Members' News 2

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hsing, Feb 2, 2010.

1. spiky Bar Wench

Kat my sympathies.

Maze I'm going to put my money on a rain of black miniature poodles. The worst disaster that could ever befall a family.
  2. TamyraMcG Active Member

I sure hope your brother gets fixed up soon, Mazekin, and may God spare you the plague of poodles, I have only encountered one of those at a time and even one can be very very dangerous, though at least they seldom snore.( my brother and his daughter have 4 pugs between them and when they visit my folks the pugs all come too)

I said elsewhere too, Kat, I'm sorry you lost your Felix.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, the good news is that Toffee has been given the all clear by the vet (who was humming he theme tune to the A-Team while we waited for the blood results) so that's at least one positive thing...
    Hope things work out, maz...
  4. mazekin Member

Sorry to hear about Felix, Kat, but it's great that Toffee got the all-clear.

Brother is still in hospital and I am physically and mentally exhausted; he's started complaining though, so he must be on the mend :smile:. But the yellow-eye thing is still really freaky.
  5. spiky Bar Wench

So there is a cure for being a zobie? Glad he's getting better.
  6. mazekin Member

Yup! 7 days under the dubious ministrations of the Irish Health Board...don't know what he's complaining about - his room was about 10 times better than the one I was stuck in when I was sick.

He's now out - techncially AMA, and is intending to fly home on saturday when he can get a flight and have his own GP do all the follow-up tests they wanted him to hang around for.
  7. OmKranti Yogi Wench

News!

So, I have gone into business for myself. It seems that working for other people was sucking to hard.

I am now the proud owner of the firm Cochran & Company, Inc. We specialize in small business accounting and tax preparation.

Colorado just legalized medical canabis, so all of my clients are dispenseries. :) Such a laid back job. Good times!

This also means that I'm back on the board. Woo Yay.

Missed you guys!
  8. Maljonic Administrator

That's great Om. I could never go back to working for other people. :)
  9. spiky Bar Wench

Congrats Om... Make sure those pots heads can keep track of their money :)
  10. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Yeah...my biggest problem right now is figuring out how to track inventory "shrinkage"

No, Chad, the shake at the bottom of the tub is not "free weed" (taken from an actaul conversation)
  11. spiky Bar Wench

If shrinkage makes the pot stronger then it would be appreciation if it makes it worse then it would be depreciation :) Considering that any held on inventory is classed as an asset then my logic is sound.

I do remember something from first year accounting :razz:
  12. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Shrinkage in an inventory sense refers to "I have 6 pencils in inventory, the guy in the cubicle next to me nicked one and took it home, now I have 5 pencils in inventory"

Not so bad when it comes to nicking pencils, a bit more important when we are talking about "the pound of weed I found in the desk drawer"

And yes, inventory is classed as an asset. :)
  13. spiky Bar Wench

Would nicking the pot count as a perk? Which in Australia falls into the Food and Beverage Tax category :)
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

Speaking of taxes, I got a rather pleasant surprise yesterday when I went in to check my bank account to see if we could afford to get the vet to come round (yes, again), and found that instead of an amount scraping the lower end of the 3-digit ballpark, I had a rather nice 4-digit number for my account balance. Just got half my taxes refunded for 2009, looks like they've been charging me at the wrong rate all along. must do the same for 2008 and 2010 too! Huzzah! We might just be able to buy a house before we're 60 after all!
  15. mazekin Member

Now that my friend is a miracle!
  16. spiky Bar Wench

What that they gave Kat a tax return or that she's been charged the wrong rate?

The tax office doing something stupid doesn't sound miraculous to me but congrats Kat on sticking it to the man...
  17. Maljonic Administrator

I've been given nearly four thousand pounds by the bank by mistake. All my pub friends, of course, say I should keep it. I will have to let the bank know about their mistake though.
  18. mazekin Member

Most certainly them admitting it at all and giving her her money back...:shock:

Mal, they'll probably come after you if you don't :) - although 30 odd years ago, my parents got away with £250 (over a thousand in todays money) when they accidentally underpaid on one of the stage payments for their house and nobody would admit to being owed it when they realised and tried to pay it back; hope it goes that way with you! :D
  19. TamyraMcG Active Member

We've been having interesting weather lately, but not as bad as some places. yesterday they counted 24 tornadoes in the state and the town 35 miles south of me was hit. They were planning an All school Reunion this weekend , but the high school was damaged by the tornado. I was planning on going there for a shoe sale that day but they called me into work instead. So I did two days of Fire Watch instead of one, and I still get an extra weekend off to celebrate. This is handy because this weekend is the Annual Carsonville Volunteer FireFighter's Pig Roast. There will be pie and wild rice hotdish and beer. It is in my little hometown and on Father's Day so I'm glad I can go.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

It is indeed ! Praise be to Ba, lord of the Tax Collectors Smiting Commitee
  21. Roman_K New Member

So... finally went a bit up in life, so to speak, in that I'm finally getting paid for my work (or military service, rather). New rank (equivalent to Captain), new uniform to go with that soon... in an actual paycheck that isn't spare change. Now I'll probably feel that slight pang of guilt when I surf around the 'net during a prolonged coffee break.
  22. mazekin Member

Congratulations Equivalent to Captain Roman!
  23. Maljonic Administrator

Nice one Roman. :)
  24. Hsing Moderator

Congratulations! :)
  25. spiky Bar Wench

*Salute* Roman.

Wasting time while being paid is all part of the job :)
  26. TamyraMcG Active Member

Just a few more days until I go to the Twin Cities for CONvergence, I have clicked little boxes to express my eagerness to attend several activities during the con, including "Viewing Terry Pratchett's 'The Colour of Magic' and 'Going Postal'. I just hope they have room for me, apparently the Seamstresses Guild is hosting, Do you think I should apply for membership? It does appear that plenty of the more fun things to do will be happening after the last shuttle from the CON to my hotel, so my first order of business is determining the route between the two places and praying for a parking spot. Luckily it is over a major holiday and there are adjacent parking spots that while probably aren't technically supposed to be available...
    Three days of work, one day of preparation, four days of partying with three thousand geeks, and another week to recover. The next couple weeks are going to be at the very least different from my usual existence.

And Death payed another visit to my world last week, another co-worker, Sally. She was 79 and 3/4 year old and was working up to maybe a week before she passed away from liver cancer. They called her funeral a "Celebration of Life Service" It was nice, there were quite a few from the plant there, the lady worked 17 years at our plant and had worked 40 at another food factory in her hometown, along with raising three kids and burying two husbands. She was quite a gal.
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

Got some good news yesterday! I was offered a new role at work, going from web developer to lead copywriter for the whole website. This is totally awesome, and it was really nice to have actual professional writers being very complimentary about my work and offering me this opportunity just based on my work. Me happy! Me write plenty nice words make webbysite aaaaallll shiny now! Me good with wurdz.

Unfortuantely, it doesn't mean a promotion or any extra cash, yet, but it's a great step for me, after 10 years doing the same job (webdesigner/developer), it's nice to get a chance to move on and move towards something I'm actually good at.
  28. Maljonic Administrator

Nice 1 Katcal, you show them dimbos how to right good!
  29. TamyraMcG Active Member

It turned out to be 4500 geeks, and Going Postal was so cool. The group that showed it had permission from Terry himself to show it and have a party room all set up for next summer's North American Discworld Convention in Madison WI. I am sooooo wanting to go to that party. They bought 125 pounds of Tea Biscuits to give away at the CON with sweet cold tea and after 9 pm a special extra ingredient was available( orange infused vodka) that goes great with tiny lemon flavored cookies. I of course spent a bunch of my time at the place the grown ups hang out, Krushenko's. All in all I had a wonderful time and anybody any where near the Twin Cities during July should consider coming sometime. From what I can tell CONvergence is one of the cons that are really really fun. Next Year's theme is "Tomorrow Through the Past" featuring Steam Punk. I guess I need to find a pair of opera glasses at the very least.
  30. spiky Bar Wench

Congrats Kat!

I've had the warst week ever... Being dragged over the coals by the boss, had to double mark 50% of all exams, step-nana died, and a car accident...

I've got passed the 3 rule and am clinging to things can only go up from here...
  31. TamyraMcG Active Member

I sincerely hope you are right, SpIky. That does sound like a horrible terrible week. Tomorrow after work I'll be halfway through my eight day work week, it was supposed to have only been the second day but I worked my regular days off to fill up the old paycheck.

My mom is getting a new stone patterned laminate floor in the kitchen, dining room, and laundry room tomorrow, so I suppose I should go see her and help move stuff back, maybe I'll be lucky and the floor guys will have already moved the rolltop desk. It sounds like the Turkey may have a new home in the livingroom.

My brother shot it twenty some years ago and had it mounted and put in this 30X30X30 inch glass case which has been in the corner of the diningroom ever since. Mom wants him to buy a bigger house partly so he can have room to take the turkey there. the only problem with having the thing in the livingroom is that you can apparently see it really well now. It is a pretty thing as far as taxidermied things go but turkeys, especially large turkeys are kind of strange looking at best.
  32. mazekin Member

What a crap week Spikey; fingers, toes, eyes and hair crossed that things get better for you!

Tamyra, I think your mother needs to do what my mother did a few years after my sister moved into her own place...just turn up at his place with the Turkey and say 'Look what I found; it's yours isn't it? Here you go, you must have really missed it; I know how important it is to you, so you had better have it here where it's safe!' with a big bright smile.

(Note: It wasn't a turkey in our house, but five or six three foot by two foot storage boxes full of school & college books & papers that had been sitting in her room)...of course, the antique typewriter that would break your foot and possibly through the floor if you dropped it is still at the bottom of a wardrobe...
  33. TamyraMcG Active Member

My mom probably would do that except the case is made of heavy thick glass and weighs about as much as she does. She has gotten rid of almost everything that belonged to me and my other brother and sister, but the brother who belongs to the turkey seems to have powers that the rest of us don't, I think it has to do with his grandkids.
  34. Jnine New Member

Hi There

Well the kids have broken up for the holidays. My youngest has left nursery to start school so the house will be empty in September. So maybe I'll be able to catch up with the 5 years of jobs that haven't got done because I've been busy looking after him. He has a tracheostomy so needs 24 hour care, but he'll have his very own nurse in September to go with him to school, fingers crossed that all the action plans and forms have been filled in correctly.

We had some news about his health which wasn't great, basically he's got a hole in his larynx which has been repaired, but has narrowed his oesophagus so he is currently unable to swallow. But has he is fed through a gastro tube he really doesnt mind that much. But there is always a but have you noticed that, they have never had to perform the operation to repair this in a child of 5. So they are trying to come up with a plan, we will just have to wait.

On another note my daughter had her primary school prom, limo, dress, hairdresser to do the hair, tiarra and jewellery oh and lets not forget the hunt for shoes. How can a girl who joined the scouts because she loves doing all the things boys do, like rock climbing, archery etc suddenly become so girly, my feet may never recover but she had a great time.

My eldest son today has filmed a pop video for his arts award, after giving me a list of props that he thought he might need, I think he thinks I have a magic wand that magically produces these things. Here is the list

3 black or brown wigs
    1 Top Hat
    2 Cuddly Snakes
    1 Drum Kit
    2 Mini Electric guitars
    1 Broom
    1 Feather duster
    1 Apron
    and a cd player

oh did I mention that I had 1 week to find the above, sometimes i wish I had magical powers.

Janine
  35. TamyraMcG Active Member

We used to have three cuddly snakes, if by cuddly snakes you mean plush snakes,two of them were identical and my brothers used them as weapons in their ongoing brotherly love(war) games.

I am fighting another bout of cellulitis, I will miss at least three days of work, and if there isn't much more improvement then I have seen I can't rule out more lost work, maybe I'll even have to go to the hospital for IV antibiotics. I'm hoping some sleep will turn the tide but I haven't been very sleepy for some reason, maybe it has been all the time I have been in bed with my leg up? I see my doctor tomorrow so here's hoping I hear good news.
  36. morrisdancer New Member

nothing particular

Starting a busy weekend - it was a good start because the power was cut off at work at 1pm so I had no choice but to go home! But not so good because now I feel guilty that in my extra afternoon off I haven't managed to redecorate the dining room (there is a story there).

Tomorrow I have to go and be a morris dancer (is there no justice?) at someone's wedding - I presume they think it'll be "lucky"? Well the truth is they'll be lucky if they get any half - decent dancing, most of the side (team, troupe or what you will) are away and I've got a pulled muscle in my leg. On the plus side we have been promised champagne!

Sunday - more dancing, if my leg will still work, this time at a village fete; then a party for a friend's xth birthday (x=more than a lot, but not quite as much as a very lot).

And then back to work Monday, still without painting the dining room.
  37. sampanna New Member

For those that may remember me - I'm back. Finally got my hands on Unseen Academicals, and I realized I have to get over inertia and start frequenting this place again. Work and personal stuff took over, so there was a bit of a gap from my last post :(
    Some news since I was here last - at 6 months old, making good use of his feet and starting to show signs of a straight left, I introduce the newest addition to my family :)

Attached Files:

38. Maljonic Administrator

That's awesome dude, you can join in with the Garners and their baby talk now. :)
  39. sampanna New Member

Cool, congrats Buzzfloyd, Garner :) I see from the start of this thread that you have a boy too :D
  40. TamyraMcG Active Member

He's gorgeous Sampanna. If I was you I'd definitely keep him.
  41. spiky Bar Wench

Awwww what a cutie :)
  42. mazekin Member

...an icecream van is taunting me. It keeps parking right outside my house...

and I'm in line to be made redundant in January...

....but right now I'm mostly upset about the icecream van...bloody Mr. Whippy and your dingly-dong music...

Sampana, he's a handsome little man!
  43. sampanna New Member

:) Thanks Mazekin.

Funny, I have never seen an ice cream van except in the movies.
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Aw shucks Maz, I hope that works out in the end (also, ice-cream vans are EVIL - unless you actually want ice-cream that is.) I'll keep ny fingers crossed for you, let us know how you go, eh?
  45. Katcal I Aten't French !

I got bored the other day, and in the wake of the whole Stig/Ben Collins debacle, I made this. Help save The Stig

Enjoy.
    Note for Americans and other aliens: The Stig is a character on the BBC show Top Gear. If you don't know the show, I suggest you spend the next 12 hours watching bits of it on youtube.
  46. mazekin Member

Kat - I love that link!

Ice-cream vans are pretty usual around here; they just never usually park in my estate...and now it's really autumn, the dingly-dong music has thankfully stopped taunting me.
  47. Hsing Moderator

Ooooh, congratulations Sampanna, and welcome back!
    I agree to what Tamyra said! :smile:

I still like it in the new city, I was an extra in a movie, moved a lot of stuff around, got my daughter used to getting up early and go to school, and inbetween, I gave in and put another cat video up on youtube. Like everybody else in the world, seemingly. :)
    Here:
    YouTube - Cat loves Shirt

Mazekin, that sucks - hopefully, until it's January, something comes up. Three realtives of mine lost their jobs last year, they all found something new though within three months...
  48. mazekin Member

Got a double whammy today; I am losing my job, and my sister is losing her job. 2 companies, 1 crappy day. So long E*******...won't miss you, but I will miss the 97 other employees you are kicking out into a recession, just because it's cheaper to ship things off to India. Even though we are the top site globally, have fantastic customer service and none of our customers want the work to leave us. Thanks. Thanks a bunch.

I would also like to thank the insensitive d***h*** who leaked it to the media last night when none of us knew what was coming, so that most of us found out on the radio on the way to work today. Thanks. Thanks so much. Of course the fact that my brother is in a different time zone and found out before even then and texted me at 1am last night to ask me what was going on really helped. I hope you get syphilis.
  49. Maljonic Administrator

Sorry mazekin, that's terrible. Perhaps you and your sister can come up with something to do together?
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh feck maze that's horrible. If you want to let me know by PM what your job was and what/where you're looking for, I can keep my ears open for anything I hear going. Damn that is just despicable letting people find out like that. Arsemonkeys. :sad:
  51. mazekin Member

Thanks Mal, Kat.

Sorry about that post. I was very drunk for the first time in a long time. I didn't even realise I'd posted it...:redface:...I guess thats what happens when they let you go home at noon and you join everybody in the pub.

Kat - I am currently (at least, until they give me my finishing up date) working for a pretty large publishing company - I don't want to say where online. Bummer of a thing is, I can't really move too far away at the moment because of my parents health. Sure, I'll find something, even if I have to clean toilets. I'm thinking of going into freelance copy editing; at least that way I can work from home :smile:
  52. spiky Bar Wench

Sorry to hear that Maze I hope something comes along soon...and that its nicer than toilet cleaning.
  53. randywine Member

Hi everyone. Been away for a while. Both good and very shitty things happening. Unfortunately myself and the world lost my partner Maria in August, she finally lost her courageous fight with her chronic and terminal illness, and I am just now finding my way back whole. Hope everyone is well, I'll catch up on all the members news stuff soon and be back to begin a part of the group again.

Randywine.
  54. spiky Bar Wench

Oh Randy I'm so sorry to hear that. We'll be here for your trip back.
  55. Katcal I Aten't French !

Geez Randy, really sorry to hear that, it's very sad news. Thinking of you and your families...
  56. Maljonic Administrator

Sorry for your loss Randy. What are the good things that have happened?
  57. TamyraMcG Active Member

Randy, I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope your good memories put the shitty stuff in its place.
  58. mazekin Member

So, so sorry to hear that Randy
  59. Katcal I Aten't French !

Wow, this place sure is empty! Guess facebook has us all occupied elsewhere eh? Well, just for the sake of updating you all, here's my news:

We have moved back to France. It was a big step and a hard decision to make but the right opportunity came along and it just felt right in the end, so we went for it. We had an epic trip over with a rickety old caravan and 2 cats in tow, and although we got here on August 15th, our stuff is still in transit somewhere so we've been living on camping furniture for 2 months now. Fingers crossed it should reach us next week. Heigh ho...
  60. TamyraMcG Active Member

I hope your furniture didn't have too big an adventure in transit. Facebook does take a bunch of my time, especially when my computer is just a little slower than usual, then a little bit slower than that... I haven't any good news, my dad is getting shunts placed for dialysis tomorrow. They are going to try home dialysis first because regular dialysis is too harsh for his heart to take, they think. In any case it will be a month or so before he actually does get to come home, if he doesn't die in the process. The doctors told my mom it might not be a bad idea for the family to all gather so i'm going up to see him tomorrow and stay with my uncle and aunt. My brother had to feed him his supper tonight, he is too shaky to keep food on a spoon right now. He used to say he didn't ever want to have dialysis but now that it is his only choice, besides dying,he is going to do it. We'll see how long he can keep this up. It is a hard thing to watch him suffering but harder thinking about doing with out him.