More Casting News - Ridcully, Downey and Mr Sydeney

Discussion in 'THE DEATH BOOKS' started by The_Red_Avenger, Apr 3, 2006.

1. The_Red_Avenger New Member

The Internet really is an amazing thing.

The Director Vadim Jean is a regular poster to the IMDB and had this to say on Hogfather casting.

[quote:40612f23f5]
    Dear all

interesting suggestions all round...

Here's an update on casting:

Ridcully is to be played by Joss Ackland.

Teatime is Marc Warren (from 'Hustle'/'State of Play').

Nigel Planer is Mr Sydeney.

There are many others too. Susan is to be played by a newcomer called Michelle Dochery who is amazing.

Vetinari is not in Hogfather but Lord Downey Master of the Assassin's Guild is and will be played by David Warner.

It's all very exciting.

Vadim Jean
    Director and writer of screenplay for Hogfather [/quote:40612f23f5]

Now I knwo what you're all thinking and that's just because somebody posts as vadimJean does not necessarily mean he is Vadim Jean except if you check his post history he has been posting for years with much accurate information and the posters around him accept who he is without question so I am inclined to believe this is true.

Now I think David Warner is excellent casting for Downey but not so sure on Joss Ackland, he's going to have to ham it up tremendously

Glad to see Nigel Planer in there (in any role).

Since this seems to be avery reliable source. I will be back with more updates as I get them.

You don't have to believe them if you have any doubts so don't castigate for passing on the information.
    RA
  2. Cynical_Youth New Member

Glad to see Nigel Planer in there. He rules.

Thanks for the news, RA. :)
  3. KaptenKaries New Member

The nazi from Lethal Weapon 2 plays Ridcully? Hmm, my feelings are split about that one.
  4. Cynical_Youth New Member

5. Katcal I Aten't French !

I must say the resemblance is striking ! :shock:
  6. The_Red_Avenger New Member

Actually that's a very good picture of Joss and yes, slap a beard on and it's much better.

I've not seen him do comedy, he always seems to be in serious drama's.

Oh and what did you think of the news on Teatime? I think that's inspired casting.
    RA
  7. KaptenKaries New Member

8. Katcal I Aten't French !

KK why on earth did you pick Osama's beard for that ? :D
  9. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:ecc8ea79b5="Katcal"]KK why on earth did you pick Osama's beard for that ? :D[/quote:ecc8ea79b5]

Actually, I took this beard, flipped it, desaturated it and trimmed it a bit. :-D
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:e5cbd0f395="KaptenKaries"][quote:e5cbd0f395="Katcal"]KK why on earth did you pick Osama's beard for that ? :D[/quote:e5cbd0f395]

Actually, I took this beard, flipped it, desaturated it and trimmed it a bit. :-D[/quote:e5cbd0f395]

Shhhh ! You're gonna blow his cover !!! :D
  11. The_Red_Avenger New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Ridcully have no beard?

I'm sure he's described in Moving Pictures as having no beard.

Also I read the Bathroom/Verruca Gnome segment last night with Joss in mind and it actually works.

I really hope the "Old Faithful" bit is in it. That just creases me up every time.
    RA
  12. Hsing Moderator

Hm... I don't remember that bit. Kidby always portrayed him with a beard, and he draws pretty close to the canon. :)
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:25c7f4e178="Hsing"]he draws pretty close to the canon. :)[/quote:25c7f4e178]
    You mean he gets shot if he doesn't get it right ?
  14. drunkymonkey New Member

Nice, always good to get some good Hogfather news.
  15. Hsing Moderator

[quote:6da9fc8028="Katcal"][quote:6da9fc8028="Hsing"]he draws pretty close to the canon. :)[/quote:6da9fc8028]
    You mean he gets shot if he doesn't get it right ?[/quote:6da9fc8028]

:D
  16. randywine Member

thanks from me also - I kinda felt like a big kid when I heard about the hogfather tv project.. everyone around me are soooooo sick of me going on about it...
  17. kormaciek New Member

Can't nowhere find photos of Michelle Dochery
  18. jaccairn New Member

19. evilswerve New Member

Persoanlly and nothing against Joss Ackland BUT Brian Blessed would have been the ideal Ridcully. Agreed with a reply earlier Joss is going to have to ham it up big time.
  20. Angua_rox New Member

Cool, thanks!
  21. Dane New Member

[quote:5c940038fe="evilswerve"]Persoanlly and nothing against Joss Ackland BUT Brian Blessed would have been the ideal Ridcully. Agreed with a reply earlier Joss is going to have to ham it up big time.[/quote:5c940038fe]

ok by ham it up do you mean put weight on? I always thougt of ridcully being not exactly skinny but not a large man, mainly due to him being the only wizard that knows that theres a gym at UU.

also I always thought of ridcully as a little... i don't know how to descirbe it... [i:5c940038fe]pointier[/i:5c940038fe] than that guy...

finally, I think Brian blessed would be make a great Ridcully, but who would that leave for Dibbler?
  22. evilswerve New Member

Dibbler = Eric Idle

Going back to Joss Ackland, i can only see him doing his 'evil south african' character from lethal weapon 2. Can see him sneering a lot and not adding any humour to the part
  23. Pixel New Member

The trouble with casting ideas is that one tends to see the possible choices as parts they have done before - two people who are in the cast are not in the obvious parts for them, but if they had been cast in those parts Tony Robinson as Nobby would have everybody who had seen Blackadder thinking "Baldric" and Sir David Jason as Dibbler would get everybody who had seen Only Fools and Horses thinking "Del Boy"
  24. drunkymonkey New Member

Mayhaps that would have been better fare though, considering the Discworld isn't exactly mainstream, it would possibly be better to see familiar faces play familiar archetypes (I know that Discworld doesn't have many obvious archetypes, but you know what I mean).

But yeah, I would have loved to have seen Brian Blessed as Ridcully. I suppose we need to make do with what we got; especially considering we do at least have a Discworld programme to watch.