New Job

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Orrdos, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Orrdos God

I got a new job.

Hooray!

After 2 and a half years of call center hell, I have finally managed to move on, and get a better job in the cushy world of civil service.

I will be working as a caseworker for the criminal injuries compensation authority. Basically, they give money to vicitims of crime.

My job would be to collate various reports about the crime, put it into a report and pass it on to someone else to make a decision on.

Couple of grand more than I get just now, much better hours, a pension, sick pay (gasp!)

It's all subject to reference checks, a medical and a disclosure check. Which checks into potential criminal backgrounds.

i don't forsee any problems there, so it should be all good!
  2. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Sounds like the job is already in the bag. Congratulations :)

Damn. Why can't we have a 'thumbs up' smilie like Yahoo?
  3. Garner Great God and Founding Father

in the bag? hardly. he's glaswegian. lord knows what they'll turn up in his background.
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Well done, Doors! :)
  5. Maljonic Administrator

I thought you loved that job in the petrol station, what happened to that?

Well done anyway. :thumbsup:
  6. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Subtly done Maljonic... just 'cos I wasn't wearing my specs! :lol:

Edited to improve spelling.
  7. Maljonic Administrator

It wasn't there before. :)
  8. Ba Lord of the Pies

Don't tell them that. Let them think that some manner of voodoo has been accomplished!
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

**stabs Ba**

Yes Mal, you should just add it and pretend it had always been there and therefore everyone else is a dork for not noticing. That's what I do at work ! (and look where that got me :D )

Congrats on the job Doors, although with everything being your fault, there must be something on your record, so don't get your hopes up too high... :D
  10. missy New Member

Congrats Doors

I hope you will be really happy doing a very worthwhile job. Well done.

(Ella, Good luck. Your gonna need it ;) )
  11. Delphine New Member

Oh, Glasgow's not that bad :)
  12. jaccairn New Member

Congratulations on the job Doors. It sounds interesting, and not too stressful as somebody else makes the decisions.
  13. Roman_K New Member

Congrats, Doors. :)
  14. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Go Doors!

Ba, you make me laugh.
  15. Orrdos God

Thanks, dudes :)
  16. Delphine New Member

So, I'm resserecting my lovely boyfriend's thread to hijack it for my own evil purposes. Because i'm evil, you see. And couldn't justify making exactly the same thread as Doors a few days after his.

So, yes. Now i've got a new job! Hooray. I start the day before my birthday. Gah.

It's for the position of: Trainee Pension Administrator. With a pension company, obviously. But because Doors got his bigger better faster job before me (by about a week!) I wont be staying there long, just long enough to scrape together some money. Then i'll be fleeing to Glasgow. to live there.

A prospect that's definitely more exciting than scary. But still! a bit scary :)
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay !!! New job time !!!! :D

Well done Ella ;)
  18. mowgli New Member

Whoohoo Ella :) (and a belated whoohoo to Doors)
  19. jaccairn New Member

Well Done Ella. New jobs seem to be contagious at the moment. :D Does your pensions company have a Glasgow office? You might be able to arrange a transfer.
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Woot! Well done, Ella! :D
  21. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

This is probably the second time today I can't put a face to the name, but congratulations all the same. :)
  22. missy New Member

Ella, thats great news honey. I hope you wont be trying to sell pensions on line to us (watch it folkes)

Seriously though this is great news, the quicker you sort out the scottish one and get him domesticated the better! lol
  23. peapod_j New Member

I have an iterveiw wich may lead to a new (and first) job well done Ella and Doors :thumbsup:

p.s. be nice to the scotish
  24. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Best of luck for the interview, peapod. I hope the deductions from what you think you are going to earn don't cause too much pain when you see your first pay cheque... ow! :rolleyes:

PS. As far as I'm aware, us Durham residents have always been nice to the Scottish people... well apart from an ancient disagreement at 'Neville's Cross' :)
    (Which we won :lol: )
  25. Delphine New Member

I'm half scottish anyway, so I'll fit right in :)

Thanks for your congrats. Jackie, they do have an office in Glasgow, so a transfer [i:a5e08a6ed1]might[/i:a5e08a6ed1] be possible. It all depends on whether they have a vacancy and whether I turn out to be good enough. Never worked in an office before, so we'll see :shock:

And Wendy, I think it will be the other way around. Doors gets nervous about me cooking :)

And good luck Peapod. :)
  26. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

::chuckles::

In our house, Garner does the cooking. Board nazis are more experienced with open flames, I suppose.

Peapod, good luck with the interview!
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

And stabbing and tenderizing meat too.
  28. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Fine. I guess, I just man the unemployed loser club by myself, shall I? While you two flouseys galvant off with your fancy pant 'Jobs'. Treacherous Bastards.

Oh, Yeah...and Congratulation's!
  29. Marcia Executive Onion

Well done everyone.
  30. Orrdos God

Oh, damn your accursed archers!

:: shakes fist ::
  31. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

As I remember, we never lost a home match... but we were shocking on the away games :)

-+- trembles in mock fear -+-
  32. Pepster New Member

Congrats Doors and Ella :D

We are counting down to when I am getting rid of my beloved servo job aswell. Less than eight weeks.
  33. Maljonic Administrator

Oh, seems like it's a dying profession. :(
  34. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

'Profession'?
  35. spiky Bar Wench

Trade?

Past-time?

Holding pattern until something else comes along?
  36. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Congrats Doors and Ella (-:
  37. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Being for to lazy to create my own thread I shall twist this thread for my own perverse usage. For I too, have A New Job. You are now looking at the words typed by a Researcher on 'Popworld'.

Yay! It's a great role for me, making a move towards comedy and more money!

Think of all the whores sexbots rolyhipol bibles I can buy now!
  38. chrisjordan New Member

*lowers newspaper-with-eyeholes, sidles up conspiratorially to Rinso*

Doors has joined the Spice Girls. He is Scottish Spice. But you did not hear this from me.

*crab-walks away*

Oh, and: congrats!
  39. Katcal I Aten't French !

That shouldn't be as funny as it is. :D

Congrats Rinso !! Great job news for everyone so far ! Happy 2007 !
  40. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Huzzah! Go Rinso. And Ella.

Me, I'm looking to quit my fancy pants 'job' and go back school full time. For a dregree. In something. Or whatever.

I'll be poor. But happy. I think.

*sits in corner crying* I'm scared.
  41. Hsing Moderator

Well, huzzah all, for develolpments in general, and paychecks in particular.
    Om, as Bob Marley used to say to his weeping ladyfriend, no woman no cry... in case it gets tight, we'll send you... buiscuits. :)
  42. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Hooray, a suplement to the Ramen Noodle diet of students everywhere.
  43. KaptenKaries New Member

I had Ramen for dinner yesterday, just for the nostalgia of the thing.

Congratulations to Doors, Ella and Rinso on their respective careers.
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

It's a scary thing to do, Om, hang in there, if it's really what you want, you will only feel better once you've done it. Hubby quit his (crappy) job and is now doing a qualifying course in IT (Network admin) which is what he has always wanted to do, we are poorer than before, but he is so much happier it's worth it ;)

**adds an extra packet of biscuits to the parcel** Oh, hang on, I know what happenned last time I tried to send biscuits... :(
  45. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Rinso, well done! :) I look forward to the day when you have your own TV show and we can all come and sit in the audience and heckle and throw Retardex.

Om, if it's what you want to do, go for it! Money is not worth sacrificing your happiness for.
  46. sampanna New Member

Nice!
    Congrats Doors annd Rinso! :)
  47. Nester New Member

Congrats on the jobs everyone. :)

I'm still at the bookstore, but I'm looking at getting a promotion here soon. Right now I just take care of all the money, but if I get the promotion I'm in charge of every book that comes into the store. I get to choose what displays we put up and where.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with that :)
  48. mowgli New Member

Rinso: Congrats!

Nester: use that power for good only!

:)
  49. Delphine New Member

Congrats Rinso. :) The unemployment office will be an uglier place without you.

Om, you should do the uni thing if you want to. Both my parents went back to uni in their 40s. Now they've got jobs they love. It's definitely worth it. You'll find something that suits you more than working for The Man :)
  50. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Thanks for the support everyone. I'll keep you updated on how it all turns out.
  51. spiky Bar Wench

Om I agree with Ella that you should go back to uni... cos then maybe you'll love it and decide that you want to be a student forever and become and academic too. I think it's just what the board needs is more academics :cooler:
  52. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Nester, I think I might want to be you.
  53. Nester New Member

Take five whiskeys and call someone drunkenly in the morning. 8)
  54. spiky Bar Wench

You're ME! We seem to be the same person... scary.
  55. Nester New Member

I'd definitely be worried if I was you :D

But you get the cool accent I bet. I'm still bitter about my non-existent midwestern US accent. :cry:
  56. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Come to England and see if your accent sounds 'non-existent'. :)
  57. Nester New Member

Yah, you betcha now. :)
  58. Orrdos God

I have now started my new job.

Hooray!

It is also flexi time, and i can wear whatever i want!

Everyones a winner!
  59. spiky Bar Wench

I hope the ability of wear what you want includes you wanting to wear clothes. Naked Doors is more than my poor innocent mind could handle.

Congrats on the job and I hope you really enjoy it and not just do it for the money.
  60. Katcal I Aten't French !

I have started my job, and two days in, it looks pretty good, but, well, wait and see I guess :D The company does all thos silly "text DORK to 88666 and find out who you will become when you reincarnate next time" services, and the product range goes from legal advice services to "nudge-nudge-wink-wink" webcam chatting. Ohhhh, this is going to be fun. :D