Jingo

Discussion in 'THE WATCH BOOKS' started by RobertArvanitis, May 17, 2008.

1. RobertArvanitis New Member

In "Jingo" Terry Pratchett uses an elegant, Arabic-looking font to indicate conversation in a foreign language.

Anyone know the name of that font? Source?

Many thanks
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

This has been bugging me since i saw this post because I knew I had used that font before, and it is a very nice one, but the name just wouldn't come back to me. I finally found it, and of course, the name is completely obvious. It's called Aladdin. Aladdin Font | dafont.com
  3. RobertArvanitis New Member

Katcal:

Many thanks for the fast and accurate response.

Closest font I found until you wrote was "Caliph" on "MyFonts." Not as good as yours: Caliph font family : MyFonts

And it was exceedingly clever the way Pratchett uses faux-Arabic to indicate conversation in a foreign language.
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yes, Caliph is very close too... Aladdin is free though :D
  5. randywine Member

The guys who did the Astrix the Gaul books also used different fonts to show the different languages that were being spoken. - at least in the English translations...

I've just installed that font and it's really very groovy...thanks Kat (and Robert for asking the question)
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep, they did the same in the original French ones, the egyptians spoke in hieroglyphs :D