in Red Prophet. Mr. Card explained to me that as Napoleon is really young in Red Prophet and still has a long way to go before he becomes Emperor that his uniform should be less elaborate, so in the graphic adaptation you'll notice the uniform changed from what you see below, enjoy and please feel free to give your feedback :)

[img:5df9c78c4e]http://www.roaringstudios.com/ernst/Red_Prophet/Napoleon.jpg[/img:5df9c78c4e]
  4. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba hopes Ernst doesn't mind, but he's taken the liberty of sending an e-mail to that address to make sure that it is, in fact, the president of Dabel Brothers posting here. Ba hates being a suspicious sort, but one never knows who might be posting as whom.

The pictures look very interesting. Ba particularly likes Napolean. His uniform is good, not ostentatious, but still obviously belonging to an important person. Ba hasn't actually read the series in question, though he has been told it's good. Will this Napolean be rampaging his way across Europe?
  5. Maljonic Administrator

They look like Japanese manga art with their big eyes and little noses.
  6. The_Khan New Member

Ba my friend, no I don't mind at all. I replied to your email, did you receive it?

I'm happy you like the sketches. No, Napoleon will not be rampaging his way across Europe. In the novel Red Prophet, Napoleon is still very young and has not yet become Emperor. He is stationed in Canada, and he has some rather...unique abilities at his disposal :)

Maljonic my friend, you're right, we did use a Japanese manga art feel for the sketches, but once they are translated into the adaptation we used a more realistic style. You can check the cover below to see what I mean

Here is cover 1A for Red Prophet, enjoy and all feedbacks are appreciated :)

Cover 1A:
    [img:b8c8a2833f]http://www.roaringstudios.com/ernst/Red_Prophet/RP_cover_01a.JPG[/img:b8c8a2833f]
  7. Hsing Moderator

It so reminds me of something... I wish I knew what it is, its going to keep me awake all night...

But the cover has a vintage feeling about it, say, fifties or sixties.

I wouldn't have said they have much of a manga, but maybe the omnipresent Japanese pop culture has bent my viewing habits. Well, a little Ghibli Studios maybe.

I like the knack for details, and that the artist didn't stop after he got face, hands and posture right and just filled everything else in.

I'd say, don't make Napoleons uniform too plain just because he was not yet an emperor. Uniforms as such weren't as convenient back then.
    I mean, that's him at the age of 23:
    [img:7ac72dd970]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/5/5d/Napoleon_-_2.jpg[/img:7ac72dd970]
    Not quite as baroque as pictured on the sketch, but still.
  8. The_Khan New Member

Hsing my friend, if you remember, please let me know, thanks :)

Yeah we had the colorist give it a vintage feel, I'm happy you noticed that. You're good, lol :)

Oh thank you so much for that young Napoleon picture, I will send it to my artist for reference. Okay, I understand what you mean about the uniforms, thanks :)

Here is cover #1B, please let me know your thoughts.

[img:599ebee066]http://www.roaringstudios.com/ernst/Red_Prophet/RP_covr1(B).JPG[/img:599ebee066]
  9. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba did indeed receive Ernst's e-mail. He's glad to find out that he's genuine.

Ba's trying to decide which cover he likes better, 1A or 1B. They both seem to hearken back to the old magazines in the thirties through the fifties.

Thinking on it, he likes 1A better. It seems to fit the project better. The painting is nice, but it doesn't seem to fit the graphic novel as well.
  10. The_Khan New Member

Thanks, Ba my friend. Hey you know who Ba sounds like, Kruppe from Steven Erikson's Malazan series. I'm not sure if you read that series yet, but we'll be adapting that one as well :)

Hah, so you enjoy cover #1A. I have asked a lot of people which one they liked the most from a lot of other fantasy/scifi boards and they are split evenly between the two.
  11. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Hello, Khaaaaaaaaan!! (sorry, couldn't resist).

Very nice artwork, I'm sure that your business is doing well. So, what do you think of these novels that you adapt? I'm intererested in knowing your favorite one, and what you like about it.
  12. Hsing Moderator

Hm, 1B looks slightly like a foto worked over with photoshop. Too realistic.
  13. The_Khan New Member

Bradthewonderllama my friend, don't worry, I get that alot, lol :)

Thanks I'm happy you like it, the business is growing very fast. I LOVE THEM! Like my High School friend told George R.R. Martin "In High School Ernst was always reading a fantasy/science fiction book. Ernst was our dungeon master and he was the elf/druid", lol.

When I was a kid, I hated books with a passion. But one Christmas when I was 12, my brother Les bought me a book for Christmas. I was so mad! But not wanting to hurt his feelings, I decided I would 'pretend' to read it. So the first line, I think I still remember it: "In a hole in the ground, there lived a Hobbit." I was like what's a Hobbit? And why would it live in a hole in the ground? From that point on I was hooked. I read the Hobbit pretty slowly, digesting everything, and trying very hard to picture in my mind how a Hobbit would look. I read the Lord of the Rings, and then the Silmarillion. Then I went nuts and in High School I was reading five books at the same time. I was always looking for something new, something that could feed my imagination and I haven't changed a bit, except now, I have to read for work, lol.

Over time I've had a lot of favorites for different reasons, but currently my favorite is R.A. Salvatore's The Highwayman, which we will be adapting as well, because his main character reminds me of my deceased cousin who went through a lot of hardships. He was like the older brother I never had, God rest his soul.

Hsing my friend, for cover #1B we contacted a painter John Buxton and we licensed out some of his paintings and are using them as cover Bs that is why they look so real, because they're actual paintings :)

I also want to take the time to thank you for your feedbacks, you are very knowledgeable with history, which is really handy for the Alvin Maker series, and I really appreciate your help. I'd love to put more art up right now to get your feedback, but I have to wait first to see if the board will maybe start a 'non-pratchett' section so I can put the art there for your feedback.
  14. Roman_K New Member

Both covers have their ups, but if I had to choose between the two I would pick the first.
  15. Hsing Moderator

So would I.
    I now remembered that the first cover reminded me of the cover of my -very, very old- "The Last of the Mohicans"-edition.
  16. The_Khan New Member

Thanks for the feedback :)

Here is a sketch of Bill Harrison. One thing that Scott told us is that during this time period no one really carried guns on them like cowboys, because they mostly carried their muskets in the back of their wagons most of the time, so the gun belt will go in the adaptation ;) Enjoy :)

[img:91d4a61d82]http://www.roaringstudios.com/ernst/Red_Prophet/BillHarrison2.jpg[/img:91d4a61d82]
  17. Maljonic Administrator

Looks very Cowboy Bebop, what do you think of those The_Khan?
  18. Sir_Gawain New Member

Isn't that a manga?
  19. The_Khan New Member

Yeah, I heard of Cowboy Beebop, but I've never seen it. I heard it's supposed to be good. Can you tell me a little bit about Cowboy Beebop Maljonic my friend? Thanks in advance :)