Mock battles

Discussion in 'BOARDANIAN ROLEPLAY GROUP' started by Mynona, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Mynona Member

As most everyone noticed, yesterday's game wasn't all it could have been.

I realised rather quickly that part of it is our (the newbies) lack of knowing, not always how to play, but what you can actually do. Another part of it is, I feel, that we're so many and everything is just confusing.

What I'm proposing is tutorials, in smaller groups, and, hopefully, in a situation where we can have a couple of the more experienced players as helpers. The tutorials should be conducted in smaller groups, which should also help with the planing of 'when' to do it. It would also give Garner a chance to pass on DM'ing to someone else for a short while.

I think this will give us a wider range of 'options' the next time we end up in battle (or as it is, in the next session) and we get a chance of testing our characters, and their feats, out without risking anything. Of course no experince points or anything will be accumulated during the turorials.

Hopefully this will keep garner from tearing his hair out during sessions. It'll also help us from feeling completely useless/clueless/frustrated/[enter fitting word here]
  2. Cynical_Youth New Member

Count me in.
  3. Garner Great God and Founding Father

ya'll are welcome to use your current characters or throw together some new ones. If you're using new ones, you can speed things up by using an array for the stats. just assign 16 14 12 10 10 8 in whatever order you want.

them's good stats for a second level.
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I would like to do this. Despite being one of the more experienced players in the group, in that this is not my first ever game, I am still a complete newbie to roleplaying. I find combat difficult, confusing and a bit scary. I would really appreciate some help from more experienced players.
  5. Garner Great God and Founding Father

rule 1) don't panic.
  6. Saccharissa Stitcher

Rule 2) Don't roll a natural 1
  7. Garner Great God and Founding Father

natural 1s are a part of the game, as much as natural 20s.

the key to handling combat, be it in a game or even real life, is to keep your cool and stay level headed. because we're dealing with a fantasy game, playing characters who should know much more about the nuances of fighting than we do, it's fine that we take time to talk about what's going on and, out of character, work on group strategies and tactics.

it's part of the learning and tutorial process.

i was looking through a demo game from 2004 earlier today, and it suggests that you keep combat down to the bare bones for new players. i think it might be a little late for that, but since we're not in person and can't use miniatures around the same group table, we're going to have to try and teach ourselves the game as best we can. some mock battles are probably the best way to go.

at this rate, i dont think we'll have time to do any before sunday, unless people want to make themselves available on saturday during the day. therefore, i'd like to know what people think of using this sunday as strictly a combat tutorial session?

we can split it up into separate groups, use premade characters (i'll throw some together), and just practice the basics and experiment a bit with the more complex rules.
  8. Cynical_Youth New Member

Saturday during the day works for me. Instead of the session is also fine.

I have the intro days for my study this week so I won't be online till Saturday, btw.