Most featured Discworld character?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by DEATHOFRATS, Jun 8, 2009.

1. DEATHOFRATS New Member

I was wondering if anybody knew which character features in the most Discworld novels...there's Death of course, who does come in a lot, but is Sam Vimes in more? I don't actually have all the books (shame, I know), but is there anyone out there with all the books and a rainy afternoon who wouldn't mind seeing who the top few candidates are, or even the answer?

(Hope no-one's already asked this...)
  2. Hsing Moderator

It depends on how you define "most featured" - does that mean

A) a story with them as a main character? (Then I see a match between Vimes and DEATH, depending a bit on how you define main character, for example, was DEATH a main character in Hogfather or a support for Susan... in which Vimes might win, so to say.)

Or B) appearance in the book? (In that case it definitely is DEATH, no question.)

Or C) absolute mention? (Which would be almost impossible to find out).
  3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Another contender for most frequent occurence would be the Librarian. And Vetinari.
  4. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Just waiting for the weather to change before I start the computation :D

Okay... between The Colour of Magic and Making Money (32 Books) here are the number of appearances the following characters have made...

Vetinari - 17
    Granny Weatherwax - 10
    Vimes - 11
    DEATH - 28
    The Librarian - 23

Assuming I still have "Turtle Recall", DEATH looks to be the popular character.

Death has also appeared in Maurice and Hatful of Sky, but I don't count these as part of the Discworld books
    Granny Weatherwax has also appeared in The Wee Free Men, Hatful of Sky and The Wintersmith, but again I didn't count these.
  5. jaccairn New Member

Which ones hasn't death appeared in?
  6. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

From memory, and the fact that I haven't read pTerry's latest books for a while (over a year)... I think there are only four books.

Making Money, Going Postal, Mostrous Regiment and Night Watch.

As i said, my memory isn't too good on the latest works so I expect to be corrected.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

Note that Death - although maybe not precisely the Discworld one - also appears in Good Omens.
  8. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Quick correction... Take Going Postal off the list... Death turns up when the golem, Anghammarad, is rapidly cooled by the water from the Post Office roof after the fire.
  9. jaccairn New Member

He also makes an appearance in Night Watch when they're clearing out the cells and Swing is killed.
  10. spiky Bar Wench

Having just reread it, Death is in Making Money as he comes for the soul of Topsy Lavish nee Turvey.
  11. DEATHOFRATS New Member

So there's only one book in which Death doesn't feature? And that's Monstrous Regiment, a book about war? Seems a bit odd...
  12. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Bugg'rit..

Polly has a near Death experience in Monstrous Regiment ...

Polly shivered, and was aware that someone was walking beside her. She looked up and groaned.
    ‘You’re a hallucination, right?’
    OH, YES. YOU ARE ALL IN A STATE OF HEIGHTENED SENSIBILITY CAUSED BY MENTAL CONTAGION AND LACK OF SLEEP.
    ‘If you’re a hallucination, how do you know that?’
    I KNOW IT BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT. I AM SIMPLY BETTER AT ARTICULATING IT.
    ‘I’m not going to die, am I? I mean, right now?’
    No. BUT YOU WERE TOLD THAT YOU WOULD WALK WITH DEATH EVERY DAY.
    ‘Oh . . . yes. Corporal Scallot said that.’
    HE IS AN OLD FRIEND.YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.
    ‘Do you mind walking a bit more . . . invisibly?’
    OF COURSE. HOW’S THIS?
    ‘And quietly, too?’

There was silence, which was presumably the answer. ‘And polish yourself up a bit,’ said Polly to the empty air. ‘And that robe needs a wash.’

There was no reply, but she felt better for saying it.

Full house for Death!
  13. DEATHOFRATS New Member

Well, thankyou all for answering my question. Death appears in all of them.

Kinda obvious, though I was hoping for Vimes...
  14. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I was a bit surprised at the thought of Death not appearing, since he'd appeared in all the previous ones!

You can find out a lot of information like this, if you're interested, DoR, at L Space.
  15. DEATHOFRATS New Member

So I should check in L-space before asking here?
  16. Hsing Moderator

I don't think it's considered a rule or anything like that... so ask away. But it might spare you some time waiting for replies, and it is a good ressource.
  17. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Right, you're quite welcome to ask - but I thought you might find L Space an interesting and helpful resource.
  18. DEATHOFRATS New Member

Who set up L-space?
  19. Hsing Moderator

Now, that really is a question L-Space may answer better than us. ;)