Isolated tribe discovered in Brazilian rainforest

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by mowgli, May 30, 2008.

1. mowgli New Member

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Isolated tribe spotted in Brazil

With all due respect to the people shown (I hope this and the subsequent encounters with their pride, health and happiness intact!), I am wondering as to what went through their heads as they were firing arrows on the surveyor plane...

"Holy crap! A ginormous eagle that makes crazy noise. Let's kill it before it steals our children!"

or

"Damn, they found us! Let's bring it down before they tell anyone else!"
  2. Maljonic Administrator

So that's what they were talking about on the radio today, I thought the story was about a low flying aircraft over Scotland.
  3. Rewr New Member

If it was Scotland - the headlines would have been 'airplane missing'!:D

I hope that the tribe(s), as I'm sure there are more, are left untroubled by civilization. But they probably won't be.
  4. Mynona Member

My first thought was 'I feel sorry for them' My second thought was 'I wonder who'll find a way to make profit off of them first?'
  5. mazekin Member

I saw on the news that they are going to completely leave them alone. The Brazilian government are sectioning off a very large patch of their area and are going to make sure no one disturbs them. I also heard that the helicopter crew & passengers have all declared that they won't say where the tribe are to keep them protected. At last, some people seem to have some sense when it comes to these things. It would be sad to see them in five years time as a tourist destination. I hope the Brazillians do what they say they are going to do and keep them protected.
  6. mowgli New Member

From your mouth to God's ears, Mazekin!
  7. Hsing Moderator

Indeed. But the idea of hordes of paparazzi trying to find a way around this boycott and getting lost in the jungle amuses me.

I also wonder what they thought when they saw the helicopters, and wether this day makes it into their lore and how...
  8. spiky Bar Wench

I'm less worried about the tourists as I am about the missionaries... Yes they still go to tribes to bring god and convert the natives. I got invited on a missionary tour of Kalimantan (Indonesian Borneo) and I thought I'd rather sccop my eyes out with a sppon than do that to a culture.
  9. redneck New Member

Not all missionaries want to make nice little westerners out of new tribes.
  10. spiky Bar Wench

It's not so much the intention of the missionaries but i went to one remote tribe that had been converted and one woman told me that they lost a lot of their traditions because they used to think that everything western was christian and in converting to christianity they took on a lot of the west because that s what they thought christianity meant...

I just think that messing about with people's religion changes fundamental parts of their culture no matter what good intentions you may have... the whole point of mission work is that the people you are going to in same way need your help, I don't think the people of the Brazilian rainforest need help other than to be left alone and their habitat protected... Neither of which requires religion.
  11. Maljonic Administrator

I just overheard an ad on the BBC regarding a documentary about this lost tribe, or lost tribes like them, coming on TV soon.